Theas Afroditis Avenue, 8101 Paphos

Travelocity Expedia.com

Costs 56% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

A well-run hotel, Worth to give it a try!

The Asimina Suites I was staying in, is right next to the Pioneer and during my 3 night stay I had the opportunity to visit it. I was curious and decided one day to get inside, I had a drink and took some photos.
    I came across one couple out at the beach who were residents of this hotel and they were telling me that they find the Pioneer quite satisfying. What I write is general and it is only what I saw during the time I was there. I did not have the opportunity to stay here so I cannot comment about the rooms the restaurant or the cuisine of the hotel.

It seems to be a well-run hotel in a quiet location, although one of the nights the music and noise from the entertaining programme taking place out there was heard next door. I happened to be dining at Kymata the a la carte restaurant and a guitarist was playing and singing some amazing Greek ballads but suddenly it was not possible to hear him. Somebody from the management of the Asimina called the people of the Pioneer but the loud music and noise from the hotel’s entertaining staff was never turned down. Luckily the programme did not go on after midnight!

Through the stroll I had during lunch time I noticed that the restaurants were full and saw only happy faces around. There was even a kiosk in the gardens selling kebab and ice cream for very little.

The gardens are really beautiful and seem inviting just like the next door hotel that I was staying. The Pioneer is an Adult only hotel, so you won’t see children running by. There are Palm trees in the garden, sun-loungers scattered throughout the beautiful premises.

TIP: In all, I believe it is worth to give it a try and probably I will on a coming trip too.

More about Pioneer Beach Hotel

Pioneer Beach Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Rossso

Lovely hotel, twin bedded room small but nice, tea making facilities, fridge, safe £7.00 for 14 nights, beach towels 4 in room changed daily, cleaners a bit hit and miss but generaly ok. Sunbeds a problem - mostly towels sunning them selves and not people we had to go to a sister hotel to get one as at our hotel they were all full. If you want one get up at 05.00am. Staff very good and happy with the odd serious one here and there. There are no good beaches in Pafos, this one is very small and very stoney. This is a 16 and over hotel so no kids, but the beach is shared with other hotels which do have kids so you still get that horrible loud screeching that you want to get away from. Beware of timeshare touts they will drive up the pavement and harass you all the way to the harbour where there are plenty more of them - especially the loud foul mouthed Northern girl whome I nicknamed MUNTER. Worst retaurant Poseidenes Tavern in harbour the last one upstaires food was rubbish and expensive. Best retaurant Brames & Liszt on the triangle on Poseidenes Ave. Taxi's about £5.00cyp for 3 miles. Hope this helps. Peter

Perfect Pioneer Beach

by TripAdvisor Member spuddywag

Just returned from a 2 week stay at the Pioneer Beach and had a great holiday.
The hotel is at the 'other end' of Paphos and is as far out as you can go in Kato Papos, but there is a bus service running every 10 - 15 mins taking you into the harbour and a taxi to the harbour costs £5.
Within 15 mins walking is a number of great bars and restaurants, we can recommend Cavellini's (but you'll need to book in advance, Gabor and The Rib Shack. There is also a nice Irish Bar a little bit further.
The hotel has excellent facilities, the pool and beach area is brill and very relaxing and quiet as no kids and no music, perfect to lay on a sun bed and relax.
There are a high number of 'older generation', we're in our early 30's and didn't feel out of place, we only stayed in the hotel during the day when we were round the pool and for breakfast.
There is a lovely terrace bar which is great for watching the sun set before setting off into town.
Rooms are good, they have Sky Sports 1, 2 & Sky News, beds are comfy and bathrroom nice and clean.
For the cost and location there can't be many better hotels in Paphos

