Azia Resort

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Azia Resort

5* not as we know it!

by TripAdvisor Member 123!"£

Visit the azia resort website and you think you will be descending in to a no expense spared luxury hotel, unfortunately the reality is far from this. Yes the reception area is very pleasant, the reception desk very helpful, the bedrooms OK and staff friendly, but unfortunately the buffet style characterless dining room is somewhat depressing, the pool area needs sprucing up and the gardens are limited.
Three properties is the claim of the website, we decided to stay at the Club & Spa because it promised "Privacy and Indulgence" for an extra charge. I'm not sure where the three properties are because from my perspective this is one big hotel that shares its facilities across all guests - from indulgent seeking 30 somethings to grey rinse "executive" package holiday makers.

If you want absolute luxury in Cyprus then I would suggest the Annassa or Aphrodite Hills of forget Cyprus and do it properly in the Maldives or Caribbean.

Do Not Be Decieved by the Website!!

by TripAdvisor Member Travellerbambi

I have to say that I have never been so disappointed in my life with a hotel. I don't mind staying in 3*, even 2* hotels when the occasion requires it, as long as the price matches the accommodation. The Azia Resort's website give you the impression that this hotel is pure 5* luxury but what you actually get is an okish looking 3* hotel at best. The building is a big white monstrosity, the rooms are dull looking and the dining area and bar is totally rubbish with naff themed nights that you don't expect from a luxury spa hotel. We even got to listen to the Cypriot Eurovision Song Contest winner singing HIS version of various Madonna songs! Ok so this was quite amusing...
If we had not payed a lot of money for this hotel I would have been happy and just got on with it but as we had I decided to complain. We were only there for 2 nights and eventually late on the first night they upgraded us to a 'better' room. The only difference with the new room though was that the bath had jacuzzi jets! It's 35 degrees outside, why would I want to go and sit in my windowless bathroom and have a jacuzzi?? Eventually I spoke to the manager the next morning and he was very friendly and moved us to a room with a hot tub outside which was nice - at least better value for money anyway.
I am not a snooty 'only the best' traveller by any means, sure I love 5* hotels but I am also very happy with my backpack, travelling around Asia and staying in hostels (I'm only 26!). My anger is at paying the earth and getting nothing.
There is also something very fishy going on with this hotel. We booked it after reading an article 'Spa Like a Star' in New woman magazine claiming that this is one of the hottest spas around. I have also just seen on Expedia that this Spa is voted number 1 in the world top ten!! Please believe me, this is not true!! I can list countless spas better than this one. I am from London but currently living in Cyprus and my advice is that if you are planning to travel to Paphos I would highly recommend the Elysium instead, the hotel is much much nicer and cheaper to boot!
NB Despite most hotels in Paphos claiming that they have beaches, please be aware that they are all man-made and very poor as the coastline there is very rocky in fact. My advice though is to hire a 4x4 and head for Lara Beach on the Akamis Peninsula, it's really lovely and also quiet due to its remote location.

Don't book the Azia NO BEACH hotel !!

There is no way this hotel deserves a 5 star rating. It's a tired 3 star at best and has NO BEACH - not sure how they get away with saying they have!
Even if you book the expensive sea view with outdoor jacuzzi, the room will remind you of an IBIS/Travelodge in size, decor and overall look and feel.
The breakfast room is shiny cheap pine chairs and not at all attractive and we were told they temporarily brought in different furniture for the website photos!!!
The staff were friendly but even they didn't sem to enjoy working there. We never ate an evening meal in the restaurant but fellow guests had nothing good to say about the food.
We're pretty easy going but this was just not a 5 star experience.

