Protaras Hotels

Our Members Say

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sunrise Beach Hotel: Seaview is Indispensable, Friendly, -Top Location

I only spent some hours here so this review is kind of brief. You see, the next door 5* Sunrise Pearl was fully booked. When I am out travelling I don’t have internet access all the time so I missed an email where the hotel was informing me about this unexpected change.

To make story short I expected at least my room to have a sea or side view. I was totally disappointed, but luckily it was just for this one evening.

ROOM: I had room #238. The view could not be worse!
The interior was not that bad –a standard room of a 3 or 4* hotel. Double glazed windows, but there was still noise coming in from the bars and round area in the evening. Luckily I carry earplugs when I travel.
The room though was impeccably clean, spacious and comfortable. Coffee/tea facilities and a minibar are provided.

I asked for a blanket at 11.00pm when I noticed how heavy and uncomfortable the bedspread was. Usually bedspreads of this kind are decorative only and there is always a blanket underneath. Not in this case however. The boy shows up shortly after the call with a second one identical to the one I had. He said he cannot find a blanket because the Housekeeping was closed. I knew I would not be able to sleep that night, I did not accept it, but to my luck I was brought a blanket minutes later, which was clean all right, but of poor quality.

TV: Not a single Greek/Cypriot channel which I find unfair. It was only the BBC and all other channels were Russian or channels of no interest. I was told that sometimes residents change them, so I had somebody come to (fix ..?) it while I was out for dinner. The result was just the same, the electrician did come but with No result.

WI FI: With the Guest Access Code, I had internet Only in the Public areas and None in the room although I was told that this was possible.

BATHROOM: The bathroom was spotless with much light, fittings and the toiletries were nice but towels were not that bright and need to be replaced for new ones.

Rooms similar to this one are only for people who don’t mind noise coming from pubs and the round area, and would stay outdoors the day long. It is worth to pay the extra for a sea view room, otherwise don’t bother at all. Such rooms can totally spoil your holidays.

GYM FACILITIES: Residents from the next door sister hotel –the Sunrise Pearl can use the Health Club facilities (steam room/ sauna/Jacuzzi and indoor pool) totally free, while the residents of this hotel have to pay a fee to use the Sauna and Steam room -€8.50 respectively. A rental fee for Squash rackets (2) + a ball cost €8.50 per hour. Have in mind that only Gym and Pool are the two free facilities provided to residents.
Dinner, but also breakfast the next morning were taken at the next door hotel, so I cannot comment on these.

In general though, the hotel is nice, pleasing interior, it is popular with many repeaters, and the staff and management extremely friendly.

In all, if you plan to spend your holidays here, be sure to book a Sea view or at least a Side view room. Otherwise don’t bother.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Seniors, Food and Dining, Beaches
  • Written November 4, 2013

Interior of the room

Sunrise PEARL Hotel & Spa: A Brand New Hotel -A JEWEL

The Gem of Protaras! After a 3 night stay I can assure that it justly deserves the No.1 rank on TripAdvisor. The Sunrise Pearl is the sister hotel of the next door Sunrise Beach 4* hotel of the Company.

LOCATION: Centrally located on the most beautiful coast of Cyprus, on the finest stretch of golden sands and crystal turquoise waters. Protaras is a vibrant resort and the Pearl is only a few metres from the famous Fig Tree Bay. There are countless shops, amusements, bars and restaurants to the doorstep.

INTERIOR: A contemporary clean-line style, open space and simplicity are the words I can use to describe the interior. It has an atmosphere of supreme style and distinguished comfort.

CHECK-IN/ RECEPTION: Smooth, swift and efficient. The luggage was carried to the suite. The welcome drink comes as a treat and was appreciated. The bravo goes to the entire group and the porter as well, but an extra bonus goes to Glykeria who was always there for me. She would recommend, advice, and helped me so much. Her smile and goodwill would make my day.

STAFF/MANAGEMENT: A bunch of professionals who make a conscious effort to ensure that their guests will have a memorable stay. The majority of them are Greeks and Cypriots and I honestly felt this special touch of the Cypriot hospitality here. The excellent personalized service, commitment and professionalism makes the Sunrise Pearl stand out.

ROOM: I had the garden view 36m2 Junior Suite #801, with private decked terrace and direct access to the shared adult pool. The chic interior of the suite creates a very promising romantic ambience. A glass sliding door partitions off the bedroom from the sitting lounge which is tastefully decorated with comfortable sofas (convertible beds). A well-equipped suite with style and sophistication, featuring contemporary décor, with distinct emphasis on comfort and tasteful elegance.

