The Mill Hotel

Tags

Hiking and Walking Photography Eco-Tourism
See Amenities
greekcypriot's Profile Photo

The Jewel of Kakopetria -Steady Value!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 9, 2014

I spent 4 amazing days in Kakopetria on my recent 3 week Business trip to Cyprus and I consider the Mill Hotel where I picked to stay, the landmark of the village. Of course this was not the first time I was here. It is a place you will fall in love and I am sure you will want to visit again and again.

LOBBY-CHECK-IN: The lobby and reception are to be found on the second floor. Checking-in was smooth, swift and efficient and the ladies out there were very friendly like always. It is pleasant to be here the year round, either sitting by the fireplace or overlooking the mountain-view on the terrace. On this same floor there is a sauna as well, but it is available upon request.

LOCATION: Perched atop the river that runs through the village it enjoys the flowing river and overlooks the old village which is unique in architecture and is like a huge, open-air museum. Mind you, the village is the only one of its kind in Cyprus and the Mill Hotel is just 5km from the summit of the Troodos Mountain.

THE HOTEL: Pictures do not and cannot do it justice. I consider it the perfect mountain retreat for holidays and relaxation. The view is breathtaking so if you need to get away from the heat and seek peace and tranquility it is the perfect place to be. It certainly worth a couple of hours drive to swap the frantic life for a laid back and relaxing stay. I urge tourist not to leave Cyprus without even just for once drop by to experience this unbelievably authentic hospitality of the owners and the warm welcoming of the staff. I am positive the stay will be memorable, peaceful and fulfilling. The people here are professionals and the amazing with this hotel is that there are many repeaters.

MY SUITE: The suite was really huge and elegant and the interior exquisite. With its exposed beams and rock, the contrast of the emerald green carpet and terra cotta tiles, the elegant seats with pretty cushions make it a unique place to relax and enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings. The colour of the interiors harmoniously balances with the texture and space.
You seldom come across teak wood in such extend while the balcony doors and window shutters are so heavy and tough that reminded me of those we see in old castles. The interior has a touch of tradition.

The suite enjoyed a really big balcony that overlooked the old village and the slopes (a breathtaking view) while the sound of the waters below made the stay memorable. (The sound of waters and birds can be heard throughout the village as you take a stroll). You rarely come across such divine country-like accommodation and I had really missed it. My previous visit here was some years back where I spent 8 memorable nights with my husband enjoying part of our summer holidays. Now that I am back, I pleasantly noticed that the Business continues to keep its steady value. In all, it has a lovely rustic feel and after renovations it is still in a very good condition.

BATHROOM: It was spacious with a huge mirror covering a big part of the wall and a marble stand and sink for washing the hands. There is also a Jacuzzi bath tub and a shower but this time instead of the usual aromatic salts, the hotel provides complimentary a Shampoo and a Bath gel. It is the very popular Tamana Organic Line. Towels are changed daily. When I asked for a Body Milk I was brought one, but I did not have one the first day.

Coffee/Tea facilities are not provided but there is always the restaurant on the 3rd floor where you can have whatever you wish. It stays open the whole day till very late at night. There is a mini bar in the suite providing a wide selection of spirits, soft drinks and chocolates…in reasonable cost. There is also a Safe and a hair-drier as well.

TIP: It is well worth paying the extra for the junior suite.

WI FI: Free Wi Fi access throughout the premises.

BREAKFAST: It is served at the dining area of the restaurant and is buffet style. It had everything to fill you up till late afternoon. I would not call it ‘continental’ as the brochure indicates. I would call it a Generous one, however when there are not so many guests it is served individually. I had no idea about this myself so when I showed up a bit late the second morning I thought that I arrived much late and I missed it. In this case, the waiter who is very friendly asks you exactly what you wish to have and it is served directly to your table. Personally I prefer this type of service than buffets but I enjoyed both.

THE RESTAURANT: The Mylos restaurant prides for its succulent trout, but in all I found the cuisine exquisite and very interesting. Whatever I tried was superb and the portions are huge.
There are professional members of the family who are Chefs and cooks here and I asked to meet them to congratulate them for the excellent dishes I tried throughout my stay. This is how I found out about the people behind the restaurant.
Besides the Mylo’s Special Trout that is beyond compare (€18.00) and I highly recommend, I tried the Grilled Prawns for €24.00, and the Pepper tender sirloin for €15.00. The latter was juicy and spice to the extent that was pleasing, and the Prawns were divine.

The Village Salad costs €13.00 -virgin olive oil is used and you could tell that it was freshly cut minutes before serving. I also tried and loved the Avocado Vinaigrette starter (€4.75) I found it refreshing. The smoked Salmon is a starter you should not miss (€6.50) It was amazingly tasty!
There are Cold and Hot Starters like Prawn Cocktail, Grilled Lounza (4 pieces) Stuffed Red Peppers with Spicy Hot Feta Cheese, Cyprus Homemade Sausage, Grilled Mushrooms and several more ranking from €4.00 - €6.50.

Very popular are the Pork Filets with Commandaria and they cost €15.00. There are 7 different Steak dishes ranking from €14.00 and it is the Sirloin (cooked on the grill and is served with French fries or jacket potato) while the most expensive one is the T. Bone which costs €29.00. I cannot comment on this because I have not tried it but I am sure it is excellent like the rest of what I had.

Burgers rank between €5.50 with the Hamburger being the cheapest and both the Cheeseburger with Bacon & Chips and the Chicken Breast in Bund and Chips cost €7.25.
The cheese platter costs €9.00.

BEVERAGE: The Local Keo beer small bottle costs €2.65 while the big one is at €3.50. The wine I really loved and accompanied my dishes with, was one of the excellent wines coming from the ‘Vlassides’ family winery. The owner can recommend the best that really matches with what you order …only ask for it. It is amazing how much the owners care for their guests so don’t be surprised to see them coming to your table and ask about the food or your stay.
Both Father and Son are a wealth of information on things to see and do in the area and no matter how busy they might be they will make the time to sit and chat making your stay a memorable experience. (As you can see, prices are quite reasonable).

TIP: There are special dishes for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Because the restaurant is always busy, it is advisable to make a reservation firstly to secure a better spot but also to assure that you will find a table.

DON’T MISS: If you love culture and history approach Mr. Yianni the owner. There is nothing in the area that he misses, and by all means don’t leave without visiting the Church of Ayios Nicholas tis Stegis. There are several monasteries and Old Churches many of the UNESCO Sites.

IN ALL: My stay here is one to remember thanks to the warm hospitality and friendliness of the owners, the unbeatable team and staff. They do their best to make their customers feel valued guests and this is how I felt out here.
Keep the good work up guys. You are a bunch of professionals and you have proved it through all these years that we guests keep coming back. I owe you a big Thank You.

5 Photos of The Mill Hotel

View Professional Photos

Amenities at The Mill Hotel

• Restaurant
  • Free Parking

Kakopetria Travel Forum

Need advice about Kakopetria, Cyprus? Visit the Travel Forum for Kakopetria and ask our Answer Gurus.

Kakopetria Travel Guide