Tombs of Kings Road, Paphos, 8101, Cyprus

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 35% less but rated 24% lower than other 4 star hotels

More about Avlida Hotel

Great place, dodgy food

Myself and my girlfriend (25 & 23) went all inclusive at the Avlida hotel in Pafos. After a short Taxi journey from the airport (theres loads of taxis waiting at the airport - cost: £18) we were very happy to see a well presented hotel. The hotel itself is very nice and along with the pool and hotel facilities also being splendid, you cannot ask for much more then that.

The various receptionists vary from spanish to english but all very helpful and speak perfect english. The barstaff look bored sensless but once you get them talking, they were all nice people.

the entertainment is little more then a joke! for the 7 nights we were there we had 5 nights of an old cypriot man playing the oldest keyboard ive ever seen!...Truly Shocking! The only night which was any good was the fasion parade....my girlfriend didnt like it much but i thought it was outstanding!

Luckily, theres bars / restaurants / shops only minuites down the road and a good kareoke bar next door. The pool area is very plush, clean and tidy, with table tennis and pool available theres always something to do if you dont want to roast in the sun all day.

Now, we were not the only people to think the food was bad as we spoke to a few more couples who had complained. Its all warm buffet style, with a large selection BUT it all tasting either undercooked or just off! Warning: Dont go near the burgers! The soups were nice though.

All in all, i'd say go here if you were a bit older as nearly everyone who was there was 60+. Great hotel, great area, great country!

Beyond Belief

Avlida Hotel 7th -14th Sept 2005.
This hotel is not a 4* more like a 2*
This review is late as it has taken us a over a week since we have returned to recover.
My husband had seen the bad reviews but didn't tell me as we have been visiting Cyprus for over 12 years and have always found the hotels to be of a very good standard. If this had been our first visit to Cyprus it would also be our last!

Our problems started when we tried to check in at about 7.15 on the Weds evening. It became obvious that there was a major problem but to begin with they wouldn't tell us what it was, they just all kept faffing about and talking to each other.
They then claimed that we were not on the computer, the hotel was full and as we didn't have a 'voucher' were not booked. (our booking was made via local people so we did not go through an agent).

However they did have notification of us requesting extra non-feather pillows and they were waiting for us at reception ....... work that one out!

After over an hour at reception we were finally given our room key and were told that as we were an uneven number we were on first sitting for dinner which was from 7.30 until 8.30. We had therfore missed our dinner sitting but were told that we would be 'allowed' to go in for second sitting.

We went up to our room knowing that it was pushing it to get changed to go into the second sitting but as we had stood in reception for over an hour we were damp with perspiration so really needed a shower.

We got to the room and put the key in the special slot to activate the lights and nothing happened. This bit is quite prolonged so will just say that eventually we got someone from reception to come and check we were not doing anything silly.
There was definitely no electricity but for some strange reason the socket for the TV was live. We were given a lamp from the foyer, so we had 'mood' lighting and still couldn't see to get anything out of our suitcases. We were told that it was going to be difficult to get it fixed as there were no staff on duty who could deal with it.
Eventually when nothing happened we decided that dirty or not we had to go and eat
The restaurant was closed !!!! We did get in and shown to a table. I tried to get some soup, no bowls, got the bowls, soup had vanished, soup was returned but no spoons ........ We ordered 2 Keo beers. I went to pour mine and saw that the glass was filthy. Went to find someone to get a clean glass, every glass they picked up was dirty, eventually gave me one which looked ok until I saw the lipstick on the rim. I am sure that it was just 'polished' off.
Selection of food was apalling, no veg, a few cold chips which had gone by the time I got there. I had a piece of fish with some hard rice.
Desserts were limited as well, jelly, creme caramel and coconut cake.

Anyway we had eaten, so back to the room. Hurrah ! We had lights, no key in slot but who cares we had lights and at this point we were quite impressed that they had got someone to deal with it at that late hour.
My husband tried to turn the A/C on as it was so hot. Nothing happened, maybe he was not doing it correctly ? In the end he went down and got the lady from reception to come and see what the problem was. She checked everything and the controls were in the correct position. She then poked her key into the slot and was immediately thrown back against the wardrobes with an electric shock !!!!!!!!!

It would seem that whoever had 'fixed' the lights had short-circuited the switch. She then realised that we couldn't stay in that room and said for us to stay there and she would try and sort something out. We waited for another 10 mins but were melting.
We went to reception, she said that she had a big problem because the hotel was full and there were only 2 rooms available but both had problems. One was being redecorated so had ladders etc in it and no wallpaper and the other had been used for late check out and was dirty but she would get it cleaned. We opted for that when we were told it would only take 15-20 mins.
We sat in the foyer and were given a drink from the bar. The time elapsed into 45 mins, then we were given the key to another room, different floor, different side of hotel. We then had to move all of our stuff ourselves with no offer of help.
We found that the towels in the 'cleaned' room were damp, the sink had razor shavings in it and the floor was covered with hair. We took the towels from the first room thinking that they would be clean.
It was by now gone 11pm.
My husband showered and then so did I. I unfolded my towel before wrapping it around myself, thank goodness, for not only was it stained but had actual pieces of excrement on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tale does not end there, from being accused of not paying for drinks as the table we sat at to watch the 'entertainment' had not been cleared they assumed that we had consumed all the drinks which were on the table.
To having cold water from the a/c in the restaurant poured down my back as I was eating.
The food was absolutely awful as by the time second sitting came round ( we were now in a room with an even number) the selection was limited. We learnt from people we became friendly with that there was a good choice at first sitting.Desserts were not much better than the first night.

