Ujezd

More about Ujezd

Strahov - student...

by nikolka

Strahov - student appartments/hostels
You'd pay around $6-9 per room and night(doublebed).(Depends on whether you are a student or not). Look, this is a cheap place. So do not expect much. A group of 12 buildings, each with 6 floors, each floor 40 doublebed rooms. No breakfast, not cosy. Bathroom and toilette shared (6 showers and 8 toilettes on each floor). It is the location that matters. On a hill, you walk 5 min and you have Prague in front of your eyes. Prague Castle 15 min walking (slow) away. Shopping center 20 mins walking, 15 mins when you combine walking and tram. In the Strahov area, there are couple of pubs where you can eat and pretty much each building has a club, student bar or disco, food shop in the same area, swimming pool and sport area near by and observatory in the gardens. You can get there by bus (no.176 from Charles square, 217 from Dejvicka metro station) or by railway (from Ujezd - near Malostranske square). From the railway you have a wonderful view on the Prague Castle.

Apartment Golden Tree II

by Krumlovgirl

We only had a lukewarm experience with the apartments. To begin with, it wasn?t made clear that the reception was a good ways from the actual apartments. We took a taxi there from the train station with our luggage, but as it took us over an hour to check the taxi couldn?t wait for us. When I asked the girl how we were supposed to get our luggage to the apartment she told us that it was only a 20 minute walk. However, it was dark, icy, snowing, and cold. And we had a lot of luggage. She eventually called another taxi for us. The real problem was that the apartment they ended up taking us to was not the apartment advertised on the website. We thought we would be staying on Neurodova. That was one of the reasons we picked that particular place. Instead, they took us to Ujezd, a fairly long walk from the center of Mala Strana. When I inquired about this I was told that the apartments on Neurodova were full. Still, they shouldn?t advertise them if they can?t accommodate. It didn?t look anything like the pictures on the Internet-probably because it wasn?t the same place.

The apartment had both good and bad qualities. It wasn?t really an apartment at all. It was a large room with a kitchenette. Oh, and a large bathroom which was nice. Still, there was nothing outstanding about it. There weren?t any pictures on the wall or any kind of decorations at all. The beds, while comfortable, were very low to the ground and a little difficult for my handicapped traveling partner to get in and out of. We stayed there for four nights but nobody ever came to clean the room. We weren?t told what to do with the key, either, and had to call and ask. The good points were that we had a great view of Petrin Hill and there was a tram stop outside the front door. And we enjoyed having the great restaurant La Bastille below us. It was also nice to have a tea maker in the room, too, as well as a refrigerator.

Cable car to the Petrin Tower....

by prazacek

Cable car to the Petrin Tower. Lower end station is located on Ujezd Street, middle station is called Nebozizek (restaurants and shops) and upper end station is near to the Petrin Tower.

Ujezd. Small pub on the...

by Ash666

Ujezd. Small pub on the castle-side of the river with cheap beer
Taz pub. I don't know the address...
Noodie bar. Old town side of the river 100 meters from the charles bridge.
The Taz pub is close to a an entrance to the metro tunnels. When you walk down the stairs, you can find people who will sell you grass. However you will have a hard time buying good stuff for a reasonable price. Whatever

Funicular

by Listig

The funicular to Petrin hill is linked to the tram transport at the stop Ujezd and is lead along the line UJEZD - Nebozizek - PETRlN. It operates daily from 09.15 a.m. to 08.45 p.m. Data concerning the transport connection are written in the time-tables placed at individual stops. The headway of the funicular is 15 minutes during the winter season, and 10 minutes during the summer season.

Moldavite?

by Atlasgold

I am going to visit in July and have several days open to do "fun stuff". I was wondering if anyone has any information about the location of moldavite and perhaps where best to purchase it?

RE: Moldavite?

by eledhwen

Hi,

the moldavite stone can be found at South Bohemia in the villages Besednice, Borovany, Dolni Chrastany, Habri, Kamenicky Ujezd, Koroseky, Lhenice, Locenice, Malovicky, Nesmen, Nechov, Netolice, Radomilice, Slavce or at Moravia around Trebic.
There is only one company that is allowed to "mine" moldavite the FONSUS a.s., their trade mark for selling moldavite is Green Admiral with a green butterfly in the logo.
You can also visit the goldsmith's Vantura at Hradec Kralove on Horova street 833, they do make jewels from different stones and also from moldavite. But I would say that visiting some shops in Cesky Krumlov or Trhove Sviny will be the best way to get some moldavite.

