Hotel Gomel

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 39% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Cesky Krumlov

Castle View from HotelCastle View from Hotel

Castle of Cesky Krumlov in the backgroundCastle of Cesky Krumlov in the background

tower from the third courtyardtower from the third courtyard

Coming back from the GardensComing back from the Gardens

Hire Car

by Anastasia16

I am visitng Prague in october with a friend. I would love to visit some of the villages outside Prague for a day trip (including Cesky Krumlov perhaps). I was hoping we could drive ourselves and have the freedom to stop whereever we want. Can anyone tell me how feasible this is? Are the roads okay? I read that parking can be an issue but not impossible. Am I better to forget the idea and take public transport?

by GrumpyDiver

The roads are fine and depending on where you are in Prague, parking may not be an issue either. We drove from Prague to Kutna Hora to Cesky Krumlov - all are quite worth the visit.

by scallens

We rented a car in Prague a couple of years ago and drove all over southeastern Czech Republic. The roads are excellent. Getting around in Prague may be a problem as the traffic was terrible and construction made road maps useless. We rented a car from Avis which had an office near the main highway, and we were able to get out of town fairly easily, but I don't think I'd attempt to think about parking in the city center. Take a cab to the rental place and go out for the day or so.

Thanks for you help.

by Dabs

We got a car from the airport when we landed and went to Cesky Krumlov, Ceske Budejovice and a few other places, returned the car to the airport and took the bus into Prague. I wouldn't want to drive inside Prague but driving to Cesky Krumlov wasn't challenging at all. I'd recommend going for longer than a day though if you are going to Cesky Krumlov, I think it's 2 1/2-3 hours driving each way and there are several interesting places to stop en route including Ceske Budejovice, Konopiste and Hluboka nad Vltavou.

Parking was not difficult in any of the places we stopped but you will want to have change as most of the parking we found was metered.

by flynboxes

Why not take the bus and spend the night? I took the bus and had no problems after a connection in Ceske Budejovice. If I ever took my other half to Prague we would go back here. If you do go by car try and leave well after sunset as the village is something to see in the evening. I was there in the winter when there was snow on the ground and it was an experience I will not forget. I would suggest arriving after 1 -2 pm or so and go for a casual walk around as it is compact and leave after breakfast. Savor the place a bit..well worth it.

by Anastasia16

Thanks for your reply. I have been thinking that we should probably stay overnight. I still might hire a car though as we are due to fly back to australia at 4.30pm the next afternoon, that way I could leave the hire car at the airport? Do have have any suggestions for a one night stay?

by flynboxes

It's been some time since I was there but check some of the current hotel tips on VT and email the Inns or just show up as I did. LP had some good recomendations at the time I was there. Check out Hotylek U maleho Vitka
www.vitekhotel.cz. May have changed a bit but I did enjoy my stay there as I like the small Inns that Europe is famous for....price was not too bad at the time either. Check out my page on Krumlov..no pics of the hotel but got a couple of decent pics of the chateau and surrounds. The chateau is almost magical at night when it is lit up.

by DianaShangguan

Hi! When will you go to Cesky Krumlov? We'll go from Sweden to Vienna and then continue to Cesky Krumlov (might be on 22 or 23 of October). How about two of us join you for hiring car if it would be possible?

Travel Tips for Cesky Krumlov

Stay longer than just for the day!

by riika

I know many people think that they can go take a side trip to Cesky Krumlov just for the day and back, but you will just make yourself sorry if you don't at least take time to spend the night there. There is so much to see, eat, and drink, and many budget accomodations to choose from, so why not? I learned my lesson last time and will be spending much more time there during my trip in July! The scenery, getting there, the beautiful buildings, the weather, the delicious gypsy gulas, the Eggenberg beer!

Mountain Klet

by woodstockties

North of Cesky Krumlov in nature reserve "Blansk√Ĺ les" you will find the mountain "Klet".
Hardly known by foreign tourists , but Czech day-trippers know their way.
With a chairlift you can reach the top at 1083m , where you can look over Krumlov and even see the Alps in Austria when the weather is alright. Unfortunately it wasn't when i visited it.
Most of the Czechs walk down and search for mushrooms.

Getting to Cesky Krumlov

by nature_girl

We travelled to Cesky Krumlov by train from Prague, which took 4 or 5 hours (it's only 90 miles!). Maybe the bus would be a quicker option. Once you get to Cesky Krumlov by train, expect to take a bus or taxi to the old town.

Cake for breakfast

by kit_mc about U Klastera Cafe

This is a small coffee shop on a small side street opposite the Chateau. We popped in here fairly early to grab something for breakfast and settled on their rather nice cakes. Cake and a Latte for around 55 - 60SK. Cake! Chocolate cake!

Exploring the old town.

by dabidc

With several streets and lanes to follow, it is easy to walk around and look for buildings of interest or just take photos.

The view form the south side of the church is open and gives views of the surrounding country.

Comments