Acc-Nifos Galileo Hotel

Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 28% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Prague

Charles Bridge is popular with local artistsCharles Bridge is popular with local artists

CheersCheers

Franz Kafka's home on the Golden LaneFranz Kafka's home on the Golden Lane

PraguePrague

Old Town? New Town? I'm confused :-(

by JessH

Hello from Dubai!

We're going to Prague for 5 days in November (yes, still a long time away, I know...) but I've started looking at accomodation and am glad to see that November is "off season".
We prefer staying in self-catering apartments, and I'm surprised that there seem to be hundreds in Prague!

We would like to stay in a central part, with easy walking distances to the major sights of interest, but now I wonder what's better: Old Town or New Town? We want to be near the River, and also need a supermarket nearby to purchase our groceries... any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
I've got a list of about 20 apartments already but cannot seem to decide!

by leics

Well, the Old Town is much more convenient for walking around and seeing the sights. You won't have problems with finding supplies: there's a large food supermarket in the basement of the Tesco building on Narodni, for example, and plenty of other shops selling food.

I have stayed in both the 'Old Town' and in the 'New Town' (but on the edge of the Old Town). The former was much better for wandering, visiting the places I wished to see and for finding pubs/restaurants in the evening too. It's also always best, imo, to stay somewhere where you can walk to most of what you want to see...too far from the Old Town and you will need tram, Metro or bus.

So I would strongly advise you to stay in the Stare Mesto (Old Town). As you have noticed, you have a great deal of choice!

by JessH

Great, I thought so. Thanks very much for confirming my "suspicion" ;-)

Now, I just need to find a nice-looking apartment that has a bath tub in the bathroom... after walking outside all day in the winter cold I need a hot bath!

Do you have any nice recommendations for cafes / bistros / restaurants for lunch? We'll have breakfast in our apartment and most dinners as well (apart from one night where we'll definitely partake in the Medieval Tavern :-))))

by swissfondue

Yes, as suggested the Old Town is the best location. You can walk everywhere from there. I didnt use any public transport for the few days I was there.

Leics mentioned the supermarket in the Tesco building but if you end up staying near Republic Square you will be able to shop at the Albert supermarket in the Palladium which is the largest shopping centre in Prague.

by leics

To be honest, I'd rather skip lunch and enjoy a few more evening meals out at decent pivovars/pubs-with-food..not the Medieval Tavern (assumiong you mean U Flecku?) though (or not more than once anyway!).

Try U Medvidku, and/or U Vejvodu and/or Pivovarsky Dum (well worth the trip out of the Stare Mesto).

If you want a decent lunch I can think of no better spot than the Klášterní pivovar Strahov in the courtyard of Strahov Monastery, up past the castle. Warm and cosy, good food and superb beer.

I've got tips on all of them, and they've all got their own websites.

by Roadquill

the old town is more central to the sites. The new town seemed stale. I stayed in Mala Strana and enjoyed it. 20 minute enjoyable walk to the Old Town. I bought a 24 hour pass and found the tram and metro easy to use. Karl

Travel Tips for Prague

Czech Beers

by fishandchips

The people of the Czech republic make some very nice beer of which sampling several is a must when you are in the capital. Beers from Prague & Pilsn are very good but you'll need to sample som eto make your own mind up. From the big company Staro pramen & Pilsner Urquell to the boutique beers you can't really go too wrong. Beer drinking with an international groups of friends

Take your time...Enjoy Prague!

by imran8852

Relax your tired aching feet from all the walking, sip your drink slowly at one of the coffee shops and watch the people goes by. Enjoy Prague before you say goodbye...you may never come here again! Cheap cigarettes, coffee, souvenirs and friendly people.

St. John Nepomuk

by Barton1968

St.John Nepomuk will help keep your secret.

Birth: unknown
Death: c. 1383

There is considerable doubt as to the exact origins of Saint John (Jan) Nepomuk. He was either a Vicar-General of Prague, named John (Jan) or Pomuk, or another vicar who refused to reveal confessional secrets of King Wenceslas IV's wife.
In any case, he was tortured and thrown off the Charles Bridge in Prague, where his body supposedly floated on the surface for some time, surrounded by a halo of stars. He was beatified in 1721 and canonized in 1729.
Saint Nepomuk is the patron saint of bridges and boatmen, and his statue (with a halo of golden stars) often appears on bridges and islands in Europe. His 1736 tomb, in St. Vitus Cathedral, contains two tons of silver.

Srbsko - rock climbing near prague

by Eugenetheduck

Well protected (rings) limestone climbing. Grades from beginner to advanced. Some climbs need 60m rope. Double rings on top of some climbs, single on others. Also popular route for cycling. Bikes can be hired from the railways in advance.

Vysehrad Cemetery

by jo104

This pretigius graveyard is given as a measure of the part these artists and intellectuals that played in the foundation of the nation and the high esteem they are held in.

No soldiers, no politians, not even the Communists managed to muscle their way in here (except on artistic merit). The graves are very well kept & some are very fancy with mosaics

Ladislav Saloun's grave for Dvorak, is quite a showy one with a mosaic inscription, studded with gold stones.

Cemetery open March, Aprl & Oct 8am-6pm, May - Sept 8am - 7pm, Nov - Feb 9am-4pm

In the gardens there are 4 Myslbek statues that used to grace the nearby Palackeho bridge. The grass here is the ideal place for picnics but for us it was far too cold.

Comments