Hotel Metamorphis

Mala Stupartska 5/636, Tyn/Ungelt Square, Prague, Bohemia, 110 00, Czech Republic

Metamorphis
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 24% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• cblanc9's Profile Photo

Great Location

So close to everything. Prague was small & walkable. Great bars behind hotel. Chateau Bar & Marquis De Sade. Nice staff. Some waiters weren't as friendly as others. But most waiters weren't friendly in Prague. I would stay there again. Internet in the lobby. Two restaurants. A dressier one downstairs. Maid's are very nice & helpfull.

Unique Quality: We had a triple room. A lovely large apartment. Great bathroom. Dinning room and very large living area/bathroom. Our view was of St. Tyne. A gorgous gothic church.

Directions: Old Town Square

• Lovely hotel in centre of Prague

The Hotel Metamorphis is just a couple of minutes walk away from the Old Town Square. The room we stayed in was lovely with beautiful views of the Church in the Old Town Square.The staff were very friendly and helpful, food was good too. Highly recommended

• freshmaker's Profile Photo

Hotel Metamorphis

Pretty reasonable rates, around 70 euro a night, plus I stayed one night free.

Unique Quality: Perfect location (right behind Tyn Cathedral), great rooms, stylish, very comfortable, in fact the nicest room I have ever stayed in (suits my tastes perfectly). Only complaint is that the walls are a bit thin, could hear fellow guests at times.

Directions: Ungelt, right next to Tyn Cathedral (check the view from my room).

Malá Štupartská 5/636
    Týnský dvùr
    110 00 Praha 1

More about Hotel Metamorphis

pleasant place and very nice help

by TripAdvisor Member jmills10

I had never been to Prague and worked several hours in finding a good hotel. I was not disapointed. Great location and for a few more dollars we chose the larger room with sitting area. We had a very large bathroom. tub and shower seperate. First of all hotels in the Prague center are expensive but the food and everthing else is resonable to cheap so do not go to cheap on a hotel in this city. There was a large breakfast buffet FREE!! I eat very little in the morning but I will say many people there were eating so much as to get their full hotel price. Either was the hotel employees were glad to help out in anyway possible. I had arranged transportation to the hotel and back to the airport. When the car did not show up to pick us up the desk help arranged for a taxi and offered us coffee or soda as we waited. I really thought it was a great place and at times it was noisy at night but Prague is so overly visited that this is something you have to accept.
Great hotel!!

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member scourge6

My wife and I stayed in room 42 which was large, comfortable and with a great view over the square. The staff were helpful, particularly the receptionists, who were excellent. The hotel location couldn't be better.
We will definitely stay here again on our next visit to Prague (if we can get room 42).
Only complaint and it wouldn't stop us staying there again was that the towels supplied were incredibly small.

Bring ear plubs!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Crusher

My wife and I have just returned from a 4 night stay in Hotel Metamorphis and what a range of emotions!! A very pleasant flight was followed by catching one of the white shuttle buses to the Hotel (very easy to do & reasonable at 16 euro). We were nicely greeted upon arrival by the always polite hotel staff & shown Room 35 on 3rd floor. Stunning room, no two ways about it. Lots of space, wooden beams aplenty, classic decor... first impression was YESSSS!!! So let's focus on the positives: stunning rooms (classic style yet with modern showers etc.), very polite hotel staff (offered us an umbrella one of the nights without us asking for it, kept our luggage safe after we checked out), superb location for basing the many wonderful walks we had. Restaurant does a mean pizza & tasty pasta dishes! The Cathedral overlooking the square is incredible at night (the turrets light up orange, it could be a scene from a Disney movie!). BUT BOY OH BOY IS IT THE NOISIEST HOTEL WE HAVE EVER STAYED. I remember reading the recent review from a gentleman on Trip Advisor warning against this but we went on 2 recommendations of people who stayed here and accentuated the positives above (both stayed off season is all we can imagine). The square is a through fare at night for throngs of stag / hen / local party-goers which lasts well into the early hours of the am. The bin collection (1am the second night) is like ten samba bands at full kilter. And to cap off our misery, there is renovation / construction work in an adjoining building which starts at 7am - shards of concrete being dropped down a chute is your wake up call. We asked to be moved to a quiet room at the front of the hotel after night one but this exacerbated the Square noise though the view was stunning of the Cathedral. And before you think we're cranks, we really are not - that's why I list all the good stuff above. A group of 4 who checked in to two rooms on our floor banged windows in vain and promptly checked out the next morning. We purchased ear plugs and this brought some relief for nights 3 & 4. So in summary - super hotel, but shocking noise and at the standard room rate of 210 euro we would urge you to consider Hotel Aria or other alternatives. This saddens me to say because the staff and romance of the Metamorphis by day won our hearts initially. Great city...

