Acc-Nifos Zlata Hvezda

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Prague

Death and the TurkDeath and the Turk

Wenceslas SquareWenceslas Square

fred and gingerfred and ginger

Martin greedily awaiting food at Red Hot & BluesMartin greedily awaiting food at Red Hot & Blues

Prague Travel passes, Tourist passes and Sunday closing???

by nickdixon

Hi there, Im flying in to Prague on saturday for 5 days MY FIRST VISIT AND I CANT WAIT :)) - and I just have a couple of questions that I hoped you guy might be able to answer....

I like walking about, but I cant work out how far the things to see are in the city - and so do i really need one of those travel passes to get about? Im staying close to the castle (Hotel U Krale Karla [King Charles]) hope its nice - it looks it :)) but i hear its up a steep hill - ugg

i was thinking of getting a pass to get in from the airport and then another one to get back on wednesday - or can you just get a single ticket each way? so does anyone know if i really need a pass at all - as i think there is lots to do in the city centre - is it bigger than Rome - i usually walk most places there.

Secondly - I hear that a Matilda Prague Card is good value if u intend to go to a few places - any comments here would be very useful too . . .

Finally - does the place kind of grind to a halt on a sunday - or will all the places of interest / museums etc still all be open?

Really looking forward to my trip - any tips would be great

THANKS IN ADVANCE :))

Nick

by tango_jd

We took a tram once only in the 4 days we were there.
Everything is walkable in my opinion.
The "old town" is literally just across the Charles Bridge from the castle side - the castle is up a hill from the Charles Bridge but not particularly steep I thought.
The Petrin Hill tower etc. is quite a walk but you can get the funicular railway up to the top. The station is just off the Ujezd road (apologies for spelling/grammar) near the funny man statues.
Try Google maps - the longest walk a typical tourist would make would be , say, the castle to , say, the museum at the end of Wenceslas Square which Google map says is 2 km.

by Dabs

We just bought a single ticket to get from the airport, my notes say it was good for 75 minutes and included the bus from the airport and then the metro to our hotel. We didn't need a travel pass while wandering around Prague, I thought it was very walkable although there is a steep hill to get up to the castle so see if you can find a bus or tram to get you closer to your lodging. We did get a 24 hour pass the day we came back from Vienna, that train station wasn't walkable to the center. Nor were a couple of the flea markets that were outside the city center but we still had the 24 hour pass for that.

by r13

No need to buy the pass from/to airport. As said above, single ride ticket is valid for 75 minutes, costs 26 CZK (around 1 EUR).

From the airport take bus 119 till the last stop, change to metro (2 stops) then take tram 12, 20 or 22 to "Malostranske namesti" (1 stop) whole trip will take around 30- 40 minutes. Hill is quite tall, but since milions of tourists walk the route without a problem, you should be able handle it :-)

Charles bridge is about 1.2 km away from your hotel (around 15 minutes walk), Old city square further 1 km/15 minutes.

by leics

Agree that everything is very walkable (and, I think, smaller than central historical Rome). I only took a couple of trams (just up and down the hill to the castle...it was very cold when I was last there!).

The hill up to the castle is indeed steep, so you may want to take the tram more often than I did if you're staying there.

I didn't bother with a pass. I just got the airport bus to Devjicka (end of the line)and then took the Metro from there to my hotel.

I'm in Prague from Monday, with a friend. Drop me a VTmail if you'd like to meet for a drink/coffe/whatever.

No sity card is good value unless you intend to use all the discounts it offers. Check what they offer, check ordinary entrances for places you know you want to visit, then make your decision.

by Roadquill

bookmark....

by hb_capri

we were in Prague last year for 3 days and we dint use any passes. Its all very walkable. we stayed near the Wenceslas square and took the day ticket once when we went to the castle. it is valid for 24 hours from when you activate it. so if u can plan properly, thats all you might need.

Happy Travels!
Harsha

Travel Tips for Prague

Cash Machines

by phastphreddy

(This has nothing to do with my favorite thing about Prague, but I think it's helpful and I can't find anywhere else to put it.)

Merchants in Prague really like exact change. Some of them get into a bit of a huff if they have to break a decent sized bill. The problem is, the cash machines tend to only give out big bills. Ask for 2000 crowns, get a 2000 crown note.

A friend gave me this tip: take out odd amounts. Instead of 2000 crowns, take out 1900. This will give insure that you get plenty of smaller bills and that keeps everybody happy.

It sounds really simple, but I never would have thought of it.

Karl Bridge

by Martin_S.

This pic shows the view from the bridge looking toward the new city.
Stroll along the bridge in the daytime or nightime and people watch, buy a souvenier, or just enjoy one of the statues along the sides. Whatever you do there it is worth the time spent. We used the bridge almost every day both for crossing the river and just to enjoy the 'bridge people' themselves.

Bohemian Garnets

by mary_birt

Look in all the jewellers shops and you will find garnets of all shapes and sizes. There are rings, earings, broaches, bracelets, crosses etc.
The garnets are beautiful, deep red in colour they look like blood, apparently it is thought that they have healing powers.
Needless to say I just had to buy a bracelet and ring.

Castles

by el_ruso

There are splendid castles around Prague. The most impressive is Karlstejn (XIV century), Krivoklat (XIII century), and several others located along the scenic Berounka river. Karlstejn IMO is a must see, like visiting Taj Mahal when in India. You can get more info on my Krivoklat and Karlstejn pages. I wanted to see Cesky Sternberk SE of Prague, but I didn't have the opportunity.

Pruhonice Gardens

by ettenaj

Location 10 miles south east of Prague. The renaissance palace of Pruhonice, built in 16th century and remodelled at the end of 19th century, contains an outstaning collection of plants. The park was laid out by the palace's former owner, and covers 260ha. It is open to the public April-October 7.00am- 7.00pm, although the palace itself is not. There is a horticultural research station in the park.

Comments