Karlova 6, Praha 1, Prague, 110 00, Czech Republic

Rated 16% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Hotel U Zlateho Stromu

U ZLATEHO STROMU

by yasi about U ZLATEHO STROMU

cheap great and delicious food with in lovely atmosphere.Near the karlov most(charles bridge) Everything is great but try pateto soup.One of the best in town.

Very comfortable

by joebarcas about Hotel U Zlateho Stromu

Kind of hard to categorize. A mix of Czech and international foods. I have to say, I had the best duck I ever had here. Prices range from cheap (pizza for $3) to moderate for Prague (I think my duck was about $10) You can sit outside or inside (just across the street in the hotel)

"Golden Tree"

by Lejla06 about U Zlateho Stromu

Ive put adult spot down, as this bar/club has a strip club section - just so there will be no confussion when you get in and spot them... for those that are interested, the strip club area is located near the first bar you come to, and has 6 girls dancing at once. There is no "room service" or private dances available here however

To the right of the main bar, down some stairs, and past some seating is the club area. Its very much designed in an 80s new york disco stylee - lit up tiles, strobe lights, lasers, stainless steel and a big bar. Its open until 6am, so attracts a mixture of tourists, Czech people, and bar staff who have just finished work and want to wind down with some drinking and dancing.

There is a restaurant next door which is part of the same place, mainly serving pizza, and is open for the duration the club is. It charges slightly more than most restaurants as its the only place in the area open and serving food late at night.

However, there are some reports that when people are a bit worse for wear, the barstaff supplement their income by charging double for the beer (it is meant to be 25kc) so if you do get a bit tipsy, try not to pay too much Try not to look too scruffy, but none as a rule

Prague, from Prague

by johngayton

"Hi"

If you've caught this page without going thro my HP, then this intro may be a little confusing: so let me do an intro to the intro -

I only joined VT about 3 months ago and am now an addict!! Serious Big Time Addict! Hmmmm, and here I am in a foreign land with a VT head and a digital camera and looking at place from a different viewpoint than I would normally do - before VT I would just visit somewhere, meet people, enjoy myself and then bore all my mates down pub with my experiences - AND THEN HERE IS VT - it doesn't stop me going down pub .......... and etc.....but gives me an addition to that (when I get back home!) .

As a new addict, whilst in Prague, - what I found myself doing was dropping into VT most days, after breakfast, and started the blog below. I fully intended on return to wipe it and do a proper (??) Prague intro - but have decided to leave blog as intro now -

Does this make anything clearer?

UPDATE: Back from Prague, but not quite sure what to do with this blog - I am tempted just to leave it as it is and put all info into tips, any suggestions?

Yep, decided - will just do a little tidying up of the blog and that wil be that, TX Katherine:)

(Written 3rd to 10th October 2005)
Am actually in Prague at the moment, having just arrived last night, so these are just quick notes, as much for my own benifit as anyone elses - will write things up properly on return along with pics.

Smooth journey, flight fine (CZA not as good as Malev though - bit more cramped, but comfortable enough). Transfer into city no probs - 119 bus to metro then into museum stop, would have been less than 5 mins walk to hotel but got sort of lost and so took about 45!

Hotel lives up to expectations - excellent service so far.

All for now - off to visit castle, then trawl a few bars!

Cheers, John.

Day 2 - Sore Feet - Had fascinating visit to Prague Castle - going back again today. It is virtually impossible to do justice to it in one day, which is why, I presume, the ticket is valid for 2 days. The Great South Tower at St Vitus almost killed me, all 287 steps, but the view from top is worth the climb, but even better is coming down and listening to the moans and groans of those coming up - "Is it much further yet?"
One wag coming down said to a couple going up - "It's Closed!!"
That amused me - especially the aghast look on their faces - and then the look of sheer relief when told that he was only joking.

Decent dinner at Black Baron - not found a decent bar yet - and only got lost twice - good job Metro is easy to navigate!

"Decent Bar Looming"

Day 3 - Revisited Castle, going on from where I left off, took in Royal Palace - the History of Prague Castle is really fascinating. Then The National Gallery - fascinating pair of sculptures by a guy called Braun - Judas and John - but then art critique is not my thing, will flesh out later.

Did rest of castle tour, finishing with Golden Lane - decent lunch at Poet's Cafe about 6 quid for pasta with julienne of fillet steak and a beer - nice little tranquil cafe within the castle grounds.

Found a little bar that evening, just up from hotel, just sat and had a few beers - went to pay the bill and barman says: "4 beers?"
Me, only 4 beers!!
I wasn't counting but suggested it was 6 - so we settled at 5! More later, when tip is written up.