fantastic location

by TripAdvisor Member wuzArt

I arranged my best friends stag doo in Prague a couple of years ago, and I chose the Metamorphis on recomendation from a work colleague. But first off I want to point out that even though we were a group of 7 lads hovering on the turn of 30 at the time, we wouldn't say that we fitted in with the usual 'stag crowd'. i.e. we were worried that Prague was beginning to fill up with rowdy stags and hens and we didn't want to be tarred with the same brush. Don't get me wrong we were far from prudish, and we had our moments, but in general we wanted to sample an elegant city whilst at the same time having a right good laugh - without chanting football songs or draping England towels out of the window (the fact that most of us are welsh probably had something to do with that!).
Anyway, to the point of this review. The location of the Metamorphis is by far and away the best feature of this hotel - you couldn't HOPE to choose a better hotel as it's slap bang in the middle of the old town district. Only a 10 minute walk and we'd made our way past the (g)astronimical clock - which is a bit of a let down to say the least, down the winding cobbled streets and were met with the most amazing sunset view of the castle over charles bridge - it was amazing.
Likewise, if you turn the other way out of the hotel, you end up within 10 minutes near Wenceslas Square. We didn't venture this way much as the beer prices were more expensive and it seemed a bit 'plastic', i.e. too touristy, but we loved in and around old town square - and the best places for cheap beer are on the backstreets where we were paying as low as 40 a bottle! Even right on the old town square itself, we were being 'ripped off' if we paid more than about £1.20 for a pint!! In fact during our 4 day stay here, we couldn't spend all our cash - I ended up on the last day parading Charles Bridge and buying drawings and photographs because I still had money left!
As for some of the other reviews about this hotel on this site, I'm afraid because we were a stag group we never experienced any noise as we didn't get back to the hotel until about 6am every morning. But I will agree that the staff there are exceptional - very friendly and helpful. Obviously getting to bed at such an unearthly hour meant that we never sampled breakfast once, but we did eat lunch in the outdoor restaurant and the food was excellent. And yes, at night the square it is located on is beautiful, but we didn't notice it being used as a stag/hen thoroughfare, although it was a few years ago and I believe Prague has been overtaken somewhate now.
I was so taken with Prague and the hotel that I'm intending to visit with my (then) wife in feb'06. Obviously this is a different season to when I first visited, but we're hoping for a romantic break so will write another review if and when we visit (unless we opt for Talin in Estonia).

All in all a fantastic time, and remember one thing - please don't assume that all stags parties are leery louts. Some of us are merely a group of best friends...

Metamorphis Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Wanderlust2

If you are looking for a hotel with really good comforts, typical 17th Century Prague architecture and close to Old Town Square and which wont break your budget then this is the hotel for you.

The Hotel is very well located in the cobbled courtyard 50 metres walk away from the Old Town Square. It has an excellent pizza restaurant attached which has an open air veranda. The rooms are excellent. Our was a huge room with marble floor, a giant bathroom and an outside table on the balcony overlooking the inner courtyard.

