Cyprus Hotels

• Freddiexpat profile photo Freddiexpat
  • Reviews: 34

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

2 The Pines: Pissouri Holiday Villa rental

For this trip we rented a villa in a modern development on the outskirts of Pissouri. This was a 2 bed room bungalow with a shower room and open plan kitchen diner/living room. The villa was presented clean and in good order except for some annoying issues which was a shame. There was no bin for the rubbish. inadequate provisions for the guest upon arrival (no tea,coffee,sugar,salt or water). There was only one set of bedding for us for our stay (10 days). Inadequately prepared local information stuffed away in a draw ( written by a 10 year old girl) with a few business cards and a booklet on Cyprus. The table on the terrace and the sun loungers were long past their best. The garden was non-existent and unloved. The environment discouraged you from being able to relax and enjoy the terrace since everything was overlooked from the street or neighbours.
However the location was excellent with the village centre a 15 min walk away where there was a good choice of eateries and bars some with entertainment.
This is a great location to stay and their are many more superior villas to choose from other than ours. If the owners really upped their game it would have been perfect.

Set on the edge of the pine woods and at about 300m above sea level the area benefited from less humidity and cooler breezes than down on the beach(10 min drive). With wonderful night sky's and a peaceful neighbourhood it was perfect.

• Related to: Beaches, Historical Travel, Family Travel
  • Written September 12, 2013

Our Villa

• Freddiexpat profile photo Freddiexpat
  • Reviews: 34

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Pissouri hill village: Cypriot hill villa or beach accommmodation

One of the most important things about your accommodation is to do your research. in Cyprus there is a mature market and this gives a great variety of choice. In our case there were there were three of us. After making comparisons for our stay we managed to find a villa on a good development not too far from the sea (10 mins by car). set up on the hills and about 3'c cooler and less humid than on the beach with beautiful nights with good air (even though there was aircon).

• Written September 6, 2013

• peterdhduncan profile photo peterdhduncan
  • Reviews: 174

Palm Beach Hotel: Palm Beach Hotel, Famagusta

The Palm Beach Hotel, situated by its own attractive sandy beach, is a superb hotel in every way with excellent service throughout. The quality and amount of food for both breakfast and dinner was amazing, and always beautifully laid out. The waiters constantly kept our water glasses refilled: no purchasing of bottles of water.

Our good-sized room, which looked out over the city of Famagusta beyond the hotel's garden, was very clean and comfortable.

The beach has plenty of sunbeds, and behind the beach and next to the hotel is an attractive outdoor swimming pool with a wide variety of different types of seating and sunbeds around it.

The old part of the city is about twenty minutes walk away. However, at times this was an extremely hot walk, and it would have been good if the hotel was to provide an occasional minibus service there and back for guests.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written April 2, 2013

• peterdhduncan profile photo peterdhduncan
  • Reviews: 174

Hotel Bella View: Hotel Bella View, Near Bellapais

The Hotel Bella View is a very pleasant 'boutique' hotel situated about 25 minutes walk from Bellapais on the road down to Kyrenia. The service was generally excellent, and our room was comfortable, and had a view out to the mountains.

There was a good choice of hot and cold food for breakfast. However, it would have been helpful to have had a menu. We found out what hot food we could order from watching other guests, and, on the last day, when there wasn't much fruit out, Andrea asked if there was any more and they brought her a very attractively displayed assortment of sliced fruits. She would have asked for that every day had she known!

We usually ate in Kyrenia or Bellapais in the evenings, but the one dinner that we had at the hotel, which we ate on the terrace by the swiming pool, was excellent.

The swimming pool is situated in an attractive garden, which has plenty of sun-loungers and comfortable seats for guests, and it also contains mini-golf in one corner.

The hotel provided a courtesy minibus ride into Kyrenia in the morning, returning at 5.00 p.m. However, on the day that we used it, it left Kyrenia a few minutes early, resulting in us missing it and having to get a taxi back. The manager did pay us the taxi fare when we told him what had happened. However, we had waited for over half an hour in very hot sun before deciding that it wasn't going to arrive!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written March 8, 2013

Palm Beach Hotel & Bungalows: Guarantee for Relaxing Holidays-A Gem in Larnaca

I spent the last 2 nights of my two week trip here because I knew for sure that the stay is a guarantee of memorable relaxing holidays as I know it for years. I will not return to Cyprus until the end of September again. For me it is like returning home as there are so many familiar faces around and I believe this is part of the secret of its success. I notice how guests are treated especially with the repeaters. It is a hotel I have strong feelings with and even though this is my 4th stay in the premises I remember the long summers when I would fly to Larnaca how I would always come here at the Palm Beach for swimming. For us, people of Larnaca the Palm Beach was and still is a Gem and it continues to rank first in the preference of thousands of guests who visit it the year round.

The Resort is located in an ideal coast with direct access onto a sandy beach only 6 Kms from the city of Larnaca and 12 Kms from the new Airport. There isn’t a better beach in Larnaca than this lovely coast with the safest shallow lagoon like sea bathing waters. The tropical gardens that surround the premises provide the perfect setting for business and pleasure. The high Palm trees in the beach-front give you the idea that you are having holidays in an exotic destination.

