2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Neo Chorio/Baths of Aphrodite Road, P.O. Box 66067, Polis, 8830, Cyprus

Booking.com Priceline.com

Costs 384% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

Genuine Cypriot Hospitality -Ranks #1 in Latchi

Where to start! This family hotel is basic but clean and comfortable….simply amazing! I keep coming back like most of its repeaters and I keep telling friends and anyone who asks me to recommend a nice family hotel in the region of Paphos that this is by far the Top Family Hotel out here. It can easily compete a 4* hotel with the only exception that it does not have a swimming pool, but in reality it does not need one at all. You see, the sea here is so beautiful that I am sure nobody would be interested to be around any pool no matter what size it would have! From the moment I arrive till I leave I am treated like part of the family, but this is the feeling that all guests have. I cannot fault anything about this place and I have had the most amazing time once again. In fact I was sad to leave after the 4 nights I spent here.

REPEATERS: Tourists return to the same hotel only if there is a reason. They should be totally satisfied and the stay memorable. Well, this is absolutely a fact here. I was not at all surprised seeing that the hotel received TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellency again this year! 35-40% of guests are repeaters not to mention those who return two or three times a year -and these are many.

LOCATION: The location is superb, a couple of km west of Latchi in one of the most secluded and well-preserved natural corners of the island, a quiet spot away from crowded beaches, nightlife and traffic. It is only one km from the Baths of Aphrodite and the herbal garden with stunning views.
    The Akama path is only a few metres from the hotel so it is a starting point for those who want to walk this trail which is popular the year round especially after March and April. There is one restaurant a few steps from the hotel, but personally I never felt that I should leave the premises to go and eat out there or somewhere else outside. The other reason that makes it special is that there is a bus stop right outside the hotel taking you to Latchi and Polis and from there to Paphos and to any of the villages around for very little. The fee this year is €1.50 single way and buses are reliable and have a fixed timetable. I use them extensively and this is mostly how I move around Cyprus each time I fly there.

MANAGEMENT/STAFF: The soul and heart of the business is Grigoria who is the owner. She is professional and treats her guests with respect, discreet and kindness. Alert and always positive and eager to meet every demand that comes up while guests enjoy high standards of customer service. She can be seen all over the same time as if she is flying and her positive mood is passed on to her guests. She makes a conscious effort to ensure her guests’ holidays are perfect and she is always with a smile no matter how stressed or tired she might be. There is always a good word coming from her -the embodiment of positive energy and kindness.

The new Chef, Alexandros and the Supervisor and waiter at the same time of the restaurant and bar –Ivan, are both professionals, experienced, attentive but also hard working. Their commitment to excellent service contributes a lot in making this hotel stand out. Ivan is so attentive, friendly and discreet and knows well what a guest expects from him. There is no way he can pass unnoticed! On the whole, the staff and management go out of their way to attend to every detail.

ROOM/BATHROOM: Impeccably clean, my room again overlooked the back side road with the villas and each morning I would get up early to watch the beautiful sunrise. It is nice and quiet out here away from traffic and noise so guests can enjoy the beauty of the open countryside. Spacious, airy, functional, and spotlessly clean with double glazed windows and relatively modern fixtures and fittings. There is plenty of space beneath the big wardrobe to keep luggage or handbags out of the way. **Have in mind that there is a small charge in case somebody needs a small refrigerator, a dryer or coffee/tea facilities in the room which I find fair enough. Although TV sets are the old style, there are several satellite channels to choose from.
    Bathrooms are spacious but take along your own toiletries -shampoo/bath lotion/body cream. Small bars of soap are provided only.
    2 plastic chairs, a rotunda table and a clothes-horse to dry towels and bathing suits are the facilities provided at the balcony.