a really good 'chill out' experience

We have just arrived back from a wonderful stay at the Azia [they have now removed the word 'beach' from the title of this hotel]. Travellers to this area will know that '5 star' does not mean what it does in London, Paris, Rome etc and yes, the bedrooms are not luxurious. However our room was comfortable, very clean and with views to inspire over the sea. The public areas are lovely, comfortable and peaceful. The pool and terrace area are also a testimony to the hard working ground staff.
Most of the staff were delightful. The restaurant provided generally good food but would have benefitted by being more Cypriot rather than providing rather 'middle of the road'cuisine. The staff also need to relax in this area and provide more of the hospitality the island is reknowned for.
We were looking for a relaxing holiday to recharge our batteries - this was more than achieved. Lying on a lounger by the sea shore, the scent of honey on the breeze listening to the waves was blissful.
We would gladly return to this hotel - we did not pay a 5 star price for our stay and yet experienced one of our best holidays ever.

No Way 5 Star!

My husband and I paid well over £2000 with Cadagon holidays through trailfinders for 5 days luxury without kids. Hard beds, motorway travel lodge style rooms, 1960's Blackpool style dining and no beach is what we found. We upgraded to a suite which was marginally better but the bathroom had a non working plastic whirlpool bath, a leaking loo and lots of ants. The staff really tried hard considering the drawbacks of the property - and maybe if you're not used to proper 5 * hotels you'd be happy. We ate out every evening following the mindblowingly depressing dining experience on the first night. Having visited every good hotel on Cyprus during our trip we'd recommend the Anabelle if you're without kids and the Elysium if you have them with you. However for real unadulterated luxuary the Anassa is splendid. Our advice would be to spend a little bit extra because the difference between the Azia and the above hotels was huge. We still can't believe Cadagon list this hotel on their books.

Perfect Wedding, Honeymoon At The Azia

by TripAdvisor Member peatree

I have just returned with my husbandfrom the Azia Hotel,well,what can I say-we didn't want to come home- the most perfect wedding and honeymoon anyone could ever ask for. Do not believe any negative reviews on this hotel- The entire holiday we were made to feel very vvery speacial, the staff were lovely, Stefan, the Functions Manager , who organised the wedding function at the hotel is an absolute treasure to the hotel-nothing was ever too much trouble.
Hotel was so peaceful and beautifully decorated inside and out,with such lovely gardens. We were upgraded to Superior sea view at np extra chgarge, rooms lovely and clean- wondrful views,maids excellent- twice daily- Can't fault this hotel at all.
Wish we could do it all again at The Azia.

Amazing Azia

by TripAdvisor Member mand

We ventured to the Azia with some reservation after reading a few negative reviews but how wrong peole can be! We went there to get married and to cut a very long story short,
we had the best holiday experience of our lives! It looks fantastic just when you walk through the doors and as you stroll around the lobby area, the plants, furniture and general peaceful ambiance of the place all stand out.

The hotel staff were superb especially Stefan (who has been mentioned already!) who organised our wonderful reception as well as George and Bryn who were very kind to us and very professional.

Our room was a sea view and was wonderful...cleaned twice a day with a chocolate on our pillows at night!

We loved the breakfasts - so much choice - and again, the customer service was excellent.

The pool area and gardens are amazing - our wedding photos tell the story!

We will be booking there for our 1st anniversary, that's for sure!

very nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member A8Bot

Stayed at the azia from the 19 September to the 1 October on a half board basis with my wife. We were a little unsure what to expect due to the mixed reviews we had read, but we had a fantastic time, the staff were all friendly and extremely helpful. We upgraded to a superior sea view which i'd recommend, the room was nice but as previous people have said a little basic for a 5* hotel. We had a couple of treatments in the spa which were very good. The only moan would be the food on a couple of the buffet nights, which wasn't the best. The buffet nights are three times a week and are themed. The international and the italian nights weren't to bad but the cypriut night wasn't great. The rest of the time it was a four course meal with choices which were pretty good.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back if we could get it for the same price. (shop around as you can get some good deals)