lovely peacefull hotel

by TripAdvisor Member nicky30

we just got back from the pioneer beach a few days ago it was a lovely hotel very peaceful. with it being a adult only laying by the pool or swimming in the pool was lovely with no splashing kids around you the only problem is they shut the pool bar at 18oo hr and the pool shuts then as well didnt have any problems with getting a sun bed as long as your down by 915 in morning and you dont get the problem with people putting towels out the night before because it didnt happen, staff are very friendly , food was great loads to choose from breakfast and dinner time they had a few theme nights where we sat outside by the pool they was well worth it food was out of this world and dancers was good as well. the pafos aphrodite waterpark is only a 5 min walk from hotel you can see it from the front doors of hotel just up the road cant get lost it cost 16cyp for aldult food and drink inside is good as well if you like swimming in see take the bus to coral bay water much cleaner and waves not to hard and not to rocky you will see what i mean when you get they only went to beach outside our hotel once. if you want more night life get the bus to bar street just before the harbour loads of pubs and clubs just ask someone when you get there as you wont see it from the road, went to adonis baths water falls great to see nightmare to get there you go up into the mountains then go of road i didnt think we was gonna get there was bit scarey but great when got there. you have the paphos karting centre there as well if not tryed it like myself must try was wicked but make sure you get the right one its not the one by the water park its on the road behind the water park and to the left, all in all had great week away would go back to the pioneer beach hotel again.

Child free Pioneer Excellent idea

by TripAdvisor Member Dundeepat

We have just returned from the Pioneer Beach, our first visit to Cyprus. For anyone who does not mind being away from the hubub of the late night cafes etc. this hotel is ideal. A short bus journey takes you down to the cafes and tourist shops. Beware of the many taxi drivers who will stop and ask if you want a lift Always agree a price beforehand. The hotel was very clean and the staff always polite, friendly and helpful. I would agree with another comment about the sunbeds. Once or twice when we had been out in the morning it was difficult to get a sunbed with an umbrella by early afternoon. We were on a BB basis and found the breakfasts very good with plenty of choice. An added bonus was the fact that you were shown to a table and not left wandering about looking for a free one. The dining room is very spacious and if you enjoy eating al fresco it also had tables outside by the pool. We took advantage of an offer to book half board for 4 consecutive nights at 8cyp pounds each. This was excellent value and included special Greek nights and other entertainment. For us a big plus is the access to the beach. Safe swimming and snorkelling. Definitely consider a return trip.

Good but not Excellent -

by TripAdvisor Member MrMillls

I enjoyed our stay at the Pioneer Beach, it is close to a waterpark, a funpark and two go-karting circuits. More impressive was Paphos itself, a pleasant atmosphere day and night with loads to do. Coral Beach (Coral Bay) is a good place to visit, and the watersports around Papos were impressive. The Troodos mountains are a good hour or so away so bring a map. We used Trip Advisor to find out about the Pioneer, looking back now the other reviewers do give a fair and accurate account of this hotel - I hope to add to this!

BAD POINTS
The reception staff at the hotel are rude, all of them responded with a magesterial negativity; as if you had walked into their home and asked to use their toilet. My advice is that if they are rude to you - you tell them what you think of their attitude or you record it in the guestbook! Your comments will stand out amongst all the brainless, mechanical praise like a sore thumb. I needed to speak to them a total of maybe 3 times all holiday but on each occasion I felt like a nuisance. One example of their imperious behaviour follows!....

I cancelled a reservation for 'Flambe Night' on our last evening (which we were coerced into anyway). This cancellation was made 2 hours prior to eating. I admit it was stupid on my behalf, inconsiderately late to cancel too, we should have said "No" the previous night when Savvas pressured us into saying "Yes".

Anyway, the reason we cancelled was that we had run out of money! There was a free meal included in our half board package so we opted for this (the 'Flambe' was an additonal £20 a head). Anyway, the irate girls behind reception made two dramatic calls to the kitchen before lecturing me on our behaviour. I timidly asked about the Sky Sports (which hadn't worked all week) and I got another frosty reply/ticking off. Oh the looks! Anyone would have thought I'd just insulted their flambe... sorry; family.

Gymnasium is more of a store room for out of date weight machines.