BREAKFAST: For a hotel in this category there is a wide range of choices for breakfast where guests can enjoy exclusively local, fresh and organic products encompassing a variety of seasonal fruit. Many of these products come from the owner’s orchard and instantly you can tell the difference of taste and quality. There are 2 or 3 kinds of yoghurt, several choices cereal, different kinds of bread, scrambled and hardboiled eggs, fruit juices, cheese and halloumi –the Cypriot cheese, cakes and dessert, hot beverages, local olives and cold cuts as well as fresh vegetables which are enough to fill you up till dinner. I only wonder what more could one want! Guests can enjoy all these out in the beautiful open terrace that smells jasmine and herbs from the beautiful garden. Imagine enjoying your meal out here with the stunning view and the sounds of the water lapping against the shore with fishing boats passing by in a distance!

DINNER: The food alone makes it worthwhile to visit! Dinner was a nice surprise each night –personally I skip lunch. Varied dishes, different each night ideal for Meat/ Seafood lovers and also Vegetarians. Each single dish nicely presented by the experienced and professional new Chef of the hotel, Alexandros who pays attention to quality and taste he told me when I asked to meet him and congratulate him on his dishes. There is always plenty to cover the demand of every guest, starting with a different soup each night, (minestrone, mushroom, vegetable, chicken soup etc. Cypriot and Mediterranean popular dishes, seasonal fruit, dessert, home or bottled wine coming from popular Cypriot wineries and in all, enough to cover the needs of a demanding guest.

WI FI: Free in all public areas –not available in the rooms though!

BEACH: A pebbled beach quite deep from the first steps, clear and crystal waters with no currents to drag you in. It is not the best for very small kids though and the little ones coming here should be well attended by their parents. For adults however it is a Unique Beach, one of the best on the island. It is amazing how many colorful pebbles you can pick if you decide to have a walk along the coast.
    **One negative though which by the way happens to be the only con I found, is that the restaurant which belongs to the owner’s brother takes advantage of the beach umbrellas and sunbeds so if you decide to hire a deck-chair and un umbrella it will cost you €5 daily for both. Of course I believe people who get to the restaurant for lunch or dinner at least might have them for free (probably) but I never felt that I would leave the amazing cuisine of the hotel to eat anywhere outside! So, imagine if you spend 10 nights here what you have to pay if you wish to enjoy these facilities daily! The management of the hotel however plans to upgrade the hotel this coming season and create a nice blue-grass area and expand the garden thus making it an ideal relaxing spot for its occupants who deserve this facility for sure! The majority of the hotel’s residents prefer to save this money and spend it somewhere else so you will find them sitting on the sand on towels away from these beach facilities and it is indeed so unfair for all.

CONFERENCE ROOM: It can fit up to 50 persons in all and is ideal for meetings, seminars or can be used as workshops. I have seen the conference room busy a couple of times during previous stays.

CHILDREN FACILITIES: Besides the playground, parents can count on special children’s meals, high chairs, even baby seating is also possible.

BAR AND LOUNGE: Spotless, bright and airy. A selection of spirits, wines and cocktails are available by the bar opposite the reception. The Billiard table for older children and adults is quite popular here. Magazines and novels mostly German though can be found on the shelves on the side of the reception desk. Comfortable bamboo seats decorate the lounge which gets busy especially after dinner when guests gather to check emails, chat, have a drink or just unwind.

SUMMARIZING: In all the 4 night stay totally met my expectations and I cannot wait to be back. I highly recommend this family friendly hotel for all the above reasons. A massive thank to the staff and management who helped make the first four nights of my stay in Cyprus a memorable stay.*

Unique Quality: There might be other more beautiful hotels out here but I keep coming back to the same hotel for years and I don't intend to go to another one since it exceeds my expectations by far!*

Authentic Cypriot Hospitality, Excellent Cuisine,

I am so happy to be back to this beautiful family hotel as the people who run it make every single guest feel like at home. This is exactly how I feel and although I am travelling alone it is as if I have company all the time and it feels good. I feel them like family and I don’t exaggerate. I can write endlessly about this spot here describing the place, the family, the wonderful and amazing cuisine of Anastasi, the stunning view, the people who keep coming back, and the amazing crystal beach.

