Jasmine Hotel Apartments

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 14% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Limassol

Bishopric Church, Limassol, Cyprus 2010Bishopric Church, Limassol, Cyprus 2010

A shop in the streetA shop in the street

Night shot, Lofou Village, Cyprus.Night shot, Lofou Village, Cyprus.

Agros hillsideAgros hillside

Wine Appreciation in Cyprus

Hello,

My name is Lee. My wife and some friends will visit your lovely island country on Sunday December 6, 2009. Like so many who visit your country we will be arriving by ship in Limassol and only be there about 7 hours.

I love wine! That is why I am so excited about our visit. Cypriots have been producing the wonderful Commanderia wine since 800 BC, maybe longer. I lived 50 years of my 62 in California and grew up appreciating the blessing of wine. I will hire Cyprus Chaufeur for 4 hours to take us to some of the important wine related places near Limassol.

I have been in contact with Sophocles Vlassides and I am waiting for a reply to see if he can schedule a visit with us while we are there. I am having trouble finding his village on a map. Do you know where his family vineyard is located and how long it will take to drive there from Limassol?

We are also very interested in visiting one of the 14 villages which produce Commanderia wine. This would mean a trip to the Troodos mountains. If we drive to Domaine Vlassides and meet with Sophocles for an hour will we still have time to get to the Comanderia region, visit a winery and make it back to the wine museum in 4 hours?

I also wonder if we should expect to pay for our wine tastings at the wineries? In Napa Valley, Calif. we often can taste some wine for free and have to pay to taste "the good stuff", while in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains the tastings are almost always free. There is wine for sale at the wineries but you do not "have" to buy them. Can you explain the customs on Cyprus?

I thank you in advance for any help you can give me. Lee

by TheWanderingCamel

I think the village you are looking for is Koilani(sometimesa spelled Kilani). It's about 30 kilometres north of Limassol, off the B8, the main road that crosses the Troodos. It will probably take you about 35-40 minutes to get there once you're out of the Limassol traffic. There are 4 wineries in the immediate vicinity of Koilani, another 4 at nearby Omodos so you should be able to visit a couple of them in the time you have.

As you're not going to be there until December, I would suggest you contact one or more of the wineries listed on the local wine growers association via this link

directly with your queries. I'm sure they'll be delighted to help.

by luckybluesman

Thank you for your reply. I will do so research in the areas you have mentioned. I see that most of the wineries request an appointment for tasting so once I know which ones to visit I will contact them directly as you suggest. Thanks again for your help. Lee

by freytor

I know you posted your question a very long time ago but as you have still a few months left before visiting Cyprus, I hope you see this.

I don't know the particular winery you mention but I have been to visit a few. One was the large KEO winery and we had not made an appointment. The tour was very limited but we did get to taste a lot of wine for free, including Commandaria. I have also been to the Tsiakkas winery which is just off the main road between Limassol and Troodos. This winery is smaller but again we just passed by and were allowed a visit. They charge for the tour (I think they charge 4 euros per person) but wine tasting is free. Even though you are not expected to buy wine, they appreciate when you do so!

There are many wineries in the Troodos mountains and travelling from one to another does not take too long, as long as you stick to some of the main roads as others can be very narrow and curvy. You can drive all the way from Limassol to the Olympis mountain in Troodos (the highest mountain) in about an hour so you should be able to see quite a bit in four hours.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

by luckybluesman

Thanks for taking the time to reply. KEO is a winery we had hoped to visit but I do not believe there will be anyone there on Sunday. I have written both KEO and Tsiakkas wineries and I am waiting for a reply. We have been invited to taste at Labouri winery and the wine museum is open so we will stop there. I received a reply from Christos the director of Revecca Developing (Ayiou Mamas), who has arranged for us to pick up a free bottle of Commandaria "Revecca" at the Venus wine shop near the port in Limassol. Christos recommended we try Tsiakkas, Ayia Mavri, and Bardalis wineries. It seems we will be having a wonderful time. Thanks again for your help. We really appreciate it. Lee

Travel Tips for Limassol

Ancient Kourion

by Aggeliki

Ancient Kourion was a city in Cyprus, which endured from antiquity until the early Middle Ages.It was a major centre of cultural, political and religious life. The town was founded in the 12th Century BC by Mycenean Greeks.
It was home to the centuries-old site of the Sanctuary of Apollo.Kourion was destroyed by two catastrophic earthquakes in the early 4th century. It's a place full of extensive ruins and well-preserved mosaics.

Excellent food in a quiet location

by rjw8652 about Ryan's

Overlooking the Akrotiri salt pan, close to the entrance to the British RAF base, this is a famiy favourite that was always enjoy visiting. Great local and international food. Friendly, efficient and helpful staff make this an enjoyable dining experience, and the drive to get there through the Fassouri wine area is pleasant as well. Highly recommended. Steaks and seafood are good, as are Ryan's signature dishes.

Limassol

by intertraveler

"More than just a resort."

My first thoughts about Limassol were good and as the week went by and saw more of the resort I was mainly inpressed.

This is a large resort, we stayed in the Potamos Yermasoyias area which is the main tourist area. This is about 4 miles to the centre of Limassol. We walked it on our first day but the bus service is good (no 30 bus)

Limassol as a lot to offer, from the tourist area with the usual sov shops bars restaurants and discos ect.
But as you walk further into Limassol there was a Debenhams store on the sea front which was large and they also sold food as well.
further on near the harbour and Castle there are the narrow steets (the old part) with shops bars and restaurants, nice to wander around.
This area leads into the new part were the main shopping area is lots of desighner shops ect.

The beaches are spread out in different areas some obscured by buildings and hotels but the main beaches more into Limassol itself.

If your into looking at ancient sites limassol could be a good base to stay.

Limassol would be on the top of my list if I was to go back to Cyprus.

Limassol

by cheekymarieh

* UNDER CONSTRUCTION *

This the town on the island that hosts the annual wine festival. It is held towards the end of September.

I have to admit that the beaches here are not my favourite. They tend to be full of cigarette ends.

There is a strong Russian influence in the town. It has a reputation for gangsters. This is much hyped up as far as I can understand. You will find that the major city in the rest of Europe have much more violence than here.

Comments