The breakfast room is deep down in the cellar, very atmospheric. The only downside is that becaues it is located so close to the Square it is inevitably next door to a couple of lively bars. That said the customers left them on closing without too much noise and caused us no disturbance.

Recommended.

Excellent Location,Romantic Hotel

Myself and my wife have just returned from a 3 night break in prague and what a fantastic time we had. We could not have chosen a nicer or better located hotel than this hotel. At approx €180 a night for B&B in a 4**** hotel in the centre of a major city, I think represents very good value.We had a driver waiting for us at the airport which the hotel arranged (€27 maybe a bit on the xpensive side).The room we had was something. I had booked a double room but on arrival we were given what I would describe as a 1 bed apartment (room 21). it had its own kitchen with double doors which open on to a huge room with couches,double bed, the lot. The bathroom with bath and shower was nearly the same size as a bedroom I stayed at in Paris. It had 4 large windows (2 at front ,2 at side) overlooking the courtyard. Leave open while in, during the day and listen to the buzz outside,fantastic. To say we were gobsmacked with this room is an understatement. Reading reviews about the noise at night all I can say is,this hotel in smack bang in the middle of prague with a coulple of nearby bars etc, and in my opinion can only be expected. We were aware of this before hand so it not bother us.(mind you we did have a few beers on us coming back around 2am).If you are into going to bed early i suggest a quieter part of the hotel if there is one. I heard the bin trucks on 2 mornings around 7.0am but only lasted about 15mins. (maybe double glazing would help)The hotel staff were very friendly and polite and most helpful.We had dinner on the last night down in the cellar restaurant with a really romantic setting and a pianist playing in the backround.The food was excellent but not on the cheap side. we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would definitley recommend it.

Convenient, Comfortable, and Classy

by TripAdvisor Member NaMakani

The Metamorphis is a convenient, comfortable, and classy beautique hotel. My wife and I stayed here for five nights during our trip to Eastern Europe (8/23-8/28/05) and we recommend it highly.

The hotel has an excellent location in a charming little square 100 meters from Old Market Square. The rooms are above a small restaurant of the same name, and have recently been completely refurbished and upgraded. Ours (#59) was on the top floor and overlooked a small inner courtyard where guests and residents parked. There was a tiny elevator that eliminated the need to carry luggage up most stairs, though it stopped at a landing that was a couple of small steps lower than the level of our room. We had a peakaboo view of the spires of the cathedral in the main square over the tiled rooftops of the old town area – very charming. Other rooms must look out over the small square or the main street bordering it. The room was very large and tastefully decorated, with open beam ceiling and a beautiful hardwood floor. We had a dormer with a pair of french windows, and the dormer also provided an area for a desk and credenza. Adjacent to the area containing the bed was a sitting area with a small sofa and coffee table, and on the wall opposite was a minibar/tv stand. A very adequate-sized armoire was next to the entry door. All the furniture was tasteful, attractive, and comfortable. The double bed was actually two twins next to each other (a common practice in Eastern Europe), and was firm and comfortable. The room had air conditioning, though we didn’t need it.

The bathroom was charming. It shared the same open beam ceiling with the rest the unit, and also had a smaller dormer window. It was beautifully tiled floor to ceiling, and the brand new fixtures were clearly top quality. There was plenty of shelf/storage space and the lighting was excellent. The shower was a typical European corner model, but was fairly large for this type of arrangement.

Our breakfast buffet was in the cozy hotel restaurant, which was also tastefully decorated (it, too, had obviously been recently remodeled). The buffet selection was extensive and included some cooked dishes as well as fresh fruit, cereal, several kinds of baked goods, yoghurt, cold cuts, and cheese.

In all , we enjoyed the Metamorphis very much and we would certainly stay there again. Though it was a bit more expensive than some other alternatives, it seemed a good value given the location and the comfort.

Comments