Pentadaktylou St, Kato Paphos, Paphos, 8103, Cyprus

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Excellent value apartments in Paphos

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Louis King Jason Hotel & Apartments in Paphos for 7 nights in November 2009.

We booked the accommodation as a package, along with our easyJet flights from the UK, and paid a little under £300 in total for the flights and a week's stay on a "room only" basis.

Expect to pay considerably more during the busier summer months.

Location

The Louis King Jason Apartments are located on Pentadaktylou Street, between the lower area of Kato Paphos and the town centre at the top of the hill.

The apartments are located on a residential street just off the main Tombs of the Kings Avenue; a busy dual carriageway which leads, after a few kilometers, to the famous tombs. Despite its proximity to this busy road, we were never disturbed by traffic noise during the night.

A 5-10 minute walk brings you to the touristy areas of Kato Paphos, such as the restaurants and nightlife of "Bar Street" and a number of mini markets, and a further 5-10 minute walk brings you to the seafront and the harbour. A similar length walk in the opposite direction, uphill, brings you to Paphos town centre which is less geared towards tourists but contains a number of shops, eating places and public transport options.

We booked a transfer from Paphos airport to the apartments through A & G Neophytou Rent a Car (website: www.agrentacar.com / email: rentals@agrentacar.com) at a cost of 27 Euros. Our research suggested that their rates were competitive and their service was reliable. This proved to be the case. Furthermore, their office is conveniently located just a few metres from the Louis King Jason Apartments, so we went in a few days before we were due to leave to book our return transfer to the airport.

Bedroom

Our apartment was furnished to a high standard and was well maintained and cleaned throughout our stay.

Although we ate out each evening, the apartment was ideal for anybody wishing to self cater; it contained a cooker with hobs, a microwave, a toaster, a fridge, a sink, a kettle and various cutlery, crockery and cooking utensils. There was also a dining table and four chairs.

There were two single beds pushed together, a sofa, a TV, a writing desk, bedside cabinets, a wooden storage trunk and plenty of wardrobe space. The room was large and airy and I imagine you would really appreciate the air-conditioning in the hot summer months. In November, the nights were fairly cool and the room was a comfortable temperature without the need for either air-conditioning or heating.

Our small balcony contained a table and a couple of chairs, but not much of a view. We were on the ground floor and had a view of the outdoor dining area, partially obscured by trees. Some rooms have balconies that overlook the pool area.

The bathroom was of an adequate size; larger than some hotel bathrooms I've experienced but by no means spacious. It contained a shower over a bathtub with a pull around shower curtain. Fresh towels and toiletries were provided throughout our stay and the maids cleaned the bathroom regularly.

General

The hotel has a reasonable sized and odd-shaped swimming pool (not ideal for serious swimmers, but fine for splashing around in!) with a surrounding sunbathing area and a raised wooden boarded sun deck. Amongst the standard sun loungers and parasols were some more luxurious sun beds; large wooden four poster beds with mattresses and cushions. In November the pool area was quiet and we were able to take our pick of the sun beds, but I would imagine there are many early morning battles for the prime sun beds in the busier summer months!

The food on offer at the hotel always looked tasty and well presented as we walked through the dining area in the mornings and on our way out in the evenings. We would have been happy to eat in the hotel at least once during our stay, but it was not possible to book for just one night. Instead, we would have had to pay for a package of meals. If memory serves correct, the minimum we could have booked was 3 nights worth of meals.

My overriding memory of the hotel and one that I will remember for many years is the following: our stay at Louis King Jason coincided with my 30th birthday. My girlfriend had taken along a handful of balloons and banners with which she decorated our room. One day, we returned to our room to find a complimentary bottle of champagne and a birthday card signed by the manager. This was a wonderful gesture and typified the general customer-friendly approach of the hotel's staff. We also received a gift upon arrival at the hotel (a jar of jam and some local sweets if memory serves correct).

We really enjoyed our week's stay at Louis King Jason. In November it proved to be a quiet retreat with plenty of space around the pool to soak up a few rays of warm winter sunshine and cool off in the pool. I imagine it would be much busier and livelier in the summer months.

Great value hotel apartments with a pleasant pool and sun terrace. An ideal location for exploring the sights of Paphos. Highly recommended!!

• Good self catering

Stayed two weeks on self catering basis - enjoyed ourselves and would stay here again - room service was scheduled for every third day so we bought sponge and cleaner to keep our room sparkling - swept up daily to deny the ants their meal of the crumbs...