The King size bed had an up and over bed head canopy which provided a creative and sophisticated center-piece. Linens bright, spotless and fragrant.
Facilities like a full mini bar, safe, hairdryer, 2 flat TV, coffee/tea facilities, robes, slippers, magnifying mirror, built in speakers to listen to music directly through (private) mp3/i-pod players. Bottles of water were replenished daily.

Complimentary treat: Surprise indulgence of a favourite French wine (Edmond Bernard and a platter of seasonal fruit. A nice gesture indeed!

BATHROOM: A flat coloured crystal in-between door separates the toilet from the bathroom (two in one). Chic fittings, 2 vanity basins, a bathtub /rain shower, bright and glittering surface. Decorative ceiling alcoves light the room making it look bright and luxurious. Spotless fragrant towels, and finally the amazing French 50ml toiletries –the L’Occitane products give this extra touch of pampering.
If I had to describe all the above in 2 or 3 words I would say Top Line at Every Aspect! Of course if pampering is what you are after, don’t miss visiting the amazing Pearl Spa.

THE SPA: The Spa has lined up several tempting cost-saver propositions for its guests who appreciate the benefits of top-to-toe treatments for beauty and wellbeing. Reasonable & affordable, the spa has an alluring décor. It is the Jewel of the resort and none of the guests should leave without having at least one treatment here. The high degree of personal attention is what you notice the moment you enter the doors of its lounge and you are instantly in the hands of expert and skillful consultants. I was impressed with the professionalism of the entire team, but Elina who happens to be the supervisor stands out by far compared to other Spa supervisors I came across in the past in other Spas. She truly deserves an extra credit.

The “Aqua Thermal Journey” is recommended to be followed prior to any spa therapy. It optimizes better results and costs €35.00 –duration 70 minutes!
The guest is guided through a sequence of different heat & water experiences. The highlight of this specific journey is the contrast of the Snow Chamber after a Steam bath. The snow filled cocoon with icy temperatures cools the body and the effect on the circulation induces anti-inflammatory & regenerative properties, leaving the body feeling toned & refreshed. The next step is entering a classic Finnish sauna.
This amazing journey begins with a Foot bath, Sanarium, Thalasso pools, Invigorating showers, and more.

MASSAGES: There is the Massage Journey of the Earth, or the Sea as they are called, but I chose the Muscle Melt Back Massage out of the three. (De-stress delight and the Deep Tissue one).
With this specific massage I was instantly relieved from the muscle tension and although the session was very short I continued to feel the effects 3 days later. Nancia, my therapist is known for her expertized and skillful technique as she has had a special training on this. I only wished the clock would stop that moment so that she would go on and on! The fee for the 25 minutes was €40.00.

Finally after all this pampering, take time in the relaxing lounge of the spa. Sit back, close your eyes, take a deep breath and let your positive thoughts travel you.

TIP: Guests receive a complimentary Spa €20.00 discount voucher upon arrival. Facilities like the Indoor pool, Steam bath & Jacuzzi are totally free but they are taken at the sister hotel Sunrise, next door.
Watch out for the weekly special promotion!

BREAKFAST: It is taken at the Waterfall restaurant, the choice is extensive.
There are plenty of normal/healthy option counters on hot/cold dishes enough to fill you up till dinner. Quality and ingredients are of excellent taste and there is anything you can think of. Don’t miss the amazing local pastry pies!

Open kitchen with chefs behind preparing savory omelets, pancakes and other delicacies. The terrace is big and the view from out here is beautiful but there are times it gets very crowded. Personally I preferred going after 9:30 am and I had no problem.

LUNCH/DINNER: Sumptuous! Highly skillful chefs in techniques and traditions of the International culinary art serve directly from the open cooking area of the restaurant. Mr. Eliades the inspiring and talented Head Chef claims that in his cuisine the chefs use virgin olive oil and exceptionally fresh local seasonal products, many of which are organic.

Herbs from the Cypriot countryside add to the exquisite flavor and extra aroma. I have dined here twice during my stay and I was amazed by the impeccable service, the friendly atmosphere and professionalism of each and every member of the staff. An extra credit goes to the maître d’ hotel, Thanos who is an expertise professional. Dinners are accompanied by instrumental music, the view is promising and of course formal code is required.
TIP: Guests should book their meals the night before in the various restaurants.

A LA CARTE: Dining at the al fresco FISHBONE Seafood Restaurant is indeed a treat. With the full moon above it is even magic! The spot is idyllic and the service impeccable.
Cooked/Grilled seafood –the catch of the day.

