Carlo IV

Booking.com Priceline.com Autograph Hotels

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• greg0088's Profile Photo

nice classic Hotel

I stayed only one night , felt very comfortable with the facilities and service

Unique Quality: great bed ,let me sleep so comfortable.

Directions: city center

More about Carlo IV

Lifeless and uninspiring - Carlo IV Wake Up!

by TripAdvisor Member CondemnedDublin

It was a great misfortune that I ended up staying at the Carlo IV. This hotel lacks a personality and intimacy. Maybe it is the case that some tourists are looking for this type of dull experience - we hoped that we would experience a little of the atmosphere of Prague.

We found it quite unusual that both staff and guests, seem to whisper as if they are afraid to raise their voices in the building - why ? This hotel has the atmosphere of a Sanitorium.

The bar is something else! Extremely overpriced - no wonder it is empty as not only can't the locals afford to drink in it neither can the tourists. The bar staff were generally friendly and pleasant with the exception of the bald chap who was rather rude. There was never more than a handful of whispering people in the bar. We never saw anyone in the Cigar Bar. Wake up - if the prices were in any way reasonable then maybe they might have a full bar. This led to a very dull experience for us.

The Restaurant looks great, the service is good and the food is average and over priced. Maybe, it is the case that, being an Italian Hotel Group, they still believe they are in the Eternal City and that by charging higher prices that somehow this hotel will be seen as being extremely exclusive.

The hotel is a little off the beaten track, we passed some beautiful buzzing hotels on the way into town - I am coming back and will stay in one of those hotels. This hotel is not at all child friendly, we had a big problem with number of steps to be climbed at the entrance - not good for old people or kids. The swimmingpool and spa were not designed with children in mind and it was too cold for the kids. In fact, the swimmingpool area was rather odd - you could not get a seat beside the pool as they were all taken - maybe because this was one of the only free activities in the hotel. A lot of the guests were asleep on the recliners and seemed to have been there for quite some time. Why on earth would one stay for the day down in a cool dark basement when you are on the doorstep of one of the most beuatiful cities in the world ?

Finally, in relation to my booking, I specifically requested that as I had very young kids that I wanted two bedrooms beside each other as there did not seem to be any family rooms. I also telephoned the hotel to make sure that they got my request and I was told that this would not be an issue - we arrived and the rooms were not adjacent and the lady at reception said there were no other rooms available. There seems to be a lack of training and overall, in my opinion, this hotel lacks quality management.

I won't be returning to Carlo IV

Dont Stay Here!

by TripAdvisor Member Adisgruntledcustomer

After staying at the Exedra in Rome, my friend and I were very excited about staying at the Carlo IV as at the Exedra they bent over backwards to make us feel special and we had a huge room and were expecting the Carlo IV to be the same standard! HOW WRONG WE WERE!!!!

There is no atmosphere in the hotel and we felt like intruders who were in the wrong place! The rooms were tiny and so were the bathrooms - we were at the back of the hotel with no view even though there didnt seem to be many people staying in the hotel. The spa was freezing cold and the treatments were very basic. We were charged for breakfast which we didnt have and after arguing with them for 15 minutes (with the manager unprepared to see us!) with our driver waiting to take us the airport they finally relented and removed it from the bill. I left in tears - wont be going back!

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member dburkett

I stayed at Carlo IV in Prague for three nights in October of 2005. The location is good if you want to be close to most all tourist attractions but not right in the middle of it (i.e., on a quiet street). The hotel is gorgeous. It is spotless. The rooms are reasonably large, clean, and modern. The staff are helpful and friendly. No complaints at all. I would stay here again without question.

Fanstastic All Round!

My partner and I stayed at Carlo IV for 5 nights over Christmas and had a wonderful time. The hotel itself is amazing, the staff are more than friendly and the breakfast is surpurb! The leisure facilities are a must after a long day of walking. Very nice atmosphere in the hotel. The rooms were really nice and the housekeepers did a great job each day. Overall I thought the hotel exceeded a 5 star standard. Granted the drinks are expensive, but as are the drinks in the tourist areas of Prague. I was hesitant staying at Carlo after reading the reviews, but I am glad I did.

Thought it was fantastic!

I've just come back from a weekend in Prague staying at the Carlo IV. I was a bit apprehensive about the hotel after reading some of the reviews... but am pleased to say I think the hotel is great and would stay there again if I am lucky enough to return!

We stayed in a Deluxe room which was facing the front of the hotel - trams did go by regularly but didn't disturb us at all. The room was beautifully furnished (as is the rest of the hotel) and a good size (huge bed!).

The hotel itself is about 10 minutes walk from the Old Town (but is v. close to an underground station) and we actually quite liked being a bit away from the hustle and bustle of the more touristy areas of Prague. We loved the pool area with steam and sauna rooms it was a lovely way to relax after spending the day sightseeing.

Again, the reviews were right!

We booked Carlo IV for the last 2 nights of our honeymoon - however on reading some of the mixed reviews here before we left I was starting to get anxious and wondered whether we should change.

As it turned out the hotel itself is lovely and standard 5 star, though in a bit of a quiet area - perhaps just a street too far out of the centre. The lobby is beautiful, but as others have mentioned, there is this strange eery atmosphere. There are always mountains of staff about and no guests. A security guard meets you at the top of the stairs, then the concierge and then once you get into the lobby there are dozens more staff saying hello. This means that you feel as though dozens of pairs of eyes are watching your every move - very disconcerting.

The room was nice - we overlooked the main street. Gorgeous decor, but quite a small room even though there are high ceilings.

