1 Aphrodite Ave, Kouklia, Paphos, 8500, Cyprus

IHG Travelocity Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Get stress at Aphrodite hills resort hotel paphos

Open your eyes at InterContinental Aphrodite Hills hotel, Paphos in Cyprus as somebody will try always to cheat you…
    We had found in internet an "interesting" two night vacation called 2 –Day Christmas Eve in a Deluxe Room with Pool or Garden View package at the luxury InterContinental Aphrodite Hills hotel: a resort village 20 km from Paphos for 198 euro per person (that was the price mentioned on the website for that offer ) the offer was reserved to the local market.... (anyway we are from Nicosia).
    At the check in we were welcomed by reception and we expected to pay 198 euro x 3: totally 594 euro, we were three person.
    But, as a big surprise for us the receptionist asked us to pay 180 euro per person per each “NIGHT”…. totally 1080 euro. We were shocked from such unexpected proposal and we started to argue with receptionist girl called Anna. After about 20 min. of the argue and stress from our side, as we need to show and to explain what should be the right bill, the girl told us that she will check better in the reservation system, what she did and finally she apologized for the mistake done during the reservation time from other person. Then she asked us to pay 794 euro, 594 in advance for 3 persons for 2 days package and 200 euro in advance for the mini bar, in case we will take some drinks, it will be already paid. Ok, we accepted that. Then our two night short vacation started. During our stay we always felt uncomfortable, caused from the girls of reception, which were looking at us with a bit strange hostile looking…. Anyway we didn’t care so much about that and we tried to continue our “relaxing” short vacation… The sauna and the pool to be honest was nice, but too small. We expected more from a 5 star Aphrodite Hills hotel resort….
    On 25 morning we booked a Thai massage in the Aphrodite Hills Spa, my masseur to be honest was pressing so much on my body with her little and acuminate fingers that I couldn’t relax at all. My wife instead of me ,got a good masseur she was ok. The day after, our last day at 11:00 AM, we got a Swedish massage from the same Thai girls in the same Thai room with elephants on the wall, but this time I was lucky… my masseur was ok. My wife instead, was suffering so much from the massage of Thai girl that she wanted to run away before time , but she kept strong , shame to offend the “masseur”.
    At 12:30 on 26 of December , so called boxing day, we went to the last lunch included in the package, we arrived in the lunch room and the waiter, very kind one, showed us our sitting place “OUTSIDE” on the balcony on the temperature of about 17 grades, we were again shocked from the such proposal (it was sunshine outside, but really cold) and we started to argue with the waiter which told us that the lunch room was fully booked (the room was totally empty….). Then I start to scream on the waiter of Aphrodite Hills, who’s face was like a stone when he told us that he will ask to the boss, if he can solve “our problems”. After a few minutes they gave us a table in the lunch room. We were eating for almost 40 min, and in that time only a half room was occupied from clients.
    So we tried to enjoy the food, but the stress we have got from the time spent on the argue, inhibited that.
    Then, we finished our lunch and went away, but the waiter was running after us with the bill of 87 euro, in his hand pretending we should have paid the bill of that lunch. But I have to spent my time to explain that the lunch was included in the package, then, the stone face waiter immediately apologize for the mistake and charged us only the drink, 6 euros.
    After the nice lunch, we went to pack ready to pay the rest and go finally away from that place. But something in my mind told me that probably something else will follow again……
    And it was….
    At the reception a girl called Veronica (polish one probably ) tried to charge us again 180 euro per person per every night, totally 1080 euro instead of 594, plus of course 6 spa treatments done during our stay . My patience level went down, it was the last drop I start to scream to the girl… in the same moment I could hear a couple on my left hand side, arguing with another receptionist for the same problem, they try to overcharge their bill as they were doing for us. After 30 min. of the stress at the Aphrodite Hills reception desk, I had to go back to the room to collect all the invoices which we got at our arrival, while checking in to show them again our right and to proof their mistake done at the reservation. Then, before I could show the document printed at arrival, Veronica finally spoke to her Manager, which was right there, arguing with other couple for the bill, and she had confirmed that we were correct and then with a big face of stone apologized for the mistake which was done from other people at the reservation, trying to convince us that she “was not guilty” at all for that.
    Finally we had paid what we have to pay and went away with a ruined feeling of Christmas 2008. Thanks to the crock management of intercontinental Aphrodite Hills hotel in Paphos….

