Slezska 26, Prague, Bohemia, 12000, Czech Republic

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 43% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Claris Hotel

A great little hotel

Ill keep it short and sweet, i have been to prague before and i stayed in a 4 star hotel and the service, clenliness and the friendliness of the staff could not be touched and they spoke great english.
I left my credit card in the bedside cabinet on the last day when we went back for it it was waighting at the reception.
Try the red barron great food and superb service and all for 1500k with a couple of drinks and coffee for two.

Clean and good value

Stayed at the Claris Hotel as a solo traveler. The hotel is fairly new (I think), and the bathroom was very spiffy and modern—except for the lack of shower door or curtain. I did manage to get the bathroom wet each time I showered. Comfortable bed, too (a plus in Europe).

A couple complaints: I was given the single room adjacent to the lobby and it was noticeably noisy.My only advice for solo travelers (or those seeking a room with two single beds), would be to request that you are not near the lobby. My other "complaint" (although that sounds a bit severe), was that it was a bit of a walk from the Metro to the hotel. I had read a review on some website that said it was a 3 minute walk from the subway. Well, as a former New Yorker (who walks quite fast), I can assure you it's more like 10-12. Maybe I noticed the distance because it was -17 Celcius! Perhaps in the summer it wouldn't be so bad.

All in all, I would definitely recommend it for the price and cleanliness.

Great Value - A Couple Of Quirks, Though

by TripAdvisor Member Scott_YYZ

We stayed at Hotel Claris in Prague for 4 nights in February '06. The location was quite good (only a 5min walk from the subway station - I timed it!).

LOCATION:
Not much to see/do around the hotel, and the restaurants around the hotel are mostly international (Chinese, Italian, other Euro foods). Just jump on the metro, and you can get to Wenceslas Square (1 stop), or Prague castle (3 stops) within minutes.

HOTEL:
The hotel itself was very clean and modern. The rooms were very comfortable. For the price, there is no better value. I have stayed at probably 50+ locations in Europe, and this hotel would definitely rank in the top ten.

GOOD EXPERIENES:
Very good quality breakfast every morning, which is served as a buffet. The rooms were clean, comfortable and very quiet at night. Wireless internet is available throughout the hotel, and if you don't have a laptop/PDA with you, there's a free internet room open 24hrs. The walk to the subway is only about 5min., and you are at all major sites within 20mins of leaving the hotel.

BAD EXPERIENCES:
We did have two 'bad' experiences at the hotel. First, we stayed in Room 1, which is nice and quiet at the end of the hallway. When we entered the room the first time, we could smell an extremely strong ammonia smell (I hope, because it also smelled like pee). When we complained to the front desk, they stated it was normal and was the scent of their disinfectant which was present in all rooms. Either way, we didn't change rooms, and we just kept the windows open while we were out. The smell was there every day, but keeping the windows open was a drag (it was -5 outside).

Second, when we tried to book a tour from the front desk, one of the girls (dark hair to her shoulders) was really difficult to work with. She demanded cash, even though it clearly stated we could pay by credit card (it was 3000 crowns) on all brochures. She refused to take the credit card, and made us walk to the nearest ABM which was out of service. When we came back without the cash, she was very difficult and basically treated us like we were lying. Thankfully I had taken a picture of the out-of-service ABM as a joke, and I was able to show her. She then sent us about 5km to the other ABM to get cash. Long story made short, when the tour guide arrived, he told us we could have paid by credit card and that she wanted cash so she could get her commission faster! Not too happy. Lesson - book tours from the tourist office, not the hotel.

PRO'S: Price, Free Breakfast, Free Internet Room (24hrs), Free WiFi Internet Throughout Hotel, Proximity To Subway, Comfortable Rooms

CON'S: The stink from the disinfectant solution they use (heavy ammonia smell, like pee!), Booking a tour is difficult with certain staff members (not recommended).

