Oscar Resort Hotel Kyrenia

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Oscar Resort Hotel Kyrenia

enjoyed the quiet

by TripAdvisor Member dargai

Having read the reviews before we left I thought oh no when we arrived in the vicinity of the hotel, but once inside very pleasantly surprized. We had a studio as normal this was the largest to date and the most comfortable. Air con was fixed within a day extra light within hours of asking. The gardens were lovely to wander through. The water in the pools was clean and clear and the bottom of the pools not slimy. It only took 20 minutes to wander through the side streets to the town center and a short cut took you to the castle. Our room had a brilliant view of the working harbour and we watched the ferrys come and go. there was no noise from there at all.One could eat out in town or walk up past the supermarket 10minutes away a slowmeander and there were eating houses in abundance or walk along the main road past the roundabout to another selection of restaurants. the roadworks outside the hotel caused inconvenience to the traffic for the casino but did not detract for the hotel and caused no noise to the guests as most of the work is not by machinery but by hand

Start up the bulldozer, boys

by TripAdvisor Member thepawseasons

We had a truly fantastic holiday fortnight .
Last year.
This year we went to the Oscar Resort in Kyrenia.
There are many attractive places in Northern Cyprus and many wonderful and charming people. Unfortunately neither the hotel nor the staff fall into these categories.
This place is quite simply unique. If there are other 4 star hotels that can boast a smell of sewage capable of stripping the lining of your nasal passages, we have luckily managed to avoid them.
And what 4 star hotel has a cleaning regime that allows for clean bed linen once a week? In the end we resorted to stealing laundered sheets and making the bed ourselves. I imagine the two discarded cotton buds that took up residence under our bathroom sink have by now claimed asylum. Perhaps a future occupant of room 272 could let us know more.
A stain from a spilt drink festered away quite happily on the main staircase for the best part of a week until some eagle-eyed employee decided to do something about it ( we applaud your effort but you missed a bit)and the front desk staff had to a man graduated with honours from the Traffic Warden Finishing School.
We particularly loved the breakfast ticket arrangement which brought back memories of public school refectories, (but without the same quality of food).
This is a truly dreadful place, badly managed and in need of demolition, not refurbishment. Preferably while the staff are holding a meeting inside.
This hotel is as welcoming as Cerberus and as attractive as a fungal infection.
Never have we enjoyed the return flight so much. Prepare to be misled.

certainly not 4 star

by TripAdvisor Member pals397

I certainly would not class this hotel as a four star, compared to the many 4 star hotels I have stayed in. The villas were very shabby, smelly and outdated, and we avoided spending any time in them at all. There was a wasp nest wedged between the windows and shutters whcih was never removed and spiders nests (lots)attached to the sofa bed frame underneath which again were never removed. On a couple of occasions dead cockroaches were left in the room AFTER the cleaner had been. The air conditioning unit was so old and leaked every night keeping you awake with a continuous drip drip drip sound.There was a sewerage smell around, nearly every day with some days being really bad and unpleasant. The hotel was very expensive and with average food. There was not a lot of entertainment put on for either kids nor adults. The hotel is situated in unpleasant surroundings so there was nowhere to walk from the hotel. The train is pointless and will only take you into town 3 times a day at inconvenient times. I would really struggle to say anything pleasant about this particular hotel and for the first time ever I was really ready to come home after my two week stay.

Look beyond the bricks to find a diamond!