I shared the happiness of Gregoria the owner when she announced to me that the hotel has received an award of excellence from TripAdvisor recently and this made me go back and visit them again. I spent four wonderful days here, and I was given an apartment on the 1st building and first floor overlooking the sunrise this time.
    The beds are much more comfortable than the previous time and have lovely quilts matching with the curtains. I asked for an ice box to keep my water and some fruit cool for 3.50 euros a day. The room is spotlessly clean and at the balcony there is a place to hang the wet clothes. Although accommodation for many can be considered basic, -for me is normal and it is exactly what you need, yet I had even some flowers in a glass that the ladies who are cleaning put for me on the dressing table. It was a nice treat!
    Somebody who wishes to hire a safety deposit box can do it, but I never use it no matter where I am. I usually don’t carry much cash on me and I prefer to lock everything in my suitcase instead. I never carry jewels or have expensive clothing with me. I always advise travellers on my Guides to carry simple and light things, clothes that don’t need ironing and many times I wash clothes and refresh them when I am out travelling.

The hotel’s location is ideal, just a few Kms from Latchi. There is a bus passing by every half an hour a few metres from the hotel that takes you to Aphrodite Baths, but it is within walking distance and it is a pleasant walk. I walked there myself the previous time I was here. The same bus can take you to Latchi # 622. Bus # 645 runs all the way from Paphos to Polis and buses are very popular with tourists in the area. From Larnaca using the InterCity bus for 3 euros I came to Limassol. I stepped off at the New Port where the Main central station of these buses is and I got the bus for Paphos with 3 more euros that dropped me off at the main station (Karavella). With only one euro I got the bus for Polis, and another euro from Polis to Latchi. The whole trip from one end of Cyprus to the other cost me 8 euros and I was there in less than 3 hours!

There are people who come here to swim and drop by because of Anastasi’s nice cuisine. I met a couple of these people and they told me that they drop by every now and then because they know that Anastasi’s dishes are excellent. Most of the products are picked from the family orchards and they are fresh and tasty. For non residents the freshly cut salad would cost between 6 to 8.50 euros and if accompanied by grilled steak or burger can reach up to 16 euros. A cooked dish costs 12 euros and a glass of wine is at 2.50. A bottle of beer (big) 3.50, and the small one costs 2.50 euros. Everything served is seasonal and fresh and there is no way you will be disappointed.

Of course residents of the hotel can enjoy a rich buffet and I was truly amazed with the quality and variety each night. One night there was (barbouni) cooked in the oven –the red mullet and it was unbelievably delicious and nicely presented. For me the presentation counts as well and Anastasi is a good chef. Another day the buffet included (souvla) meat on the spit, again tasty and nicely presented. There is a variety of salads and local dips to choose from, fresh fruit from the orchards. The pumpkin and celery soups are excellent…don’t miss tasting them! Ask for Anastasi’s baklava. It is unbeatable!
    (Baklava is pastry in syrup with almond and cinnamon).

Breakfast includes Cerials, Coffee and Tea, Cypriot halloumi, ham, cheese, boiled and fried eggs, omelette, wonderful green and black olives (tsakistes) grilled and fesh tomatoes, cucumber, home-made bread different jams and marmalades, honey and seasonal fruit. There is always a home-made cake each day. (I loved the bitter lemon/orange)

There are times when as you sit out at the porch you feel as if the Rock of Aphrodite has moved nearer. And oh yes….You cannot miss the beautiful sunsets from out there. Argyroula, the youngest little charming girl of the family would cover all lamp posts around with cloth when it gets darker, and this creates a lovely romantic atmosphere that everyone enjoys. Besides, it is a nice way to keep away from the light all those nits and insects that fly around the lamps. While you are having lunch or dinner Gregoria who speaks fluently 4 or 5 languages will drop by and touch you on the back and ask if there is anything she can do for you. Yianni, the older boy of this amazing family will also drop by and very politely ask if everything is ok. The family will do anything and they are there for each single guest. I have never before seen this unity and understanding, and there is always a good word and a smile or hug to the kids from the parents.