Best regards
Daniela

RE: RE: Moldavite?

by Atlasgold

Oh Thank you!!! I was really wanting to learn more about the area where it is from and to visit there. I was looking for "raw" peices - not those that are cut. I appreciate your advice. Jackie

Safety: Hlavni nadrazi station / Arbesovo namesti

by Atlasgold

Hi we will be staying at a hotel Atresse this week..

Is it safe for a single person to arrive at Hlavni nadrazi (Central Train Station) and take a tram 9 to the stop "Arbesovo namesti" (Arbesovo Square) after dark?

How is the neighborhood at Arbesovo namesti?
What kind of conditions at the train station to the tram station at 10 pm during the week?
Is it much of a walk to the tram station?
Thanks.

by hundwalder

There are no tram stations. Hlavni Nadrazi Metro ( subway ) station is part of the train station. All trams and buse routes start from outside Metro stations. Hlavni Nadrazi is close to Wenceslas Square, but the neighborhood is a little rougher.

by Mikebb

Hi I do not know the train station however last September we had 7 days in Prague and most nights we were out to 11pm, caught the trams etc, at no time did we have any fear, it was always safe. Have a good trip.

by daz01

I'd say you'll be perfectly safe. There's the odd homeless person hanging around outside hlavni nadrazi but they are usually too drunk/crazy to notice/bother you. As you come out of the main train station, on the lower level, you enter a small park. Turn to the right and walk 30 metres on the path to the tram stop. The 9 leaves from here. The map below shows the stop in the centre

If you would feel safer, consider getting the metro from halvni nadrazi changing to the yellow line and getting off at Narodni Trida. The 9 also comes from here to arbesovo namesti. This may take slightly longer but not much.

The area around arbesovo namesti is pretty safe. I'm from New Zealand and I feel safer in Prague than i do back home.

In case you want some restaurant tips, on your way to the hotel near Ujezd you'll pass the restaurant Olympia which has great czech food (not greek like the name suggests) and if you get sick of hotel breakfasts, Cafe Savoy (also Ujezd) does a range of meals in the morning. Also, try Potrefena Husa in the Andel area, 5 mins from Arbesovo Nam.

Enjoy prague.

RE: RE: Safety: Hlavni nadrazi station / Arbesovo namesti

by Atlasgold

Thanks so much for your responses - I feel so much better. My son is arriving a day earlier then I am and neither of us have been to Prague before. I appreciate your sharing your experiences with me - so hard to know what to expect. This is the best sight - it can even alleviate a mother's anxiety!! Thanks also for the dining tips - I had no idea where to eat - so really will follow up on your suggestions.

Any one know this monument?

by ursulaursula

Hello!

On one of my photos from my visit to Prauge (last spring), there are some statues I can't really seem to sort out.

If I remember it correctly, they are located on Petrin Hill, near Ujezd. It is some kind of monument containing 5-6 very worn out men (in bronze I believe), placed on different steps on a stair. The higher up on the stair, the more worn out they get.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

What's this monument called? And what's its purpose?

Is it new ? Cause I don't remember it from my visit in 2002, and I can't find it in any of the guide books.

I hope someone can help me out here!

Best regards,
Sofia

Re: Any one know this monument?

by freya_heaven

I have the same photo, It was on the Petrin hill, I can not remember the name of it. but it was a war Memorial.

Hope this helps
Happy Travels
Nicola
(~_~)

Re: Re: Any one know this monument?

by LanaFromRiga

Hi Sofia!
It's the monument for communism victims. Chezia was in the Communism block.

Re: Any one know this monument?

by Travelchili

Hi Sofia,

I hope that I can offer you some help, but if you have any futher questions, feel free to drop me a line.

This is the Prague monument to Communist victims.
The monument is by Czech sculptor Olbram Zoubek, and if I am right, it is there since May 2002. It features a series of seven life-sized human figures, descending a flight of concrete steps at the bottom of Petrin Hill. The bronze figures - who are in various states of destruction - are meant to symbolise political prisoners from the Communist era.

Cheers,
Travelchili

Re: Re: Any one know this monument?

by ursulaursula

Tanks everybody!

You've been very helpful! :-)

/Sofia