Hotel Lysiny

Pod Lysinami 1, Prague, Bohemia, 14700, Czech Republic

More about Hotel Lysiny

Paris.

by richiecdisc

Paris exudes romance. You just can’t help it. The candle lit restaurants, small cafes, and even the sites are tinged with warm feelings. First glimpses of Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tower, and Sacre Coeur let you know you are in this special place and the bustle in the streets give you a sense of being anonymous that lends to leisurely strolls and warm embraces.

This is one place that being with a girl was better than slumming it with your college buddy. My second time around with Kristin was much better and found out truly how Paris is indeed the city of love. Having arrived in town on a night train from Amsterdam, early in the morning, we ventured off to the St. Michael Hotel in the Sorbonne district only to find it fully booked. Just across the street was a more dilapidated one but it had rooms free and we just wanted to get rid of our backpacks at that point. And that the rooms with private bath were the same price as those without across the street, we jumped at it. Of course, it was on the top floor, probably the fifth or something ridiculous like that, and in Europe they don’t count the first floor! And with no elevators, we trudged up flight after flight of stairs until we came upon this tiny little room, with an even smaller private bath. The bed stuck out right away, bowing like a hammock. We just had to laugh, and try it out. But of all our rooms, we probably spent more time in there than any. We spent a week in Paris, and though we saw the major sights, we finally took some time for each other too, the sun glistening through the balconied window on our big bowed bed.

"Keep walking that way" (Prague, November 2010)"Keep walking that way" (Prague, November 2010)

John Lennon WallJohn Lennon Wall

Old town square / Staromestske namestiOld town square / Staromestske namesti

Prague castle in winterPrague castle in winter

Vegetarian Hotels

by YousufA

I would take a leisure trip to Prague next year probably in April. Well since I'm a Muslim I can't eat any non-vegetarian food unless it's Halal certified. Now I don't think I'll be able to find Halal certified food in Prague so I may have to manage with vegetarian food. So I want to know in which areas of Prague is vegetarian food very easy to find. I'm going to stay in Rocco Forte Augustine Hotel in Mala Strana. Are there vegetarian hotels in the vicinity?
Please give a detailed reply.
Thanks.

by stevemt

There is at least one halal restaurant in prague

Himalaya Restaurant
Last Updated: 2009-11-04
Address: Himalaya Restaurant
Mikovcova 7, Prague 2,,
Prague, , CZECH REPUBLIC
Phone: 224 -231 581
Directions: Go stright to bridge and inside the Macdonald you find this Halal restaurant.
General Information: Halal Restaurant

by chrisbilal

Check this link - it lists 12 in Prague

by unaS

The Happy Cow has 24 vegetarian restaurants, veg-friendly restaurants and health stores listed:

Prague TV has 3 Halal restaurants listed:

by ViajesdelMundo

here's someone on Virtual Tourist who posts some info:

and here's a map: http://www.zabihah.com/sp.php?l=Praha%201,%20Hlavn%AD%20m%9Bsto%20Praha
(this may be the same link that someone else already listed)

by YousufA

Thanks a lot everyone.
If anyone of you gets more info on the availability of Vegetarian restaurant, please do post it on this thread. That would be great!

by JessH

We just returned from Prague last week (I don't eat meat, my husband does) and we found that most restaurants offer a variety of vegetarian dishes on their menu, so we didn't find the need to search for purely vegetarian restaurants.
we enjoyed:
Cheese platters
Mushroom soup
Cabbage pancakes
Potato dumplings
Fresh pastas (Italian)
Vegetable stew, etc.

and as I understand it, in general fish is halal anyway, isn't it? There are also a lot of fish dishes available.

Enjoy your time in Prague!
Jess :-)

by Tracyden

I am vegetarian - I didn't stay in a vegetarian hotel but the breakfast provided was so varied that we ate very well - cereals, bread cheese, eggs(if you eat them) pancakes, fruit, yoghurts - we certainly didn't go hungry.

Although the traditional food in Prague seemed very meat based I managed to eat well in both veggie and non veggie venues. Bohemia Bagel served a great tofu baguette and was great value - check out my Prague page for restaurant reviews on veggie restaurants Clear Head and Maitrea.

Hope you have a great time - I'm sure you'll eat well.

Travel Tips for Prague

The Czech Republic and Prague's History

by Marpessa

Prague has an extensive and rich history. So for anyone who is a history buff like me, then you will love Prague. Not to mention the history of the Czech Republic itself, a country that has in the past century been invaded, conquered and divided in many different aspects (geographically and politically).

Prague's history comes from a legend where it was founded in the 7th Century, but according to archaeologists there has been some kind of community here since around 4000BC. But moving forward a few millennia, Prague has seen many wars or battles, like the Hussite rebellion in the 15th Century, WWI (where the then 'Czechoslovakia' declared its independence at the end of the war), WWII - where Germany overtook the Sudetenland and the rest of the country. It is from here that the shape of Prague has changed drastically in the past century, as a majority of Prague's Jewish population and their intellectuals (who were in the Czech resistance) were destroyed by the Nazi's. On the 8th of May 1945, there was an uprising and the Germans were kicked out of Prague.

From there Czechoslovakia has been busy. After WWII, Czechoslovakia once again had its independence, and there was much dispute over communism versus socialism. The communist party held office in Czechoslovakia (and therefore Prague) from 1948-1989.

An important date in Prague and the Republics recent history is the 17th of November, 1989. This was the start of the Velvet Revolution - a peaceful resistance and demonstration, where the people rose up and protested against the Communist government. The government was then overthrown, and a democratic government was initiated, with the communist party in the minority. In 1993 Czechoslovakia was split in two (by agreement of Czech and Slovak leaders), becoming the Czech Republic and Slovakia, as we know it today. Prague was then made the capital of the Czech Republic. Until going on one of my tours in Prague - I had never heard of the 'Velvet Revolution'. In just the two days I was in Prague I learnt a fair bit about the country and its history. There is so much that this country and its people have gone through. I really recommend learning about some of the city and its history before coming here, or take a guided tour while you are here.

the Chech language

by Hildeal

To me as a Norwegian this language is almost impossible to learn, It's hard to pronounce the words correctly.

Some words like Dobriden (Good day) and the word for Thank(Dekuij) is usefull

a funny sentence without a single vocal is this "strc prst skrz krk" meaning stick your fingers in the trouth

Money

by Leipzig

The official currency in Prague, as well as in the entire Czech Republic is Koruna. However, it is no problem to pay in some malls, restaurants and hotels with EURO. But better ask before you find out this store where you are don't take Euro.

The Dancing House (Tancici dum)

by Lilasel

The name refers to the fact that the design of this building was inspired by the dancing team Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. Built between 1992-1996.
Now it's the ING Netherlands Bank Building.

Address: Praha 2, Rasinovo nabr. 80