Tyn 10/644, Praha 1, Prague, 110 00, Czech Republic

Prague Astronomical ClockPrague Astronomical Clock

Zizkov TV Tower, PragueZizkov TV Tower, Prague

afternoon and evening cruise

by delcity

a friend is thinking about a trip to prague in april . he found a round trip ticket for 623 us dolars. the return flight leaves between 4 and 5 am in the morning. he would like to check out of his hotel at noon and then take a cruise on one of the rivers that would get him back to town around midnight.
if you know of a good company that provides such cruise please let me know.
if he can not get the cruise he will have to spend 12 or more hours waiting at the hotel and airport. or take another flight and lay over a night at a connection airport.

by ter1413

If he can't get the cruise, why not check out at noon and hang around the city(ask the hotel to hold his bags?)

by margsch

I doubt very much if any cruise ends so late even if there are cruises available. I once had a flight out of Singapore at 3a.m. and recommend staying those extra hours at the Hotel and sleep a bit, your friend would be exhausted if he stayed up all night and then had a long flight in the early hours of the morning. It is worth the money in my opinion, one can shower and rest and be ready to face the world.

by leics

Get your friend to look at

I don't think they will take him up to midnight, but there certainly evening cruise options.

by delcity

thanks for the web sites

by packtarl

If he can't get a cruise there are lots of great places to visit by train. He could leave his luggage at the hotel or the station. I would recommend Kutna Hora. Its a beautiful town and has the incredible bone church (Seldec Ossuary). Its only 1 hour from Prague by train, the trains are regular all day, and in my opinion its a much better option than sitting on a boat for hours.

Travel Tips for Prague

Getting tickets for concerts and caltural events

by labadim

Prague is a very vibrant caltural place. Each night (and in fact each day too) You may have a selection of music and other artistic events to choose from. Ranging from Opera, clasical music (lots of it!), through black theatre (I suggest you skip the tourist oriented Laterna Magica - it is kitschy), jazz, pop and theatre.
If you don't want to settle for less than the best performances I suggest you visit the Ticketpro website in advance, before you arrive in Prague, and purchase tickets online - I did it and got excellent seats for the "Marriage of Figaro" (superb performance!), and for "Odyseus" by Laterna Magica (don't go!).
The tickets may be collected upon your arrival at one of Ticketpro's outlets (I chose the one at Rytirska 12, Praha 1, located in the middle between old-town square and Waclaw's square - all within walking distance.
Visit Ticketpro website:

www.ticketpro.cz

(in English too).
Another place for obtaining tickets - but mainly for the all-day performances of chamber music performed in many churches and other bueatiful locales around town - is the ticket office adjacent the Tyn church, where you can also buy CDs (good quality Czech musicians!).

New Town

by micas_pt

This neighbourhood is also situated in the right bank of River Vlatva and is adjacent to Old Town. It was established in the 14th century and main highlights are: the Wenceslaus Square; the Franciscan Garden; the National Theatre and the Dancing Building. In this area there are several boats that cruise the River for a panoramic view of the city and its surroundings.

Pilsner!

by Kaspian

"Damn, that beer is good!," I say to American companions as I lower my glass of Pilsner Urquell. The first sip of beer after 24 hours of travel time is always excellent, isn't it? On the second sip a quizzical expression crosses my face as my brain involuntarily begins to flip through an internal card cataloguing system looking for points of reference. On the third sip my eyes widen, I can feel tears welling, and my mouth hangs agape. "Holy God! This is the best tasting beer I've ever had in my life!" And even as I announce this, I realize it's a gigantic understatement. This is in fact the best tasting liquid I've ever had in my mouth... The divine, the nectar of gods, the drink I've forever been searching for--the ultimate source!
Pilser Urquell ("Plzensky Prazdroj" in Czech) began brewing in 1842 in the town of Pilsen, Czech Republic not very far from Prague. It's the world's original pilsner beer. It's made with unbelievably beautiful water, hops from Saaz, and is a light, golden colour. And they only cost about $2 each?!
I drank four litres chatting with my American friends, trying to contain my enthusiasm for this newfound drink. After I walk them back to the hotel, I search the surrounding block for pubs and find one five doors down from my accommodation's entrance. Fantastic! I park myself on a barstool and proceed to drink four more litres of Pilsner Urquell, making some cool Czech drinking buddies in the process. Little did I know at the time that this would become my template for the following week.
I wake up early the next morning, fully expecting and deserving a full-blown hangover. But there's nothing. Nothing! I have a glass of water, put some eye drops in, and I feel great--hungry for breakfast ready to take on the world!
The next few days are hot and humid, around 30C (90F), and I drink lots of pilsner--indeed, I'm half-hammered most of my vacation. ...And I can't seem to stop. I quickly get into the habit of answering "Pils!," whenever a waiter asks what I'd like to drink.
Honestly, if I lived in this country, the beer would be the ruin of me and my liver. But screw health, ask for "pils," while in Prague! Na Zdravi!

The Jewish town in Prague

by LanaFromRiga

Jewish tradition is very old in Prague. First jewish people who came here were traders in 1091. After a couple of decades the wall around Jewish houses was built. In 1850 Jewish quarter was renamed and it became the quarter of Josef (by the name of emperor Josef III).
The central building of Jewish quarter is Staronova synagogue. It is the eldest synagogue in the Central Europe and it using like synagogue nowadays too.

Strahov Stadium

by DavyJB

Having read about Strahov Stadium once being the largest stadium in the world (it is now 2nd largest to Indianapolis Motor Speedway) I wanted to see it. When we got there I was amazed by the size of the place but also how dilapidated it was. It was originally built in 1948 and expanded under the communist regime to its current size (it is spread over 15 acres) and could accomodate over 220,000 people to say its immense is an understatement. It is currently used as training pitches for Sparta Prague and there are 8 full size soccer pitches and 2 half size pitches.

Comments