4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Alexander The Great Beach Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 79% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Alexander the Great getting old

We stayed two days in Alexander the Great at the end of our paphos holiday. We had heard great things about the hotel and the food.

We were there in early April - really before the main tourist season.

The hotel is rather old-fashioned and shows some signs of needing a major rebuild. Bedrooms are quite small - think of a Travelodge - balconies are miniscule.

The food is certainly not 4 star and is more like a package holiday tourist hotel.

We like coffee in the evening and in the morning before breakfast. No facilities are provided in the room but the hotel booklet indicates this is available via Reception. I phoned down and was told I needed to appear in person. I did so and despite the charge of 6 Euro per day could not be made avalialble until the following day. Then it was revelaed the minimum number of days was 3. No luck then. mM comment about this being ludicrous was met by a shrug.
    Breakfast was fine by buffet standards.

Drinks were expensive.

Service was first class with a good share of eastern Europeans replacing native Cypriots.

In all disappointing stay in a 4 star hotel with 5 star prices and 3 star facilities.

• leics's Profile Photo

Nicer than I expected.........

I didn't book here; I was moved by my operator. And I don't 'do' big hotels, or 'posh' ones, and this is both.

But actually I really enjoyed my stay (but I went out of season, so can't say if it's the same in the summer). I thought it was going to be rather grey and stiff but it wasn't (although they do have rules about what you can/can't wear for dinner etc).

The staff (many Eastern European) were courteous and helpful, the food was particularly good (I thought), the hotel itself was pleasantly laid out and comfortable. It's built on an ancient burial site, which was a bit of a plus for me as there are rock-cut tombs within the grounds to explore. There are indoor and outdoor pools and a rather nice little sandy beach immediately below, tennis court, hairdresser, massage place etc etc.

My room was absolutely fine (plenty of hot water, squeaky clean, chocolates on the pillow every day, good towels [including towels specifically for the pool], room safe, mini-bar etc etc). It was at the fron though and, despite quadruple glazing, there was a lot of traffic noise. Not a problem for me, as I always use ear-plugs, but I think many people would find it too noisy....best ask for a side or sea-view.

There was some sort of entertainment every night, usually a musician/singer or pianist. Wasn't fond of this, if honest.....would have far preferred local music/songs rather than 'Lara's theme' and so on. But that's just a personal opinion: I'm sure others would disagree.

Unique Quality: It has a lovely sunset view (as has much of Kato Pafos), and its cleanliness was very impressive. It seems to be a very well-regarded hotel locally (the ex-pat community have their Christmas 'do' there), which is an indicator I think. So yes, it would be a good choice. It's within walking distance of the harbour too (many of the newer hotels are quite a way away from the main area), and regular buses along the coast and to the harbour/upper town stop outside.

One thing to note: as with most parts of Cyprus there are lots of cats around. They don't come into the hotel, but they are by the pool and on the terraces etc. If you don't like cats then you should be aware of this (the tom-cats aren't neutered so there are some interesting noises at night!)

Directions: About a kilometre from the harbour, along the main coastal strip.

More about Alexander The Great

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member lorenzo82

I only got to stay here for a few days but will hopefully return soon. The hotel was really nice. Our room was one of the nicest I have stayed in and the pool area was great. The Hotel also has a really good location. Paphos was really lovely too.

I didnt expect to get nice weather in December but it was lovely.

Location Location Location!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member SharonBangor

Just arrived back from staying at this hotel for a week. Hotel is in an excellent location and all shops, bars, restaurants and the harbour of Paphos only 5-10 minutes walk away. Hotel staff were very courteous and pleasant at all times (as all greek cypriots are). The only downside was it was very chaotic at breakfast every morning - but this was to be expected as the hotel seemed to be full. I would not like to stay here in the summer if it was chaos like this as it was only beginning of the holiday season. I will definitley go back to this hotel maybe April next year or the year after. I enjoyed myself so much that I did not want to come home. I would highly recommend this hotel for your stay.

Nice Hotel, Great Location

Stayed at the Alexander the Great in March 2006. We got a great deal on the hotel throgh First Choice and were not disappointed . A very pleasant hotel in a great location for all that Paphos has to offer. Great choice of restaurants and nightlife in the area and right on your doorstep.
Fully recommended.

