Cyprus Hotels

Our Members Say

Roman Hotel in Paphos: a lot of kitch

I did not stay in this Hotel in the centre of Paphos, but saw this hotel just from passing by and stopping in order to take some pictures. It is funny idea to decorate a hotel that way, but I think that I could not stay there longer than for just a few days maybe and only if the Akteon is fully occupied.

There are 2 Roman Hotels in Paphos and they certainly belong togeather and are also quite close to each other in the centre of Kato Paphos, maybe 800 meters from the Paphos castle.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Seniors

Akteon Holiday Village in Paphos: an excellent hotel

Hotel Akteon Holiday Village was my favorite hotel in Cyprus: I had 2 nights in this hotel and it was a big difference from the room that I had in the Larco-hotel in Larnaca. In the Akteon everything was perfectely clean and when looking at the tiles in the bathroom etc. it was like you know it from lots of perfect hotels in Europeand elsewhere, BUT the price here was also double: I payed 42 euros per night at the end of October for the single-use of this big appartment that had a full kitchen, fridge, microwave and cutlery, pans and pots etc. for a family of 4 or even more.
This price of 42 euros was "self-catering" and in addition I was given the chance to book upon arrival for halfboard for 16 euros extra, while the dinner-buffet alone was 15 euros and breakfast-buffet was 7,50 euros, so these 16 euros are a good offer.
Another offer was "all inclusive" for 30 euros a day.
The Lunch-buffet is 11,50 euros, but during the day I was sightseeing, so only the Halfboard made sense for me.

They have a large outdoor-swimmingpool and also some smaller pool inside and a family would find lots of facilities there in order to spend the day. They also have their own supermarket.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Budget Travel, Family Travel

Hotel Sveltos, 8km north of Larnaca: cheap in almost only a bad way

I came to the Sveltos-hotel accidentially and did not enjoy my stay there at all ! The Sveltos seems to be a partnerhotel of the Larco and I simply cannot understand why this hotel is listed in the hotels of Larnaca, when it is about 8km north of the city. Everything there is outdated and it was my impression that all the other guests here were Russians, who were glad to escape the cold and nasty weather at home and they could afford only the cheapest hotel of Larnaca. For them the Sveltos might be good enough, the pool was OK and also quite large, and when all you are looking for is "a good time at a pool", the Sveltos is certainly no bad place. The breakfast was very poor and here in the Sveltos the straycats had been even fed by the employees inside the diningroom.

I was sent over here by the Larco,where I had payed 21 euros per night, I had here only 1 single night, slept well in a large room, had a large balcony, almost no trafic-noises there, but the hotel is far away from the coast, in a poor neighbourhood of a sidestreet.
BUT you need to take a bus to get Larnaca. The busstop, 300m from the hotel, does not tell you anything about lines going from there, nothing about intervalls of buses and nothing about the last bus taking you to or from the town, that was quite annoying.
During my night in the Sveltos the summertime was changed back, BUT NObody in the hotel thought about it informing the guests about that . In the hotels where I was working, we always posted infos about this in the lift and at the reception....

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Backpacking

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Larco in Larnaca: cheap in a good and a bad way

I stayed in the larco Hotel in Larnaca at the end of October and I payed a really cheap price and what I got was also cheap in many ways. For just 21 euros a day I got a room with a small balcony, an aircondition and a double room for single-use, including private facilities and a simple breakfast was included as well. I had booked in the Larco for 4 nights and then again - after 2 nights in Paphos - I had made a booking in the Larco again, in order to get to the airport again the easy and fast way on my last day in Cyprus.
Unfortunately they sent me over to the Sveltos-hotel for the last night, I had to drive through the whole city of Larnaca PLUS ca 8km in addition on the coastroad in the north of the city in order to get there.
The Sveltos seems to be a partnerhotel of the Larco, so be prepared, that might happen to you as well,when you book in the Larco.

I took the Larco, because it was cheap, had a parking for my rentalcar and I could walk within 20 min. to the old city of Larnaca. I have taken the Larco in order to explore Ayia Napa, Troodos, Nicosia etc. from there without the need to drive through Larnaca every day. For the first booking of 4 nights that was working fine.
The room smelled a lot like heavy smokers had stayed there and it was very hot there. Then you put in your roomkey and as soon as electricity is coming, the Aircondition is taking away most of the smell. Without AC running the room was quite hot even in the night, most probably the house is just a cheap concrete-building. AC had just a on-and off-button, nothing else and it was running only when the roomkey was placed in a special place, so it did never work while I was not in the room.
Lots of stray-cats in the corridors,at the pool and even fed by the guests in the diningroom with acceptance by the staff.

• Related to: Road Trip, Backpacking, Family Travel

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

"Anthony's Garden House": A Hidden Little Paradise in Episkopi

I spent one night at this beautiful paradise of Anthony’s Garden House in the village of Episkopi.

It is one of the oldest, most traditionally constructed buildings (150 years old) and dates back to the Ottoman times.