Stay alive at the intercontinental Aphrodite Hills hotel in Paphos!

Unique Quality: food

More about InterContinental Aphrodite Hills Resort

This is a truly great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member GaryEssex

This hotel is truly wonderful. There realy is nothing that we could find fault with.

The staff are very freindly, courtious and helpful, nothing was a problem.

The room was lovely, spacious and well maintained.

The pool area was superb with plenty of room and a lovely pool.

We took a couple of trips out to the beach club on the free mini bus, it was very relaxing, quiet and enjoyable.

The Spa is also well worth a visit. Again lovely staff, lovely location, very enjoyable and relaxing.

The food was superb, the breakfasts had a huge selection. The evening buffets were plentiful and varied.

We had a fabulous time at this hotel, it is quite hard to put into words just how beautiful and perfect this place is. We would have no hesitation in recomending the Aphrodite Hills Hotel.

10 star Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Petemarkou

I stayed for two nights in this Hotel. It is very close to "Petra tou Romiou" or aphrodite's birthplace. It is in a resort area that includes golf course, tennis courts, spa and several reastaurants. The room was super luxurious, spacious and clean. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels worldwide but this one ranks as one of the top. The food in the reastaurant was also excellent for the price of 52 pounds for two. Since I play tennis I received some group lessons for 15 pounds per hour. Excellent coaching staff. The swimming pools were great including a small covered one for kids. The overall experience was fantastic and I will definately return next year if they have the same special price. If you want to eat outside the hotel you will have to have a car since there are no reastaurants close by. We drove to a reastaurant which is close to the beach club ot the hotel and eat fresh fish for 12 pounds total.

Superb

by TripAdvisor Member ricardo3rd

Stayed 10 days in June 2006. Bit of a drive from Limassol but nice & quiet. We were given an upgrade, a lux apartment with its own pool. The bedroom was large and the bathroom as big as a normal hotel room. The whole operation was first class and the multi racial staff could'nt do enough. We have never been looked after so well in our 40 years of travel. PS. The evening theme night buffets had too much food, but get there early for the hot food. About £20 CY per person for dinner inc. wine & drinks. Would return just for the attention.

A mess up with the room bookings

by TripAdvisor Member FirstClassTraveller

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights over the Greek Easter Weekend in April, hence the hotel was full.

Although we had reserved a club suite with private pool, this had been sold to someone else and we were put in an Executive club room.

The hotel did move us the next day to a suite without pool and supplied all dinks free of charge (including champagne). They also hired a car for us at their expense so they did go some way towards redeeming themselves.

The actual hotel is great and the food in the restaurants is of very good quality. I would give them another go.

Could be lots better

by TripAdvisor Member Wolsters

This has the potential makings of a really good hotel however during our stay the levels of service were well short of 5 star. We have stayed in a number of Far East and Dubai hotels over the last 18 months so were looking for a deluxe/5 star hotel but closer to the UK, with good weather for the time of year.

The hotel itself is high quality and clearly a lot of money has been spent on it. The rooms arent overly big but are high quality and well finished. Public areas are very good with lots of space.

Hotel is very easy to get to (20 mins form Airport) but a bit too far out to making going to Paphos a nightly trip out, so you are reliant on the hotel for eating in the evening.

Golf course and sports facilities are good without being memorable.

We spent the extra for a Club room which gives access to a private lounge with complimentary drinks and snacks available during much of the day.

The resort is a bit isolated and whilst there is a nearby restautant area on the resort outside the main hotel, this was a bit soulless and most of the shop units were empty. This hotel looks like it is trying to be the next La Manga but is some way off.

