Hotel Waldstein Prague

Rated 11% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Waldstein Prague

Great character

by TripAdvisor Member EmmaTravel

We stayed at the Hotel Waldstein for 4 nights in September 05 for our 1st wedding anniversary and had a wonderful stay. Booked through Easyjet hotels and paid £100 a night, rather expensive but enjoyed ourselves there.
We were worried by reviews on this site but they proved unfounded. We had a lovely room on the top floor, really large with a separate bathroom off a small entrance hallway.
Breakfast was in a beautiful room downstairs and we would recommend this hotel.
Very easy to walk to all attractions in Prague but in a quiet area.

Bumped!

by TripAdvisor Member Joanypony

We booked the Waldstein for 3 nights - chose it because of its quiet location in Mala Strana - well away from the bustle of the Old/New Town in central Prague. Furthermore, I asked for a quiet room. On arrival from our train journey from Budapest around 5pm - the young receptionist told us the hotel was overbooked and they had booked us into another 4* hotel nearby and handed me a bottle of Bohemia sparkling wine to say sorry. All this was said both without a smile or the least impression of interest. She called us a taxi and said we could wait in the lobby and closed the door on us so that she could get on with her chat with her girlfriend who was sitting in the reception office with her.
When we got to the new hotel, we discovered it was on Karlova with a lap dancing disco in the basement which "raged until 6am" daily (as Lonely Planet puts it). Two other guests at the same hotel were also bumped by Waldstein - given different reasons to us - none of us slept more than a couple of hours per night.
BEWARE OF THE WALDSTEIN - as you may be bumped!!!

Charming and comfortable hotel, excellent value

I booked a 5-night single-room stay through hotels. At first, I felt a little apprehensive about using a 3d party booking service, because of reports I read of over-booking and room-switching. I'm happy to report that my concerns were allayed as soon as I checked in. I was shown to a commodious semi-suite in the wing adjacent to reception. Check-in time was 1:00 p.m., which is on the early side for small hotels in Prague. I appreciated that, since I arrived by train just about that time.

Although reserved as a single room, the bedroom could have accommodated a couple or even (in tight quarters) a three-person group. The bedroom faced the courtyard, which made it a little dim, but there were enough lights in the room to make up for that. There was a separate room (something of a glorified corridor, but separate from the bedroom) with a table and chairs, which accommodated my needs for a writing/work space; it had a front view, so more natural light. The bathroom (opened to the corridor) was clearly a modern addition (since the building dates from the 1700s); it was small but clean and satisfactory.

My room was one flight up from ground floor. There didn't appear to be an elevator. I was helped with my heavy suitcase without having to ask, so the walk-up was fine with me.

The breakfast room was a highliight of this hotel. It is in the basement and appears to have been a storage space as some time in the building's history. It's a barrell-vaulted stone and brick room with as much charm as one could hope for in this old quarter of an old city. The room's been renovated with good lighting and other amenities, and the breakfasts were very generous, enough to get you through to dinner time. Talking with other guests, I had the impression their rooms were even nicer, so I would consider my experience representative.

Reception is open 24 hours a day and helpful with currency exchange and arranging taxis, tours, etc. The English-language fluency of the staff varies, but they are accommodating, courteous, and neat.

The hotel's location cannot be surpassed. The Mala Strana district is one of the historic centers, and with the Prague Castle up the hill, it is lively and walkable. A metro station is within a five minute walk. Walking to the center city (Old City or Jewish Quarter) is also an easy jaunt over one of two bridges. The hotel neighbors the Wallenstein Palace, which is the current home of the Crech Republic Senate. Palace grounds and garden are open to the public at set times. The street leading to the hotel has several embassies. Continuing further leads easily to the restaurants and shops of the squares on this side of the Charles Bridge.

The hotel has a computer with Internet access available to guests in a loungue sort of room. Caution - the computer runs on Linux, so using it to send files posed a technical issue (solvable if you're a computer nerd like me).

The price of my room, booked about 3 weeks earlier on hotels.com, was about US$95 a night, including all charges. Breakfasts are included in the room charge. I found it an excellent value for what I received.

