Almond Holiday Village

Bademli Sakak no: 1, Alsancak, Kyrenia, Cyprus

More about Almond Holiday Village

what a great crew

by TripAdvisor Member loraflora

We originally heard from a friend how good this hotel was, so as we live in the Southern half of Cyprus we decided to check it out for a couple of days. We were made so comfortable we stayed on another day ( the most we could spare) and really did not want to leave. The food was excellent., the surroundings beautiful and the staff were so friendly and efficient.
Can't wait to go back next year, for longer of course.

Would feel confident recommending this hotel to anyone who wants to "chill" and recharge the batteries.

Lovely,friendly,family holiday

by TripAdvisor Member CheshireEddy

We had a fantastic week at the Almond. The accommodation is very good with spacious rooms cleaned daily. The whole complex is spotless with beautiful gardens and pool and a lovely mountain setting.
Our children aged 10 and 12 really enjoyed themselves with plenty of things to do round the pool.
The food was delicious and we didn't find anywhere better.
It is a family run hotel and they are really friendly and extremely helpful.
All in all a fantastic holiday- we are planning a return visit.

Best Holliday Village In The North

by TripAdvisor Member default24

after being to mare monte hotel during five years, I discovered ALMOND. My opinion is that it is the more friendly hotel in cyprus. I have seen all of them, I will never change!the family became my family.Just try it.

A well run family inn with easy access to Kyrenia

by TripAdvisor Member Irritant

This was a less-than-planned getaway vacation for us, and it turned out to be lovely. We were looking for a place with a swimming pool near a beach and with things for our daughter to do. I will say that early May was a bit cool for northern Cypress if you want to spend time in the pool (we understand that things were cooler than normal).

My wife, daughter of 21 months and I arrived on a Saturday at Larnaka in the south, where we had arranged a transfer. One of the difficulties of Cypress is getting there. Northern Cypress has very limited service, and Larnaka is quite some distance away. Those who don't have a very good map will find it somewhat difficult to even find the crossing between the north and south in Nicosia. The transfer made everything flawless. Once you are there, you can rent a car relatively inexpensively. This makes the island more accessible. It is possible to cross the border once you know where you are going, should you decide to do so. Driving is on the left.

We rented a two bedroom bungalow for a week and we found it to be perfectly clean and comfortable, and they kept it that way. Each bedroom has a heater/ac unit that is relatively quiet. It turns out we didn't need it, but it is REAL a/c with a condenser outside. The unit did not have a DVD or cable, so bring your own if you need evening entertainment (we had books, which was fine for us). While the bathroom is slightly small, there were no problems at all with the services. The cot/crib is a little old fashioned, and set primarily for non-climbing babies, as the bed is too high or the bars are not long enough. If you have a climbing baby, you will need another arrangement.

Kyrenia itself offers a lovely area where you can eat very well. If you are a couple then you might want to not take the half-board option. Because we had a young child, the half-board option was perfect for us, and the food was quite fine. The fresh bream was particularly delightful. We never walked away hungry and we never felt like we stuffed ourselves silly in the hotel. There is a self-catering option, and there are quite a number of well stocked supermarkets nearby. My recollection is that Ataturk is quite nice.

The most important thing about this hotel is that they were responsive to our every need. We asked that we have fresh milk waiting for us for our daughter and they made arrangements for that. Our daughter came down with an ear infection and the staff were able to direct us to appropriate medical services, that helped us quite a bit. The family works hard not only to be accommodating, but also to keep the property in good shape. Ali, Gultan, Amet, Aisha, and their mom are great people. If we ever get back to Northern Cypress, this is certainly the place to stay.

There are several beaches nearby. Due to our daughter's ear infection we opted to skip the beaches and go to the playgrounds in Kyrenia. We also went to Nicosia, saw the indoor bizarre, and something of the old city. Nicosia is VERY VERY confusing. If you can get a guided tour you are far better off (we didn't). For those who might want to stay near Nicosia, consider this: it's very far from beaches and it gets hot there. Near Kyrenia is a far better choice.

The area around Kyrenia itself is under construction. British tourists are absolutely catered to, not only at Almond Villages but in the surrounding area. You can get by reasonably well as a tourist on English. While most restaurants take just about any currency, you must agree in advance on credit cards. There are plenty of ATMs in Kyrenia.

lived up to the reviews

by TripAdvisor Member Roundand

We picked this Almond Holiday Village for an Easter holiday on the basis of the TripAdvisor reviews and got a hotel that looked as good (and as clean) as the web site photos, and was run by Ali and Dervise's family with the genuine (and un-creepy) warmth, efficiency and flexibility that so many promise and so few deliver.

We bought our toddler and stayed in one of the two-bedroom apartments. I have to say that both in the hotel and in North Cyprus in general, having a toddler with you makes you feel more like royalty than like the second-class citizen that it sometimes makes you feel elsewhere.

If you're considering an Easter trip, our experience was of lots of sun, and that the pool and beach were, shall we say, warmer than Cornwall in summer, and half the party found the water warm enough to enjoy swimming!