The house preserves its original traditional character which impressed me from the moment I stepped in. There are three large consecutive rooms with traditional Cypriot arches that once were used as stables for camels. In one of the three rooms there is a billiard table and a beautiful sitting room decorated in the Cypriot Traditional style.

What impresses the visitor however is its garden and all that singing and chirrup of birds. It is a small paradise indeed ideal for peace and quiet, and much relaxation.

Breakfast is adequate, with a variety of different cereals, coffee and tea, marmalades, yoghurt and orange juice.

My room was unbelievably huge with a comfortable sitting room, a round kitchen table with chairs, and it included all kitchen amenities for somebody who wanted to prepare a quick dish. My bathroom was spacious with a bath tub.

Episkopi itself however has not much to offer, but I recommend this hotel to people who want to visit the ancient city of Curium, Kolossi, visit the Wine Museum at the nearby village of Erimi, and see the temple of Apollo.

Both the owners, Antony and Katerina are incredible people and will surely direct you to the different sights in case you need guidance.

Bed and Breakfast
Comparison: less expensive than average
Prices: US$40-80 » Currency Converter
Phone:
Address:Website: Other Contact:
Read more: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/137ed3/1a3/3/#ixzz1I9fVOo52

• Related to: Archeology, Road Trip, Family Travel
  • Written March 30, 2011

The garden of the hotel

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

"Gabriel House" in Kato Drys: An Exceptional Stay and Hospitality!

‘GABRIEL HOUSE’ KATO DRYS

I have only the best to write concerning “Gabriel House” at Kato Drys.
Starting from the unforgettable hospitality of the couple, Mr. Gabriel and Eleni treated me as if I were a member of their family.

Although it is a 200 year old building, it is fully restored, and has both floor heating and air conditioning. The house is centrally located between the two historical churches and the agricultural Museum. The stone-built village itself is very old and full of history.

Mr. Gabriel being a licensed producer of organic nuts and fruit welcomed me to his orchard. Guests can try his products for free.

My apartment had a fantastic atmosphere taking me to another era.
This is the reason I always include such houses on my trips. You have to step in the house itself to feel this, and I believe photos cannot give the whole picture of what you will experience out here.

Of course in the house there was both a Plasma TV, and a DVD player but I could not care less. Who wants to switch on a TV when here. Who wants to listen to music when you can hear the birds singing outside in the beautiful garden of the premises and the rain falling outside depending on the weather conditions! I had a big variety of coffee to make to myself, tea, and all sorts of jams and marmalades from the house.
Everything was so perfect. I strongly recommend it, and I wish I could stay longer!

• Related to: Seniors, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Architecture
  • Written February 10, 2011

The entrance room of the 2 single beds

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Antonis G. Hotel Apartments: A Good Bargain !

A Good Bargain!

This is the second time I visit this hotel in Oroklini.
Some years back the hotel was working in full. Now I was the only visitor here but I still enjoyed it because I had all the attention.

I was given a very comfortable apartment for just 28 euros a night, but it seems that because of the economic crisis this hotel has not worked at all this year.
The hotel manager explained to me that there are 5 apartments which are in use these days and the rest of the hotel is closed up.

Be sure to arrange the exact time of your arrival when you book because in the evenings the owners leave the hotel and stay in their house in Larnaca. I suggest that you have the mobile phone of the owner too.
Larnaca is not very far and there is a bus-stop outside the hotel, however I believe anyone interested to book here should have a car.

At the side of the hotel there is a restaurant called Lithos and which belongs to the owners’s children. Once a week different events take place here and its popular with English people who come to have fun. You can dine here for a change and enjoy your evening out. It is 7 days a week.

I would recommend the hotel to people who are on a budget. You might feel a bit uncomfortable in the very beginning but as long as you close the door behind you and you are in your apartment for this little money I am sure you won’t care much if there are other people around or not!

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip, Beaches

View from the balcony

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

VASILOPOULOS HOUSE TRADITIONAL COMPLEX IN TOCHNI: I Had the Feeling of Being in Another Era!

I spent 3 unforgettable nights at the House of Vasilopoulos.
After touring the whole village the very first day I consider it to be the best and most beautiful home in Tochni.

The traditional architecture which has been preserved for the past 300 years makes the agrotourism village very unique, but I believe this very house distinguishes from the rest and I have to admit it.

The view from my balcony was the best, as it overlooked the ancient Church of the Saints Constantinos and Eleni, and at the background the sea.

The house is part of an amphitheatrical slope and from the balcony I could not only enjoy the beautiful scenery of the surround area, but also its beautiful garden.

I felt the Real Agrotourism here, and I enjoyed its authentic restoration. It was as if I was visiting my grandmother’s house 70 years back, with a feeling of being in another era. This is what makes it unique here.

I had a small fully equipped kitchen and I loved the idea of the benches under the vine in the garden where I could sit and work.