The hotel really needs to look at its service levels as in most areas these were below average for a hotel of this grade. The Club lounge was understaffed at all times and very often guests had to serve themselves drinks and open wine bottles otherwise you could be waiting forever. Snack trays were often empty. Staff appeared to be under orders to avoid serving champagne and actually took it out of the fridges when people started drinking it !!

Breakfast was very limited in the Club lounge and service frankly poor and slow. We ended up using the main restaurant for breakfast which defeats the object of paying extra. Main breakfast area was pretty good in terms of choice although again short of staff.

Hotel restaurants were ok (mainly Buffets which I dont like) except for the Asian Fusion restaurant which was very good in terms of quality/service - the other parts of the hotel would learn a great deal from this restaurant as to what a 5 star hotel is about.

Lots of small niggles around the pool area:

No pool service / proper waiter service other than going to a main bar - not really 5 star in my view
Uncomfortable loungers - no cushions
Very repetitive music - the same songs all day every day !!

Overall - would I stay again ? Probably yes at the right price but dont expect a real 5 star experience. Hotel could be really good but until service gets sorted I would say its a good 4 star lacking the extra touches and quality of service of a deluxe hotel. Inter Continental should be able to do better than this

The Club lounge is really missing the mark - other than the complimentary drinks it doesnt offer much extra, particularly on breakfasts or service

A Huge Dissapointment

by TripAdvisor Member MRSSTEVIEB

We were very disappointed with this hotel, we had heard so many good thigs about it and the place looked and sounded amazing on the website, however we had a few problems...

The hotel arranged our airport transfers, and dispite knowing our arrival time still did not have a room ready. We waited nearly an hour, which was unacceptable as the place was no where near full.

The receptionist that eventually took us to our room did not explain anything about the air con, restaurant times, how to use tv, telephone, safe etc the basic things you expect to be informed of when you arrive.

Our shower was broken and was not fixed for 3 days, I had to tell reception twice of the fault.

The drain in the shower smelt, if you were the first in the shower you had to endure the pong until the shower gels and shampoos overcame the stench.

Our safe malfunctioned causing our valuables to be locked in until someone could come and repair it.

Concierge was appaling. We asked if they could recommend any nice restaurants nearby or recommend any villages worth a visit, the guy shrugged his shoulders and replied 'I don't know, try asking a taxi driver' which was no good to us as we had hired a car! And what is concierge there for anyway?

The prices were extautionate, a glass of coke round the pool was £3.50 (Stirling) just for a glass mainly filled with ice!

Many of the sporting activites advertised were cancelled i.e 5 a side football, tennis and basket ball - all of which we signed up for only to turn up and find nobody there!

The village restaurants were only open on certain days, the coffee shop/ ice cream parlour was never open. The service in the sports bar was again appalling, we waited half an hour just for our drinks and another hour for our food. Had we had our car hire we would have walked out.

The hotel has amazing potential, the rooms are lovely very clean and comfortable, the pool is beautiful, breakfast is amazing, so much to choose from gained half a stone from breakfast alone.

The location is out in the sticks - very close to aphrodites rock, you will need a car hire.

I would recommend if your are minted (lucky devil) and can afford the resturant and bar prices, and if you are into golf/ spa. Would be ideal for loaded golf loving/ spa pampered couples.

Avoid if you are a skint travel agent!

A wonderful place for getting away from it all

by TripAdvisor Member PoppyTT

We wanted a quick week away so we could simply unwind and relax in elegant surroundings. This hotel was perfect for just that.

I wrote to the hotel explaining that our anniversary was during our stay with them and on check in, we were told that we had been up graded to a sea view room. Fabulous!! The room was close to the pool, view of the golf course, the sea, sunsets all which could be enjoyed from the balcony and two windows. To our surprise as we unpacked, a bottle of champagne was delivered to our room with a card from the hotel to congratulate us on our anniversary!!

The room was spacious with a very comfortable bed and all the amenities that you expect from a five star. There was fruit and wine in the room on arrival. The most novel thing was the little bag of organic lavender on our pillows every night.

The pool area was large and split levelled which gave plenty of sunbathing area.It was quiet when we went in early september but still watermelon was offered as we relaxed by the pool.

