Best Western Hotel Smaragd Prague

Hotel Smaragd Prague
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Prague

Prague view from the Hdraczani gardensPrague view from the Hdraczani gardens

Nove MestoNove Mesto

Statue of St Wenceslas / sv VaclavStatue of St Wenceslas / sv Vaclav

SlaviaSlavia

Joker Hotel

by freestyle1014

My friend from Denmark is going to Prague this October. It will be her first to travel on her own and I'm a bit skeptical cos she said she is going to stay at Joker Hotel. I tried to surf the hotel on the net and can't find any. I looked it up at Tripadvisor as well as in this site and can't find any as well.

Is there anyone who can tell me where the hotel is located? Is there anyone who is familiar of the hotel? A review would be very helpful.

Thank you very much. Any suggestions/replies will be greatly appreciated.

by r13

It is very strange.

I have found:
In the description it says "It is in a properties inside central Prague part - Prague 1 or 2. Name of the of accomodation and address will be provided 3 days before arrival."
Probably the same is here:
Seems they are providing rooms in different hotels and have no own location. Newer encountered anything like that.

by freestyle1014

Thanks to the both of you.
Yes, I use Google Chrome search engine. Found out later that Firefox has a wider range.

by globetrott

It is a bit like in a lottery:
You pay for a certain type of room and are not able to choose your hotel yourself, but will get the infos about teh hotel some days before arrival.
Sometimes a customer might be lucky (like having the Joker in a card-game) and get something special for a cheap price, but I am sure in most cases that does not make sense for the customers.

by barbloga

I'm from Prague and I have to say, that I have never heard of this hotel. I tried googling it and the only site I found was this: http://www.tourpartner.cz/en/hotels-in-prague/

Looks like it's an alias for the rela name of the hotel... have a look at the site, hope this helps. Also, if you would be looking for different accomodation in Prague, you can check out my blog that has a lot of hip places for young travelers:

by ranger49

It sounds like the "Secret Hotel" offered by some London hotel booking sites where you are offered a specified class of accommodation or above, but only receive the name and location of the hotel at the last moment.
It seems a variant of Late Bookings/Last Minute but with something like Late Rooms you can usually choose the spwcifice accommodation offrered before booking.
I know a couple of people who used the system in London and were very satisfied with the "Secret".

by freestyle1014

I will definitely give my friend the link.
Thank you very much.

by freestyle1014

Now I know why they call the hotel Joker hotel. It's sort of like a roulette.
Thank you very much for the reply.

by Askla

Hello!
Why not simply ask your friend where she got the adress/link? She ought to know herself.

But for hotels I nearly alwys use www.booking.com because they are very often the cheapest option.

Regards Lars.

Travel Tips for Prague

Old Town Prague

by sportell

This was an interesting city to wander through for a day. A popular item to purchase if their crystal. I picked up a beautiful green vase painted with gold lattice for a very reasonable price. While I was there a market was in full swing with vendors selling ornately carved boxes and traditional decorated eggs.

The Astronomical Tower was under construction, so most of it was covered. That was my main reason for the trip. However, from what I saw, it looked lovely and I intend to return to see it better.

Centre of Europe

by sandysmith

Not seen this in many guide books but Prague is the centre of Europe. Look out for the line in the cobbles between the astronomical clock and Tyn Cathedral in the old town square - thats the mark denoting the middle of Europe! In actual tfact I think it must be to do with the time meridian line or something as the geographical centre of Europe is much further Eastwards, somewhere in Northeast Poland or that region (thanks to VT'er German_Eagle for that info :-) )

Men first

by ruzena

Its not like America where men open the door for the ladies, they go into a restaurant first, i don't know why but don't embarrass yourself girls! I did a few times and didn't catch on for the first few days!

Watching The Football

by johngayton

The weekend whilst I was in Prague was when the World Cup qualifiers were being held. Scotland were playing Belarus on the Saturday afternoon, and so decided to watch it on TV in a bar - not that I had any real expectations of us getting a result, but you never know.

Having already come across Rocky O'Reilly's a couple of days previously it seemed a natural venue to indulge in what is just about the only sporting activity I get these days.

So Rocky O's it was (see also separate tip in "nightlife").

Even though we lost our game, and are now knocked out of the competition, I had a really cracking day! I arrived fairly early and found myself a stool at the bar with a decent view of the TV that the Scotland match was being shown - also playing that day were England and then later on Holland v Czech Republic.

As the Guinness went down, the bar filled up, with predominantly English supporters plus a good sized contingent of Dutchmen - the atmosphere was really convivial, partisan yes, but really friendly. The English (and it pains me to say this) were perfectly behaved, actually singing proper songs rather than the usual "football chants" that they have a reputation for. TV Screens, Beer Pumps, Bar Stools and etc.!

Not enough space above so continuing here:

Then next to me a couple of women sat down and ordered some lunch, recognising their accent we got chatting and it turned out that they were from Aberdeen (The Scotland One!). So here we were - a little trio of Scots amidst a sea of English and Dutch - the conversation flowed, the beer flowed and the camera clicked away.

It really was an enjoyable day, thanks ladies, thanks you Engish guys (hmmmmmmm) and thanks to the handsome Dutchman who looked after my bar stool whenever I went to the loo!!

Terezin concentration camp -...

by Waoife

Terezin concentration camp - as with Karlstejn Castle, you can save a lot of money by using local transport rather than going on an organised excursion plus you can spend as long as you like there rather than being rushed along with 40 or 50 other people. Get the bus from the Central bus station in Prague to the village square in Terezin where there is a very good museum & from there it's about at 10 minute walk to the main fortress - you can save a few crowns by buying a joint ticket for the museum & fortress.

Used largely as a holding camp before it's inmates were sent to one of the death camps, Terezin was also used as a model town & was even visited by the Red Cross.

Worth a visit for a very interesting if sombre experience.

Comments