I am staying at a luxury garden studio bungalow on the new wing #535 which is at the very back with much privacy. Families with children have the ground bungalows next to the pool and all of them overlook a large lagoon shape swimming pool. The choice of a bungalow is preferable for families than ordinary rooms on the main building because kids have a kind of private garden to play in and they are next to this amazing swimming pool at the same time.

My bungalow is so beautifully furnished that honestly gives the feeling of a home away from home. There was a pot of flowers in the room but I love making flower arrangements and I created a few which decorated the bungalow the two nights I was there. Very simply they filled the place with colour and positive energy. The beautiful colourful curtains match with the bedspreads and there is a semi divided wooden partition that separates the bedroom from the sitting room area. The interior reminds me of hotels I visited in Asia as it has touches of Indonesian décor. It gives me the privacy I need just ideal for what I was after. The facilities in this specific room are those of a 5* hotel and the sofa in the sitting room area can accommodate two children as it opens to a double bed. Coffee facilities are ample with a variety of different brands of tea/coffee and milk. I had a bottle of champagne brought in the room and a platter of seasonal fruit and cool water upon arrival.
The marble bathroom is spacious with a huge mirror, and the toiletries here are the Geneva Guild brand. The soaps are aromatic leaving the skin soft and silky. There is plenty of hot water and beach towels are provided in the bathroom.

Breakfast was ample with rich variety of different kinds of bread, croissants, cakes, variety of cheeses -even grilled “haloumi” was on offer cooked by Niki who was also in control of the omelettes. There was ham and bacon, lountza, boiled, scrambled eggs and the most amazing on the minute mixed omelette. It was the very best, well cooked and rich in ingredients (cheese,onions, green and red pepper, ham/bacon). The restaurant can get crowded if you get there early in the morning and I noticed this happening the 2nd day when I had to leave the premises early. Maria is the lady I remember from my previous stay, efficient, professional as always and alert to meet the needs of the guests. By all means try the plums in cinnamon/orange syrup. They are yummy! I truly cannot understand some tourists and how they react when they come across food…as if they have been starving for days and they suddenly storm in the restaurant and start piling up their plates!! This reaction made me for years avoid buffet dining.

On Saturday the theme night had to do with Greek/Cypriot cuisine and I happened to be out at the Sea Breeze restaurant much earlier taking photos and waiting for some friends. The palm trees give the whole resort a touch of a tropical scene. The beach-front path is always busy with people who constantly pass by –exercising or having an afternoon stroll. The Mediterranean waters are calm and serene and the sky changes colours as the sun sets. For seconds all this beauty travelled me to an exotic distant destination…while in reality I was in my hometown! The surprise came when I saw the amazing dishes on display that evening and for the first time I can honestly say that I enjoyed an amazing buffet. I thought for a minute to get in the kitchen and congratulate the chef. He would surely be busy that time so I am doing this through this review. The rich variety included the best and most popular Cypriot and Greek dishes. The presentation, quality, and taste could be easily graded with an A+. This menu gave the opportunity to holiday-makers get a good picture of the authentic Greek/Cypriot cuisine and taste. There was more to come later on when a small group of 4 from the popular “Karotseri” dancing band showed up and the evening turned to be a memorable big party with almost everyone participating. Guests seemed to be having a hell of a time.

The Sunday night dinner was indoors at the elegantly decorated Omega Restaurant with live guitar music and singing of international classic pieces just like the international theme night. The buffet was amazing and food varied, and I preferred having sea food this time which was unbeatable. Cyprus is popular for its wines and the cellar of the resort houses some of the finest Cypriot and European wines. I had the opportunity to taste a few. The majority of waiters and supervisors are professionals and they are very polite and helpful and I can name Pambos, Pavlos and Mr. Diplis.

The hotel is very popular with wedding venues and there was one such out at the Gazebo. The couple was from Larnaca and I had the chance to see many familiar faces and friends who came to congratulate the couple. I was even given a “lokoumi” which is the traditional Cypriot delicacy given only at weddings.

Don’t miss visiting the Leisure Club which is amazing. Mr. Christos Papamichael is the manager and the business runs on a separate to the resort basis. I have local friends who urged me to visit because they are members themselves and they know that it is one of the best Clubs and Spas in Larnaca. I came to book an appointment for an hour’s hand massage and I was indeed feeling a different person by the time the massage was over. The skilful and professional hands of Maria Istvanne proved to be miraculous. She knew exactly where to put more pressure on. I had this amazing feeling hours after the massage! For residents the use of the pools, table tennis, aerobic classes are free. For non residents it costs 18 euros.
Residents however pay 10 euros to use the Jacuzzi and Steam Bath. Kids are not allowed in the gym area. The products at the Spa for the body/facial treatments are the “Thalgo” brand.
The Hot Stone Massage (50 min) costs 65 for residents and 70 for non residents and an hour’s Hand Massage costs 65 and 70 euros respectively. A 20 minute massage would cost 30 and 33 respectively but I highly recommend the one I had because that includes a full body and scalp massage. If I were living in Larnaca I would surely be a member.

There is a bus stop just outside the hotel. Bus #430 drives you to the city centre in minutes. The cost is one euro but if you want to use the bus the day long it is preferable to buy the 3 euro ticket. If it is just to go and come back prefer two singles. Bus # 431 goes to Finikoudes, Makenzi, Airport and Perivolia and ends up at Faros. Ayia Napa and Protara are easily accessible by bus if you stand on the opposite side of the road and there are two alternatives. There is the Osea Bus #714 taking you as far as Protara and Ayia Napa for One euro. (More info on the net) It passes through a number of villages to end up in Paralimni. The other alternative is the InterCity Green buses which are faster and the fee is 3 euros.