(My Detailed & Extended Review of This Restaurant appears on the Restaurants’ Page.)

MISTRAL RESTAURANT: (Mediterranean Cuisine mostly for snacks and refreshing salads). It opens for lunch and remains open till 15.30 pm. Friendly, personalized service, amazing view of the pool and gardens which are extremely inviting.

GARDEN: The colour of white and the fine lines of architecture of the resort prevail anything else and come in contrast with the blue of the pools and the green of the lawn garden with the beautiful Palm trees. The whole premises is like an oasis of luxury that you forget what takes place outside.

SWIMMING POOLS: Personally I never use them. Pool-lovers however will adore this place out here because the Pearl provides 4 in all to cover the expectations of the most demanding guest.
The pool attendants are amazing guys, extremely friendly and helpful. I noticed that they are alert throughout the day long. From the chart they have they know exactly when a guest leaves or checks in. If the seats you are given are not satisfying do let the boys know and they will do everything they can to find you the best available. I have chatted a lot with them. They are jovial and discreet but be polite to them as well.
A nice gesture from the management are the refreshing napkins and the freshly cut fruit which are offered to guests by the pool and garden.

In a nutshell, the stay was not that long but I did have the opportunity to see how this place operates. It is by far the Most Beautiful Spa Hotel in the round area, and yes, it deserves the Excellency Award from TripAdvisor this year. Keep the good work up guys, continue to work with the same passion and be yourselves. I cannot say that the hotel is cheap but it excels at personalized service, glamour and luxury and if you really want to pamper yourselves and experience all the above, this is the right place to be.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Spa and Resort, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches
  • Written November 1, 2013

Interior of the suite

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

CAVO MARIS Beach Hotel: By far the Best Family Hotel in Protaras.

Where to start! The Cavo Maris has a 22 years history. I am back once again only because it happens to be one of my favourite and I consider it the #1 Family Hotel in Protaras. So nice each time to see familiar faces and friends around! Personally, with all my background experience of travelling and spending a quarter of a year in hotels, I consider the Cavo Maris a 4*hotel. It fulfils all the specifications of one such and exceeds by far many that claim to be four stars and they are not. A handicapped friendly hotel as well. I keep watching through the years the many changes, the achievements and high standards this hotel sets and I am impressed. Guests are treated like part of the family.

CHECK-IN: Efficient and swift. I arrived half an hour earlier but it was no trouble at all because I kept busy greeting friends and had the warmest of a welcome back.

STAFF/MANAGEMENT: A bunch of professionals, an unbeatable team. In fact the human side of this hotel is remarkable and makes the difference. A personalized service that you don’t need to be a repeater to feel it. You will come across guests kissing and hugging, exchanging little gifts they bring along from their homes for their friends –management and staff. I have heard and talked with people who have been back 17 to 20 times. If this is not remarkable, then what! Surely all these (40% repeaters some return twice a year) are not stupid. It is one of the few hotels that make me feel like returning home. A totally friendly atmosphere and if you really want to feel the warm touch of the Cypriot attention and hospitality (a commitment here) this is the right place to be. If the word-limit was not a problem I could go on and on.

LOCATION: I cannot think of a better one. Set on the outskirts of Protaras by a superb sandy cove away from noise disturbance, hustle & bustle and still so close to the centre. It is only a 15 minute pleasant walk to the Fig Tree Bay. Get by bus only for €1.50 to Protaras or Ayia Napa or anywhere in the district you wish. The reception staff will be more than helpful to give timetables.

ROOM: My #112 overlooked the stunning cove which is fabulous. I could not stop taking photos at intervals throughout the day because the view is exceedingly beautiful. The same scene has different reflections and colours as the day goes by and of course I would never miss the panoramic sunrise, where I would have the double glazed windows open and just sit and watch the sun rising from the sea. What a treat! It pays the little extras to have a sea view room.

The room was specious airy, bright, well equipped, spotless and fragrant. The management is lucky to have ladies like Nandia (Bulgarian) from the housekeeping. Energetic, hardworking and efficient. If you are lucky to meet her you will also have the same feeling. She would make my day with her good word and smile.

The bed was comfortable (single attached) and I had a good night sleep throughout the stay. Tea/Coffee facilities, a Mini bar & a Safe are provided upon request with very little actually. I use the mini bar only for cooling water but there is a water point in the corridor that provides this for free so you can get this any time. If I needed something I would call the room service. The price of everything is reasonable. I came across some reviews from people who make a fuss about these facilities. I believe as from the coming year though this problem will stop because everything will be included in the package. Be sure to check for the “Ultra All Inclusive” Pack.

