Hotel Christie

Kaspian's Profile Photo

Hotel Christie

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 6, 2008

I love Prague! I love this hotel!
Upon arrival, I do what I always do and open the windows to check the view and let in some air. The renovations of this hotel are so new that the freshly painted windows stick together momentarily and I have to give them a small shove. The view isn't so great--the window looks into a central area where all I can see is other rooms' windows.
The building of Hotel Christie is obviously old (a heritage building I would think), but the renovations they've done here are major. Looking around I realize that I am likely the very first person to ever stay in this room. Everything's new--the bed, curtains, carpeting, furniture, wide-screen flat-panel television, bathroom tiles, shower, linen, sink, toilet, towels, bar fridge... Sweet! It feels like I'm staying in some really swanky joint. The only thing I can find in this hotel that looks antiquated is a gorgeous, large marble staircase that has that beautiful slightly sandy smell that only old marble gives off.
Breakfast is good except most mornings I seem to miss out on the eggs. Looking around I can see that everyone else has eggs except for me and I give the people who took more than their share dirty looks. Anyway, I load up on other things--cereal, bagels, toast, sausage, cold cuts, cheese, fruit, and coffee.
The location of Hotel Christie is absolutely perfect! Although there is a slightly sketchy square that you have to walk by where men drink from paper bags, the hotel is within a 5-minute walk to Wenceslas Square and within 10 minutes of the old town. My favourite part of the location is that although it's within easy walking distance from the attractions, the neighbourhood it's in is not touristy at all. There are lots of little pubs and restaurants around the block which are frequented only by Czechs. Great places to meet locals!
The front desk staff was very helpful whenever I had a question. They didn't act overly friendly, but it's understandable because they all appeared a bit stressed and overwhelmed by learning their new jobs.
The only thing I really didn't like was when some crusty, old Italian lady guests were the blocking centre of the lobby entrance forcing me to go around them where I ended up walking full-length into a highly polished glass door. Luckily, the glass didn't break but I hurt my knee, almost broke my nose, and left a face imprint on the door which stayed there the entire day (it looked a little like the Shroud of Turin.) That glass should be marked with decals or something!
My friends and I got an amazing, cheap rate on this hotel because we were there the week it opened--although it was a bit touch-and-go there for awhile whether it would even ready by the time we got there. Rates are much more expensive now.

Dabs's Profile Photo

New hotel in the center

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 1, 2008

Hotel Christie is a new hotel, opened in May 2008, located just steps away from the Narodni Trida metro station and a very large Tesco supermarket. It was close enough to walk to Wenceslas Square and to the old town. We paid 85E per night through www.booking.com, I recently saw the same price on the hotel's direct website.

A buffet breakfast was included in the rate, scrambled eggs, bacon, pastries, fruit, coffee, tea, juice, cereal, yogurt, bread.

I inquired about parking and it was a whopping 30E per day, a taxi to the airport was listed as 750kc which was at least 150kc higher than what I believe is a standard fare.

Unique Quality: Room-the hotel is newly renovated so the paint was fresh and I think we might have been the 1st to use our room. The beds were very firm but not uncomfortable. There's an in room safe and a minibar

Bathroom-we had a bathtub and a hand held shower, the 1st night we didn't have a shower curtain which was quickly remedied the next day when they saw the soaking wet bathroom. That was really my only complaint with the room, if they had put the shower higher up on the wall instead of thigh high, I could have taken a real shower. There was shampoo, bath gel and soap and a hair dryer.

Of the two hotels we stayed at, I'd give a slight edge to Hotel Amarilis because I felt like the staff tried harder and was friendlier, the bed was more comfortable and the showerhead was over my head. The only thing I liked better about the Hotel Christie was the location right next to the metro if you are coming in via public transportation from the airport.

And I'm still not sure, but I think they overcharged us on the conversion between Euros and Czech crowns, I'm still looking into it.

Directions: Just steps away from the Narodni Trida metro station

8 Photos of Hotel Christie

Prague Travel Forum

Need advice about Prague, Czech Republic? Visit the Travel Forum for Prague and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Prague hotel reviews

Mercure Centre
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
U Zlute Boty (The Yellow Shoe)
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

The Astronomical Clock.
The castle.
Kutna Hora.
Off The Beaten Path
A good place to have breakfast.
Restaurants
A small place in the city center.