by TripAdvisor Member Caty B

Having just read the latest review I felt I had to give honest feedback about our stay at Oscars.
We booked through Green Island Holidays staying with friends for 2 weeks from 2nd-16th August & had a great time.
We travelled with Cyprus Turkish Airlines & had a good flight (even with the stopover in Dalaman), with "leather "seats, lots of leg room, good food & attentive staff.
Transfer was swift & comfortable in a mini-bus & Miles the rep was friendly & efficient,(needed to sleep but couldn't take my eyes off the views, saw the sunrise over the five-fingers mountain-stunning, & Miles's smile was just as bright!.
Like others we noticed the construction as we drove to the hotel, (the locals have to live somewhere), but you must look beyond that!.
Don't forget the British are buying over here too!
On arrival we were greeted by a friendly member of staff, who informed us that our mini-villa wasn't available!
Lucky for us!
We were given a KING-SUITE !, cleaned every day & fresh towels & linen (fabulous), & as this didn't have SC facilities were given complimentary breakfast vouchers for the entire stay (fantastic), thank-you.
The restaurant was very clean & spacious with well presented and a good variety of food.
The waiters like the rest of the staff were attentive, well dressed & friendly.
We booked for the Cypriot night in the hotel and had a super meal - (buffet & eat as much as you like) - I didn't manage desert!. The traditional dancing was entertaining but I'm not sure about the belly dancer (have seen better)!. The tables were set out beautifully on the sea-front patio, (this area needs using more often).
My only slight critisism is the beach, (this does need some attention) more sand & maybe palms & plants?.
It's a good idea to hire a car although taxis are readily available & a reasonable price.
The hotel runs it's own "noddy train" into town, I used to catch it at 10o'clock to shop & sight see, (I felt very safe & comfortable walking around on my own), then hop back on at 1o'clock ready to relax by the wave pool!
The pool facilities are great for children, mine are age 14 & 9,(they were also safe around the complex with friends).
There was a smell by the lower pool by the toilets, but I put this down to ignorant people not flushing the toilet & blocking it with toilet paper,(PUT YOUR PAPER IN THE BIN).
We only booked 1 trip with the rep which was to Nicosia & was great value for money. For £19.00 you got transport, a guide (sorry I can't remember your name but you were great), turkish bath, a super meal & saw sights to last a lifetime.
We visited a bazaar, St Sophia's Cathedral, had time to shop & crossed the "green line " into southern Cyprus (what an experience).
Kyrenia Castle is worth a visit & has some spectacular views, catch the train down to town & for 9ytl entrance fee is excellent value.
A visit to Bellapais Abbey is a must!, we visited early one evening booking a table at the Kybele restaurant and using their courtesy taxi. We had the best of both worlds, time to look around before our meal & then eating in the light of the abbey with classical music playing in the background (so romantic).
We may visit again next year for our 20th anniversary!
As my husband is afraid of heights!, I took my son & his friend up to St Hilarion castle,(very hot & tiring) but so worth it when you reach the summit -(what an achievment) -the views are awesome!. (The taxi driver actually waited for us to take us back to the hotel - what service!).
The only beach we visited was "Turtle Beach" at Alagadi, (didn't see any turtles as it was morning).
Would like to go again to see the Karpaz Peninsula,(maybe next year).
Kyrenia is a culinary delight!, we ate at Niazi's (best meze ever), Carob Bar (rooftop view of the harbour), The Green House & Patio (great pizzas & mexican food), The ADDress (posh), to name but a few & not forgetting Alesta's (near Oscars), don't be put off by the dusty roadside, there is a patio garden round the side (good food, value & service). Hope to see you soon Ali!
All washed down with a glass of Villa Doluca or a cold Efes (Mmmm).
This was our first visit to Northern Cyprus & will not be our last.
Yes, there are parts of Oscars that need attention (although I think it's being refurbished next year), but you could find faults everywhere (I have travelled extensively) & personally I go on hoiday to have a good time not to nit-pick, some people seem to enjoy moaning, "what do you want ",(compensation!!).
The genuine warmth of the people, the sun & the sights makes Kyrenia a wonderful place to holiday.
Hope to be back soon.

Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

by TripAdvisor Member gillyblue25

Just arrived back from a week long stay at Oscar's Resort and was pleasantly suprised, especially after reading some of the "off putting" reviews previously posted.

As other reviews have mentioned, the run up to the hotel is like travelling through a building site, I'd have to agree, but that is typical to many places in Northern Cyprus and Turkey especially where extensive development is being undertook. Once inside the resort, you have no reference to the "outside world", just the peace and tranquillity of its sea facing resort.

The hotel lobby and bar area is immaculately tidy and is roomy, with a lovely veranda area over looking the landscaped gardens leading off. The staff are friendly and very efficient. We arrived at the hotel at 5am and we were checked in efficiently and our luggage was brought up to our room by a porter immediately.

The rooms are dated, we had a very tasteful 1980's powder pink room with wooden floors! But the aircon worked, the beds were made and the rooms cleaned on a daily basis. We have been told that Oscar's is scheduled to go through a refurb next year, so hopefully the decor will be more modern, but having said that, we used the room to sleep, shower and change in - why travel abroad to stay in a hotel room all day when you can be out enjoying the weather and the scenery!?

The gardens were fantastic, citrus trees, pomegranate trees, olive trees, avocado trees, courgettes, banana trees, fig trees were bountiful. There is also a mini amphitheatre, tennis courts, an out door a la carte restaurant and 3 pools to choose from, all of which were great.