The Hotel is set just above the sand and pebble beach. What can I write about the beautiful beaches of Latchi which I consider the best in Cyprus! Here don’t expect to find sandy beaches. It is a pebbled beach with colourful tiny pebbles that make you want to collect them as they are in amazing shapes and colours. Here one can find the clearest crystal calm waters with no underwater currents. Have in mind though that sun beds and umbrellas are not free. The price is kept the same as the previous year -2.50 for an umbrella and the same stands for a sun-bed but this is under another management and the hotel has nothing to do with it.

The hotel is kept open the year round because it is a meeting point for naturalists, bird watchers, and different clubs and societies come directly here from Germany and keep coming back year after year. It is nice that you can see familiar faces. I guess it is a venue for a friends’ or family reunion and if I ever have the chance to arrange one I will certainly pick this place here as the best and most affordable. I highly recommend it and I truly long to be back as I consider these people part of my family …and I only met them last year!
    Internet access if free and fast, but do carry along your shampoo and bath gel because the hotel provides only small soaps.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Professionalism Scarcely to be Found!

After spending 3 wonderful nights at the premises the only word that comes to mind is “Professionalism”. I highly recommend it to couples and families who want to truly relax, travel around, and enjoy freshly homemade food without paying much.

The service is of top quality. From the first moment I felt as if I knew the family years back, as if I was a member of their family. I was amazed with Gregoria whom I truly consider a good friend by now. She speaks excellent German, French and English and even though she was mostly busy she would find time for each single guest to talk to, suggest places, and trying to please everyone’s needs and demands. No matter how tired she can be, she has a smile and an open heart for all.
    Tasos, her husband is fully busy and in control of the kitchen. Everything is homemade and fresh, and I cannot forget the wonderful soups I had here, the stew, and the fresh fish included in the dinner menu for so little!

Breakfast was beyond expectations for such a hotel. Because my work has to do with much travelling I have visited hotels with 3 or 4 stars which had continental breakfast and really not the best quality. How can I forget the variety of jams, the freshly homemade olive and halloumi bread each morning, the fresh orange juice, and the rich combination of fruit, cheese, omelettes or sausages! Just brilliant!
    The terrace overlooks the beautiful Chrysochou Bay and the Rock of Aphrodite Baths making the spot unbeatable with the wonderful sunset colours. Dinner at the hotel is a “must”.

My room was modest but impeccably clean and spacious and the balcony overlooking the beautiful gardens. There is no mini bar in the room though but you can ask for one with a small charge. The balcony was big with a rack to hang clothes on, and a set of plastic chairs and table, but the round area was so beautiful that I only returned to the room for my evening sleep.

The location is ideal for walks along the Akama Peninsula and the Aphrodite Trail as well as visiting the Cedar Valley. There is a bus stop just outside the hotel coming from the Baths of Aphrodite passing every 20 minutes. I had a round trip one day to Latchi and Polis and then to Paphos and back for just 2 euro. The local buses have become very popular in this area and people are using them a lot.
    The progress made on the Public means of transport on the island this year is amazing. (Ask for the booklet with the bus schedules, routes and info guide from any main bus station).

There is no internet access in the rooms, but it is free in the sitting area and the terrace. The beach is public, so if you really need an umbrella and a sun bed this will cost you 5 euro for the whole day. This is the only drawback I could find here!
    I believe it is one of the best….if not the best beach on the island here, but it is not shallow waters for little kids. There is no swimming pool, but actually who needs one if the waters are crystal turquoise colored, so clear that you can see fish swimming next to you!!
    I truly want to return and plan to do so when I visit the Akama peninsula in March.
    Don’t miss this hotel if you come to this area!

Directions: One Km from Aphrodite Baths and 2 Kms from Latchi.

Comments