GOOD POINTS
The food is very repetitive and heavy. That is not to say that it tastes bad, quite the opposite infact. There is plenty of selection, the wine is good and the outdoor meals are brilliant. The problem is that after 4-5 days, your whole body cannot take anymore of it. It tastes good but it doesnt make you feel good, I suffered a complete lose of appetite by the Friday. Everything hot is cooked in butter - whoever said the pancakes were a 'particular hit' must have a stomach of steel. Stick to the cereals if you want to to enjoy the rest of the day, there are good healthy options. And do watch out for Savvas, he is a lovely chap but he will make 90% of you not wanting flambe; sign up for the flambe.

Excellent mix of people staying at the Pioneer, all age groups except screaming children. If you are with a family, a girlfriend/boyfriend or friends you probably won't feel out of place, it should appeal to most.
The rooms were very good and well looked after.
The swimming pool is brilliant and although the beach hasn't got much sand there are great waves for swimming. There are loads of loungers and it is pretty easy to find ones by the pool after breakfast.
There are two girls (Tini and ?) who organise the daytime sports like table tennis, darts, boules... they deserve a special mention for their friendliness and hard work. Infact, all the staff are great if you ignore the front desk.

I would go back to Paphos but not the Pioneer. I would recommend the hotel to those who have never been but I don't know how 'regulars' keep returning. If you like peace and quiet without children then this place is ideal. If you like swimming in the sea/watersports then maybe a hotel nearer Coral Bay would suit you. Should you have already booked a holiday here then don't let me worry you - the Pioneer has far more strengths than weaknesses, it shouldn't disappoint you.

Friendly service and well maintained

by TripAdvisor Member steelebeardy

My wife and I have just returned from two weeks at the Pioneer. Having read other comments, I agree with most of them, but we had a fdabulous stay and would certainly go back again. The Hotel is kept very clean, is ideally situated and we found all the staff very friendly and helpful. It was a real bonus not having to listen to children all week as well! The food at the Hotel we found to be excellent, especially the two BBQ nights that there are, with a great breakfast as well. Most nights we would walk 15 minutes down the road to some great restuarants... I can recommend the Rib Shack and Plaka restaurants. Prices are about the same as in the UK, with staeks slightly cheaper.
I would recommend taking the bus into Paphos, very cheap and relaible, and air conditioned!! The mosaics are a great must to visit in the harbour area.

We also took the option of a two night cruise to Egypt with our tour provider, and this was well worth the money. We were in an armed convoy all the way to Cairo, and felt very safe; and our tour guide Hnay was excellent and warned us about the Egyptian sellers at the Pyramids. We had a lunch on the Nile, and visited Cairo Museum to see the mummies, etc. Brilliant! You must do this trip, the ship was also good and with excellent catering.

My only slight criticism of the Hotel was that the night time entertainment was pretty dire, but then I have found this to be the case in lots of Hotels. Just go out in the evening and eat out instead!

All in all, a really excellent visit and one we would do again.

A great holiday

by TripAdvisor Member pratt100

My boyfriend and I have returned from the hotel and had a fantastic time for the two weeks. The best part about it was the hotel pool and pool bar. The service in the hotel was excellent. Although the drinks were expensive in the hotel we were given £30 worth of money off vouchers which softened the blow a little. There was also a happy hour from 6-7 where drinks were half price. We were bed and breakfast although we didn't after a few attempts bother going down for breakfast as there was alot to offer but not to our tastes as we don't like greasy omelettes or cakes. On an evening we went to the local restaurants which were superb I can highly recommend the rib shack. All in all it was a great time and we would return.

Good Standards

by TripAdvisor Member Midfifties

Hey, this Hotel is good. The Constantinou Bros group obviously has good standards as the staff are well trained and give good service at all times. We rarely ventured outside the hotel complex as the weather was good throughout our stay. The pool is a decent size and without children in the hotel you can swim at your leisure. The grounds are well maintained and sun beds are usually freely available. We found that sitting in the garden area, shaded by palm trees, you had the option of both pool and sea. There is a lagoon created by a breakwater, which calms the sea in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. the beach is not that good but is the best around. The rooms are a good size and cleaned to a good standard. The food is good quality and the variety provides a decent selection.

