Svaty Jan

Castle entrance with GuardsCastle entrance with Guards

Prague to Budapest

by Veeree

Hi
I will go to Prague on April after Prague, I will go to Budapest. I would like to know. How much does it cost for train and how long does it take? I tried to check on Internet about time and price But it couldnot.
If anyone know www for train, please let me know.
Thank you very much.
Veeree

by leics

You can find the train times and details here:

You can try looking at Czech Republic railway site for fares:

but in the past I have found it very difficult indeed to find the information in English.

by bekerovka

True, prices are in czech only. Praha-Budapest are 19€ if you buy "eTiket Maďarsko" https://eshop.cd.cz/international/info.aspx
If you want translate it try here: http://translation2.paralink.com/lowres.asp
Ciao, Marco

by FlyingElizabeth

I have my receipt from this (same train-trip) at home and I'll get you the exact details ASAP.

by davidlayba

the english version of the web that gave you marco
with electronic tickets for 19 euro one way:

by hb_capri

I'm planning to make the same trip in Feb.this info is really useful guys.Thanks Marco n David.I have a question...is it possible to book first class as well.I only get 2nd class option when I searched

Rgds
HB

by nicolaitan

we did this exact trip a year ago or so - the Hungaria train from Zoo in Berlin to Budapest. the train took exactly seven hours, 1200 to 1900, just as scheduled. easy, comfortable, and when leaving prague the train is crowded but by Bratislava the train has emptied out considerably. we checked out the first class seats - trust me, no reason to pay for first class, the accomodations don't warrant the extra money. there is a dining car serving sandwiches and minor food, not really that expensive, and you can take the food back to your seat as we did if you are worried about your luggage.

by hb_capri

Thanks Lew.did u book the tickets beforehand or just bought it the day of travel?

by davidlayba

I am sorry I do not have a personal experience.
about first class in general as mention I think
it's west of many ! but it's your choice ( - :

by nicolaitan

this train leaves from holosevice train station, not the main train station, around noon. there is a metro stop right at the train station altho i don't recall which line right now. some stairs are involved, but you can also take a taxi there - not that far from the center of town.
i advise you change your crowns to florints at the money exchange kiosk at holosevice. we did not find the atms in keleti station in budapest when we arrived although i am sure they are there, so we were lucky to have the florints on arrival for a taxi to the hotel.
we bought the ticket at the train station the day before we left, but most of the passengers seemed to be buying the tickets on the day of departure.
during much of the last hour of the trip, the train borders the danube on the right side, very scenic.
enjoy your trip - you can stop by my pages for advice on local transportation if you wish. n.

Travel Tips for Prague

Try sitting on a bench in...

by mbo

Try sitting on a bench in Vaclavske Namesti on a friday night. The number of people approaching you is amazing (and they are not all hookers). Great way to meet new people. Friendly people. Off course there are friendly people in my home town Copenhagen too, but I didn't expect total strangers to ask me if they could be of assistance as they thought I looked a little confused and/or disoriented. Anywhere else in the world you should hold on tight to your valuables, but in Prague it was genuine concern. Maybe some people saw a chance to earn a few extra Kc's, but what is the harm in that?

Karluv Most. Sculptures

by bugulma

In 1683 the first sculptures were placed on the bridge. New sculptures appeared in XVIII-XIX centuries. It is real museum in the open air. Some sculptures are in my travelogue. There are two towers in both sides of the bridge as well.

Narodni trida.
I keep...

by kenbac

Narodni trida.
I keep mentioning this place.
Why?
Narodni Trida is a useful place.
It's very central. It is on the edge of the Old Town, it is close by Wenceslas Square and also just beside the New Town.
It has a Tesco Supermarket and Department Store.
It is a Metro station.
It is a major Tram stop.
And it seems to be a popular meeting place for locals.

Hrad Karlstejn

by Lalique

It's the most known bohemian castle, it stands in the valley of river Berounka. The castle is about 30 kms south-west of Prague.
The castle was build for Karl IV and posseses a lot of historical artifacts.
Among other truly fascinating and interesitng things it has one of the 1st toilets, which was used only by the King. It sets on a tower wall, like a bay window and is seen from the far aproaches to the castle...

Botanical Gardens
Within 5...

by margobubs

Botanical Gardens
Within 5 minutes walk from the zoo, there are some nice laid out gardens, especially the lovely Japanese section. Well worth a visit for all garden lovers. We spent a lovely morning there.

Comments