Comfort Hotel G

More about Copenhagen

Brondby stadiumBrondby stadium

The organThe organ

Kongens HaveKongens Have

fortress seen from townfortress seen from town

A Day in Copenhagen

by nadapinova

Hi, everybody, I am planning a trip to Denmark and I would like to ask if there is anybody there willing to recommend (or maybe show me around) some interesting places to visit in Copenhagen in one day. I will have free Saturday 7th November. And I would love to do the same if you come to visit Prague (my capital) anytime. :-)

by lmkluque

Hi,

I'm not from Copenhagen, but can tell you there is a lot to see and do in a day. They have a shopping street, Tivoli Gardens, The Glyptoteck museum which is free and has some pretty nice art work and some really nice restaurants. Dragor is a small, old and historical village just across the bridge from Copenhagen, It is situated on the bay and it is worth the time to go to see it.

There is a place called Christina, I think, that seems to be sort of place that is "free." I've heard good and not so good things about it, but it does sound interesting.

If you want to meet some VT'ers, you could go to the "VT Meetings" page and announce that you'd like to have a VT Meeting in Copenhagen. I know there are some active VT'ers who love to meet up with other travelers. Give it a try.

Good Luck,
Linda

by HansDK

Entrance to Glyptotek museum is free on Sundays only. Other days the entrance fee is DKK 60. The museum is closed on Mondays.

by HansDK

You can find inspiration on what to do and see here:

Early November is not the best time for outdoor activities.

by lmkluque

>>>Entrance to Glyptotek museum is free on Sundays only.

Oops! I must have gone on Sunday? Thanks Hans for the correcton.

Sorry to give out the wrong information.

BTW, has this always been the case? I thought I read on the website--years ago--that entrance was free. Maybe I just missed the Sunday part.

by cachaseiro

We are a few active members of this website in Copenhagen and we love to meet up with visiting members and show them around.
It would be a pleasure to host you and show you Copenhagen if you if you would like that.

by ValbyDK

Please let me know if there is going to be a Copenhagen-meet on Saturday 6th November. I would like to join the meet, and - as Claus wrote - it would be a pleasure to show you around Copenhagen.

by nadapinova

Great, great!
Thanks for your message! I would love to meet you and your friends in Copenhagen and enjoy your city together. This will be my first visit to Denmark so I am looking forward to seeing your country very much. I am arriving early in the morning on Saturday the 6th November and I then I have to be in Slagelse on Sunday. I have prebooked my accommodation in a hostel in Copenhagen for Saturday and Sunday night. I am looking forward to your reply.. :-)

by cachaseiro

That sounds great.
I will be flying in to Copenhagen myself on thursday the 6th so I will be in town that day.
I think we should set it up as a vt meet on the meetings page and see if we can get a few members together for a nice day of exploring Copenhagen.
What about meeting at noon somewhere central and then see what the weather is like and take it from there when it comes to sightseeing?
And then we can always find some lunch and dinner along the way.

by jonkb

Wish I could help, but I'm not available on Nov 6th.

Travel Tips for Copenhagen

Map of the city

by SandiMandi

When visiting a new city, it's always important to have a good map! If you haven't got a map of CPH in advance, no problem, there are many places where you can get one once you arrive.
I'm sure there are maps available already at the airport, but I got mine from the train I took to the centre. It was a very good one, and it also had a map of Malmö, which was very convenient as I planned to go there as well.

I also visited the tourist information office where I got another map, which was very handy, too. There are two self guided tours mentioned in this one, in case you want to explore the city on your own.

Study in Copenhagen

by sorenf

The Danes are very proud of our free education, which will give you a PhD for free if you can stand studying for so long. It's a little known fact (outside of China apparently) that the system actually extends to foreigners as well. Yes that’s right, you can study for free, zip, nothing at Copenhagen Business School, University of Copenhagen and DTU technical university as well as any other higher education facility in Denmark.

The rules are: Max 2% of the students at any particular faculty may be non-EU foreigners. You have to qualify on equal terms with the Danes. You have to pay for housing, books etc.

I reality nowhere near 2% are non-EU, so there's really nothing holding you back. However, if you study at a foreign university and want to have a semester in Denmark you might have to pay, depending on your home university’s rules because then you are doing an exchange.

LATEST: I am told that from next school year there will be a fee for foreigners. I don't know how much or who will have to pay. University of Copenhagen
Copenhagen Business School
Denmark's Technical University
Information about applying
Information about applying at UC They require that you understand Danish, however there are plenty of courses taught in English at master level, in fact almost all at Economics where I went, so I can't believe it will be a problem, and I think you would be allowed to apply without speaking Danish, if you know all your classes will be taught in English. Please contact Foreign Students’ Office for more information.

Walks and a boattour are the way to see a lot

by Pavlik_NL

Discover the city by means of many short walks in different districts that are well-connected by an excellent public transport. Don't forget to make a boattour and see the town as the Danish shippers saw it many times when coming home. The shoppingstreets of Copenhague have a very special atmosphere and short strawls from them lead to many wonderful places like the palacesquare and the quaypark with the famous statue of the 'Lille Havfrue' (Little Mermaid). Tivoli, the romantic attractionpark in the midst of town. Take an evening (or many more) to enjoy it.

Gefion fountain

by grandmaR

This is a large fountain located in Langelinie Park near one of the cruise ship docks. It is next to Kastellet and is the largest monument in Copenhagen. The fountain was donated to the city of Copenhagen by the Carlsberg Foundation on the occasion of the brewery’s 50-year anniversary. It was originally supposed to be located in the main town square outside city hall, but it was decided instead to build it near the Øresund in its current location near Kastellet ("The Citadel"). It was designed by Danish artist Anders Bundgaard, who sculpted the naturalistic figures 1897-99. The basins and decorations were completed in 1908. The fountain was first activated on July 14, 1908. According to the legend, the Swedish king Gylfi promised Gefjun the territory she could plow in a night. She turned her four sons into oxen, and the territory they plowed out of the earth was then thrown into the sea between Sweden and the island of Fyn in Denmark. The recorded guide material on the bus says that it could be true because Zealand and one of the lakes resemble each other in size and shape. My granddaughter found it amusing that the narrative said that the legend could be true.

Cinemas

by ValbyDK

At the Axeltorv Square you’ll find a very colourful building which houses Palads - just one of many cinemas in the Copenhagen area. Most of the cinemas shows the mainstream movies, but Cinemateket in Gothersgade often has a special arrangement. Cinemateket is a part of the Danish Film Institute: Cinemateket

Movies are not dubbed but are screened in original versions with subtitles.

Comments