Saga Hotel Copenhagen

grandmaR's Profile Photo

Near the Train Station

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 6, 2009

There was some kind of convention in town on the dates we were there, and this was the only hotel room we could get except for a hostel. It is very conveniently located near the train station and Tivoli in an area with a lot of other hotels.

The taxi driver had never heard of the Saga Hotel, and the map and address was in the trunk of the cab in my carry-on. I said it was near the railway station and Tivoli. So he got us there and said to me - where do you think it is? And I said, "Probably it's around that corner", and we turned the corner and there it was. He said "How did you know that", and I said I didn't know, but I thought I remembered on the map that was where it was. He said I must be a genius, and I said no that I just liked maps. He thought that was funny. He had to back down the street as it was one way towards us.

He warned us that we should keep our cameras and money well concealed in this neighborhood, but the neighborhood seems to be a mini-Chinatown and doesn't feel spooky at all. Although I did see a Sex Shop on the way in. We were checked in before noon

The room has two twin beds with duvets, a flat screen TV locked to the wall, and a window out onto the courtyard which had two fiberglass cows in it, and also bikes which we could have rented from the hotel. We had a private bath. There were no elevators, but our room was on the first floor and was quiet as it was on the courtyard. We walked up to the second floor to get breakfast. Since it was cold and rainy while we were there we didn't need A/C

The receptionist told us that we could use the computer in the lobby for free, but that if we used the LAN cable in the room or the computer through the TV it would cost extra. I tried to log on from the lobby without success, and finally used their computer to send a message. The hotel receptionist told me that the hotel wi-fi was sagareception, and really it was Saga reception. Once I got logged on, I could send emails from the room, although if I didn't send stuff right away the wi-fi apparently lost interest in me and told me that I wasn't connected to the internet.

Unique Quality: I had set the timer on the TV to wake us up at 6:45 and it actually did. We went to breakfast. Breakfast was very good - they had cereal and milk, orange and apple juice various kinds of bread (rye crisp, pumpernickel and white bread) butter, rolls, sliced meats, cheese, liver pate, and Danish. I particularly liked the chocolate one. They also had tea and coffee. Breakfast is 7 to 10:30.

We took naps and showered and then went out to see the city. We managed after some difficulty (asking directions 3 or 4 times - fortunately the hotel gave us a map with the hotel marked on it) to find our way back to our hotel which is on a very back street.

The menu on the TV tended to come up on the PPV area, but that there were free channels which had US movies on them. We could also sometimes get the Danish news and weather.

The charge on my credit card was $167/night for two people with a private bath and breakfast

Directions: About a half block from the train station

barryg23's Profile Photo

Cheapish Copenhagen Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 13, 2006

Saga Hotel was the cheapest hotel we could find for our trip. There was a Rotary Club convention on in Malmo and Copenhagen at the same time so most hotels were full up well in advance and we had to try many hotels before we found anywhere with vacancies.

The price was 720 Krone for a double room with shared shower and bathroom. A very nice buffet breakfast was included. Our room was on the 3 floor and from our window we could see Tivoli park in the distance. We also had a TV with numerous channels. We spent most of our time exploring Copenhagen but when we were in the room it was good to be able to watch the World Cup. The staff were very friendly and we were very happy with our choice of hotel. I'd rarely pay this much for a hotel in any city but Copenhagen is more expensive than most.

Most of Copenhagen's cheaper rooms are found west of the central train station in the Vesterbro area. This is also home to Copenhagen's red-light district though it's a lot quieter than Amsterdam's or Hamburg's.

Directions: Near Central Station

Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

Saga hotellet, good affordable stay

by written on September 8, 2002

We stayed in the Saga-hotellet, which I can recommend for budget-tourists. It is at the borders of the red light district and very comfortable. Reckon with the fact that the pricelevel in Denmark - as in the whole of Scandinavia - is high. So also hotels and services can be pretty expensive.

Nearby Saga Hotel Copenhagen

9 Photos of Saga Hotel Copenhagen

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Saga Hotel Copenhagen

• Free High Speed Internet

Copenhagen Travel Forum

Need advice about Copenhagen, Denmark? Visit the Travel Forum for Copenhagen and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Copenhagen hotel reviews

Thoughts about Copenhagen
Helsingør
Amber
Shopping
Mail, e-mail, telephone, internet etc.
Food.