There is a spa, golf and tennis which also comes highly recommended.

The only thing that lets hotel down slightly is the food. We were there on a half board basis which equated to £20 per person at any of the restaurants if you did not want to eat at the main restaurant. Every evening they did a buffet of food from various cuisines. I am not a fan of buffets any way but the food was quite tasteless. The Leander was my favourite and the service amazing. Be warned that not all restaurants are open every night and some you must book in advance.

The drinks etc are not the cheapest but then it is a five star hotel. There is a well stocked shop in the village (3 mins walk away with great sea views) if you need provisions.

Overall it is a well positioned hotel, with amenities to suit many and elegant accommodation. Incidently on the plane on the way home we were given a newspaper which had a double page 'rave' about the hotel!!!

A fabulous hotel

by TripAdvisor Member V_Glasgow

The hotel is fantastic!

The rooms although not overly large were beautifully furnished. The bathroom we had was huge with a massive walk-in shower.

We had a sea view room which also overlooked the golf course., and I would recommed this as it was stunning.

The staff were all very polite and courteous and I could not fault the service at all. The bar prices are not cheap, but you know to expect this of a five-star hotel and the service and nibbles served with it make up for it (also the views from the Sunset Bar).

Paphos is only a 15 minute drive and there are plenty of restuarants. We ate in the Italian restauarant in the village square and in the Eleonas restaurant, which was a buffet. My only comment would be the food at the buffet was nearly cold which was not ideal.

Overall, we had a fantastic time and I would highly recommend the hot stone massage in the Spa and a trip to the amazing Beach Club.

Superb service

by TripAdvisor Member Andrew-Greig

We stayed at the hotel in September for one week. We had booked a club room and were not disappointed. The buggie takes you to the club lounge to check in where you are given a glass of champagne whilst the staff check you in. The room was large, clean, well decorated and overlooked the sea and golf course.

The club lounge is a nice treat and the staff are wonderful. However, the only real benefit is that you can have a free breakfast there and complimentary alcoholic drinks there from 6-8 in the evening. You can use it for soft drinks and snacks during the day but most people are not too bothered.

We only ate in the hotel once as we found it generally too expensive, but went to the restaurants that are in the complex 'village' a few minutes walk away.

I had a round of golf at an all inclusive cost of £54 cyp (shoes, clubs and buggy) but when i asked to take the wife as a driver that was an extra £10 and she had to wear a shirt with a collar. I found this disappointing as most European golf courses dont hold with the UK formal etiquette. Anyway, it is a nice course and it is obligatory to use a buggy on the front 9 as it is just too far to walk. The seventh is a spectacular hole.

The spa is very nice and extremely relaxing, but it is expensive. We had a treatment each and the thermae experience at a cost of £165 Cyp.

The hotel has two small beach resorts which have complimentary buses running to them during the day. They provide the loungers, towels and water. Nice touch.

Overall this hotel is almost perfect, what would be good if the village was livelier ,and if they had a shuttle bus running daily into Paphos (currently only two days per week). The service is excellent and we would definitely return.

golf in cyprus

by funkychunkypartymonk

HI ALL

does any one no of any golf courses in paphos or around the area?
also do any have clubs for hire cos i dont really fancy packing mine into a case!!!!

thanks for any help

dan.

RE: golf in cyprus

by atw26

Yes, there are three to choose from:
http://www.cyprusgolf.com for Tsada Golf Course and Secret Valley Golf Course
http://www.aphroditeleisure.com/thecourse.htm for Aphrodite Hills

They all seem to do club rental. Again, you might check the CyprusLiving (groups.msn.com/CYPRUSLIVING) for posts on quality of the golf courses. I believe it may have come up in the past.

RE: golf in cyprus

by jennycee

Hi Dan,
My husband played a game of golf at the Secret Valley Golf Club, it is on the road between Larnaca and Limassol and really hidden away in a valley and you will wonder if you will ever reach! The surroundings are beautiful. Yes, you can hire golf clubs. Hapy golfing===Jean

Comments