I think I should set the record straight about the "sewage" problems that have been mentioned in previous reports. No, we never saw any in the pool areas, they were very clean and you were asked to shower before entering the pool. Yes, there was a slight smell of sewage at the bottom corner of the pool, but this was because the toilets were situated there and I imagine the septic tank wasn't too far away too! It wasn't over powering and we didn't find it offensive. If people bother to read the signs and respect the facilities provided for themselves and other guests, i.e. showering before entering the pool and not flushing used toilet paper down causing blockages, maybe the "problem" wouldn' t be there!

The food was good and plentiful, especially the choice at breakfast! You can have a freshly cooked omelette to order by the chef in the buffet area and they also serve pancakes or fired eggs on alternative days - yes, pancakes with fresh lemon and sugar! The snack bar at the pool was always busy and food again was freshly cooked to order and was ample for a snack bar. After over dosing on meze's and kebab's, beans on toast was very welcoming!

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at Oscar's and would consider returning here again. I do recommend this resort without any hesitation.

Could be excellent but is hopeless.

by TripAdvisor Member TonyB179

The hotel is due to close for a complete refit during winter 2006/7, so I will not dwell on the heavy section of ceiling that collapsed outside our bedroom door.

If the hotel was properly managed, it would improve overnight. There is no attempt at staff training; consequently, especially in the pool bars/restaurants, ordering usually means getting up from the table and interrupting staff conversations. Once interrupted, however, they couldn't be more helpful and they are incredibly friendly. With minimal training, they would be outstanding, but having met the catering manager, it isn't likely to happen.

Another interesting point - the staff are nearly all from mainland Turkey. The local people don't like them and they are housed in relative squalor in hotel-owned flats which together with the car park provide the foreground of the 'land view'!

Should have believed most of the reviews

by TripAdvisor Member 147258369

We booked this holiday after reading the Cyprus Paradise brochure which showed pictures of a very attractive looking hotel - they must have been taken about 10 years ago.
The journey down to the hotel is like going through a war zone with half built buildings - some of which have people living in them & piles of rubbish as people just seem to throw their rubbish onto the street.
The hotel is very tired & we were told just after we got there that it was closing on 12.11.06 for 4 months refurbishment which will not be enough!! The staff were not being kept on & numbers seemed to dwindle every day as they, presumably, got other jobs and they obviously did not have the incentive to keep on top of things - the surfaces in our bedroom were not touched for the 2 weeks that we were there.
I will read your reviews next time & believe them!!

Loved it

by TripAdvisor Member lizofsurrey

Approaching the hotel I was a little concerned about the surrounding area but my fears were unfounded. We stayed in the mini villas within the hotel. They were cleaned daily and the towels changed daily. The staff at the hotel could not have been friendlier and always on hand should you need them. There are 3 pools, one is a wave pool, the other has two very nice slides for the children and a jacussi. The third is a large pool with bar and snacks being served. The pool area was always well maintained and plenty of sunbeds and parasols to go around. We only ate at the hotel a couple of times but the food was of a very high standard and so much to choose from. There is no beach as such only a small man made one which personally I did not fancy as it quite near the harbour but beaches within the area are lovely especially turtle beach. Very safe for children and you can see where the turtles have built there nests. Kyrenia is very pretty and the meals are great. The six brothers restaurants were our favourites. Go and enjoy a fantastic holiday in this hotel and complex.

So bad we moved!!

by TripAdvisor Member aseymour

On arriving at the hotel I became concerned as to the run down surroundings of the complex. Although advertised as being close to the centre of Kyrenia, this is completely untrue. The hotel is situated at least a half hour walk to the centre. In order to leave the hotel grounds you have to walk through what is essentially a building site. Flip-flops are certainly not suitable!!

After reading the previous reviews I was quite confident that the accommodation would meet our expectations. I was wrong. The rooms were very average (they have been redecorated but to a very poor standard) however they are the bearable. The bathrooms are a different story. They are absolutely disgusting. Tiny, black with mould, dark and covered in damp. I felt dirtier after having a shower than I did getting into it!!

After discovering all of the above issues my partner and I decided to try and forget it all and get on with our holiday. We ventured down to the main pool on our first full day. Sadly we had to leave after only one hour. The pool was dirty, dangerous (due to broken tiles and poorly finished buildings) and the whole area stunk of sewage. I felt physically sick after spending a short time there.

After so many disappointments I had had enough. I phoned our rep and asked to be moved hotels. Thankfully this was quite an easy process. We moved to the Pia Bella hotel which was absolutely fabulous! A real 4 Star hotel!!

Comments