Vesterbrogade 30, 1. Sal, Copenhagen, 1620, Denmark

Priceline.com Booking.com HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Average

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Cheap budget stay in Central Area

Having spent way too much money in Norway, when we arrived in Copenhagen, we again needed to save our money. Hotel Louven came up many times on the cheaper lists of central accommodation.

While it is true that you get what you pay for, bare in mine that prices in Denmark are higher than other countries. A private double for $50 per person (including sheets and towels) is a bargain.

The rooms are plain, with simple bed, plain desk and lamp. If you have the private (en suite) rooms, your bathroom will be clean. The shared bathrooms for the bunk rooms are not always that clean. The bells of the nearby church can be a bit loud in the morning if your room is on the East side.

Upon arriving, you can ring the reception from the buzzer on the street. Check out (10am) involves simply dropping your keys in a box. Otherwise, the reception room is rarely open, so if you need something, you need to hit the buzzer from the street.

Unique Quality: Sheets and towels are included.
    Payment is required upon check-in.
    WiFi is available on the lower levels, but maybe only strong enough in the kitchen.
    The kitchen is not very good, there is a microwave and a toaster, not much more.

Directions: ~500m west of Central Station and Tivoli

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Budget hotel, close to central station

I stayed at Loeven Hotel for 2 nights during a visit to Copenhagen in August 2007.

I made my booking via www.hostelbookers.com and paid 35 GBP per night for a private single room with shared bathroom facilities. Rooms for 2 to 5 people are available for cheaper prices per person.

Location:

This budget hotel is located on Vesterbrogade, less than a 10 minute walk from the central train station and Tivoli Gardens. From the train station: head left along Bernstorffsgade for 50m, the turn left onto Vesterbrogade (you’ll see the Hard Rock café on the corner to your right hand side). Walk down Vesterbrogade for 500m or so and you’ll see Loeven Hotel on the right hand side. It is quite easy to miss, but there is a sign on the outside of the building. Ring the appropriate bell for the hotel and you’ll be let in. Reception is on the first floor.

Bedroom

My small single room was located on the hotel’s 4th floor. There is a glass fronted lift in the hotel, so no need to walk up too many stairs.

The room was tiny, with a single bed, a small set of drawers, a wooden table and chair, a lamp, a waste paper basket and a mirror and two paintings on the wall. That was it. There was no television, no telephone and no wardrobe. I knew what I was getting for my money and I was happy to forego these luxuries in order to obtain a cheap room in a central location. While the room was small and simple, it was also clean and comfortable.

The shared shower room consisted of a toilet, a washbasin and a shower attachment. There was no bathtub or shower cubicle, simply an attachment and a curtain. I was happy enough with these arrangements given the short length of my stay. The hotel provided clean towels each day and the shower room was cleaned daily by the maids.

Unique Quality: .

Hotel: General

The friendly receptionist who greeted me when I first checked in spoke perfect English and was happy to tell me a bit about the city and to provide me with a free street map.

She also told me to feel free to make use of the communal kitchen, which included complimentary coffee and tea, and to make use of the fridge if I so desired (and to mark anything that I put in there with a sticker to identify it as mine). Given the short length of my stay, I never needed to use, nor even saw, the kitchen.

I saw a sign on a door that was advertising breakfast for 49 Kroners, but I never found out what it consisted of.

Guests have to check out of their rooms by 10am, but the receptionist was happy for me to store my baggage, free of charge, in reception until I left for the train station late in the afternoon.

An excellent value, centrally located hotel. Highly recommended for budget travellers!

Directions: Located on Vesterbrogade, about 10 minutes walking distance from the central train station and Tivoli Gardens.

• debemaks's Profile Photo

Loeven - The lion hostel

Loeven is a nice hostel in Vesterbrogade, from the station, just exit and lead leftwards for 500 meters, it's at the 4th floor, it's arranged like apartaments, so you'll share bathroom and kitchen with other rooms (we got 2 double!).
    It's quite cheap and in just 5 minute walks you're at Tivoli and at the beginning of Stroeget.
    Just close to the red district, quite cheap!

Directions: from the station, just exit and lead leftwards for 500 meters, it's at the 4th floor

• natwest's Profile Photo

Probably the worst hotel in Copenhagen

This hotel is on Vesterbrogade, the main artery of Copenhagen. It's only 5-10 min away from Copenhagen Central Station, directly opposite a Danhostel and 7-11. This is the only plus point that I can think of.

The staff isn't very polite, but I wouldn't say rude either. You pay when you check-in. When you check-out, you leave your keys in the letter box outside the main office. Check-out time is 1000. Breakfast?? You must be out of your mind.

Your room should have a side table (with lamp), a writing desk, a chair and a bed (of course). The window wasn't fully functionable, but luckily it wasn't that hot when I was there.

The WC and shower should be your main concern. I have to warn you that the toilet and especially the shower isn't very clean. If you are staying in en-suite rooms, then lucky you, your toilet should be reasonably clean. The water flow is so weak that, I think I need to stand there for 5 min just to get wet and the outflow is next to non-existence or indeed very very slow, so people, minimize your time in the shower.

BE WARNED, this is a very basic hotel but given the low price (DKK 350/night for a single room) you pay (Don't forget Scandinavian prices are outrageous), I think it's a fair deal.

Unique Quality: Unfortunately, this "hotel" do not have any facility, except a lift, which is at least better than some other European hotels.

Directions: From the main entrance of the train station, turn left on Versterbrogade. The building is on your right hand side. The reception is located on the first floor of this residential building.

Comments