Czech Inn Hostel

Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

More about Czech Inn Hostel

What a boar!

by iwys about Restaurace U Supa

Sorry, just couldn't resist that pun.

Restaurace U Supa is a very traditional, lively, Czech inn, where they serve huge portions of meat, dumplings and pickled red cabbage, washed down with draft beer. Their speciality is a whole roast pig roasted in lard and beer. U supa means vulture! For the more weight-conscious diners, they also serve salads and pasta dishes. There is a salad bar available for 95Kc or 4.90 euros.

It has a varied, reasonably priced menu, with most of the main courses costing between 6 and 10 euros. Roast pork shoulder with sauerkraut and dumplings is 6.60 euros. Apple strudel and icecream is 3.90 euros.

It's packed with local couples and families at night and inside it's a bit like a scene from a Pieter Bruegel painting.

Open: midday - midnight I preferred the roast duck to the boar, which was a rather dry and tough.

Shopping center Palladium PrahaShopping center Palladium Praha

ParksParks

Astronomical Clock, Prague Old Town HallAstronomical Clock, Prague Old Town Hall

Full view of church frontFull view of church front

Czech Inn or Miss Sophie's

by mtandon

Hello All,

I will be prague for two days. Hence, what's the best between the two hostels for 1 night, in terms of location, safety and quality of the place: Czech Inn or Miss Sophie's

Also, if there's any other option you would have in mind based on the above mentioned things, please recommend.

Thanks!
Mansi

Re: Czech Inn or Miss Sophie's

by guiguette

They seem to be both in an ok area.
I'd say Miss Sophie's is a bit more accessible since you can reach it from the tram or metro which would allow you to go everywhere quite quickly.
Hope this helps.

FYI :
Czech Inn is around Namesti Miru (2 stops by tram)
Miss Sohpie's is around I.P. Pavlova

Prague in late May till early June

by Mochacha

Hi! I am planning to go Prague the first time. Would anyone give me some help with the followings:

1. would you recommend me a hostel that is clean and decent and if possible, has a private bathroom? (Not too expensive for 4, about 25 to 30 CAD per person per night)

2. what do you think about The Castle Steps or Czech Inn?

3. are there some local bars that are (comparably) safer for girls/visitors? (Our ages are from 25 to 30)

Thanks in advance.

by Lyndra

There are some nice bars near the Charles Bridge that I enjoyed very much including a great tequila bar with a good menu of shots!
Can't advice you on a hostel but there are some very reasonable

by Lyndra

oops, sorry posted before sentence was finished!I was just about to say that the hotels are still very reasonable in Prague as they do cater for large groups regularly :o)

by Dream07

As for question one: Me and 4 friends went and stayed at a hostel in the Old Town Square. We had a private room and a private bathroom. It was the Old Prague Hostel. It was very nice, clean and the reception staff was friendly and open 24/7. I don't know if the prices stay the same as we were there on the off season, but you can check it out.
2. I don't know much about the The Castle Steps or the Czech Inn but when my friends and I were looking at pricing the Castle Steps was out of our budget.
3. Bars- all over the place. Pretty much when we were there we stayed toward the center and everywhere we looked we saw another bar. I don't think that there was a bar that we felt unsafe in.
I hope this helps you out. :) Make sure you also do some sight seeing! So many beautiful things to see!!!

Restaurants with Food from the Hunt

by janetanne

My friends will be in Prague from the 30th December until 3rd January. They would like to eat in a restaurant that serves food from wild game. Any sugesstions?

by iwys

Restaurace U Supa, Celetna 22, Stare Mesto, serves wild boar, but personally I found the meat a bit tough.
It's a traditional Czech inn and the atmosphere is good.

Re: Re: Restaurants with Food from the Hunt

by iwys

U modre kachnicky, Nebovidska 6, Mala Strana, specializes in Game, including pheasant and venison, but I haven't eaten there.

by chrishc

Most restaurants in Prague will have game on the menu. The nicest restaurant we tried was Restaurant Mucha.

To get a more Czech influence and probably cheaper food try thr restaurants which call themselves Restaurace (I think this is Czech for restaurant.

by elizaboland

My husband and I just returned from a pre-christmas trip to prague last night and loved it. I would recommend for your friend the three restaurants we went to (all recommended to us by a dear friend born and raised in Prague):

U Modre Kachnicky: Our favorite. Very reasonable traditional Czech food with an emphasis on game. I had duck; my husband boar. Very good in a beautiful, non-touristy setting.

Zlata Praha: While I normally hate hotel restaurants. This one in top of the Intercontinental Hotel has gorgeous sweeping views of the city at night. Very good food, wine list. Also has game.

Kampa Park: Trendy modern Czech/continintal food in Kampa... just off the Charles Bridge.

Travel Tips for Prague

Sooo Much Better On Tap!

by Husker_Jeff

I knew a lot about Czech beer going into our trip, and I am a huge fan of beer, in general. One thing I didn't realize is how much of a difference there is with beer on tap versus beer in a bottle.

I have enjoyed Pilsner Urquell and understand how it was the original, hence Ur-quell. And I liked it in a bottle, but living in the States that's about all we get. I did have some Urquell on tap in the States once, but it still wasn't as good as the fresh, fresh, fresh Urquell we had in Prague.

I heard from other tourists there and also from the locals that the beer is much easier to drink on tap and some people who don't like beer quickly change their minds when they try the fresh stuff.

We tried all of the following on tap: Pilsner Urquell, Budvar, Gambrinus, Krusovice and Krusovice dark.

It also makes a difference where you get the beer - make sure it is a locally respected place so the lines are clean and the kegs are fresh. You will not be disappointed.

Prices: If you pay more than 30 Kc, you must be in a tourist area. We found a few places where it was 26-28 Kc. If you get well away from the tourist areas it will be even less. But it's not necessarily bad to pay more - you may simply be paying for ambience or location. And that's okay as long as you enjoy yourself.

Bring a good pair of boots!

by piersend

Be sure to bring a comfortable pair of shoes or boots, there is so much to see in Prague you tend to walk from one sight to another. You can end up walking much more than you would on a normal day at the office resulting in very tired feet!!! The cobblestones don't help either :)

A Day Trip to Kutna Hora - Outside Prague

by Glen30

As most of the shops were closed on 25th and 26th December, we decided to take a guided day trip to Kutna-Hora which lies outside Prague. It is about 60km east of Prague.

Kutna Hora is a picturesque medieval town which is also part of UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage. Known as the second most important town in Bohemia after Prague, the city was famous due to its prosperous silver mining.

You will get the chance to visit the unqiue Gothic St. Barbara Cathedral, Italian Court, Ossuary and the Gothic Fountain.

There are many local tour agencies offering trips to Kutna Hora and I found numerous tour operators in Wenceslas Square.

It's worth visiting.

Permanent Exhibition of Asian Art

by Zuzka

More than a thousand artifacts from all over Asia, especially from Japan, China, Southeast Asia...
If you know these countries well, this exhibition is probably not for you, but for the others (like me) this is a good initiation to Asian art.

Opening hours: daily except Mondays from 10 am to 6 pm.
Transport: Zbraslav Chateau (10 km south of the city center), metro: B line - Smichovske nadrazi and from there bus no. 129, 241, 243 to Zbraslav.
If you want to eat somewhere around, go to Barabizna restaurant (in front of the castle park).

Comments