Tsokkos Constantinos the Great Beach Hotel

PO Box 33199, Protaras, 5311, Cyprus
Hotelsclick.com Otel.com

Costs 238% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Tsokkos Constantinos the Great Beach Hotel

Room for improvement

by TripAdvisor Member Lindzrs

I stayed at the Constantinos for 1 week with my 2 children and was very impressed with the hotel on arrival. The reception area is lovely and the staff very efficient and friendly on check in. Our room on the top floor was however very disappointing with barely a side view of the sea, dirty furniture on the balcony and cigarette butts all over the balcony floor. There was only a small camp bed for my 12 year old son to sleep on (glad my 6ft 3, 14 year old didn't come with us!!!). The noise from the town was annoying to say the least with drunks wandering round outside the hotel pool area at 3am every morning.
The bathroom was grotty with other peoples hairs stuck all around the shower tiles and floor.
The food was ok but did not vary much. The waiting on staff were more than attentive...taking your plate from under your nose if you paused for a second and half finshed drinks disappeared from your table when you got up to get your next course. The deserts were pretty awful with the cheesecakes / flans being usually half frozen still.
The pool area in the afternoons was an experiance... the locals totally monopolised the entire pool so much so that my own children didn't have room to get in the water. I complained once and was met with a shrug.
Carlos and the entertainment team tried really hard but were fighting a loosing battle getting the locals out of the pool to hold the games and activities.
It is a shame that things are so poor as the hotel could be very nice but at the time of my stay ,is only a poor 4*. Perhaps if the locals were not allowed or limited, things may improve slightly. We found the town to be an extension of Aiya Napa and yes, Elvis still lives... in every bar. Where have all the Greek tavernas gone? We will not be returning to Protaras again and was very disappointed in the whole holiday.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member mccarter

We have just returned from two wonderful weeks at the Constantinos The Great, Protaras. After reading the various reviews about this hotel we really didn't know what to expect. However our fears and concerns were unjustified.

The food in the restaurant was excellent - a very wide selection of salads, main courses and the homemade soup was just superb!! I agree with some of the other reviews that that sweets were not great - but the fresh fruit and cheese really made up for that. My wife is vegetarian and there was a list of 10 options that could be pre ordered, however there was always plently for her to chose from from the normal buffet. On the first day the chef was more than willing to cook her something specially as we arrived late and had not pre ordered.

The breakfast was first class with a very wide selection of fruit, cereals, fruit juices, cold meats & cheeses, breads and the usual full english.

There was 10 of us in our party and we were always able to sit together at all mealtimes.

The accomodation was very comfortable and the rooms were always cleaned and fresh towels suppied. If any issues were experienced the friendly staff always sorted this out immediately.
Infact I could not fault the staff in anyway. All of the restaurant, bar, cleaning anf pool bar staff were very friendly and accomodating.

The beach and hotel pool did get more busy during the weekends as the number of locals did increase - but you would expect this as it is their country!!

Overall a very good holiday indeed and we cannot wait to return next year.

lovely hotel and very friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member sjap

We have just returned from two weeks at the constantinos with our 12 year old daughter. We read the reviews before we went and didn't know what to expect.
The hotel was clean and the staff were very friendly. The food was good and varied. The pool was clean and the beach is beautiful. It does get busier at a weekend but we did not find this a problem and there were always plenty of sunbeds.
Overall a very enjoyable and relaxing holiday. we would definitely return.

Not a 5* Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member petedillon

This is a nice hotel, 5* it is NOT, when we arrived on Sun 20th August 2006, we checked in ok, went to our room to find that it had not been cleaned from when the previous guests had stayed, not a good first impression!, as we went back to reception (myself, wife and two very tired children), and told the reception of this, they just said wait a few minutes and it will be done, no apology , no offer of a drink while we waited (considering we had arrived in the middle of a heat-wave with temps of +40oC) after waiting 25 mins I had to go and ask the porter who was very helpful and tel. phoned our room to confirm maid had left. First impressions of room was that it was way too small for the four of us.

On the food side, breakfast time you do get a good selection, as we were half board I already knew that we could change our dinner for lunch when ever we wanted, the lunch selection was very poor, and as for dinner same old boring food every other evening, you get better selection from the bar area, but this you must pay, even the guest staying there on AI basis were buying food from bar, so I think this is a rip-off.