Wi Fi internet connection is free on the grounds of the main building. In all my stay at the Resort was great. For this reason I highly recommended it and I can’t wait to be back!

• Related to: Beaches, Sailing and Boating, Family Travel
  • Written June 17, 2012
Tip Photo

The swimming pool of the bungalow wing

• TrendsetterME profile photo TrendsetterME
  • Reviews: 490

Acapulco Hotel, North Cyprus

What I like most on this Resort is about 1 km long private and fine sandy beach and superb clear water on the sea ... :) The fauna around is green and very relaxing, according to my opinion one of the best holiday villages in North Cyprus.

Am not so good w casinos and gambling, but just for info resort has a large area of Casino for gamblers. Also an open air disco and an English Bar, very large pool w waterfalls, all kinds of water sports r available ....

Hotel is 30 mins car drive to Ercan International Airport, and u can reach Kyrenia (Girne) in about 20 mins ride, which hotel offers several times a day free shuttle to and back ...

There is a main building w bigger rooms, and also an annex/bungalow part w individual rooms in the garden area. I usualy prefer this rooms, as they r fully in garden and away from the general noise of the public hotel areas, but of course thats subjective, u might prefer the main building too ... Rooms r good and large in both parts, w basic furniture, no problems w hot water and aircon, balcony available but small in size, minibar and cable tv ...

Hotel is big in size and area, able to accomodate ca 1.000 guests same time, which makes sometimes long queues on breakfast and meals buffets, but dishes are very well sorted and yummy ....

Very recommendable Resort, I was there several times for leisure and also for some company meetings, so, as business and also w ur family, good choice to stay ...

• Related to: Food and Dining, Casino and Gambling, Beaches
  • Written February 21, 2012

Acapulco Hotel, North Cyprus

Hilton Cyprus: The Perfect Meeting Point for the Business Cliente

I visited the Hilton for a business meeting in October.
For 43 consecutive years it stands as a symbol of exclusivity and a luxurious landmark. It won the award of Best City Hotel in Cyprus for the second consecutive year, voted by readers of the Conde Nast Traveller Awards 2010 under the category of ‘city hotels/ Cyprus, and was chosen for its high level of services and irreproachable hospitality. It also secured the first place as the most popular in the same category. It is the hotel that spoils and pampers its guests. This happened to me on this trip.
I felt like home and I am not exaggerating. Starting with the staff who are surely professionals and multilingual they know well how to make their guests feel like home.
Personally, I postponed until the coming trip to Cyprus, 3 dinner invitations I had in the city those days and chose to remain in the premises.

I had a spacious room (#555) on the Executive floor. Here rooms are much bigger than the Hilton guest rooms and I felt so relaxed and comfortable not only from the amenities found here but the soft colours, décor, and its minimalistic style and touch of luxury. There was nothing exaggerating and all amenities functional and useful.

The bed was huge and lovely just as I expected it to be with huge fluffy pillows. There was a mini bar and just above a separate open space with shelves for glasses, wine, and some delicacies on offer. I found the corner desk with the laptop very functional although I had my own and I spent much time out there working while at the premises.

There was a flat TV with ample of local and international channels to choose from, and one of the two armchairs was next to the side table with an impressive lampshade and coffee facilities. This spot had become my favourite corner for my afternoon coffee when I wanted to watch the news. The emphasis in the whole premises is on elegance and comfort.

The huge mirror in the bathroom made the room seem bigger but it was spacious all right. Toiletries (Crabtree & Evelyn) collection, and when I asked for one or two more I was brought a handful.

The Hilton knows well how to pamper their guests with some VIP courtesies upon arrival. I had a surprise indulgence with fruit and a bottle of some red wine at first. Minutes later I had a plate with Cypriot delicacies in syrup and later some white roses were brought from the cleaning lady for the bathroom creating in minutes a pleasant ambience in this room! Later on, in the afternoon there was another knock on the door, this time I was brought some snacks. (Make sure to put the safety chain behind the door because some male waiters just knock and enter even before you answer).

Guests with rooms on the Executive floor have access to the Executive Lounge on the 6th floor. A beautifully decorated room with fitted carpet comfortable sofas and armchairs creating different private corners, soft pleasing to the ears music, and open for the executive guests free for dining, drinks and nibbles.

The most demanding guest will be pleased with the more than adequate American breakfast offered here. A variety of cereals, dry fruit, omelettes, sausages, mushrooms, pan cakes, ham and bacon, grilled Cypriot cheese (halloumi) yoghurt, rice pudding, different kinds of bread, croissants, biscuits and cakes. Everything is of excellent quality and taste and always under the supervision of professional staff like Gregory’s and many more.

Dinner at the stunning (seasonal) Pergola Grill and Bar Restaurant, -the latest addition to the Hilton by the pool the last night of functioning was a challenge. The Executive chef Adreas Georgiou with the rest of chefs and cooks seem to work miracles in the kitchen. The presentation of every dish brought was like a piece of art. The exceptional culinary standards, the taste and ambience set the scene for stylish dining in soft pleasing to the ears music. Andreas Yiallourides is another asset for the Hilton.