Caught a bit of excellent Jazz at Lucerna (George Mraz Quartet) then ended up a an Irish bar called Rocky O'Reilly's - strange scenario: Scotsman in Irish Bar, in middle of Prague, staying in Austrian-owned hotel, smoking French Tobacco (bought in The Netherlands) and having chat with English barman - how decidedly European!

Let's get this Euro thing done - it will make life so much easier and we will build a special little island for the xenophobes ( and Sun Readers )where the pound will always be! in a very small corner of a foreign land which will be forever England, best of luck!!!

Total Slob day today - resting feet - didn't get up till gone 2pm then a good hour or so soak in bath (with a beer!) Gotta suss out last night's bar, CYA later.

"Hotel and Bar"

This hotel amazes me. As I said, ad a slob day yesterday, didn't leave my room till gone 4 in afternoon. Popped into the little bar, Demijon, that I discovered yesterday to be instantly recognised by barman (owner?) - conversation involved Pivo somewhere and me nodding - but more later. Popped back to hotel on way to search out dinner and my room had been made up - they must have had someone checking at regular intervals waiting to pounce on the unmade bed as soon as my back was turned!

Pleasant evening out, Duck, Dumplings and Cabbage at little restaurace in Malo Stranka(?), An eccentic mix of music at Lucerna, small profit at Casino and a bit of fun with the street girls;).

Didn't even get lost once today.

Heading for hills now - later. LOL

Day 4 - Oh Dear - seems I hosted small party last night - the minibar is almost empty and the room is "rock starred"! Have to have quick tidy up before the chamber maids arrive (or leave the "Do Not Disturb" sign out until checkout on Monday). Had such a healthy start as well - up before 8 am and off to Petrin Hill just after 9 - nice healthy lunch (spinach pancakes) at cafe slovakia(?)..........a beer here, a beer there, ended up at
Demijon - perfect example of non-verbal communication: walk in door and the landlord has beer in front of me before I've even arrived at bar - can't actually remember leaving, or paying my bar bill or much else............hmmmmmmmmmm.

Another espresso required - 'til tomorrrow, John.

Ish!!! czech keyboard - so punctuation may be ~ not very good (ie up to my usual standards) Ha ;)

Bar bill was paid at Demijon and so am "persona grata" but only for a couple tonight, life begins at midnight!!! Camera burnt out, hopefully card not, but first card (380 pics) will be OK. Cheers All, Soonest, John

Sunday evening - last full day in Prague, fly out tommorrow evening. Holidays are always too short, just as you start getting the feel of a place it is time to leave:( Nice relaxing Sunday - walk down the river (all level going!!), couple of beers, pizza lunch on the terrace at U Zlateho Stromu - not in mood for dumplings. Bought new camera, hopefully old one still on card insurance as is less than 100 days old!! (though the use it has had it probably feels 100 years old!) memory card OK, phew! Evening planned (but that's a tale for elsewhere not VT ;)) - Steed definitely staying in wardrobe tonight , hehe.

And here we are Monday morning - melancholia setting in big time - I could quite happily phone home and give some "cock and bull" excuse for staying another week (or two ........... or three ..............) - Let me try this one: - "I've run up this huge bar bill and the Czech Police won't let me leave the Country until it's been paid off and they insist that I work it off, which may take some time!!" It's sort of believable, don't you think?

Aye, it's been one cracking week and yet only scratched the surface of Prague - still a zillion and one things that I could do, places to visit, and I'm sure, people to meet. this time tomorrow I'll be uploading the 600+ photos I've taken here and start sorting through them (that's the rest of the month gone already).

See you all back on the moor, and Steed says: FREEDOM!!!

The pageboy showThe pageboy show

Wenceslas SquareWenceslas Square

THE CHURCH OF OUR LADY BEFORE TYNTHE CHURCH OF OUR LADY BEFORE TYN

Martin in front of Petrin TowerMartin in front of Petrin Tower

BUS AT TEREZIN

by packtarl

Further to my last question I have now checked the bus times etc. but do the buses go to the memorial on arrival at Terezin or do you have to find your way ?

Re: BUS AT TEREZIN

by nicolaitan

as i recall, the bus goes to the center of the village which is the same as the large fortress. the small fortress is far more interesting, where the tours are given, and that probably is about a 10 minute walk from the center. i read somewhere that the distance is only 300m but it seems like it would be a lot longer.

the crematorium and memorial cemeteries are a much longer walk in the opposite direction.

Travel Tips for Prague

The Italian Quarter

by globetrott

Just below the right side of Charles Bridge, close to the Hotel "U Tri Pstrosu" and the small canal leading to the Kampa-waterwheel, you may see this italian streetname on a housewall.In these streets the first italian artists setteled in the 16th century ( close to the palace & cathedral, where they produced their works of art)
This area is next to "Prague Venice" - a small part of " Certovka " , a side-canal of the river Moldau / Vltava and plenty of romatic restaurants directely at the river.

Comments