Pool area,talk about the germans putting out there towels on sun loungers at the crack of down, this is a myth as the only people I saw where the english, also to borrow a towel you have to leave a £5 deposit for every towel(never heard of this in 5* hotels), and when you do go to return your towels the staff at the gym would very ckeekly ask how much money do you want back?).

All in all Travel Agents like JMC should NOT advertise this hotel as a 5*, I will also put in a complaint to ATOL on their star rating...

what a great holiday!

by TripAdvisor Member lizsam

I have just returned from a 7night stay at this hotel and had an amazing holiday. The hotel is stunning and well worth the money. We stayed half board, the evening meals were great and varied every night from roast pork carved from the joint to seafood platters, it was all very tasty.
The rooms were cleaned daily. The towels were cleaned every other day unless you requested new towels every day by leaving them in a pile on the bathroom floor, they would then be changed for you no problem.
The pool area was amazing and very clean.
All in all the holiday was 'A star plus'.

Fantastic hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member plaali

Have just returned from 2 glorius weeks at the Constantinos. We loved it so much we hardly set foot outside of the hotel, even though we had a hire car for our second week. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, and despite what I've read in other reviews, I found everything spotlessly clean. Our room was cleaned daily, and considering we have 2 young and very messy children, the maid had her work cut out for her!
The food was fabulous, such variety and plenty for the kids to choose from.
The hotel has such a lovely setting, right on the beach so you can swim in the pool or the sea - the snorkelling is pretty good and there's lots of water sports available. There are plenty of sun-loungers and even on the days when we were late down to the poolside we managed to find some.
The evening entertainment was very good most nights, Carlos and his team work very hard and put their all into it. They also organise pool games during the day which our kids loved.
Protaras itself is very commercialised, but its lively and fun, the beaches are beautiful and my only critisism would be the shopping - all the shops sell absolute tat!
We had a great holiday and would definately recommend this hotel.

Panic Over!!

by TripAdvisor Member CarolineFreeman

Three days before we were due to stay at this hotel, I read the recently remarks on trip advisor. I was horrified to say the least, we'd researched this hotel fully the previous year when we booked and couldn't believe that a hotel could go down hill as quickly and as badly as people were commenting on.

I travel as part of a large group, 20 in total, made up of 4 families. Our children range from 8 to 16 and there are 12 of them!!

We always book our holiday early so that we can be assured of interconnecting rooms, in fact this year we booked with Argo (slightly more expensive than other tour operators) as they guarentee interconnecting rooms, something that is really important to us, especially as one of the travelling children is a registered as disabled.

We arrived at the hotel to check into our 4 sets of interconnecting rooms (8 rooms in total), to find that not one set of our rooms were actually interconnecting. The hotel didn't apologise and just said, you are all on the same floor and with rooms next door to each other, we may be able to move some of you to interconnecting rooms on Sunday......we arrived on Wednesday!!

On arrival at the rooms, each family put their cases out side of their room so that we could identify where everyone was housed. Some of our party could just about see their young children half way down the corridor - not exactly, rooms next door to each other, albeit they were on the same wing!

Between us, we jigged the 8 rooms around so that most parents could be as near to their own children as possible, mine were still 4 doors down and on the opposite side of the corridor. We planned to speak to the Argo rep in the morning!

Not a great start, we were tired and didn't arrive at the hotel until 8pm, that said, the hotel looked quite impressive. The reception/lounge area was tastefuly decorated, large and well serviced.

The bedrooms were fine, possibly a bit on the small side for a 5* if you wanted to have 3 people in the room, although I understand not all rooms are the same, for example some may have hard flooring and some carpeted, but overall I think they were basically of an above average standard. For the duration of our holiday our room was kept spotless, towels changed every day, linen every 3rd day in fact I couldn't fault the cleaning whatsoever. None of our party encountered any problems with cleanliness throughout our stay at this hotel.