TIPS:

#1: We ate only at Czech restaurants. The best one (amazing) is 'U Rudolfina' near the Rudolfinum Theatre and a short walk from the Charles Bridge. Unreal Czech cuisine, at really cheap prices. Beers are only 0,80EUR or $1USD.

#2: Opera and Symphony are best at the National Theatre and the Rudolfinum respectively. You pay less at these major theatres than at the tourist traps downtown. Visit the theatre on the day of the show to buy tickets direct. We paid only 3,00EUR/$4USD for the Opera, and 2,00EUR/$3USD for the symphony. Both were great experiences.

#3: Buy the unlimited subway pass when you arrive at the airport (or buy it at any station). For 280 crowns (6,00EUR / $8USD), you get unlimited bus/tram/subway for 7-days (also available in 1,3,5,15 day tickets). We bought our 7-day pass at the airport and took the public bus from the airport to the subway, then connected with the subway to the hotel. Total trip time 45min (a little more than a cab), but it was included in the unlimited ticket!

Hope this helps! Enjoy Prague (we also visited Karlsbad and Terezin while there - both are recommended, and you can do both from the bus station for cheap).

Clean, good value and fairly close to centre (odd showers)

by TripAdvisor Member masaccio

We stayed a week in Hotel Claris in February and with one niggle (see in a bit), it was rather good. We paid Kr 2200 per night, which made it about the best we could find for a hotel within a few minutes metro ride of the centre (and 15 minute walk to the south end of Wenceslas Square).

The room was clean and the bathroom spotless. Breakfast was basic, but had pretty much what I would expect from a European hotel. Every member of staff that I spoke to was immensely helpful.

The only niggle was the ludicrously low shower. If you're a shower-a-day person staying for a week (like me) then this would really start to be a drag and that's why I can't offer an excellent rating. Otherwise, most highly recommended.

confortable break

Me and my children were really happy with all the help and good service we got at Claris Hotel. I felt very confortable and safe. It is a great family hotel and a great location for the centrum of Prague. Fantastic value for money.

Love the Claris

by TripAdvisor Member Beanstickle

I booked the Claris largely based on all the great reviews on this site. And we weren't disappointed. We had a twin room, with plenty of storage (2 girls x 2 nights = lots of shoes and clothes), which was very clean and quiet. Yes the shower is weird, but just be careful!

Breakfast was good - Czech bread is lovely, so leave the Atkins plan at home and indulge - you have little choice in a city filled with beer, bread, potatoes and pasta!

The reception staff were incredibly friendly and helpful - the young blonde guy kindly let me use the reception computer so I could check in for our return flights online and printed off the confirmations too.

The location was great too - only 5 minutes walk to Namesti Miru (and that was based on my little legs wearing high heels walking through snow and ice - think the person who took 10 minutes must have got lost...) and from there only a few minutes to the old town or the castle - London Transport could learn a lot!
The trams were also really quick although make sure you hold on tight!

Highly recommended:
- We had a fab night in Karlovy Lázně - the biggest nightclub in Central Europe. Its right next door to Charles Bridge, so you can't miss it. Great atmosphere, music, drinks, prices and a free cloakroom. You can't fail to have a good time and trust me, the 5am closing comes all too quickly...
- Pizzeria Grosseto on Namesti Miru - lovely decor, delicious food and lovely Czech Sauvignon Blanc.
- The Cuban bar/restaurant La Bodeguito-something - (its in the Lonely Planet book) in the old town - fabulous food, moreish cocktails and a lively atmosphere, even on a Sunday night

Final tip - I got a great price by booking this directly through the hotel - hotel-claris- definitely cheaper than any of the usual travel websites.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to anyone else.

Great place to stay.

by TripAdvisor Member Littlesthobo100

We saw the reviews before booking the hotel and weren't disappointed at all. Really clean rooms, comfortable beds, friendly staff, great position for the tube and tram, extremely quiet at night - what more could you want. Only advice I would give is don't eat in the Chinese Restaurant two doors down - possibly the most depressing place on earth! Also, you can buy 24 hour underground tickets in the newsagents opposite the ticket machines @ Namesti Miru(?) station for 80Kn.