All in all, the Wallstein Hotel is an excellent choice for travelers seeking an "Old Workd experience." If you're looking for a modern hotel with all the 21st Century amenities, book elsewhere. But if you're looking for a good value and authentic Prague experience, as I was, this was a superb experience for me.

waldestein we wouldn't stay anywhere else

Six of us stayed just before christmas, rooms were fabulous (there was a christmas tree outside my window). Staff were really helpful with advice on restaurants, taxis e.t.c.
We even had Bucks Fizz for breakfast, what more could you want.
We have just booked again for this December.

Bumped in reverse!

We have just returned from 4 nights in Prague.We had booked accommodation through the internet at the Mucha Hotel, part of the same chain, but on arrival at 11.00 p.m. we were advised of technical problems and taxied to the Waldstein where we were given a deluxe apartment in the extension.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.The room was very comfortable and we thought the basement breakfast room was very good, as were the beakfasts. The staff we dealt with were extremely pleasant and helpful. The location of the hotel is another plus and, all in all, I think we gained from the hotel move.

Thanks for the transfer

After reading the reviews and forums we selected the Waldstein on advice from a friend that had stayed there. We booked about 8 weeks in advance and figured with a Tuesday arrival there would be a minimal chance of overbooking. Upon arrival in early afternoon we waited in the hall outside of reception alongside the cleaning supplies and garbage bags left by the cleaning staff, while another couple checked in. Upon entry to the reception area we were informed we were being transferred to another hotel due to all of the construction causing dirt and noise. We were told it was a Four Star hotel, possibly nicer. We were actually relieved for our first impression was not positive. Our reward for the transfer was a voucher for dinner at a local eatery. While waiting forever for the cab they summoned, my wife used the rest room near reception. It was dirty with no towels for drying of hands.

We were sent to the Trinidad where the receptionist was not very pleasant nor forthcoming with info on the rates compared to the Waldstein. We did receive the room most prominently displayed in literature but it had only a tub with a handheld shower. Our experience there did prove to be pleasurable primarily due to the location and a surprising find, the small restaurant in the lower level. The complimentary breakfast was satisfying although minimal in selection. We had dinner there a couple of times and found the food very good, reasonably priced, and the service excellent.

We stopped at the Waldstein one day to verify we would pay only the rate at which we reserved. A different receptionist indicated they would take care of everything for "we overbook all the time and send people to other hotels."

In our opinion there are far too many hotels in Prague for anyone to roll the dice on the Waldstein. Just a book another instead of wasting half of a day, or night, transferring anyway.

In closing, the restaurant for which they supplied the voucher was near the top of hill that required mountain goat ability to reach. The food was by far the worst we had during our two weeks in Europe. To a degree, inedible. Add in the unbearable heat in the room and the smoke from the couple they sat next to us and you can begin to imagine the dining experience.

Technical Problem

by TripAdvisor Member Scootagal

I can't really rate our visit to the Waldstein, as like many other people we got bumped. Due to technical difficulties. This even happened after I rang two weeks in advance to check they had my booking, due to reading other negative experiences. The taxi they ordered for us was the worst i've ever been in - bald tyre, smelt of dogs, electrical wires showing...but anyway - there was a happy ending! The hotel we were moved to was beautiful and in a better location - the Verona House was brilliant - 30 seconds around the corner from the Charles Bridge - well recommended to anyone!

Another overbooking ......!

We booked at the Waldstein after reading other reviews - it sounded amazing and the occasional overbooking problem couldn't really be that common, could it ??? Booked via the net and made sure we had confirmation, arrived at the Waldstein to be told they knew nothing of our booking. ("Computer says no") All they could suggest was that they transfered us elsewhere. Given that from our initial enquiries we knew how busy Prague was we felt we had little option but to take them up on it and so ended up being ferried to the Hotel Trinidad. Handy location but right opposite a metro station and major tram stop so not the quietest. Rooms were okay but given we'd paid and were expecting something of individual character not worth the money. ..... The plastic palm tree in the bedroom was an memorable touch though!