Azia - Yes Please

by TripAdvisor Member Tewam

My wife and I recently returned from a 10 day stay at the Azia and we wanted to write a review by way of thanking the hotel and staff for helping us enjoy a great holiday in Cyprus.
From the moment we arrived at the hotel and were welcomed by Costas in the marbled reception we knew we had booked somewhere special.
We were delighted with the room (a junior suite with a sea view) and breakfast, when taken on the shaded outdoor patio, was a very relaxing way to start the day. The choice of locally sourced food was extensive and, the staff were very attentive, particularly Norbert. The pool and surroundings were always immaculately presented and during the time spent there we were well served by Eric et al and a daily treat was the provision of ice cold flannels and sliced, chilled, honeydew dmelon uring the hottest part of the day.
Although some distance from Pafos, a regular bus service passes the front of the hotel from where a 10 minute journey sees you in town for 80p (Cyp).
This hotel offers an upmarket yet friendly environment from where you can discover the sights, tastes and sounds of the south west of Cyprus.

The bad, the good the indifferent - please read it all.

by TripAdvisor Member grayjean

First the bad -We booked the Azia on the basis of innumerable positive press articles and the great website. I dont know what hotel the website or the articles were describing but it wasnt the Azia. First off the website describes a boutique hotel of three properties in one... well there is one large main hotel building (this is not a boutique hotel as I understand it), another separate building (closed while we were there) and the third property - well that isnt completed yet! Next bad thing was the telephone calls from the hotel 1 month before our stay telling us that the hotel was closed and they would book us into the Coral or the Venus - not happy but we chose the Coral. Then a few days later another call... 'actually we would like to put you in the Annabelle' then after a few days another call saying that after all the Azia would be open and were back there - confused? Not as much as some of the guests we met when we got to the Azia who were there already!
Now the good - The public areas of the hotel interior design is very attractive and of a high quality. The Spa area is beautifully done and the indoor pool is very pleasant. The outdoor pool area is pleasant enough but I wouldnt describe it as anything special. The hotel had upgraded us to the 'presidential suite' which did have a quality feel to it. The staff were all very friendly. Bar prices were not ridiculous. Our kids enjoyed the place and the few (no more than 20) other guests were very pleasant.
The indifferent
We went half board so didnt expect michelin starred cusine and we didnt get it! The food was ok though and about what I was expecting.
The hotel is also a fair bit out of Paphos so get a car or use taxis.
The conclusion
What would it be like in high season - probably ok though I dont know if the spa would cope.
Would I return - no
Would I reccomend to a friend - no
Was it Value for Money - not really but it wasnt a rip off either.
Would I believe the journalists and the web site - sorry...no!
Did we have an enjoyable holiday - yes we did though Cyprus is now a very disappointing destination in that it all looks the same as the rest of the mediteranean holiday areas - dominated by lifestyle/golfcourse property developments and bar and restaurant areas that quite frankly could do with some planning control! In short why fly 4.5 hours from the UK when the same is available much closer to home. OK in December it is warmer!

Paphos sunset viewed from the beachPaphos sunset viewed from the beach

Lively Paphos harbour with its restaurantsLively Paphos harbour with its restaurants

Fabrika HillFabrika Hill

Pafos sunset.....classic....Pafos sunset.....classic....

Wedding Reception

by Julie-Sam

Hi can anyone help me please, My sister gets married in Paphos on August 8th 2008 and 55 of us are staying in villas around the Coral Bay area. Can anyone suggest a restaurant with a traditional theme that will cater for us all?

Re: Wedding Reception

by Tourtech

We got married in Paphos and stayed in Coral Bay. We did our reception at the Coral Beach Resort, it is a 5 star hotel and was amazing. I would reccomend it for a reception, but it is not quite traditional if that is specifically what you are looking for.

there is a bar/lounge called Sense lounge. They would be a modern type place that would have enough room to do a reception and would do a high end type job. Is that what you are looking for?

Other than that, most of the restaurants (except for Phideas Tavern) are more geared towards the tourist trade based on our experience. We did not find what I would consider the right place to have a wedding reception, though we did not visit them all.

Good luck with the wedding and have fun!

Comments