We had indicated to the hotel that we were on our honeymoon but there was no mention of this when we checked in, unlike other hotels we had stayed in.

The restaurant and bar are lovely but deserted most of the time. You almost feel as if you shouldn't be disturbing things. We didn't eat in the restaurant - the menu looked good but very, very expensive for Prague, clearly more of a business man's hotel. The bar was a little more reasonable.

Room service was great. Minibar prices, as already mentioned here, are an absolute joke. I don't mind paying minibar prices, but not when the prices would be steep for a 5 star hotel in Scotland, let alone in a city where alcohol is less than half the price of home. Ditto breakfast, which was offered at 25 euros a head. Hacing just come from a 5 star hotel in Vienna where they were asking 12 euros, this seemed a bit ridiculous.

We had a problem with the pay-tv. When we called to say it wasn't working a 'technician' was sent up. This was clearly one of the receptionists and she had about asa much clue as us as to the problem. She told us that a few guests had reported similar problems during the day. Which kinda made us think.....well, why aren't you doing anything to fix it? We also received several strange phonecalls to the room during our stay - I think from outside numbers.

The pool and sauna are beautiful and spacious.

On our last day, we were called just after 11 to be reminded that the check-out time was 12 noon. Clearly we knew this, but it left a bad taste as if they wanted you out.

I think it's best to say that there's just something not quite right about the hotel. The staff are polite but no more than that. I would try the 4 seasons next time I think.

Simply Awesome

Well what can I say....one of the very best hotels that I have ever stayed in including those for business or pleasure.

My partner and I spent several days in Prague and booked this hotel early. Subsequently we read reviews on this site and were rather anxious that it might not live up to our expectations. Haveing stayed there and re-read the earlier comments now I can see that from my experience most of the negative ones were far from the truth.

Before arriving we requested a room upgrade if available which we were given upon arrival free of charge without question. The room was beautifully decorated and quite spacious.

All staff we encountered were exceptionally helpful and gracious. They often did far more than expected. The reception staff were eager to answer questions. One of the pool area staff secretly let my partner and I drink a bottle of champagne beside the pool even though it was against the rules....we were well looked after which was exceptional customer service.

Breakfast was included in our room rate and was by far the best gourmet breakfast I have ever had. From fresh smoked salmon to pancakes to natural yoghurts and the largest range of fresh breads that I have seen outside a bakery. Best of all was that decent espresso coffee (rather than the filtered variety served at most hotels) was all part of the breakfast.

We had a drink in the bar which was rather expensive but I rarely eat or drink in the hotel anyway so we were more than happy to try out some of the much cheaper restaurants and pubs around the city.

The location of the hotel was better than expected with a 10 minute walk to either the old or new town squares, a 2 minute walk to the nearest tram stop which has trams going past quite regularly and a 5-10 minute walk to the nearest train station.

All in all we would rate our stay there 10 out of 10 and would not hesitate in booking it again if we venture back to Prague.

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rach100

we had a great stay at this hotel, superb location. Rooms small but so beautifully furnished wasn't a problem. Swimming pool and spa were not heated whilst we were there but we hardly saw any other guests so perhaps that was why. We did find the staff a bit unfriendly and had some hassles about being charged for food we hadn't had which no-one seemed to believe us about! Overall, we would go back and would highly recommend this hotel

Great stay

I stayed 3 nights at this hotel on a deal witha pal for 165 euros for a twin room which seemed good for that type of hotel and after reading Tripadvisor many times decided to give it a go. We booked the stay directly on the hotel website as I couldn't find a cheaper deal elsewhere. Flights booked with easy jet for about £70 each (return). The hotel was amazing decor wise...the lobby breathtaking but a little sterile in general and hotel seemd very empty and lacked feeling...BUT after as busy family beach holiday we were both looking for a bit of peace and rest!
Yes I agree rather out of the town centre but the walk after the fab breakfasts was just what we needed. The room was rather small for the standard of the hotel although all newly furbished and very clean which was the main thing..lovely decor in bathroom but 1 of the smallest I have seens for such a hotel of that standard. However we were not there for the room but a nice clean room to return to is a +ve. I agree also NO VIEW??..seems that the hotel backs onto 3 buildings so i doubt if any of the rooms had views apart from the suites at the front and then maybe noisy with trams?? Ours was silent so did not complain!
Breakfast was amazing..never seen such a huge choice in any other 4 or 5 * hotel and i have stayed in many all over the world.
The pool area was v cold and far too dark..we didn't enjoy that part but that didn't spoil overall hotel view.
I think it will become very much a business/conference hotel so will not suit everyone who wants a 'holiday' type hotel.
I would go there again for the price we got it at but not if the 'true' website price was charged as a little too far out and rather sterile but GO if you get a good deal on it and want peace and quiet!

Comfortable hotel within short walking distance to the main train station

by MrSpice107

I am looking to stay in Prague for 3 days in the beginning of September. I am looking for a nice and comfortable hotel in the 100-130 EURO range that is very close to the main train station. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

by iandsmith

When you get off the train they (people from hotels) will assail you. Go and have a look before you decide but it's fairly easy.

by Nadia7

hello,
because of the fact that the train station is in the centre of Prague,there are many hotels nearby,but most of them are more expensive. Eg.there's Carlo IV very close the the station,but is costly.Anyway,if u r interested in more details abt hotels, u can go to www.prague-holiday.net and this site might help you a bit.
Nadia.

by hundwalder

Why do you want something close to the train station. Any hotel near a Metro ( subway / underground ) station can be reached within minutes from the train station. ( even suberban Prage )

Comments