Euroagentur Art Hotel Embassy

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Prague

Zlata ulicka - Golden Lane, PragueZlata ulicka - Golden Lane, Prague

Kampa - Museum of Modern Art  Jan and Meda MladekKampa - Museum of Modern Art Jan and Meda Mladek

Street scenesStreet scenes

Prague - Czech RepublicPrague - Czech Republic

Predhradi

by KingfisherOK

I'm planning a trip to the Czech Republic this summer. The house where my great-grandmother was born is in Predhradi and I would like to visit on this trip. Google Maps tells me that Predhradi is 153 KM east of Prague. What is my best option for transportation for a day trip from Prague?

by Gili_S

I guess bus is the option. You can check it here: http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz

by GyuriFT

This is luckily very close to Kolin.

See the railway map:

Looking at more detailed map going to Kolin is probably better - than take a bus.

Other option is to de-train somewhat earlier at Nová Ves u Kolina or at Velim and take a taxi.

In the theory you can even walk from Velim, about 3 miles north and maybe 4 miles on the road 38 north from Nová Ves u Kolina. In that case I would just take a taxi if there is no bus or ask someone local to give me a lift (I am rude maybe).

Finding a taxi in Kolin is for sure easier - but usually in smaller towns there is always a taxi at the station if the train arrives. Of course, don't expect them to speak English.

by GyuriFT

Gili_S, there are so many trains between Prague a Kolín - it will be very easy. I see some train almost every 10-20 minutes, all "R" or "Eurocity" trains. Price is the same, travel time 37 - 44 minutes, costs a mighty 3.4 Euro / $4.5

by Gili_S

That's why I gave the link, you can check all your options, trains or buses, but for a tourist, sometime boarding a bus and tell the driver where you want to get off is simple and easy. One hour more or less does not matter if you can relax on the ride and enjoy the view :)

by GyuriFT

Thanks Gili_S - the link you provide gives some more hints. OP needs to be careful - there are two of Predhradi, one is next to Zďárec u Skutce. Confusing is, they are not very far from each other. Looking at the http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz in detail I think now it's the one close to Zďárec u Skutce, not the one I wrote about first.

by GyuriFT

Better (no UTF-16 characters heree): "Zdarec u Skutce"

by xymmot

You can always rent a car for the day. Is it possible? Cheers Tommy x

by KingfisherOK

Thanks for pointing out that there are two Predhradis. I just assumed it was the one near Skutec but now that I know there are two, I believe the one near Kolin is the correct Predhradi. I will have to do some more research to make sure. If this is true, travelling from Prague should be much easier.

Travel Tips for Prague

DO Drink the Tap Water!

by Kaspian

God, I'm so thirsty! It's sunny and about 30C (86F) outside and we just walked up a giant hill to get to Prague Castle. I enter one of the public bathrooms inside the castle and cup some tap water into my hands and cautiously take a sip. With that, I dunk my entire head under the running faucet and drink furiously. Unbelievable--the water here is beautiful! It tastes so clean that it has a slightly sweet flavour to it. There's no hint of chlorine, fluoride, metal, plastic or any of the other things that get put into drinking water. I don't think I've ever gulped down so much water in one go. Only once in my life I've tasted water as nice as this and that was from a isolated spring in an forest in Quebec, Canada.
Afterwards, I throw all tourist-caution to the wind and drink tap water exclusively every chance I get during my vacation. When I mention how amazing the water is to some of my Czech drinking buddies they say, "Of course it is! Didn't you know this? That's why our beer is so good--because of the water."
Some Prague "factsheets" say: "The water supply in Prague is safe to drink, however you may prefer bottled water for reasons of taste." The second part of this statement is an absolute lie! The bottle does not taste better than the tap here--it's the other way around.
So If you drink bottled water in Prague, not only are you being environmentally unfriendly, wasting money, and being slightly foolish, but you're missing out on some of the nicest-tasting water this planet has to offer!

Relax for a while if the train gets delayed.

by imran8852

Going back home and the train gets delayed for minutes or hours? No ideas of place to relax while waiting? Make your way to Praha Holesovice's Waiting Lounge & Information Counter! They have a nice coffee vending machine, place to relax and an Information counter to inquire anything from arrivals/departure and more. Cheap cigarettes, coffee, souvenirs & Friendly people.

becherovka custom

by elfarran

when you're in a brewery, they automatically bring you a glass of becherovka (one for each beer you ordered), they add it to the bill and if you refuse, they insist that is a "custom and you should drink". Actually, the guy on "U Fleku" has insisted too much and we have to buy one glass. Next time, i will ask for the jacket of the waiter ("the becherovka guy" of U Fleku), i will pour becherovka on it and burn it! Yeah, it is "custom" on my country!

Packing List

by chrissyalex

Be sure to bring comfortable shoes with thick soles. Prague is best seen on foot and many streets are cobblestoned. It is very beautiful, but can be murder on your feet if you do not wear the right shoes. Bring LOTS of film, this is one of the prettiest cities I have ever seen!!! I strongly advise to bring a really nice guide book. There are so many gorgeous buildings and you will wonder what they are and the history behind them. I brought two, Lonely Planet and The Eyewitness Guide to Prague. The Eyewitness one was particulary helpful to me for this reason, since it has the sections of the city broken down and has many descriptive maps and TONS of pictures. I also brought the Insight Prague map. These maps are really nice, and are lamenated too!

The Patron and defender of Charles Bridge

by globetrott

Almost at the end of Charles Bridge (Mala Strana-side), on the left, you may see a statue of a knight named Bruncvik.
His statue is not built directely on the bridge, like all the others, but it was built a bit outside
of the bridge, on a small tower.
The legend tells, that the magic sword of Bruncvik was buried under the foundations of
Charles Bridge in order to push away all evil from it.

Comments