I advise guests to let the management/reception staff know if something comes up instantly instead of waiting until they get home and write a negative comment. This can only break the spell of your holidays. The one and only concern of the people behind this hotel is to offer their guests the very best and memorable stay.
BREAKFAST: Rich, excellent quality and varied with everything you can think of.

LUNCH/DINNER: Local/Mediterranean cuisine, (meat/seafood) amazing salads, seasonal fruit and variety of dessert. Platters are replaced instantly and there is adequate quantity for all. Pleasant atmosphere, impeccable professional service. Leaving the premises for another restaurant is not the best idea because the menu which includes the soup of the day as well, changes daily and is based on a 2 week rotation. You will be impressed as to how extremely friendly, attentive, hardworking and passionate the restaurant staff is.

GARDENS/BEACH: Beautiful terraced lawns well looked after, totally free sun-loungers for all guests are so beautifully looked after that many 4* & 5* hotels would envy. The handy umbrellas/wooden shades need only to be turned around to get shade or sun. No need to move the bed, and at the base you can find a trash bin and several inches above, a small stand with a built-in ashtray and holders to place a drink, your book or anything.

The blue umbrellas below right on the sandy beach are under a fee which is collected from all the round beaches of Protaras and Ayia Napa. This money goes to the Municipality for the services they provide for clean coasts. Unfortunately several guests cannot afford this extra expense, carry their own towels from home and prefer to spend the day long out here right on the sand with no seat or shade instead of using the hotel’s loungers which are free. They seem comfortable though and this shows how eager they are for real beach holidays.

There is an option to hire towels to use around the beautiful pool and premises for only 1 Euro a week each piece. Many cannot comprehend this and they keep complaining because they never show the patience to listen and understand how this “clever system” functions. You can get as many towels as you wish and pay the deposit to the reception. You can keep the towels throughout the week with no extra payment and when you return them you get back your deposit in full. If you wish to get a clean one during the day, you take it to the pool attendant, pay 1 Euro and get a clean fresh one. (Laundry expenses) This simple thing many refuse to understand because they are negative from the beginning. These measures are taken so that guests won’t take towels home as well. They simply present the card, get their money back and that’s so simple.

BUDGET ROOMS: I find the idea of “Budget inland rooms” clever and I have heard that they are going to be introduced as from this coming year. Guests who book these rooms should know that the size/ facilities are exactly the same but the rooms face the entrance and the parking lot of the hotel, they are noisy because of the busy road or suppliers. These will be offered at lower cost and are ideal for those who intend to stay mostly outdoors and don’t mind noise.

ENTERTAINMENT: Varied and plenty of entertainment both for adults and young children. (Water polo and aerobics, tennis, darts and more). If you have kids this is the place to be. Magicians, fire dancers, karaoke, bingo, even belly dancers and of course one Cypriot Traditional Night every week. An interesting and very popular programe out here. Children can also keep busy at the Children’s game room and there is also a table tennis by the terrace and a children pool next to the adults’ pool by the Pool bar.

WI FI: Free on all public areas on the ground floor. However if you need a really fast, like home service, you have to consider a fee of €40.00 for a whole week which is not bad at all. You can then work from your room …not a bad idea at all if you consider that it costs you less than €6.00 daily.

In all, I didn’t find the slightest flaw and once again I was sad to leave.
If you really seek to find a stunning location and if all the above cover your demands, if you want to join the (family)….well, this is the right place to be.

A HANDY TIP: Avoid taxis in general throughout your stay on the island. They are way too expensive and you cannot imagine what you can save if you use the public means of transport. All hotels usually recommend taxis which is convenient for them –just a phone call and the taxi is outside. Do it only if you are in a hurry and have no alternative. I always move around the island by public transport and find them reliable and very cheap. The “Osea” buses and the ‘Inter City’ are highly recommended especially to this destination. (Check the net links).

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Food and Dining, Beaches
  • Written October 28, 2013
Tip Photo

Panoramic view of the beautiful cove and premises

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cavo Maris Beach Hotel: Professional, Amazing….I can’t wait to return!

I cannot find words to describe how much I loved every minute spent here. I was made welcomed with a smile. As a Guide Writer I had to write about Protaras, and I had to see different hotels checking on great spots to write about.
The fact that it is a family run hotel makes a difference. I had a feeling of entering like a guest but left behind friends whom I want to see again soon. Obviously a good value for money.

The reception staff (Margita and George and not only) were always busy as the hotel was fully booked even in October and I consider the two I mention professionals and hard working.