2 adults and 1 child - room was a good size - kitchen was reasonably well fitted - we did not cook but brought in meals - cooked meats / cheeses / breads / salads /

Hotel has resident selection of highly intelligent cats who can recognise "self caterers" and follow along for snacks .. slight whiff on cat pee on the breeze now and then

A hire car makes the stay more comfortable as the hotel is a good walk from the facilities but this in turn makes for a quieter location away from the bars and general tourist 'ambiance'

Our stay was in December 2009 and we found Cyprus prices generally HIGH - due to the poor UK / Euro exchange rate - wish I had taken sterling with me as the local advertised exchange rate was .05/.06 better than I got from UK Post office

Unique Quality: Great pool plus small indoor pool - games area which costs 1 euro per game

Several local car hire firms if you want short term hire - as we were 3 pax I hired at airport and avoided the hotel transfer fee

Directions: A little hard to find but is located near to the big modern church and off Tomb of the Kings road

• Brenmeryl's Profile Photo

Good accomodation

The King Jason is only a 10-15 minute walk from Bar street & is in a quiet residential area. The rooms are both immaculate & spacious & the pool area had the most comfortable padded loungers that we had ever encountered; great for sleeping off a hangover! You get little presents from the management but watch out for the carafe of red wine it was pretty much undrinkable. But the ouzo & honey were very nice.The staff were very helpful & friendly & the breakfast buffet good value.
    We drank mostly in the Red Lion bar (on Bar Street), the hosts Karen & Paul were great company & they had a great choice of beers & spirits, good large TVs for sporting events but without the yob element & immaculate GROUND floor toilets...unusual for Paphos. The food in most places was plentiful & good value. Hire a car & go up to Polis for the day...only takes about an hour...central square there very quaint. Also the small village of Tala 10 mins away from Paphos had some nice tavernas. Hope you have a great holday

Unique Quality: Fantastic loungers.

More about Louis King Jason

wonderful service

by TripAdvisor Member familymember

I have stayed at many 4 star hotels/apartments all over europe and you will not get better service than you do at this hotel. All the staff are very friendly and could not do more to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. The apartments are very well looked after.
Buffet breakfast is wonderful. Lots of excellent restaurants in Paphos - we found that the ones that were recommended in the lonely planet guidebook to be the best. There is a lot to see in the paphos area.Plenty of historical sites. It's well worth hiring a car. We found it to be much cheaper to book one from england.

I have visited this hotel on two occasions and will definitely return.

Ignore the 1 posting!

by TripAdvisor Member gary4463

We have just returned from the King Jason after our first visit. What a place and what a group of people/staff that work there. The staff are a credit to the complex and cannot do enough for you. The pool area of the King Jason is amazing as is the restaurant. We stayed on a half board basis and the food was absolutely fantastic. This is definitely a complex we would recommend 100%. Yes, the a/c is a bit noisy, but it can be turned off in September, which we did. Overall, a fantastic holiday in Paphos and we will be returning (probably tto The King Jason )

Lovely place!!

by TripAdvisor Member tidgypants

We booked our holiday last minute so as you can imagine we were a little nervous. But i have to say that the King Jason was a fantastic place, a really relaxing holiday, the staff were lovely and very helpful, the apartments were equipped with everything you need and they were clean!! We stayed on a self-catering basis, we did eat in the resterant one night and the food was lovely and fresh, so for the extra Few quid i wish we had gone half board.
I agree the location is not perfect but once inside the hotel who cares what outside is like!!?? Get a Taxi!!
The backround music is a little naff and if you want entertiament on site then this is not the place for you, although the kids club was great for the kids, there was also a free cocktail evening and afternoon tea. yummy homemade cakes.
Yes there are quite a few cats roaming around, but they were all quite friendly, so if you dont mind cats then i dont see a problem.
The sunbeds and seating area's were very comfy, but please dont bother to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve a bed there really is no need, very annoying as the owners of the towels sometimes didn't arrive until late afternoon.
Overall a lovely place, would definately go again and wouldnt hesitate recommending, unless of course you HATE cats!!!

lovely complex

by TripAdvisor Member lmolly

We were very impressed with the King Jason complex. Very clean, lovely bar/eating area and friendly staff. The bar area at night was nice, all candlelit with relaxing music. We went with our 2yr old and she loved the small pool that is full of inflatables for everyones use. There is a small park on site also.

The hotel is situated in the middle of the old town and kato paphos/the harbour. We know because we walked to both. Its nice because its really quiet at night, away from the music and action. It only took 10mins to walk to the main area in kato paphos - there is a dual carraigeway to cross but it isn't dangerous or busy, there is a pelican crossing!

We found Paphos really good. There were some lovely restaurants. Our favourites were GRAZIE, DAPHNE BISTRO and RISTO LA PIAZZA all towards the harbour. We were amazed at how cheap it was to eat such good quality.

This hotel was reccommended by a friend and we were glad that we stayed here. We would certainly reccommend it to others.

