71 Nyhavn

Satisfaction Average

Costs 39% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• PierreZA's Profile Photo

Well Located hotel

This building was originally a wharehouse dating from the early 1800’s. It is located in the Nyhavn area of Copenhagen, very close to restaurants and shopping areas. You can easily explore central Copenhagen by foot from this area. The location is great.
    Rooms are fairly small. The service is excellent.

Unique Quality: Well located and good service

Directions: Nyhavn

• Djinn76's Profile Photo

The best disappoitement...

I was quite happy with my reservation, it seemed as if I had found a quaint little hotel in the heart of Copenhague!
    My first impressions seemed to confirm that, the building is an old warehouses that has been renovated with taste. That's definitely something different than the usual big chain hotel!

The reception is quite nice, the staff really friendly. I had my first doubt just after the check in, when explained how to reach my room (305): "take left, go down the stair, the lift is at your left"! Stairs? Not something really trolley-friendly!! When I stay at a hotel charging 200+€/night, the staff usually proposes to take care of my luggage. I always politely decline. Here, they didn't even propose it, no big deal, I'm not senile, just a small crack in the overall picture.

I really gasped when I saw the room! It's so tiny!! There is just enough space to barely fit the bed!! Otho it was pretty well decorated and the apparent timbers are definitely giving a charming look!
    It's just that it is so small! Oh and I forgot, what a view!! I think you'd have to pay extra if you want to see the water. In my case I was just lucky enough to face the wall of the second building in the back!

I gasped a second time when I saw the bathroom!! What an exploit!! I wouldn't have imagined it was possible to fit a WC, a shower and a sink within so few sq meters!! The trick? The shower doesn't have a receptor, the water is directly hitting the ground! That could definitely be something design and fashionable! That was not really the goal here and it simply means the bathroom is completely flooded when you try to use it!!

The bed was quite good but the sound insulation was a real pity! If someone is talking in the corridor, it will sound as if he is sitting close to your bed...and I'm not even mentioning door slamming!

Unique Quality: I'm really wondering how this hotel could have reached the 4 stars level!! From other comments read on the web, it looks like the rooms in the second buildings are more decent (and also more expensive). That's probably how!

The restaurant downstairs is on the expensive side as well and was rather empty! That's partly why I have also skipped the breakfast (+170DKK)

On the plus side, wireless Internet was available and free!! Enjoy it as long as it last, the infrastructure is ready to make it a pay per use service!

The location was obviously perfect, no bad surprise on that front! Copenhague is not so big and everything is at walking distance from the hotel!

Am I going to stay again? Probably not!! The Admiral hotel, 2 minutes from there, looks like a much better alternative!!

Directions: At the end (or beginning, depends how you look at it) of Nyhavn, in front of the sea.

• depresno's Profile Photo

71 Nyhavn Hotel

from 995,- / night for a double room. Nice suites, but more expensive.

Unique Quality: Located in the harbour area of Copenhagen close to daily and nightly activities, restaurants and shopping areas. The building has protected status and is originally an old wharehouse from 1804.

Directions: Nyhavn 71, DK-1051 KØBENHAVN K (Copenhagen), Denmark.

• mrsibf's Profile Photo

$150 US

Unique Quality: The rooms are small by U.S. standards but are very quaint, with beamed ceilings. The harbor view and the location in this neat area are what makes it special, though. Rates include a very nice breakfast in the hotel's dining room, which also serves lunch and dinner. Hotel is in foreground of this picture taken from a boat.

Directions: As the name suggests, it's at 71 Nyhavn. Nyhavn is a restored canal area fronting on the harbor with lots of restaurants, bars, tour boats, etc.

More about 71 Nyhavn

tiny rooms

by TripAdvisor Member dvdjm

Sorry not sure if the other people where staying at the same hotel we had room 220 and it was tiny - just so that you understand how small please see the photos. It also cost a fortune 199 euros a ight

How this hotel is 4 stars i do not know eg no tea / coffee facilities in room
Breakfast room unable to cope - had to queue and very expensive £20 per person

Location was good

Copenhagen is well worth a visit but there must be a better place to stay tahn here

Loved the hotel and location

by TripAdvisor Member okoboji4800

After reading many reviews of this hotel we didn't know what we were in for but we loved this hotel and would stay there again. Yes the rooms are fairly small but very clean. You can not beat the location for exploring the city and the Nyhavn area. The breakfast was great and staff courteous and helpful. This is a great Copenhagen hotel and much more quaint and appealing to us than the larger chain hotels around Tivoli.

Room Size

by TripAdvisor Member skeeterville

I just wanted to weigh in on the issue of room size at the 71. A while back my wife and I booked a room for four days. A review in Frommers (or maybe it was Fodors) raved about how "romantic" the rooms were.

Well, the romance must have been forced romance, because there wasn't enough room for two people to be in the room without touching. It was by far the smallest room I have ever stayed in in any hotel or B&B. The room was claustrophobic! Definitely not charming.

We arranged to leave after just one day and moved to the Sophie Amalie (now called the Front), around the corner, where the rooms were cheaper and much larger.

That being said, the location is wonderful, and the people at the front desk were accomodating. But the hotel falls in the "never again" category for me.

Not perfect, but definitely unique

by TripAdvisor Member otdol

You can like the size of the rooms or not, but the location is beautiful (great jogging along the harbour!) and in general the hotel is unique - you will never wake up and not know where you are, like in one of those international chain hotels. I stayed at the Nyhavn on several occasions, always for 3-4 nights and generally speaking I liked it very much. Most of my colleagues like it and return often. I dont believe that the rooms are much smaller than in other hotels in Copenhagen, but the slanting beams do make them seem closed in. The staff are very polite and helpful but the night manager is a particular delight - I enjoyed meeting him as I always arrived late at night. The breakfast is great, and the bar is fantastic although expensive. They also have a very good room service menu, although the restaurant can be uneven in performance. The only downside is that it can be really hard to get a taxi during rush hour and I've seen people wait for 30 minutes and more in the morning - including me....

Beware of rooms without a view

by TripAdvisor Member olifant

I just returned from Hotel Nyhavn71 and I must say: The money wasn't worth it. We made the mistake that we did not book a room with a view. The first room we moved into was towards the red brick part which is usually pictured in City Guides. The room was small but clean, as well as the bathroom. Negative aspects were the stained carpet (mentioned by another critic before) and a very noisy generator on the bottom of the courtyard which we faced, which made it impossible to leave the window open.
So we asked for another room and moved from room 424 to room 123 which was facing the opposite courtyard but perfectly quiet and beautifully furnished with parquet.
The small rooms should be seen as a tribute to the history of the building. The location is picturesque and central.
The slow breakfast service with a lack of enough tables during the "rush hour" and an average breakfast buffet contributed to the fact that we were struck by the price of 500 Euros per double room per weekend.
If I ever returned I would explicitly ask for a room with a harbourfront view.

Nice location; beautiful views; GREAT STAFF

by TripAdvisor Member clongwor

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location on a canal. We heeded the warnings and asked for a room with a view. The Restaurant is closed on Sundays which was a little annoying but just a little way down the street are all the restaurants you could want.
Although the rooms are small, we found out that the local folks' homes tend to be small as well.

The best thing was the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff. They did their best to make us comfortable. They booked our train tickets and called other restaurants for reservations. We were there the week of a terrorist scare in London and the hotel posted large flyers telling us about the new luggage restrictions. This info gave us an edge over the other travelers and we encountered no delays in our flight home.

Definitely would stay there again.

Comments