Another favourite spot was the Spa where I tried to combine business with pleasure. The Thai massage I had was so comforting and relaxing, but the Jacuzzi, the Steam bath and Sauna were just as good. I was amazed to see so many locals who are members and come here to exercise and spoil themselves. I consider it one of the most luxurious health clubs in Nicosia.

Internet is not free here, but it has become a standard benefit (free of charge) for HHonors Gold and Diamond members only. It is a hotel geared predominantly to the business clientele making it an ideal meeting point, with just a 20 minutes’ walk from Nicosia’s highest points.

So, with all the above it is not surprising that the Hilton in Cyprus consistently ranks as the international business community’s first choice. I highly recommend it and I truly can’t wait to return shortly.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Business Travel, Food and Dining
  • Written October 19, 2011

Room #555

Odessa Hotel in Protaras: Enjoy the Indulgence & Luxury of a Sea-view Suite

Enjoy the Indulgence and Luxury of a Sea-view Suite –it pays for the money!

Odessa Hotel belongs to the family run Cypriot Company of Tsokkos, -the name only guarantees memorable holidays. In Protara there are 19 probably more hotels under this Company. They are in the tourist industry for more than 25 years and this makes them popular not only to locals but foreigners as well.
Odessa is in the heart of Protara not far from the popular beach of the Fig Tree bay. October, the weather unbelievably wonderful, much activity on the beach with parachuting, skiing, and much lazing under umbrellas and sun beds, the hotel fully booked and me suddenly deciding to get advantage of the good weather, the lovely premises and this amazing beach. The crystal turquoise waters here remind me a lot of the Caribbean-like beaches.
I was in Protara for 5 days and I chose Odessa as the very last hotel before going up to the mountains. I decided to laze here and enjoy the tranquillity and services of the hotel.

I had a Superior very stylish Sea view suite (#052) overlooking the beautiful gardens and the beach. The luxury en-suite marble and glass bathroom with the impressive bath tub in the middle with huge mirrors and a glass door,and the two very stylish wash basins, added more luxury to the rest of the suite. Much light was coming in from the huge glass door windows leading to a big beautiful veranda overlooking the green garden with the many umbrellas and sun beds a few metres from the coast. At last! A hotel without plastic chairs! Two stylish chairs and decorative lamp posts at the veranda added more glamour and style.

The bed was huge with an up and over bed head canopy which provided a creative and sophisticate centrepiece,-only wished I had time to extend my stay here!
There were two TV sets, one opposite the bed and the second in the sitting room. The suite had simple but very stylish lines, and it was really huge and so comfortable. All these amenities can surely spoil the most demanding guest.

I had a surprise indulgence with a plate of fruit but I asked for water instead of wine. The hotel had all amenities one would ask for. Even if I had not booked all inclusive from the beginning thinking that I would go outside for lunch or dinner, I changed my mind and decided to check with what the hotel had to offer.

People who have dinner at the Calypso Restaurant have to be dressed properly and not appear in sandals or shorts. They have to wear long trousers, not even ¾ ones and shoes. They have to wait to be seated and sign for any orders. This shows that the hotel has a Class and Style that wants to keep, and surely it is appreciated by the majority.

In the evening I had dinner at the Sofa Sofa Restaurant instead of the buffet at Calypso. It is in the premises and I went there with a friend. It is stylish and impressive and I was amazed with the huge tasty portions, the variety of things offered there and the reasonable cost. I urge people to try it. The contemporary design, the soft music and real home-made food guarantees a fabulous night out. It is not to be missed!

Before my evening stroll I visited the Bliss Bar for a mojito cocktail which is on the main road opposite the Vrissiana Hotel and belongs to the same Company. The very good ambience, the style, and soft music coming to my ears attracted me and I believe it stands out from the rest in the area. I found quality here not only on its design, the cocktails and staff, and for these reasons I highly recommend it.

Breakfast was like a feast and included everything one would expect to find out of an American breakfast. Lunch was a buffet with a variety of salads, meat dishes, dessert and fruit. Tsokkos Company has their own suppliers with top quality products for exceptional culinary standards.

As always I like talking with tourists curious to see how they feel about my beautiful country and the resort they are staying at. I did not find a single person with something negative besides the problem with internet which is truly a problem. It is ridiculous to pay for internet nowadays where everywhere outside in the pubs, bars and restaurants it is offered for free. A number of tourists were telling me that they prefer eating out combining dinner or lunch and time on the internet for free. This is really a problem and the negative I found here.

I did not visit the pool – I never swim in pools anyway, but how could I since I had the chance to swim in the crystal warm waters of Protara. I believe for Greeks, swimming pools are only decorative to beautify the premises. The beaches of Protara are irresistible! And it is not only the Fig Tree Bay, but there are so many picturesque coasts all over!

Now some of the extras one has to expect to pay here, -and it is better to know than have negative surprises which can spoil your holidays. Well, the safe deposit boxes cost (13 euro a week or 22 for 2 weeks. Tennis Rackets have a charge of 5 euro per hour, and they charge Sauna and Jacuzzi 7 euro per person for 30 minutes. You should vacate the room at 12:00 mid-day. 25 euro is charged if you keep the room until 6:00 pm and 43 until 10:00 in the evening. The mini fridge is empty for anyone to keep cool some water or fruit. I find this a very positive, however to use it there is a daily charge of 2 euro.