The only downsides that I have are that the wine list is limited to Cypriot wines, which are okay but it would help to have some other EU wines at least. The entertainment in the evenings tends to peter out and there isn't a dance, not even on a Saturday night.

A different view

by TripAdvisor Member RABSREVIEWS

After having read other reviews regarding this hotel i was really expecting something special but only to be disappointed.
Our room was clean and tidy so no complaints there.However, what really annoyed me was the view or should i say lack of it.We paid extra for a seaview but it could really best be described as peripheral.We were on the left wing of the hotel with a tiny balcony which hardly had sufficient room for 2 people.One person, if they sat at the correct angle, had the only seaview while the other looked on to some other person,s balcony.Only those with rooms in the centre part of the hotel have true unimpeded views.
We went on a bed and breakfast basis.However, after 3 days of bland fare i.e.tinned fruit and not fresh we went to the restaurants further down the road where you can pick up a reasonable breakfast for around 2 to 3 Cypriot pounds.This also applied for our evening meal where we went to the likes of Plaka,Cavellinis,Oleastro, or The Rib Shack.All these places serve a good meal but are a bit expensive.However, if you are prepared to walk for another 10/15 mins towards the harbour where there are more restaurants and more price competitive.You can have a meal of similar quality at a cheaper price.
During our stay, i would say the average age of the hotel guests was between 60 and 75.I don,t know if this is the norm however, couple this with the ban on under sixteens and the whole atmosphere is a bit flat.
Alcohol in the hotel is extorionate apart from the happy hour betwwen 6 pm and 7.
The pool area and well appointed gardens along with very pleasant staff are the hotel,s best feature.
We would certainly return to Paphos but not to this hotel.Just one tip though regarding the timeshare touts, ignore them completely and the will leave you in peace but only to the next time.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member stevearrow

Just come back from the pioneer, a really great hotel, stayed half board. Very good selection of food, we stayed five years ago next door, the Paphian Bay which is also a Constantinou Bros hotel and as result got 10% discount off food&drink.
Several of our friends have also stayed at the Pioneer and all have given it glowing reports.
There is a dine-around arrangement whereby you can take your meals at any of the Constantinou hotels ie Paphian Bay, Pioneer, Athena Beach or Athena Royal.
If your into bowling there are great facilities at both the Pioneer and also the Athena/Athena Royal with Professional coaches.
We did a fabulous day trip to Egypt, only 55 minutes flying from Paphos airport, very long day but saw the Giza Pyramids and Sphinx, the Egyptian Museum, cruise on the Nile with 3 course meal and entertainment, belly dancer etc, lunch at 5 star hotel overlooking Pyramids, bazar and street market accompanied by a first class tour guide and armed guard.
Looking forward to an early return

Paphos sunsetPaphos sunset

The main walkway at the ocean frontThe main walkway at the ocean front

Loculi and carved altarsLoculi and carved altars

In Pafos portIn Pafos port

Wedding in Paphos

by josephine60

Could anyone please tell me how far it is from Pioneer Beach Hotel and Aegean Village go Preya (spelling not correct) town hall. Going for Daughter's wedding and would like to know beforehand how long it takes to get there and how much by taxi

Re: Wedding in Paphos

by leics

It is Peyia (or Pegeia), I believe, a village on the hillside above Coral Bay.

will give you an idea.

Not sure it has a town hall as such, but it's obviously a popular place for weddings organised by visitors from elsewhere.

The Pioneer Beach hotel is quite a long way from Pafos harbour area, at the southern end of Poseidonos Avenue (a sea-side road lined with many hotels). If you put 'pioneer beach hotel pafos' into google maps you'll see exactly where it is. From there to Peyia (use 'pegeia' when you search) is probably around 16-20km (say 9-12 miles).

I'd allow a good 40 minutes for this, because once you get outside Pafos itself (which can be congested at times) roads are not so good that they allow really fast driving. I can't give you any real idea of fares I'm afraid (never taken a taxi in Pafos), but I do suggest you pre-book the taxi the day before (the hotel will help).

Comments