Excellent Hotel

My wife and I have just returned from 2 weeks in the Alexander the Great Hotel. I read all the previous reviews and have to say that everything that I read turned out to be very accurate. I have stayed in many top class hotels and I rate this hotel amongst the best. Whilst the standard is extremely high throughout - at no time did I feel out of place. The staff are extremely friendly and helpfull and deserve the highest rating. I was very fortunate to be allocated room 302, which must rank as one of the best rooms in the hotel with a 50'x30' balcony looking over the sea, harbour and in land. It was great. I thoroughly recommend this hotel to others and should I return to Paphos in the future, I would have no hesitation in staying here. All restaurants local are very good and I find it difficult to recommend one or another. All are different and worth a try. Also the location is superb with just a short stroll to the town centre and harbour area.

Don't go superior!

by TripAdvisor Member Peabody75

We stayed at the Alexander to celebrate my 30th Birthday, so we splashed out for a superior room, unfortunately apart from the size there was nothing superior about it.... It was v. noisy with traffic, music and building work coming from the town. We were in a superior room right on the side of the hotel. We could also hear the noise of water pipes at 5am in the morning as the room next doors bathroom was at the end of our bed. Add to that the window right by the head of our bed, shining light down and we didn't sleep v. well in the first two days!!

When we asked to be moved to another room we were told the hotel was fully booked, then we asked to speak to the manager. He made us feel like schoolkids in the headmasters office, but said we could move to another superior room the next day. Well we moved to a standard seaview room - which although small was better than the superior room, as it wasn't noisy and faced directly out to sea - a proper seview - however we recvd no refund for moving to a standard room and argued for a whole afternoon with the manager and the Portland rep that it was a standard room while they said it was superior. We decided to put it behind us and enjoy the rest of our holiday.

Other than the disaster with the room our holiday was enjoyable, the hotel itself is well located for the restaurants and the nightlife and we were quite happy walking out of an evening to find somewhere to eat. We also enjoyed returning to the hotel after our meal and having a drink at the bar which looks out to the sea.

We booked B&B and were glad we did as the restaurants in Paphos were of an excellent standard. Breakfast at the hotel was average, but we enjoyed lunch around the pool, and service at the pool bar is great with waitresses walking around regularly asking if you need serving. The sunbed allocation system worked well too, it was nice to relax and not worry about getting a sunbed in the morning.

In short, I would recommend the hotel, but I would warn people to get a standard seaview room in the middle of the hotel if they want a relaxing break.

A relaxing rest

Stayed at half term as I'm a teacher. Had a room ocerlooking the sea which was well worth paying the extra for. Really impressed with the service.....reception even assisted my husband in locating a 'friend' who lived on the island that he had not seen in 18 years. Went B & B, and found the breakfast excellent...so much choice. Generally we ate out in the evenings but found the local restaurants very disappointing [ even some recommended by others on here]. On two evenings we got a taxi to Zorbas on the Kings Road [ I think that was the name of it] where we received a very warm welcome and had excellent Greek food and entertainment. I would certainly recommend it.

Excellent Hotel

i stayed at the hotel last summer and thought it was amazing. went we arrived at the hotel we were quickly showed to our rooms and the service was excellent. The bedrooms were beautiful and i expecialy liked the special little touch's like the was at night the night maids came to unfold you bed for you and added a little choclate or somthing on you pillow each night.
The reason we went to cyprus was not just for a hoilday but because my mum was getting married the staff did everything in there power to make the day go to plan and the staff were amazing they were very helpful and put on excelent food for the day
The pool was great it was not to big but not to small i liked the was your sunbeds were asigned to you so you didnt have to get up early to get a nice sunbed. the beach was kept in good condition and was beautiful. The food was a diffrent selection each night and no one was ever dissapointed with it the waiters and watrisses we very firendly and sopke very good english.
The only down fall of this hoilday was we were delayed for 13 hours but this had nothing to do with the hotel.

Overall this hotel was amazing and i would deffentily go there again, and would recomend to other's

Excelent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Rebeccaclaire

This hotel is Amazing

We arrived at the hotel and i was amazed, we were given a drink by a member of staff and checked in and did not have to wait for anything. We were shown to our rooms and i thought they were beautiful. I exspecialy liked the little touches in the rooms For example at about 6:00 the night maids came round and unfolded your bedding for you and left a choclate on you pillow, i thought this is a lovely toutch.
The pool was good and i liked the way your sunbeds were allocated to each person, because we didnt have to get up early to go and get a sunbed as your ould always be there for you.
I loved the beach and thought the evening activites exspecialy the beach party!!
the reason we went to cyprus was not just for a summer holiday but for my mums wedding, the staff did everything in htere power to make the day go smothly and the food put on was gourgus!!
The resturant was lovely with diffrent selections of food each night and sitting indoors and outdoors for diffrent nights.

Overall i thought this hoilday was amazing and i would have to say thankyou to the staff at the Alexander the great for an amazing hoilday.

Becky