I highly recommend the Odessa Hotel, and do upgrade the room to a suite. Pamper yourselves and enjoy the indulgence of luxury offered here.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Spa and Resort, Luxury Travel
  • Written October 18, 2011

The beautiful canopy bed

Vangelis Hotel Apartments: Comfortable, Professional and Popular with British

I spent just one night here the first week of October and I was impressed by the buildings upon entering the premises. My apartment was at the D building (room 4103) overlooking the swimming pool area and the restaurant while the bedroom overlooked the back garden. Although the apartments are a bit dated they are pleasant to stay at and they can accommodate a family of 4 (two kids) without doubt.

I did not use the kitchen at all, just the teapot to make some coffee. Everything was clean and I would not have any trouble using them if I had to stay longer. The sheets and towels were clean, and the bed hard just like I wanted it. The only trouble was with the TV programmes. The TV sets are really old and they need to be changed. The screen was cloudy, and just 2 Cypriot channels were accessible with a bad picture too. Of course I don’t expect anybody coming here to spend time in the apartments to watch TV since outside is a paradise.

The majority of tourists here were British, and I was indeed surprised of how they were enjoying the beautiful premises, they were relaxed and happy and would spend almost the day sitting by the pool or at the bar instead of getting to the beach and enjoy the crystal turquoise waters of the popular beach of the Fig Tree bay which is so close!
I saw a number of them leaving the premises but they had their reason.

The fact that residents have to pay 6 euro for an hour to have internet access at the lobby forces many of them to leave the premises for the next door café bars where they can enjoy their drinks and without any extras can have internet access for free for as long as they wish.

I stayed very little to have the whole picture but I found the staff helpful, polite and they seem to know well their job. The quality and standard of food offered was satisfying. The night I stayed here was dedicated to British cuisine and I can tell I enjoyed it a lot. The shepherd pie was lovely, and the pudding delicious. Of course there was a variety of other dishes, many salads to choose from, sweets fruit and even ice cream.

Breakfast was also more than adequate. It included omelettes, sausages, ham and cheese, tomatoes and cucumber, jams and marmalades, porridge and corn flakes, fruit, yoghurt and juice. What more could one ask for so little they pay! I urge people coming here to book H/B or F/B. Buffets are more than adequate to please everyone thus avoid the trouble of searching to find good food outside since you can get a good quality here.
Of course those who have all inclusive gather around the bar the moment they finish breakfast. It is funny of how much they consume. They get snacks and sandwiches, burgers, toasts, chips and enjoy many pints of local Keo beer and not only the whole day long. They are the people who come here mainly to combine relaxation with much eating and drinking. (At least you won’t find people wrapping different things to consume later on in the day) as it happens with other hotels and it is a sight I really hate.

I had the chance to talk to at least 4 couples during my stay and for some it was like an earthly paradise they told me. They liked the apartments and they found the package reasonable. The weather helped a lot and I had a feeling that it was June or July. Of course Cyprus is beautiful the year round, but it was October and still the beaches were crowded. Pity that many of the hotels will close by the end of the month and will open again in spring and this makes Protaras and Ayia Napa look like haunted places from then onwards until spring.

The apartments are opposite a bus stop and very centrally located thus makes them popular.
Buses run every 20 minutes taking you to Ayia Napa, Paralimni and Larnaca. The good news is that there is a bus that takes you to Larnaca for just a euro with frequent stops to some villages but it takes about an hour and twenty minutes to reach the city. (Bus 711) If you are not in a hurry why not!!

I highly recommend Vangelis Hotel Apartments for all the above reasons.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Photography, Beaches

The swimming pool area

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cavo Maris Beach Hotel: Professional, Amazing….I can’t wait to return!

I cannot find words to describe how much I loved every minute spent here. I was made welcomed with a smile. As a Guide Writer I had to write about Protaras, and I had to see different hotels checking on great spots to write about.
The fact that it is a family run hotel makes a difference. I had a feeling of entering like a guest but left behind friends whom I want to see again soon. Obviously a good value for money.

The reception staff (Margita and George and not only) were always busy as the hotel was fully booked even in October and I consider the two I mention professionals and hard working.

Out of curiosity I read some comments and I cannot understand the demands of some people. It is so unfair for the hotel. I found the location great while I read that it is at a remote spot much outside Protaras. It is just 13 minute walk to the square of the Fig Tree Bay. The bus stop is just opposite the premises. Every 20 minutes the bus passes by and you just have to wave for the bus to stop. The fare is only a euro. It does not stop if the driver does not see you signalling. Probably many don’t know this.
The beach here with the clear crystal turquoise waters was more than I expected. There might be a few rocks in some parts but in all it is magic. I was swimming for hours while there! I prefer this beach more than the Fig Tree Bay honestly, as here it is like a small bay and not an open sea. I smiled when I read a comment about the cold pool water. Unbelievable! I just wonder though, how can one ignore the crystal turquoise waters of Protaras and prefer a pool! I believe pools in so beautiful areas such as Protaras are just decorative to beautify the premises. How little people know!!