Is it me?

by TripAdvisor Member swrxp47

Like many others we booked this holiday last minute after seeing a 2 for 1 offer in the newspaper. My only consolation is that we did not pay the full price. I have to say that the apartments are well kitted out making no need to take hair-dryers, irons etc. I cannot understand why people travel this distance to stay on a distinctly average complex. The pool is far too small for the number of people staying at the site. There is a polite notice in the bedrooms not too reserve sun beds as towels will be removed. By 7.30am most sunbeds were "reserved". Who is this Andreas I keep reading about? I never spoke to or saw a manager all the time I was there. There is no atmosphere at all although In it's favour it is very quiet at night. A short walk takes you to Kato Paphos where if you like Sky Sports or like to drink Watneys Red Barrel at the Rose and Crown then this is the place for you. It is everything that is bad regarding British orientated resorts. Hooray, there is even a Debenhams and a Next to do some shopping in. The best part of the holiday was hiring a car and driving up to the North West where there are actual Cypriots and some decent restaurants. Oh, and while I think of it when you see a beach on a map with a name Coral Bay don't you draw a mental picture of clear blue waters lapping white sands? Reality is deisel polluted waters with carriers bags washing up on unpleasant sort of gravel stuff! I can see why some people love this place. Unfortunlatley it is not because they love the Cypriot culture but because they feel it is home from home.

King Jason OK, Paphos Harbour OK, Paphos Oh Dear

by TripAdvisor Member Viduka

Having stayed at the King Jason for two weeks this October and having used this forum to influence my decision to stay there. I would add the following comments.

We changed rooms after the first two days mainly because of the noise from the nearby dual carriageway and the adjacent building site. Also the room itself had a number of minor failings including faulty lights / remote control, broken door mirror and an ant infestation.

On the upside we were given another room immediately when requested and without any fuss. The new room was quieter but didn't have a pool view.

I would agree with some of the negative comments already placed the swimming pool is too small for the number of guests, there is noticeable noise from the dual carriageway and the surrounding neighbourhood isn't exactly a scenic backdrop.

However the hotel itself is clean the rooms are a good size and well equipped and the service is usually good.

Having tried them I wouldn't recommend the breakfasts.

Paphos itself is a big built up resort, with a lot of areas still being developed. The young male locals do have a tendency to create as much noise as possible with their cars and if I had to chose another Cyprus holiday I wouldn't choose Paphos.

Will be going back for sure!!!

by TripAdvisor Member alexriccardi

Other reviews may say that this hotel is to far out of the way - i disagree!! yes it is a 15 minute walk to the harbour (furthest point) but that means that even though you are within walking distance you are certainly away from the hustle and bustle. I would however advise that if you go for a walk on your first day - take a map we thought we went in a straight line and ended up lost for 2 hours!!
The hotel is spotless and very well presented. the small gifts left in your room (which are light and airy) are a pleasent suprise and the Manager and staff are the most helpful i have come across (i only mentioned in passing to that manager that the iron wasnt very good and by the time i got back up to my room there was a new one waiting for me).
Would not recommend for beach holiday

Relax in style

by TripAdvisor Member the-blackisler

Had a one week stay at this hotel. Found to be very friendly and staff smiled to everyone as they passed by. Having gone self catering, the apartment had all mod cons and was very roomy. There is an apartment block going up alongside at this time but this was not a problem. The hotel is situated about 10-15 mins walk from the seafront which has now a large supermarket recently opened. Would definitely go here again.

self catering accomodation

by johntirrell

Hi I'd like to travel from Boston to Cyprus In Jan 2011 for 3 month. Any hints as to travel and short time accomodation. What's the weather like?, what's the best area to be in? What's the cost of food and travel within. I am choosing between Andalusia or Cryprus what is you advice, all information welcome.
Thanks for the advice. Johnny

Re: self catering accomodation

by MikeM2

I like the Louis King Jason apartments in Paphos - ideal for self-catering
weather pleasant but cool - they have a small indoor pool

Google the venue and see if it would suit - if you like it and want more info send me a pm

There are no restaurants there like Durgin-Park !!

Re: self catering accomodation

by greekcypriot

Hi,
You have plenty of time to choose a good catering accomodation.
While on the island we spent a week at Michaels' Beach Hotel in Larnaca, Dekelia road. There were both apartments and studios and the beach wonderful.
I recommend that you spend at least 5 days in Larnaca before moving on to other cities. There are buses outside the hotel that can take you to Larnaca, and buses that from the hotel you can visit Protaras or Ayia Napa with paradise-like beaches. Have a look on an entry about Ayia Napa I had yesterday.

There is a supermarket about 100 metres from the hotel apartments, and a minimarket inside the hotel....but we never gone there because it was a bit expensive. Check it out.

Comments