One morning at breakfast I put some saute potatoes on my plate only to find a piece of curly metal in with them ..... turns out it was a piece from one of the scouring pads used to wash the tins out!
There were so many other things wrong that to be honest we were glad to get home. There were several days when the towels were stained or smelt strange, we used our own for most of the time.

If you are thinking of using this hotel my advice would be DO NOT GO THERE UNLESS YOU GET A REALLY GOOD CHEAP DEAL AND USUALLY GO TO A 3* OR LESS. It is NOT a four star and is not up to normal Cypriot standards.
One of the main reasons for their problems is not enough staff and of having staff who are from Poland, Czech republic etc who are surly and do not understand English.
I think that the people who think that this is 'good' hotel must have been on first sitting or been on AI ( we were on half -board) so found the food to be ok.
The people we were friendly with thought it was ok but they had got a really good cheap deal for AI and had a room overlooking the swimming pool ( the only decent thing about the hotel).
If either Nigel or Eileen read this review , sorry we didn't see you on that last evening ( we went to the Venus Beach) but we did leave a message for you at reception ......!
If you do read this and want to get in touch leave a message on this site and we will see what we can work out ! You will know who we are!

Disgusting

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in on holiday. Please believe me that I am not picky and my boyfriend and I had a great time in Paphos outside of the Avlida ... but this place is nasty. If you are looking for a place to come in and fall asleep at 3 a.m. and then get up and leave early in the morning - this will do. However, if you are looking for a decent shower, bed that is comfortable, a drink in a nice atmosphere, a clean towel, good food - go somewhere else. The hotel is falling apart - the ceiling, the hallways, everything. There is a horrible stench in the hallways and in the rooms - sometimes like dead animals. We joked that the staff must have been sold into slavery because they seem so miserable - I think they are just tired of being berated by every guest who is so disappointed in where they are staying. Honestly, we were the last of our group to check in and by the time we were at the front of the line, EVERY SINGLE group who had been to their rooms before us was back downstairs complaining. It is THAT BAD. What is the topic of conversation among all of the guests at cocktail hour and around the pool? How bad the hotel is. Again, we made lemons out of lemonade and had a great time. I am just writing this review so that people don't spend their hard-earned money hoping for something nice and get stuck at the Avlida. Honestly the travel agents should know better and should be ashamed of themselves for sending people to this hotel.

Absolutely disgusting!

by TripAdvisor Member truetravel

We were moved from another 4 star to this hotel, due to a long flight delay. On arrival, we didn't think it would be too bad, however our opinion soon changed the moment we got past reception.

The room was disgusting, with a broken bed with dirty sheets and a bathroom that had flooded when we ARRIVED. What added insult to injury was the homemade "chart" drawn up by previous guests who had recorded their "conquests" during their stay at the Avlida. We actually dubbed this hotel the "CHAV FLEA PIT".

After a nailbiting ride up in the lift we chanced the stairs on the way down. BIG mistake as we saw a splattered cockroach on the stairs. What also horrified us was the open cupboard on one flight of stairs, which had electrical cables and pipes hanging out!

No way in the world should this hotel receive 4 star rating. Even though this was provided free for us due to a flight delay, we checked out and PAID for a room for 2 nights at our old "real 4 star" hotel.

NEVER EVER AGAIN!!

Not 4 star

I booked the Avlida without checking this site first! The room was clean enough but the shower did not work, there was no plug for the bath, the heating had been turned off (it was cold at night!) and you had to run the water for 15 minutes at least before it got hot. You have to pay 3 cyprus pounds a day to have tea and coffee facilities in the room and the fridge was extra too!! it was advertised as having 'satillite TV' in every room - and as I was on my own with a 7 year old, i thought that would be handy for those few hours before dinner (which was served 7.30 - 9pm - too late for little ones) . - you could get CNN with no sound and that was it!! - all the rest was in Cypriot or German! - when I asked if I could pay a supplement for an 'enhanced service' I was told that that was all there was! - a little misleading. The pool was nice, and the staff (although limited in numbers) tried their best. I tried all week to get a room service menu (cos I'm lazy!) but to no avail. The pamphlet in the room said they would be happy to hire a car for me. They told me at the desk that they didn't ususally do this... All in all, it didn't live up to the description I was given by the company.

Not A 4* Hotel

We booked last minute at the Avlida and having stayed in Paphos previously in a 4* Hotel, we had no concerns over the rating of the Hotel. What a shock, we booked a family room and were given a twin with 2 extra camp beds. We complained and were told that a family room was not available until the following day. The towels were filthy and the room grubby. We had no room to move as the beds were touching each other.