Simple, comfortable and very good value

by TripAdvisor Member viaggiando

I booked this hotel for two nights, following Tripadvisor, and I did not regret it. Booking through Expedia, it only costed 43 EUR (double room for one person), which is excellent value in Prague. The room was spacious and clean, furnished with pleasant wooden furniture. Breakfast was very good. The staff at the reception was extremely nice. I also appreciated the very honest telephone bill (tariffs are clearly inidcated and respected) and the taxi service (taxis in Prague may be an adventure). There is free Internet access, which is a plus. It is in a semicentral area, quite a good neighbourhood, and well connected to the historical centre by subway (only one stop to Venceslav square, two to the very centre). Nevertheless, I do not rate it as "excellent", because there are some issues which did not bother me but might bother some demandining traveller. I also had a problem with smell (Room 12), so I asked to change the room and the new one was OK. The curtains are insufficient to create complete darkness, so you are woken up by light. The second day the bathroom had not really been cleaned (but in principle the hotel is clean). There is no lift to the first floor, so it may be better to stay on the ground floor if you have heavy baggage. Apart from that, I would recommend it, especially if you are budget conscious.

Loved the Claris

I booked the hotel Claris through its website hotel-claris. It is the easiest way how to get the advantageous price in last-minute. The hotel is situated in a residential district with plenty of restaurants and bars well connected to the city center by subway or trams. It is just one stop to the Wenceslas square or two stops to the Old town. I like walking and it was also possible (10 minutes to the Wenceslas square). It is not the most interesting part of the city, but it is quite and safe. You can also see, how people live here and visit places, where Czechs like to go. The Claris is located in a quiet street, so you don´t hear any noise inside the hotel.
The room we stayed in was large and elegant. I appreciated a bath-tube as much as an internet room, which is free of charge. If you travel with your own computer, there is also wifi connection. The hotel seems to be quiet new, so everything is clean and not used up. In the lobby is an amazing aquarium with a huge fish.
The buffet breakfast was rich with many different types of bread, cheese, ham, vegetable, eggs,…. I was really satisfied.
The reception stuff were very helpful and friendly. They explained us how to use the public transport, recommended places, where to go for a dinner and gave us useful information about the city and its possibilities.
I recommend to use the taxi service belonging to the hotel (tariffs are clearly indicated and respected). The ride to the airport costs 580,- Kc. I wouldn´t recommend to stop taxis on the street, especially at night. The price could be very annoying startle (personal experience).
I liked charm of the hotel and hospitality of the hotel stuff. I wouldn´t hesitate to recommend the Claris to my friends or business partners.

What a gem of a hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member StuartandLesley

My wife and I have just returned from a very enjoyable and really comfortable 4 night stay at the excellent Hotel Claris. The web comments were all so positive and they certainly weren't wrong. What more could you ask of a hotel? Clean, bright, nice modern furnishings, VERY quiet, tasty breakfast, friendly & polite staff - all in all excellent value for money! The position is great too - a nice area with good restaurants and very close to the metro and not far walking into the centre (Wenceslas Square 10-15 mins.)You can also catch a no. 22 tram into the city and even right up to the castle without changing. Nice local restaurant Rudy Baron is just round the corner and much cheaper than those around Old Town Square. However, as you might prefer somewhere more central, try the Barfly Restaurant & Bar on U Dobrenskych, 3 (in a little side street just off Betlémské Square & 2 mins walk from Old Town Square) which has a good varied menu, very friendly staff & is much better value than some of the touristy joints nearby. Also, try the Black Light show at the Reduta Theatre but, when booking a concert in Prague, do ask how long it will be as we paid £17 per ticket and our concert barely lasted more than 1 hour. Maybe this is the norm or perhaps it was because it was early in the season - worth checking! Great city! Plenty to see and don't miss the charming toy museum (near the café at Prague Castle)which is well worth a visit if you like wallowing in nostalgia!

Comments