Out of curiosity I read some comments and I cannot understand the demands of some people. It is so unfair for the hotel. I found the location great while I read that it is at a remote spot much outside Protaras. It is just 13 minute walk to the square of the Fig Tree Bay. The bus stop is just opposite the premises. Every 20 minutes the bus passes by and you just have to wave for the bus to stop. The fare is only a euro. It does not stop if the driver does not see you signalling. Probably many don’t know this.
The beach here with the clear crystal turquoise waters was more than I expected. There might be a few rocks in some parts but in all it is magic. I was swimming for hours while there! I prefer this beach more than the Fig Tree Bay honestly, as here it is like a small bay and not an open sea. I smiled when I read a comment about the cold pool water. Unbelievable! I just wonder though, how can one ignore the crystal turquoise waters of Protaras and prefer a pool! I believe pools in so beautiful areas such as Protaras are just decorative to beautify the premises. How little people know!!

I was given the last room of the corridor on the first floor, facing the swimming pool and the Sirena Pool Bar. The balcony had the same level with the palm trees in the garden so there was much greenery besides the beautiful view of the swimming pool area. I enjoyed the morning sunrise at 6:30 am on both days. I did not want to miss the beautiful colours of the sun rising from the sea each morning.
My room was really comfortable and extremely clean. The bathroom towels were changed daily and they were bright white. I asked the Cypriot lady to leave me one extra shower bath gel and she left me several. I think it was Efthimia. The fact that many Cypriots work for years at this family hotel is an asset. The opposite of what is happening to other hotels where you seldom find a local.

During my stay I had the chance to talk with at least 10 people and a group of friends, something that I always do. They all had something positive to tell. I found people coming for more than 20 years to this same hotel and they now come along with friends and family. These people are obviously not fools!

Breakfast was more than adequate similar to American Breakfast with all sorts of things with more than I expected to find, very scarce for a 3* hotel to offer so much. In all I rate this hotel as a 4* hotel after what I have experience here.
Dinner was again amazing. I never expected so much people in October. The hotel was fully booked, and one thing that impressed me was the fact that there was much food for everyone. The quality was excellent and the taste fine.
Now why the bad comments I have no idea. I believe they are people who don’t know what they actually want. They pay so little and they expect miracles. They become demanding as if they are in a 5* hotel.

I found the evening programme fabulous. There was not a single guest missing and everyone seemed to be enjoying the performance. The second night there was programme with a Cypriot group dancing, children’s dancing, and later on some singing.

The management keeps a record of its guests and there is always a treat for the people who return. I find this positive not only for the owners but for the people who return as well. One of the two nights of my stay there was a special welcoming dinner party with all these people in a separate dining room. There was much going on out there and I felt a bit jealous that I could not attend.

I have only found two negatives here. Internet is not free, but this happens to all hotels in the area after I visited one or two others. (40 euros weekly) The second negative is that you have to pay for the small fridge in the room but still what they ask is not much.

Beach towels cost 1 euro per week. The 5 euro deposit asked is just to secure that towels won’t be stolen and afterwards you get your money back. So what is the big fuss about!! I always carry a small kettle along on my trips, and I usually find kettles in 5* hotels not in 3* hotels. About the safe, well is it so important to use a safe? I just wonder. I am out travelling almost every week and I never use it. Why not lock everything in the suitcase instead? Sun beds are free on the premises and there are beds for everyone. The ones that are next to the coast, cost 2.50 x 2 for a bed and an umbrella but this happens all over because the community is responsible for them and not the hotel.

I highly recommend it, find it truly friendly and much professional. Honestly I cannot wait to return.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Beaches, Budget Travel, Food and Dining
  • Written October 16, 2011
Tip Photo

The crystal turquoise waters of the bay

• rachs123 profile photo rachs123
  • Reviews: 1

melini: melini is brill

Iam allso going on the 24th to the melini for my friends wedding. I have been to the melini lots of times. Its fine i love it its allways my best holiday rooms are big staff are great its just needs a bit of a up date. But you will love it fig tree bay beach is one of cyprus best beaches. see you at the melini

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Beaches, Family Travel
  • Written September 16, 2008

• cloudberry profile photo cloudberry
  • Reviews: 49

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Maistros Hotel Apartments: Sea & building site view

We stayed a week here in 2003. A nice, clean hotel with very thin walls ;) Something new was built next to the hotel so it was interesting to see how the work was done. It was not noisy so it didn't disturb at all.

A quite small pool area but because we prefer the beach, we didn't try it so many times.

• Opinion of Price: about average