Kyrenia is a short dolmas (fixed-price, hop-on hop-off minibus) ride away - we rather enjoyed the dolmas trips, but make sure you bring the hotel map with you for the return as not all dolmas drivers know where to drop you off for the hotel.

shhhhhhhhh!!!! otherwise everyone will go

by TripAdvisor Member janeyship

What a great place to go. My family and I were looking at a last minute holiday for Easter and found this gem through Trip Advisor.
I tried to get booked up in May but it was full and now I know why.
This is as family run as you get with fantastic service and a feeling that you are staying with friends. Nothing is to much trouble.
ACCOMODATION
The four of us stayed in the two bedroomed villa. Lots of room, clean and tidy and very reasonably priced. Towels are provided within the villa but you will need to bring towels for the pool. The pool and pool area are great, no getting up early to put towels on sunbeds. There is a bar outside providing lunch and drinks during the day and a pool table and table tennis to keep you occupied! The grounds are beautiful with lots of shade.
CAR HIRE
The hotel car hire is very reasonable. Driving abroad here is very easy as they drive on the left. I recommend hiring a car. There are a number of restaurants which are just too far to walk to. It would be fause economy to keep hiring cabs.
PLACES WORTH A VISIT
Kyrenia harbour is well worth a visit, about 20 minutes drive from the hotel. Another place which is beautiful is Bellapais, 30 minutes drive, absolutely idealic and exactly what I imagined Northern Cyprus to be.
FOOD
The food at the hotel is great. The breakfast is a choice of cereals, bread, jams, eggs, meats - Basic but good. The choice of meals in the evenings was good and cooked fresh every day, hence you had to pre-order by 5pm.
I did not book half board as I like to try different restaurants but still ate a couple of nights at the hotel, as the kids loved it.
Restaurants I recommend are:-
Altinkaya - Fish restaurant - 15 mins drive away.
Saint Tropez - French - 10 mins drive away
The Ambience - international - 15 mins drive away (BEST)
GETTING THERE
I booked my flight through the Thomas Cook website and flew directly into Larnaka. There I arranged (through the hotel) a cab which collected us from the Airport, took us through the border (no hassle at all) and onto the hotel - travelling time 1hr 30mins. Booked the hotel direct - info@almond-holidays.com, telephone number [--].

Fond memories

by TripAdvisor Member llamamobile

We stayed at the Almond for a week in mid-April with our two small children (aged 6 and 3), and had a lovely time.

This was our first trip to Cyprus north or south, so we didn't know quite what to expect. We found the local area more busy, heavy with traffic, dusty, and under intense development than we had hoped, but the Almond itself was wonderful.

We had a two-bedroom bungalow, which was basic but tasteful and clean. It had a view across the car park: I think for a view over the pool and gardens, you need one of the older one-bedroom villas. The garden planting is lovely, particularly the lemon trees.

The weather while we were there was sunny and warm, with just one windy and chilly day. The pool was cool in April, but we looked forward to a swim in it at the end of a hot day. It was kept well clean, and at that time of year was very quiet. There is a good adult-size pool and a children's paddling pool.

Food was good. We ate at the Almond every evening because of the children, and my only comment would be that we might have liked even more traditional Turkish food, because what they did have was delicious. Generally, the food was trustworthy for kids and nervous tourists (straightforward and with chips) and well made.

About the surrounding area... We had made the terrible mistake of forgetting both of our driving licences. Without a car, and with small kids, things are pretty tough -- we went to Kyrenia by bus, which was fun, and we could walk to the supermarket, but a walk to the beach was too tiring and scary (there's a busy road on the way) for us. Fortunately we were able to get one of our licences faxed over to the Almond, who sorted out a car for us, which made a huge difference. There are lots of things to see and do around there if you have a car and are prepared to put in some driving -- Kyrenia, Nicosia, St Hilarion's castle, lovely sandy public beaches east of Kyrenia, etc.

I think that what we liked most about this place was the feeling of being in safe hands. Bar and food prices were very reasonable (you're not allowed to bring your own if you're going to drink around the pool). The kids could run about within the holiday village perimeter with reasonable safety (as long as we kept an eye on the pool, obviously). The staff sorted out dinner early for us when our kids were worn out, and helped us with various other things. The rooms and shared facilities were kept scrupulously clean, and well, everyone was just really nice. We would warmly recommend it.

A little noisy !

by TripAdvisor Member AAdams999

We have just returned from the Almond Holiday Village and will say the accomodation is modest but comfortable and clean. The staff were helpful and friendly. Breakfast becomes a little boring after a few days.

The pool is a good size and was always clean but the area around the pool is a little on the snug side with little chance of moving the sun loungers around to follow the sun.

There is a good choice of food available for lunch and dinner and it was always cooked well.

If you are a couple looking for peace and quite it might be better to check some of the hotels in the Kyrenia area who have an age restriction on children. There is little else for children other than the pool and we noted the novelty of this didn't last all day with them.

Loved the Almond

by TripAdvisor Member donpele

I first went to the Almond in '05,just my wife and I. We returned in '06 with 29 family and friends to celebrate my 50th birthday, I cant rate the Almond to highly, nothing is too much trouble for the family that run it and I'd be surprised if there is another complex on the island set in such beautiful gardens, The party they laid on for my birthday was fantastic ( though a little wet at the end) Everyone there said they would go back again ,in fact I'm off back there in Sept'

Our Summer Home

by TripAdvisor Member Tonymalony

We talk about home from home, well, Almond was that and more, Ali and his family could not have made us more welcome.
Whenever you go on holiday it always takes a couple of days to settle, but not here, from the moment we stepped into the Village it felt like home, and that great smell of Jasmine.
I have never seen a place so clean, the cleaning maids are more than helpful and make sure they are not in your way when working, i loved the garden, it was a pleasure walking around looking at the well kept garden, so colourful. The food was excellent and served with a smile, both at breakfast, lunch and dinner, if you wanted to visit another restaurant it was their pleasure to book it for you and the taxi.The pool area was always clean and well looked after with more than the amount of sunbeds required.The bungalows were brilliant, so clean and very comfortable and being so well laid out in the Village,only a short walk from everything.Would i want to go back to Almond ?
I have already booked my whole family in for next year, can't wait.
Well done Ali and his Family.

Comments