We attending our rep meeting in the morning, Lisa? was informative and professinal and was horrified to learn that our rooms weren't interconnecting. She tried her best to sort our problems out with the hotel, but Argo along with the hotel had no record that our rooms should have been interconnecting. This was disappinting to say the least as we booked through a personal friend at home and there had been an exchange of email by Going Places to Argo (3 exchanges) to be precise, prior to our departure to ensure and confirm that our rooms would be right on arrival at the hotel. The best she could sort was, as the hotel had told us the night before, interconnecting rooms would be available to us on Sunday, not four sets though!

We raised our concerns to Lisa regarding the recent comments on trip advisor and were told that the hotel had received many complaints during the cypriot holidays, it seemed that a lot of the coments on trip advisor were accurate and that over crowding, particuraly at the weekends had been a problem and had caused some unrest and unpleasantness between guests and locals. Our first weekend at the hotel was in fact the last weekend of the cypriot holidays, and whilst the hotel was busier during that first weekend, we didn't encounter any problems and there were certainly enough pool beds to accomodate everyone. We had no problem securing bed for our large party on any day during our stay - no mean feit when you are twenty people, that said we only ever reserved twelve beds and always got them next to each other, we aren't even one of those families that get up at the crack of dawn to 'lay the towels out', although many guests do.

The pool area was kept clean and tidy at all times, with a well stocked bar and food selection. Waitress service at your pool bed is available and regular. The pool was very busy and there wasn't any limited on the number of inflatables allowed in the pool, which made it difficult if you wanted to have a proper swim - that said we stayed at this hotel during the UK summer school holidays, so we expected the pool to be busy and full of families. If you are a young or possibly an older/middle aged couple, this possibly isn't the right hotel for you to stay in during the school holidays, it is very family orientated, loud and busy and whilst I managed to get through a couple of books, if you are looking for pure relaxation and a bit of peace and quiet, this may not be the hotel for you, loud music is played all day around the pool and bar area.

One complaint regarding the pool area, would be the towel service. You do indeed have to pay a refundable deposit of five cypriot pounds on collecting them for the first time, not the end of the world but an inconvenience. The towels are not plentiful and not of a very high standard, I would recommend that your take pool towels with you as on many occassions there weren't any towels available in the morning for us to use. On one occassion we were told that towels would be ready in half an hour, in fact one and a half hours later they still weren't ready and on another occasion we called to collect towels at nine thirty and were told that they would be ready until noon. Towels are also not issued until 10am at the weekend, we felt this was unfair to the paying guests as it meant that locals who brought their towels with them had first pick of the sunbeds!

Carlos and the entertainment team are a real bonus at this hotel. They provide a full range of activities during the day, and put on a varied programme of evening entertaining too. We're not a party that join in all the games and festivities, but Carlos still knew all of our party by name (a strength of his apparently!) and took time out to speak to us daily, always asking how our holiday was going and keeping us informed of what was planned for the day.

We'd booked the 'all inclusive' option for our stay, which given the location of the hotel isn't necessary. The hotel is within a two minutes walk of the main drag where bars and restaurant are plentiful (too plentiful in my opinion, but I'll cover that later!). The restaurant itself was large and comfortable, all bar the heat that is....we were told that the air conditioning was often off, so it was very hot in the dining area, meaning we always tried to grab seating by the open windows. The meals were in my opinion, typical of an all inclusive holiday, buffet style and bulk. Yes it gets a bit repetative, but then i always get fed up with holiday food and this sort of service always feels a little like 'school dinners' to me. That said the food was always hot, fresh and plentiful. Yes they swipe your plate as soon as you have finished, but again that seems to be the normal these days unless you dine in the UK or Paris! One word of warning the restaurant has a dress code for gentlemen, long trousers though they did accept long shorts providing they were way passed the knee!!

The hotel as I said earlier is very near the main drag, that said we didn't encounter any problems with noise or drunks. Yes around 10pm, if you are sat on your balcony you can hear, in the main, entertainment from the neighbouring hotels and bars, but once the patio doors are shut this wasn't a problem. We certainly didn't get woken up in the early hours. Our room faced the Odessa hotel and the adjoining Victoria/ian? bar, both I believe owned by the same group Tssokos? as the Constantinos. They were noisy, but not intrusively so.

