Rimska 44, Praha 2 Vinohrady, Prague, Bohemia, 120 00, Czech Republic
AMOMA.com Travelocity Asiatravel.com

More about Prague

Giant bronze babies clamber over the TV towerGiant bronze babies clamber over the TV tower

Gravestones and Surrounding BuildingsGravestones and Surrounding Buildings

One of the SynagoguesOne of the Synagogues

early morning viewearly morning view

an exchange office in Prague

by mogaly

Hello everybody,

I wonder if any of you has ever heared about an exchange office , most likely in Namesti Republiky , providing one of the best exchange rates in Prague ? Thank you for your help .

by leics

I haven't heard of such a thing nor have I come across any exchange office providing 'the best' rates. All seem pretty similar to me wherever I go, and Prague was no exception.

But airport exchange rates are always worse than those in cities/towns.

by r13

One of the best rates I encountered (however I change CZK to EUR) is in exchange in passage "TeTa"

Exchange rates and company policies float and "best place" might change in a month or so. On the other hand some exchanges offering excellent rates were closed for illegal financial operations....

by IndianPacific

I don't quite agree with leics. In Prague you'll find different rates among the exchange offices, unlike f.x. in Budapest, where all the exchange offices seem to belong to Western Union Bank.

by globetrott

in my personal experience the ATM-machines are always the best way to get money in Czech republik. You will find lots of exchange-offices that write "NO comission" and finally they deduct a comission anyway !

by LoriPori

When we were in Prague we used an ATM Machine and just got what we needed for the day. I noticed most exchange offices were quite competitive and offered fair rates. But do shop around.

by leics

I didn't say rates were the same; I said they were 'pretty similar'. Certainly similar enough not to waste my holiday wandering around trying to find the best rate.

I'm careful with my money, but when it comes to a difference of hundredths or thousandths of euro/GBP/CZK I really can't find much enthusiasm (although I don't exchange vast quantities of money either, when I suppose it might make a worthwhile difference).

by packtarl

I agree with Leic. You will see lots of exchange offices as you travel around Prague but the difference in their rates is fractional, if any, and certainly not worth wasting time going from one to another just to save 20p. The ATM machines might give better rates, I don't know, but there will almost certainly be a charge from your bank when you get your statement back home that will wipe out any benefit.Why not just change your money before you travel? Thats what we always do and the rates over here are always as good as, if not better than those in Prague. Whatever you decide, don't change anything at the airport, and under no circumstances be tempted by the man in the street who says he will give you a fantastic exchange rate. He won't, and what he gives you will be fake or some other cheaper currency, typically Hungarian Forints. This is one of the things to watch for in Prague.

by leics

And elsewhere as well. Avoid airports, and never exchange illegally on the street.

I agree it makes sense to change money before you leave (for European destinations from the UK, at least)...again, any difference in rates is infinitesimal. I always do this, but I know some people do not like carrying large amounts of cash around.

Travel Tips for Prague

~ Powder Tower ~

by Heavens-Mirror

The Powder Tower is one of my favourite monuments in Prague. Just look at the beauty of it. Originally a Gothic city gateway that was part of the fortifications of the Old Town (Stare Mesto). The tower's significance grew at the end of the 14th century, when, on the site where the Municipal House (Obecni dum) stands today, Wenceslas IV had a complex of courtyards constructed in its vicinity, enabling monarchs to enter the city. The tower thus became the starting point of coronation processions.

In 1475 Matej Rejsek enhanced its appearance with a radical reconstruction. It was given its current name in the 17th century, when the tower served as a storage facility for gunpowder. It was severely damaged during the Prussian siege of 1757, losing practically all of its sculptural adornments.

In the 1880's Josef Mocker rebuilt it in the spirit of Neo-Gothic purism. It now stands 65 m tall. 186 stone steps lead to a gallery that offers an incredible view of the city. Inside there is a permanent exhibition of Prague's towers as well as a collection of photographs by Ladislav Sitensky. Open daily from 10am till 6pm.

Hradcany

by Cool-123

Prague's finest churches and museums are found in Hradcany, the wonderful castle district stretching along a hilltop west of the river. During weekends and summer, Prague Castle is packed with sightseers. I saw the changing guards.

Tip on tipping

by jolsen05

Many guidebooks will tell you the proper tip is no more than 10%, 15% for excellent service. If you aren't on a tight budget, disregard this advice. For those of us using the Pound and the Euro (soon my dollar as well), many of our meals and drinks in Prague are relatively dirt cheap. Yet the people serving us these delectible treats aren't making much money, and are working long hours. Usually, I'll sit down for a meal and get excellent service from a hardworking waitress who, quite frankly, shouldn't be smiling at the end of a 10 hour shift. My bill will be so cheap, I'll give about a 50% tip (make sure to ask the server if they actually receive the tip first). It's good to know a couple extra pounds can help a hardworking Czech local, and a beautiful Czech smile is well worth the price.

Go Karting at Hotel Diplomat

by deeper_blue

If you're travelling to Prague in a group, travel to Hotel Diplomat (nearest stop Dejvica on the green line) for some go-karting. It's reasonably priced and it's large enough to show off your Schumacher skills.

Walking Mala Strana

by mbsimjam

If you have the time, while you are in Prague, for a leisurely stroll, investigating the ins and outs of Mala Strana is a very cool way to explore the city. There are so many small corners to go around, where you will find so many things you never expected.

Just start at Charles Bridge, and leave the touristy mess behind you. You may find a cool little pub for the locals, or the students (many of which are housed in Mala Strana), or a small cafe in the depths of a 14th century building, or a view of the city that you cannot get anywhere else. Just explore and you will find the jewels that make this city the wonder that it is!

Comments