We also had issues with the times we could go to the restaurant, one hour time slot depending on your room number. Breakfast ended at 9.30am thats 7.30 in the UK. Restaurant doors were tied shut to stop anyone else coming in, this was also the fire exit. our 9 year old daughter was locked out when she went to the toilet and was very scared.

We complained to the Med Hotels rep who said that she would do her best to find us alternative accomodation. Whilst we were talking to her the manager shouted, screamed and through crockery at a waitress who had gone to get us some coffee as the coffee bar didn't have any!!

Other Hotel guests walked through the lobby and sat on the sofa's with dripping wet clothes. This is something that would never be allowed in a true 4* Hotel.

The Med Hotel rep was unable to find us alternative accomodation. She said that someone from the Hotel would speak to us about our concerns, we waited 4 days and no attempt was made to contact us.

I could go on, rude staff, no service, no fridge in room, air conditioning not working, dirty bedding, dirty glasses etc but i'd only be repeating other reviews.

We are now waiting for a response from Med hotels for our compalint.

We moved after 4 nights to the Riu Cypria Maris then the Riu Cypria Bay we would highly recommend these hotels, when we moved our holiday truly began. We would also recommend the St George Hotel where we have stayed on a previous visit. My advice if you ave already booked this Hotel is to change your booking.

What a joke

by TripAdvisor Member samuelsWrexham

my friends and I (50's) just been for 1 week, what a joke that hotel is, the towels grey, had to ask for clean towels daily, never been in a hotel with a painted bath before, staff could be rude on occasions, would serve those who were paying before us(we were AI).Definitely not 4* have always stayed in 4* but this is the worst by far. Food very repetitive, we ate out in the evening after the 4 day. The entertainment was quite embarassing and no entertainment in the day only water aerobics at 3pm. The biggest laugh of all was the bingo!

Great time

When we read the online reviews of the hotel we wondered where on earth we were going and wished we'd seen sooner so that we could cancel! So glad we didn't... We really enjoyed out time. The room was large and spotlessly clean. Linen changed regularly. The staff were really helpful and courteous. There were some moaners (guests) but you get them everywhere. Sometimes think part of the holiday for them is having a good moan! The entertainment was a bit 'cheesy' but do people really want to spend all their time in the hotel? What about visiting the country too. The food was fine and we only had to ask for something extra to be offered. Good introduction to Cyprus.

Unsafe

We had the misfortune of staying at this hotel for 2 weeks in Oct there were several things wrong with the room, which I will explain later.
The main thing that went wrong was on our third night when the FIRE ALARM went off and we had to use the stairs to get out of the hotel,that's when we noticed that two of the stairways were in complete darkness & the third was also in darkness towards the bottom, which made the evacuasion very dangerous, yet there was not even an apology of any sort from the management of the hotel for all the problems this had caused.
Back to the room when we arrived the aircon was not working, a bulb was missing from the bedside light, the fridge smelt like it was burning when we turned it on and there was no remote for the television for the first week, The television by the way was useless. We were also unable to flush the toilet at night begause of the noise it made when flushing until that was fixed after a week.
Going to breakfast was another danger as they were still cleaning the floor leading to the resturant which was wet and slippery.
The only thing which saved our stay from being a complete failure was the friendliness & help we recieved from the girls in Reception.
Like other reviewers we have been travelling to Pathos for several years and had never had problems with the hotels we have stayed at until now.
There is no way that this hotel should be graded 4 Star
It states on their website that all rooms had a mini fridge but no mention that you had to pay £2 a day for using it.
We certainly will not be using this hotel again and I am also complaining to Med Hotels about the standard of the hotel

lovely hotel

stayed at this hotel duiring the peak season and found it lovely. The staff were very friendly and helpful; regarding information about the area.The pool area was nice and clean and child friendly. Our hotel room was clean and the maid service ensured we had clean towels etc on a regular basis. Overall, we enjoyed a very enjoyable holiday!

Tombs of the Kings, PaphosTombs of the Kings, Paphos

the mosaics of paphosthe mosaics of paphos

Unusual tombUnusual tomb

carol-anne&Dancarol-anne&Dan

where is he now?

by pr1nc3ss

i was just wondering a few years ago i met i guy who worked in the mayfair hotel called markus, he worked there as a barman and i kept in touch with him. i know he didnt stay in that hotel for much longer but moved onto a bar called bubbles i since lost my phone and his number consequently! i think he would be about 26 now or maybe older i know he is orginally from liverpool and moved to cyprus when he was young i would really apprechiate if any one could give me any info on his where abouts? xx

Re: where is he now?

by doodybee

before you go much further with this enquiry just take a look in the hammamet turkey forum and then decide if you still want to contac this fella - what was up with exchanging addresses also - or does that make me seem ancient
Julie

Re: where is he now?

by josh999

helloo iam josh iam 24 i moved to cyprus when i was 15 i think i have been in the hotel before i have just rang the new hotel bubbles and i have managed too get his number , it is 07837578104 .

pleasure too help