Cukrovarnicka 64, Praha 6, Prague, 16900, Czech Republic
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Prague

Petrin Tower with the Hunger Wall in foregroundPetrin Tower with the Hunger Wall in foreground

River Vlatva and Charles BridgeRiver Vlatva and Charles Bridge

Outside the Old Royal PalaceOutside the Old Royal Palace

Wenceslao SquareWenceslao Square

Walking from Krystal Hotel to downtown

by abiggers

Hi,

We will be going to Prague next week. My husband is attending a conference. I enjoy walking, so I was thinking that aside the tours we will be taking, I could walk from the 3 star Krystal hotel (located in # J. Martího 2/407 162 00 Prague 6 - Veleslavín) to the downtown area to look around and do some shopping. Do you think that would be doable?
Thank you in advance.

by bartw

That would make a very long walk...

The more "usual" way to get to the centre from Hotel Krystal is to take tram 20 or 26 in front of the hotel, direction Nadrazi Hostivar or Sidliste Barrandov.

After 10 stops, transfer to the subway at Dejvicka station from where you take the green line in the direction of the centre.

Get off at station Staromestska for the Old Town, Mustek for shopping.

In ideal circumstances, this trip takes +/- 20 minutes.

Kind regards,
Bart

by r13

Well, as mentioned above, it is not very good idea. Distance to the Castle (which is on the close side of downtown) is about 6 km and you would walk either along busy smelly 4 lanes street or trough maze of uninspiring cottage houses.

I think much better wuold be to take tram+metro to the center, for example to Malostranska or Staromestska stop an then take a walk in historical area... It has lots to explore...

by leics

Although I'm a great walker, I'd tend to agree. Of course it's do-able, but better to take tram 26 (according to the hotel website) getting on/off at 'Nad Dzbanem' which is the 20th stop from the centre, the eighth after Devjicka (which is the terminus of Metro line A). Then tire out your legs waking around Prague itself.

It is very easy to use tram/bus/Metro in Prague (ask reception to explain about tickets and routes) but if you are wary you could always get the hotel to order you a taxi.

by abiggers

Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate it. What a great forum!

by leics

We do our best! :-)

Enjoy Prague....it's a fascinating city, with loads of history. For ideas on what to see/do and where to eat etc, have a look at the VT Prague pages (I have one). All content is written by VT locals and visitors:

Travel Tips for Prague

Be aware of Laundryland!

by bernalhse

We made the mistake of having our laundry done by Laundryland - the rates on the website looked affordable, and we had them pick up our laundry from our hotel. Imagine my shock when the bill for 2 loads of laundry was 1480 korunas (over $70). I could have bought a new wardrobe of t-shirts and socks for that price in Prague. So, please don't make the same mistake that we did (it may be cheaper just doing the laundry yourself).

DAY TWO ADVENTURES (CONTINUED)

by karaboo

As I was walking there I saw what appeared to be dead body outside the back of Mozart's Giovanni's Theatre (name forgotten for the moment, Estates Theater, that’s it. It’s the place where Mozart premiered Don Giovanni in 1787.) So, there laid this body stretched out on a on a makeshift gurney. It then dawned on me when three workmen hopped out of the back of a truck that it was a prop for a play and not an actual corpse. I took a picture and the cutest mover boy posed for me. I walked by a few minutes later and he was swinging in a medieval looking swing set, yet another prop I presume. I am starting to wonder about the type of operas they do here!

Tourist Hell

by Gage17

Despite wars and occupations, much of the medieval charm of Prague has remained intact... and this is of great appeal to the tourist hordes. I was in Prague from February to March and was astounded by the number of tourists during those less-than-ideal winter months. They were EVERYWHERE! I can't even image this town during the peak summer season. Just be prepared to be among the foreign masses during your visit to Prague.

Extreme Downhill

by bpwillet

As always, have snow will sled. We had the chance to do some sledding when we were walking through Petrin park. Some kids were nice enough to leave their sled sitting out where "kids at heart" could take a whirl. I opted not to partake but Chuck did a great job navigating the course. Hey, it had to be documented somehow!

Kutna Hora - cozy place with great sights

by Raimix

Invention of the first Cistercian Monastery in 12th century was a beginning of Kutna Hora site, from 1260 Germans found here a valuable place to mine out silver started to do it at mountains nearby. The city became quite rich due to silver mines; the quite interesting fact to tell that from the 13th to 16th centuries city was about equal level with Prague culturally, politically, and economically. In 15th century it was second by importance in Bohemia.

City is lively, full of historical sites, including rich gothic style St. Barbora Church, unique Bone Church. In the year of 1995 old part of city was included into UNESCO World Heritage Sites list.

Comments