This is my third visit to Cyprus, previously we have stayed in Paphos. I have to say, given the holiday overall, whilst we had a lovely time, had great fun and ate and drank well, we won't be returning. The resort lacks any traditional feel, it felt a bit like how I would expect main land Spain to be, loud bars, loud music, karokee and pub singers. This is purely a purpose built holiday resort, with everything except this hotel closing in November, even McDonalds shuts!! If you want to visit Cypus and prefer historic harbours, secluded bays, fantasic scenery and a relaxing holiday, go to Paphos, it caters for everyone and isn't so full on as Protaras.

My overall view would be, that we paid a little too much to stay at this hotel £5,200 for a family of 5. This is an average 4* family hotel and whilst it may aspire to being a 5* it isn't in my opinion any where close to the mark.

If you go, have fun, I'm sure you will, and don't panic, this is not a hotel from hell, well not from my experience!

Oh PS...we got one set of inconnecting rooms on the Sunday, the rest of us went to reception at noon and asked where our new rooms were and were told that we were too late in asking and should have spoken to reception first thing in the morning, apparently they hadn't take note or been proactive in sorting out our problem and put the ownership down to us!!!

Not 5 star by far(Northern Ireland)

by TripAdvisor Member Ormeau

We stayed at this Hotel for one week from 20th September. Having stayed at a 5 star in Paphos in April , we had assumed that Constantinos would be similar - we were very wrong! The reception area was dull and in need of fresh flowers, better lighting etc, not very welcoming. The room was an average size but the bathroom was so small that the door hit the toilet, two people could not use the bathroom at the same time. The general decor of the room was dull and again could do with a bit of updating of bedding, curtains etc. The food at breakfast was rarely warm and there was inadequate tea/coffee making facilities. The food in the dining room in the evening was pretty average with a different theme each night. It was generally ok but nothing out of the ordinary. The waiting staff were young and foreign to Cyprus and snatched your plate away before you had finished your food - this was most annoying. As it was quite late in the season, the pool area and gardens looked a little shabby at times and could have be kept cleaner. Overall, we would class this as a 3/4 star compared with other 5 stars we have stayed in.

Fabulous hotel

by TripAdvisor Member soveryworried

Constaninos the Great Hotel is a really wonderful place to stay.
From the moment you step into the beautiful lobby to the moment the staff help you onto the departing coach with your luggage you will enjoy your stay. The room we stayed in was on the mezzanine level and we had paid extra for a side seaview. Aftera hard day's sunbathing on the beach it was really lovely to be able to sit on our balcony and have a late afternoon cuppa before getting ready for dinner in the evenings. The room itself was very nicely furnished and the bathroom was very clean, with an amazingly hot shower and hairdryer. The dining room was beautiful and a really nice place to eat and the staff were attentive and never left your with a dirty plate on your table, but if they were a bit too eager a smile and a polite word was all that was needed to elicit an apology and a retreat till you were ready. The maitre D's in the dining room ruled with a rod of iron so any problems could easily be sorted out. Food selection was good, Soup for starers followed by salad a vegetarian choice, fish and two or three meat dishes with a selection of vegetables, for main course and then the MOST divine selection of desserts . Small but perfect!!!
Swimming pool was gorgeous and immaculate. All public areas where incredibly clean and well looked after. Plenty of sunbeds and right on the beach too, drinks and snacks easily available (we were half board so we paid for ours but that was fine)
All in all one of the best places I have ever stayed at and if you are lucky enough to be getting married at this hotel I dont think you will regret it.!!
Heartily recommended.

Good Hotel - shame about the detail

by TripAdvisor Member Latchford

This was a very good hotel, rooms were clean (ish), staff friendly and the food very good. I agree with many of the other reviews , though, that this is not a five star hotel. It is let down by the detail - no bath robes, a bit stingy with tea and coffee and very small bathroom. Beach towels were hard to get - all other five stars I've stayed at provided them on the sunbeds.

The location is very good, being in the centre of Protaras and handy for all the bars and restaurants and there is a good beach with no trouble getting sunbeds.

One other thing to be aware of is that the hotel seems to have a problem with over-booking. We got our room the first night but we know of several other people that didn't. and had to be moved to other hotels temporarily.

Tsokkos Beach HotelTsokkos Beach Hotel