In short, I wouldn't recommend taking the risk with the Waldstein - you never know where you'll end up.

Excellent hotel

Excellent service, clean room, excellent food, would come again this hotel is up with the best, small but central to all the main attractions, save time at the airport and prebook a taxi 550czk about us$24.

Pretty hotel, ABA rates a negative surprise

by TripAdvisor Member pugetsound

We had 2 rooms - both pretty. One large, one quite small. Nice fresh linens, good breakfast in the "cave." Everything sparkling clean. Good location. I booked the first 4 nights on line through ABA. When we took one more night, booked with the hotel itself, I was quite surprised at how much less they charged than ABA. And that was for the larger room. If you can't find Waldstein through Google, (I couldn't) but want to stay there, I'd suggest calling the hotel directly for rates.

Prague - Waldstein Hotel

by theteuchter

Hiya all...

Wife and I heading to Prague on 15 February for three nights - first wedding anniversary and a surprise for her.

We're staying at the Waldstein Hotel. Has anyone stayed here? What's it like? Do you recommend it? What can you tell me about it?

Also, what's the best means of getting to the Waldstein from the airport and vice versa? Is there an airport shuttle or would a taxi be recommended? What is cost?

Many Thanks!
William

Re: Prague - Waldstein Hotel

by mendip6

I would not bother with a taxi.
Buy a transport ticket for 12Kc in the airport foyer. If you have large piece of luggage you also have to purchase a 6Kr ticket for that. Cross the road and turn right to the end of this bay and take the 119 bus to Dejvicka, then metro line A to Malostranka.(the bus stops directly outside the metro) There are also fleetsof White mini buses outside the airport. But the 119 bus is no problem, and I think is the best option

Re: Re: Prague - Waldstein Hotel

by Chicka

Hey, I will be in Prague in transit on Jan. 28th. I have some five hours to kill. Would that be enough time to get to the city center? And how do I get there?
Thanks a lot!

Prague

by pattens

Has anyone stayed at the Waldstein Hotel in Prague? Was is nice? Would it be a good place for a family with older children? How about the Waldstein Annex?

Reasonable Taxi Fare

by Ghs1961

Hi,

I have received many warnings from friends that taxis are the biggest rip off in Prague.

Could local advise what would be a reasonable fare to pay from the airport to the Waldstein Hotel on Valdstejnske nam/.

many thanks

RE: RE: Reasonable Taxi Fare

by Muzicdude

My advice is to not get a taxi but get a minibus instead. The service is reliable and easy to use as well.

We got one to and from the airport, it leaves you to the door of your hotel, and is not too expensive.

The ticket booth for the minibus is located beside the airport exit. You purchase the ticket in advance and present it to the minibus driver before boarding.

by croatia2006

Hello,

We took a normal individual taxi and it was about 25 euros to our hotel near city centre. You can find alternatives and prices from the airport's pages:

by daz01

There are a few other (recent) threads on this but don't worry about being ripped off at the airport. There are only a couple of companies allowed to wait at the airport and they are reliable. Around town, try to use AAA or Sedop (there are a few other trustworthy companies too) but unbranded taxis will try to screw you.

Or as mentioned you can get the van or even public transport is pretty easy. 20 minute bus ride to the metro, then about 5 mins on the metro to your hotel.

by silverkinguk

Hi,
Try AAA taxi here is the finest service here.

RE: RE: Reasonable Taxi Fare

by Ghs1961

Thanks for all the replies folks

by RockTadgers

They've been cracking down on rip-off taxi drivers, but you can still count on a lot of them to round things up a bit if they think they can get away with it. I'd suggest that with a bit of haggling, you should be able to get the fare down to about 400-500kc (about £10-12). As someone else has suggested, speak to your hotel and see about a pick up.

Otherwise, if you feel like a bit of an adventure, a transfer ticket will cost you 20kc each (about 50p) - the bus will take you to the end of a Metro line, and then it is fairly simple to make you're way to anywhere centrally from there!

Good luck, and have a good time,

Rock Tadgers