I was given the last room of the corridor on the first floor, facing the swimming pool and the Sirena Pool Bar. The balcony had the same level with the palm trees in the garden so there was much greenery besides the beautiful view of the swimming pool area. I enjoyed the morning sunrise at 6:30 am on both days. I did not want to miss the beautiful colours of the sun rising from the sea each morning.
My room was really comfortable and extremely clean. The bathroom towels were changed daily and they were bright white. I asked the Cypriot lady to leave me one extra shower bath gel and she left me several. I think it was Efthimia. The fact that many Cypriots work for years at this family hotel is an asset. The opposite of what is happening to other hotels where you seldom find a local.

During my stay I had the chance to talk with at least 10 people and a group of friends, something that I always do. They all had something positive to tell. I found people coming for more than 20 years to this same hotel and they now come along with friends and family. These people are obviously not fools!

Breakfast was more than adequate similar to American Breakfast with all sorts of things with more than I expected to find, very scarce for a 3* hotel to offer so much. In all I rate this hotel as a 4* hotel after what I have experience here.
Dinner was again amazing. I never expected so much people in October. The hotel was fully booked, and one thing that impressed me was the fact that there was much food for everyone. The quality was excellent and the taste fine.
Now why the bad comments I have no idea. I believe they are people who don’t know what they actually want. They pay so little and they expect miracles. They become demanding as if they are in a 5* hotel.

I found the evening programme fabulous. There was not a single guest missing and everyone seemed to be enjoying the performance. The second night there was programme with a Cypriot group dancing, children’s dancing, and later on some singing.

The management keeps a record of its guests and there is always a treat for the people who return. I find this positive not only for the owners but for the people who return as well. One of the two nights of my stay there was a special welcoming dinner party with all these people in a separate dining room. There was much going on out there and I felt a bit jealous that I could not attend.

I have only found two negatives here. Internet is not free, but this happens to all hotels in the area after I visited one or two others. (40 euros weekly) The second negative is that you have to pay for the small fridge in the room but still what they ask is not much.

Beach towels cost 1 euro per week. The 5 euro deposit asked is just to secure that towels won’t be stolen and afterwards you get your money back. So what is the big fuss about!! I always carry a small kettle along on my trips, and I usually find kettles in 5* hotels not in 3* hotels. About the safe, well is it so important to use a safe? I just wonder. I am out travelling almost every week and I never use it. Why not lock everything in the suitcase instead? Sun beds are free on the premises and there are beds for everyone. The ones that are next to the coast, cost 2.50 x 2 for a bed and an umbrella but this happens all over because the community is responsible for them and not the hotel.

I highly recommend it, find it truly friendly and much professional. Honestly I cannot wait to return.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Photography, Beaches
Tip Photo

The beautiful crystal waters of the bay

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Frangiorgio Hotel Apartments in Larnaca: Only the Very Best Comments for these Apts!

I have commented on the Frangiorgio Hotel Apartments in May when some relatives were staying here and I spent much time with them. On this trip I decided to book here since I knew exactly what to expect and I was very satisfied with what offered from my previous trip to Larnaca.

It is a good value for money, the apartments are huge and if you are lucky you can get an apartment on the back road which is slightly quieter. Of course I always carry my ear plugs along! Young people tend to speed foolishly any time of the day, so this is not a matter or problem of any of the hotels in the city. It can happen anywhere at any time of the day or night!

I stayed 3 nights here while in Larnaca. The stay was pleasant as I had everything I needed in the apartment. I never went for breakfast since I could prepare my own breakfast in my own kitchen, and I find people who complain about the continental breakfast here, totally unfair. They should thank God that the management offers any breakfast at all, as usually this does not happen elsewhere. Don’t forget that we are staying in apartments and not in a hotel! I had a huge fridge, full kitchenette with all amenities included, so why the fuss about the continental breakfast? The bedroom had a big wardrobe, chest of drawers, and there was air conditioning in both rooms. TV was a bit confusing for me at first because I had to use two remote controls to watch anything but it was easy when George showed me how to use it.

The Apartments are popular, and people who have stayed before keep coming back. The atmosphere is pleasant and the staff professionals. Most of the times the apartments are fully booked and for this reason I recommend booking well in advance. Internet is free here and as a Guide Writer I have much work and emails to answer, and I had all the time to check and do my work over my laptop without having to spend more money on internet like in other hotels in the area.

Another asset to the hotel is the mini market which is kept open 24 hours a day. It is too handy believe me and it surely counted a lot to me! The ladies working here and the staff are very polite, and helpful. They are truly experienced and this shows.

The rooms are clean, the sheets bright white, and the towels have a pleasant flowery smell. There was no washing liquid though to wash the dishes, but I kindly asked the lady who cleans and she left me some in my kitchen together with a sponge.

I got a taxi from the Airport to come to the Apartments in 5 minutes and I paid 12 euro. There are times when taxi drivers can ask for more but they never exceed the 14 euro which is the maximum they will ask. The apartments are only 5 minute walk to Finikoudes (Palm Tree Promenade) and from there one can pick the different buses for the villages and other cities. The bus stop is only 7 minutes on foot.

For people coming by car, there is a free parking lot behind the apartments. If you plan to hire a car and spend some days in Larnaca, I suggest that you do the sight-seeing first (two or three days) and hire a car when you finish with Larnaca and want to drive to another city. Most of the interesting things to see are simply in the round area where you can easily visit on foot.
The Tourist office information is just 3 minutes walk from the Apartments and I urge tourists to drop by and get the newest leaflets with info about places to see, and find out about the free trails in the city. The beach in front of the Palm Tree Avenue is ideal for little children because the waters are shallow.