I loved the human touch of the people of Tochni, and I highly recommend this complex to people who want to relax away from the hectic cities - who want to experience the Real Cypriot Traditional Culture.
I can’t wait to come here again!

• Related to: Photography, Architecture, Eco-Tourism
Tip Photo

Benches under the vine in the garden

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

"OLGAS KATOI, in Kalopanagiotis, Troodos.: The most Hospitable Traditional House Ever…..!

AN UPDATE: Unfortunately this beautiful Property is under renovations and is not available at the moment!

I spent 2 nights at Olgas Traditional House. From the very first moment I arrived the landlords Mrs. Agni and Dinos Papaioannou made my stay exceptional. I have never met such hospitable people, a couple whose only abstraction is to make their visitors feel comfortable, like home.

My room had a panoramic view from its huge verandah , overlooking the Marathasa Valley. It was as if I was standing in front of a painting!
I felt the Traditional human touch of Authentic Cypriots two people I will never forget. Mrs. Agni wants to please her guests, and I had the chance to taste the real Cypriot cuisine here.

This traditional house surrounded with this natural beauty is unique for relaxation, for outdoor excursions, for people who want to feel the warmth of the Cypriot hospitality.
I however, have noticed one or two cons which I owe to mention. I could have stayed longer if I just had an internet access but I was told that very soon this will be arranged. A need of small refrigerator is a must in the room.
The main house consists of a huge sitting room where guests can gather around the fireplace during winter, listen to music or watch TV. There is no tv set in the rooms but people who come here surely don’t bother watching tv since there are other more interesting things to do here.
The price for each bed is 35 euros including a rich breakfast which I find very reasonable. Agni is a specialist in the Cypriot cuisine. She can cook for you anything you ask.
I could never believe that I would have the chance to become such good friends with these people because their kindness and hospitality is obvious!
Thank you Agni and Dinos….I am coming back really soon to see you.

• Related to: Photography, Eco-Tourism, Hiking and Walking

Olgas Katoi - The Traditional House

• Hayedorojo profile photo Hayedorojo
  • Reviews: 8

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Theresa Hotel: Very expensive and poor quality

I stayed with my couple in Theresa Hotel in october 2010. It was very expensive for a bad and old place, very simple rooms with electricity and mirrors, for example broken. One day the room was not done. Each night were 40 euros for a very bad room, and the restaurant was too much expensive for a very simple and bad dinner, 38 euros. The staff was very friendly with us, and they help us to all we need. The manager tell us that "Theresa Hotel was diferent, it was a familiar hotel", but the prices were not so familiar... too much expensive for so bad quality.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written October 10, 2010

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Golden Tulip Golden Bay Beach: A very nice hotel

My visit was several years back, but through my several visits in Larnaca I notice that the hotel is still quite popular.

We spent a week years back.
Service was good, as well as the cuisine. Theme nights excite tourists.
The beach is beautiful, with shallow waters ideal for kids.
The hotel grounds and pools are very inviting, and the staff is friendly.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written July 30, 2010

Golden Bay Hotel - Lobby

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Nostalgia Hotel, Kyrenia: Very nostalgic!

We were in the annex, which was better because the pool was there. Very pleasant and nostalgic, but no WiFi or Internet access in hotel.

Unique décor in nostalgic style

• Related to: Seniors, Water Sports, Beaches
Tip Photo

One of th nostalgic rooms

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Skarinou village Agrotourism Appartments: Agrotourism - a great idea!

We spent 4 nights in one of over twenty self-catering studios and appartments in adjacent, very successfully converted traditional village houses. No luxury but very attractive, pool, WiFi. Mainly German, Dutch and British guests.

Take a one-bedroom appartment rather than a studio; you have more room to breathe.

Friendly concierge, "Mai", from Vietnam keeps the courtyard clean of fallen blossoms, etc. and is always ready with a smile..

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Seniors, Family Travel

Attractive inner courtyard

Peri Petra: Superb B&B

We found this villa by accident and were delighted. Stayed 3 nights. Quiet, bright and clean, friendly helpful Dutch hosts, pool, super breakfast, stunning view, no WiFi.

Stunning view towards Aphrodite's Bath area and towards Polis. Very strange 7-kik call of the Black Francolin or Black Partridge (francolinus francolinus) each morning and evening, but you never get to see them.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons

Peri Petra B&B

King's Hotel, Paphos: Adequate in a nest of Brits

First 3 nights in Cyprus. The room was not clean, but usable; it had a non-functional small kitchen attached and a non-functional refridgerator used as stand for the TV (which we didn't use), which obstructed movement within the room somewhat. The pool was attractive and most welcome. The staff were polite. One had the impression that the owner family had lost its earlier vision for the hotel and were more interested in building up the sexy new online casino. A disadvantage for us was the loud music from the bar across the road, sometimes til midnight.

No WiFi but free use of Casino PC.

OK if all you want is inexpensive accommodation for a night or two.

Nicely laid out pool area with plenty of sun and sunbeds

• Related to: Casino and Gambling, Historical Travel, Seniors