4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Cesur Sokak No 4, Catalkoy, Kyrenia, Cyprus

Otel.com Hotelsclick.com

Costs 59% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Not a family hotel

Upon arriving, this hotel is very impressive, it looks good and the door service was very good. The rooms were very nice, clean and spacious and the facilities looked very good. There was a good selection of food, which was very nice.

Unfortunately for us, we went the week of Valentines day. This is where I felt the hotel fell short. They appeared to favour guests staying for that particular night, rather than guests already booked into the hotel for the duration of the week. This night wasn't child friendly at all and our table was laid out for two, when we had our 6yr old with us too. We also went with my brother, wife and son, so expected to be seated with them on a table for 6, like we had been previously. When I complained to the Manager, reluctantly he placed us on a table for 6 at the very front of the restaurant where the band was playing, so it was very loud. We shared the table of 6 with 3 other guests, who had also been moved due to being split up. They placed my brother and his family on a table next to us which had half eaten rolls on it, from the people who had complained and moved previously. My brother and his family moved to the bar area and asked to be fed there. They didn't receive their dessert, which was a heart shaped cheesecake which we had to share between 3 of us. The people on the table with me and my family had taken their hearing aids out because the music was so loud. The food looked lovely, but there was no concession for Children. I asked the manager for something for my son, and he said that it was a special valentines menu. When I explained that my son was only 6 and was not looking to be laid, I was offered a plate of chips and rice for him. This night completely ruined our stay there.

The indoor pool was only heated for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours in the afternoon, therefore if you missed these times the pool was literally freezing! We braved it once and then didn't bother again, which was a shame as my son loves going in the pool.

The hairdryers in the rooms were like a small hoover pole which wasn't affective at all, therefore I suggest people take their own hairdryers to the hotel if staying there. The first night I dried my hair in the changing area by the pool, after that I bought myself a hairdryer from a supermarket.

Only 2 bath towels were supplied in a room with 3 people sharing.

We didn't have any help with our luggage when we left the hotel.

On a positive note, the bar staff were very friendly and very nice.

Due to the customer service provided, I rate this hotel a 3 star, as a 5 star hotel would bend over backwards to ensure you had a good stay there. I feel that the hotel should've definitely offered an alternative menu in the bar area on Valentines night for families staying there. I felt like I really put the Manager out by asking for something different for my son and for asking us for suitable seating for the 3 of us (or 6 of us, as it should've been).

I would not stay there again and would opt for the Acapulco Beach Club Hotel, where we stayed last time, as the Acapulco's customer service was excellent and were very child friendly.

Saying that, if we didn't have any children with us, we may've enjoyed our stay there.

Unique Quality: The Hotel is very impressive visually

• Best hotel

We stayed at the Malpas between 24/08/2011 to 07/09/2011. I must say that was the best two weeks of my life for a while. The hotel itself was very nice and very clean I have recommended it to quite a lot of people since I have returned to the UK. I could not fault anything about the hotel, the food was good the staff were very friendly and polite, they went out of their way to please and always seems to be in a very good mood, although the language barrier was a problem at times they still made us laugh. The club was good but please have a mixture of music. The bus service that the hotel provided to Kyrenia town was very excellent, this facility was used most days by myself and my family. Considering there was so many of my family and friends staying at the hotel not once was any of us were treated badly, although we stayed up very late most nights, never once was the staff rude to us, they were just very polite, and charming through out of our stay. Although I never got the opportunity to try out the spa and other facility within the hotel, this I will definately do when I return next year for another two weeks. Well Done to all the staff and managers along with the owner Resat and his family......Thank you for a lovely two weeks

Unique Quality: The pool is great and very clean, the pool attendant was always on hand if you requred anything from the pool restaurant. I'm sure it was not part of his job, but with the restaurant just by the pool he was always very helpful to get your order if asked nicely. The only thing I would suggest is to raise the bridge in the pool a little highter, considering whilst I was there I saw four people banged their heads on the bridge as they were going under.

• Not as good as it appears

Be aware that this hotel is having a Conference room being built. I stayed in Room 109 and at 7o'clock every morning my partner and I were woken up by banging, cement mixers etc.
    We ordered drinks from the various bars and were continually charged different prices and more often that not overcharged. It get's embarrassing when you have to repeatedly question the bill.
    I also put the remote control down on the bedside cabinet one evening and it moved a plastic folder that then touched the bedside light. This blew all the fuses and we were left in complete darkness. When I wrote an e-mail to complain to the hotel, it took 2 weeks for a reply and I was basically called a liar because if the double glazed windows had been closed that you cannot hear any noise through them. I was also told they checked all my extra's (bills) and I had NOT been over charged. Also that they have the best electrical system in any hotel in Kyrenia. They insulted my intelligence and I would NEVER stay at this hotel again. There is also NO entertainment except Friday, Saturday & Wednesday!!!!

Unique Quality: Lovely pool but beware of overcharging for food and drink. I spoke to 3 other couples and EVERYONE had been over charged.

Directions: About 8km from town

• S&JHenderson's Profile Photo

Malpas Hotel great for relaxing break

The Malpas Hotel boasts five stars, and on our visit, it earned every one of them! The staff and service was great, the food hot and plentiful, and the hotel itself clean and comfy. We booked through kyreniahotels.co.uk (http://www.kyreniahotels.co.uk/malpas) and saved quite a bit over brochure prices. With the savings I treated myself to a day's pampering in the spa, including an amazing massage, and left hubby to play a round of golf at the nearby course (good walk ruined in my book!). We hired a car for a couple of days to explore the countryside and Kyrenia, and loved our long walk on the beach in glorious sunshine. For a winter break with comfort and style, I would say it's hard to beat the Malpas Hotel. Just don't indulge too much on your bar drinks - they are not cheap.

Unique Quality: It was too chilly on our winter break for the outside pool, but it looked amazing, circled with pseudo ancient columns!

• most beautiful hotel in kyrenia

This must be the most beautiful hotel building ever seen in Northern Cyprus and the pool spa area and gardens are equally beautiful, worthy of any 5 star hotel anywhere in the world. The reception area is stunning, the rooms lavishly appointed, the fitness centre has all the latest and best equipment.

It all sounds too good to be true, doesn't it? Well it is.

The advertised casino and a la carte restaurant don't exist yet (if they ever will). With a few exceptions the staff are all imported from Turkey, speak little if any of any language other than Turkish and are totally untrained - and that includes the management, who are conspicuous only by their absence.

Every meal is served as a buffet and the few 'hot' dishes are also tepid by the time meals are served. The lunchtime buffet at the pool is a particular cause of concern - laid out by 11am, with the salads desserts and fruit un-chilled and uncovered, a feast for every fly in the area! The 'a la carte' menu consists of salads sandwiches and chicken wings - hardly 5 star cuisine.

Stay there and enjoy the rooms and the facilities - but eat and drink elsewhere

Comments