The hotel apartments are ideal for families and not only as they are really spacious and there is plenty of room to accommodate two small children on the sitting room couch. I highly recommend it and I would certainly book again here than stay in a hotel opposite the beach front. I honestly would not trade it for any other hotel even if it was a 4 or 5 stars giving you the feeling that you are at your own home.

• Related to: Photography, Budget Travel, Museum Visits

The apartment

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Londa Beach Hotel: A Hidden Gem in Limassol !

After spending two wonderful nights at the Londa on a business trip in Limassol I feel I have to write what made me book here. Honestly speaking the fact that the general Manager Mr. Niemann replies to every single comment proves that he cares about the future of the hotel and his guests.

The hotel does not tell much when you see it from outside but it is just the opposite the moment you step in and surely deserves the awards it has received. The complete makeover in 2005 made it the first Design Boutique Hotel in Cyprus. I was surprised when all my Cypriot friends knew well where I was going and told me of its excellent reputation as one of the most popular spots - especially during weekends.

It combines the Italian boutique design of style with elegant clean lines, and I was happily surprised when I found touches of tradition of the local style, -the Cypriot handmade lace I noticed on the huge bed. I had a stylish sea-view suite overlooking the beautiful calm waters of the Mediterranean and what I truly enjoyed here was when I let the windows wide open the whole evening and slept with the sound of the waves and I opened my eyes again in the morning with the same sound. What an experience!!

My spotless suite was on the 4th floor overlooking the swimming pool and restaurant as well as the beautiful coast. It was huge and comfortable furnished to the highest standards. A spacious bathroom with a collection of Molton Brown toiletries –only I wished my room had a Jacuzzi instead to enjoy it more! I had some complementary fruit upon arrival brought in my room and later on a variety of dry fruit and a bottle of cold mineral water. I used a lot my espresso coffee machine during my stay.

I was out at a meeting the second day and later on I had a long walk taking photos for my guide on Limassol when I decided to walk through the beautiful old city and the Fruit Market area. I picked the #30 blue bus a few metres outside the hotel for just 2 euro (for unlimited rides during the day). When back I came off three bus stops before the hotel just to walk on the beach and take photos. I really cannot understand some people who write that they can find nothing in Limassol and urge people go to Paphos or Protaras. On the contrary Limassol is a popular destination and there is so much to see and do here. I find the location of the hotel unique. Traveling around by buses has become popular lately and taxi drivers are not too happy about it. When I reached the hotel I went straight to the beach restaurant where I had a refreshing fruit cocktail which was just what I needed.

I cannot find words to describe the professional service at the exquisite Caprice Restaurant that impressed me the very last night with its exceptional gourmet dishes.
I had a table on the deck outside the restaurant overlooking the beach and the whole moon rising out of the sea that evening! I enjoyed every single bite I had. Instead of dessert I finished my dinner with an asparagus salad which I enjoyed so much.

I don’t recommend this hotel to families with children. There is no children’s pool but people who choose this boutique hotel really come to relax and enjoy its serenity and exceptional cuisine. You find peace and quiet here, no children running around and the menu is unique for people who really enjoy good quality and healthy food.

In an attempt to find something negative I am obliged to mention that more businessmen will prefer to book here if there was a free Internet connection at least in the lounge area. One hour costs 4 euro, and 24 hours 10 euro starting to count from the moment you login until the following day, same time. I would surely want to return if I had the chance to do so but this time I would love to remain the whole time indoors and enjoy every minute spent here. My short stay was really exceptional.

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches

The swimming pool area

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Four Seasons Hotel: Enjoy the Indulgence of Luxury!

Four Seasons is indeed the home of luxury and privilege and over the years has established and proved that it is the finest hotel in Cyprus. On my last business trip to Limassol I spent 2 unforgettable nights here.
The hotel opened 18 years ago and people coming here should know that it is independently owned and operated and does not belong to the chain of the Four Seasons Hotels.
When you come here you feel as a VIP guest from the moment you enter the premises, -made to feel so special! I consider myself a real traveller and honestly speaking the services offered here are the very best I have ever experienced throughout my travelling across the world.

Each and every single member of the staff is multilingual and trained to the very high level and they will do their best to meet the needs of the guests. The management on the other hand seems to be doing an excellent job providing an ambience that guests will surely want to return. I had the chance to talk to several repeaters who talked very highly of this hotel and truly I felt sad the moment I had to leave the premises. I would surely want to return if ever given the chance.

I had a Superior very stylish Sea view room overlooking the beautiful gardens and the beach. The luxury en-suite bathroom with a Jacuzzi was really beautiful with much light coming in from the wall and ceiling alcoves. The extensive mirrors and amenities with the luxurious toiletries can easily spoil the guests.
I had a surprise indulgence with fruit in my room the first day and flowers brought to me the next. The bed was huge with an up and over bed head canopy which provided a creative and sophisticate centrepiece,-only wished I had more time to relax here.

Having many appointments outside the hotel I did not have the chance to have lunch or dinner this time so I cannot comment on this, however I can comment only on the breakfast which was beyond expectations!

If you appreciate fine art you will find a great collection of inspiring and breathtaking works of art and paintings. One such was by Thellos Petrides at the lobby area which attracted my attention upon arrival and made me go around one afternoon and marvel the whole collection of art which in reality is a very personal matter, but here one can find all genres of art to engage even the most difficult guest.

What can I say about the beautiful tropical gardens, the fire works that take place at the premises every Tuesday night, the Theme Nights and the evening entertainment with live music throughout the week! I was here 2 nights and yet I can say I did not see it all.
The blue local bus # 30 passes just outside the hotel every 10 to 15 minutes during the summer months, and probably every 20 during winter time. With just a euro you can get to the city centre for some sight-seeing and shopping. Take a 2 euro ticket for unlimited rides during the day.
Internet access is free in the lounge area, and I strongly recommend it to people of all ages. Booking directly through the hotel’s pages is preferable. I will dare visit it again in some months from now but no meetings outside this time, and because guests deserve the best at this hotel, I plan to enjoy every single minute spent here.

The only drawback I can find is that meals are expensive and a number of guests prefer the neighbouring restaurants. It would be preferable to book H/B in case you wish to eat at the hotel, yet I believe meals should be much cheaper so that guests won’t leave the premises searching for places to eat when they can perfectly do it at the hotel itself. Holidays can be spoiled if people have to search daily for other cheaper alternatives.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Luxury Travel, Business Travel

The bed in my suite

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Aphrodite Beach Hotel: Professionalism Scarcely to be Found!

After spending 3 wonderful nights at the premises the only word that comes to mind is “Professionalism”. I highly recommend it to couples and families who want to truly relax, travel around, and enjoy freshly homemade food without paying much.

The service is of top quality. From the first moment I felt as if I knew the family years back, as if I was a member of their family. I was amazed with Gregoria whom I truly consider a good friend by now. She speaks excellent German, French and English and even though she was mostly busy she would find time for each single guest to talk to, suggest places, and trying to please everyone’s needs and demands. No matter how tired she can be, she has a smile and an open heart for all.
Tasos, her husband is fully busy and in control of the kitchen. Everything is homemade and fresh, and I cannot forget the wonderful soups I had here, the stew, and the fresh fish included in the dinner menu for so little!

Breakfast was beyond expectations for such a hotel. Because my work has to do with much travelling I have visited hotels with 3 or 4 stars which had continental breakfast and really not the best quality. How can I forget the variety of jams, the freshly homemade olive and halloumi bread each morning, the fresh orange juice, and the rich combination of fruit, cheese, omelettes or sausages! Just brilliant!
The terrace overlooks the beautiful Chrysochou Bay and the Rock of Aphrodite Baths making the spot unbeatable with the wonderful sunset colours. Dinner at the hotel is a “must”.

My room was modest but impeccably clean and spacious and the balcony overlooking the beautiful gardens. There is no mini bar in the room though but you can ask for one with a small charge. The balcony was big with a rack to hang clothes on, and a set of plastic chairs and table, but the round area was so beautiful that I only returned to the room for my evening sleep.

The location is ideal for walks along the Akama Peninsula and the Aphrodite Trail as well as visiting the Cedar Valley. There is a bus stop just outside the hotel coming from the Baths of Aphrodite passing every 20 minutes. I had a round trip one day to Latchi and Polis and then to Paphos and back for just 2 euro. The local buses have become very popular in this area and people are using them a lot.
The progress made on the Public means of transport on the island this year is amazing. (Ask for the booklet with the bus schedules, routes and info guide from any main bus station).

There is no internet access in the rooms, but it is free in the sitting area and the terrace. The beach is public, so if you really need an umbrella and a sun bed this will cost you 5 euro for the whole day. This is the only drawback I could find here!
I believe it is one of the best….if not the best beach on the island here, but it is not shallow waters for little kids. There is no swimming pool, but actually who needs one if the waters are crystal turquoise colored, so clear that you can see fish swimming next to you!!
I truly want to return and plan to do so when I visit the Akama peninsula in March.
Don’t miss this hotel if you come to this area!

• Related to: Eco-Tourism, Family Travel, Beaches
Tip Photo

The best crystal beach on the island

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

FRangiorRgio Hotel Apartments: Highly Recommended!

I recently returned from Cyprus and happened to visit these apartments as a relative of mine had booked here for a week and I visited them three or four times spending much time with them. I believe they are worth their value.
They are recently renovated, lovely and spacious, clean and reasonably priced. Friendly staff with free parking. The 24h mini market next to the reception is something to be considered.
A taxi from the Airport to the apartments costs 12-14 euro. The location is excellent. Just a 3 minute walk to the Palm Avenue –Phinikoudes Promenade which is full of restaurants, pubs, and café bars and has a beautiful sandy beach which is ideal for children. The shopping area is again 3 to 5 minute walk.
I had a look on reviews of people commenting on the breakfast. Surely it is a continental and not a buffet here, and it is up to the individuals staying here to choose to have a (royal breakfast) if they wish since the apartments have all the amenities to prepare such breakfast in their kitchen. It is unfair to complain at least on this.
Wifi is fast and free and it is something which I count a lot on as a business woman.

The two drawbacks are the traffic and noise which sometimes gets worse during the weekends, and the fact that you have to pay extra for air condition. Count on this because it can be really hot during July and August and you will surely need it. It is 5 euro per night for every unit.

I would strongly recommend it for families, older people and youngsters. I would love to book here when I visit Cyprus again.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Seniors, Singles