Somandshjemmet Bethel Copenhagen

Nyhavn 22, Copenhagen, Zealand, 1051, Denmark

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Harbour life hotel

The "seamens home" is today a popular place so book early. I haven't stayed here myself but the location is great. Smack bang in the middle of Copenhagen and next to the canal and bars at Nyhavn. Step outside for bobbing boats all year round and beer gardens in summer. Even if you speak Danish you might wonder about the staff accents - it's Faroese as many come from the islands due to Faroese management. Just around DKK 800 for a double room.

Unique Quality: Ask for rooms 222 or 322 (slightly more expensive) for harbour views of Nyhavn and the inlet to Copenhagen.

Directions: Nyhavn - the famous canal area at the far end of Ströget. You see it when you reach Kongens Nytorv.

More about Somandshjemmet Bethel Copenhagen

Excellent cheap hotel

by TripAdvisor Member nikite

Bethel Hotel is the perfect choice for anyone seeking for a cheap hotel in the "expensive" Copenhagen. Double room is only 795-895 DK, bath are small, but rooms are large and clean. We advice you to ask for a corner view room: you'll have the chance to have a favored look at the romantic kyhavn canal. The hotel is hosted by nice danish crew, breakfast is essential but complete. Furthermore, bethel is "just around the corner": stroget shopping street and metro stop (line M2 directly connected to the kastrup airport) are only 5 minutes walks. Maybe during summer the hotel could be to close to crowded kyhavn canale, but We definitively suggest this hotel!

Mixed feelings about this (basic) hotel

by TripAdvisor Member bettoneyvere

My experience at this hotel, and my views about it, changed over the four days that I was there. Copenhagen is a very expensive city and I chose this hotel because the rate is reasonable (given the exchange rate). The location is fantastic and the staff were, generally, very helpful. The hotel is, however, very basic (2* at the most) and this was a bit of a surprise to me even after reading earlier reviews on TripAdvisor. My room was a good size, with good working space, reasonably clean, but the decor was very dated. The sofa in the room had some small holes in the cover that looked like cigarette burns even though the room was non-smoking. No tea/coffee making facilities (though you can get tea and coffee at any time in the breakfast room). No mini-bar, room safe etc - not necessarily a problem, just a note. Very small bathroom, although functional (wet-room style shower, toilet and basin). The bed was very comfortable and there were always plenty of towels. You can also get wi-fi, which is great if you are there on business (as I was) although it is rather expensive. The curtains in the room were very thin and, in almost the middle of summer, did nothing to keep the long-evening and very early morning sunlight out. No air-conditioning so in the very middle of summer the room would be very hot but it would be very noisy to sleep with the windows open. The walls are also very thin - I could hear the shower curtain being pulled across in the bathroom of the room next to me! Despite these various niggles, I got used to the place and started to find it quite charming in a basic kind of way. But on the third of four nights there, there was a school group staying (as I later discovered) and the noise from the room above me continued very loudly throughout the night which made sleep difficult. In the morning I was woken up by someone trying to break into my room. When I reported this to the front desk, I was simply told that there had been a school group and that someone must have mistook my room for someone else's. Not entirely comforting for a woman travelling on her own!

Would I stay here again? If it was just me and it was just for a night or two and I could be certain there would be no school groups or large tour groups in, and if the budget wouldn't stretch to anything else, then yes I might stay here again. If I were travelling with my partner, probably not. Would I recommend to anyone else - possibly, but with the various cautions above so that they could make up their own mind.

Location, location, location

by TripAdvisor Member 02retired

Having review your preivous response we decided to give this hotel a try for the three days in Copenhagen prior to your Baltic sailing. This location is just great where you can walk to all sites. The hotel had sent us a map to get to their location from the airport and we had no problems at all as it was only ten minutes from the Metro. The hotel was very clean, great mattress, and be warned if you want a bathtub you will have to do with a shower. We had a corner room which looked over the canal so that we could people watch with ease. The breakfast was great, eggs, cereal both hot and cold, toast, bread, rolls, danish, and fantastic cheeses. Coffee and tea was available 24 hours. Be warned however if you want to sleep in the breakfast can be limited if you get there after 9:00 am. This hotel is great as you can walk to all areas very easily with the canal tour right at your door step.
Nancy and Larry

have a plan B

by TripAdvisor Member travelswithmimi

We made reservations (6 month in advance) based on the good prices. Because no deposit was taken I felt compelled to confirm 30 days prior. YIKES!!!....they had written the reservation for the wrong date. I sent them their original email showing the date was correct when reserved. They replied they would see what they could do. 12 days passed and we were becoming concerned we would not have rooms. I emailed them again and they replied they were working on it. I got on TripAdvisor and found other rooms and booked elsewhere. Making reservations that late cost us alot of money.

After we were already on our journey I got an email saying we would have some type of room...not sure though what kind. I knew then we had made the right decision to stay elsewhere.

When we were in Copenhagen we walked over to check it out. I was glad we were elsewhere. Its okay but there are better values when you consider some other hotels offer a huge breakfast and evening meal that saved us a bunch of money. When we figured in our meal savings we probably saved money in the long run.

If you are on a bare bones budget you might want to try this hotel but have a plan "B"....just in case.

Basic and Budget

by TripAdvisor Member VLG

Many positives:
Convenient to public transportation
Great location for walking all over town
Beds - very comfortable
Coffee & Tea 24 hours in eating area - no charge
Fun, safe location

Why Basic & Budget?
Shower in bathroom - had to squeegee the floors
No amenities or bathroom supplies
Fuzzy TV reception
Small holes in sofa

Would I stay there again?
Absolutely - $165 USD is a bargain in very expensive Scandanavia.

Great value and location

by TripAdvisor Member GlasgowCitybreaker

Very reasonably priced hotel in what can be a very expensive city. The hotel is probably in the best location for a holiday in Copenhagen- in the heart of Nyehaven and in easy walking distance of nearly every sight. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and if not plush have everyhtning you could need. The 24 hour free coffee in the lounge was great if you wanted a quick break from sightseeing. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and the overall atmosphere was very welcoming. Highly recommended.

Great, simple and friendly, superb location

by TripAdvisor Member withwill

The rooms are simply furnished, the beds very comfortable and we had a view of the side side street but you could see the wonderful canal too which was fantastic. TV which was a bit blurry not a problem for us. Bathroom was clean and a wet room which was fine, nothing fancy but its clean and worked well.

Staff very friendly and helpful and the rooms were changed and made up every day with fresh towels. Ask to see the church which is downstairs-very interesting. It is still christian run but this is not imposed at all.

The buffet breakfast is in a large room by the reception and it was good, breads, rolls, cheeses, meat, cereal, tea, cofee, fruit juice and eggs. All you need to set you up for the day. Tea and coffee is available 24hrs which is great, no kettles in the rooms.

This is not a hotel to come to if you want lots of extras and amenities. However if you want a friendly hotel that provides the basics very well this is for you. The location on the nyhavn canal is superb and its about a 20 min walk to the Tivoli area but this area holds a lot of interest.

There was not a lot of noise from our rooms, i dont know what this would be like from the front rooms however. There are bars/restaurants on the canal mostly on the other side. They are quite expensive but good for drinks in the evening.

I spent lot of time looking for hotels in Copenahgen and price and location wise this cant be beaten.

Basic - great value

by TripAdvisor Member ApgoopTwinCities

Hotel Bethel is a basic hotel with both good and not so good qualities. On the positive side...clean, great location, good prices, great breakfast (included), and helpful staff. Beds are low and not very comfortable, showers are unique, the pricing and sizes of rooms do not necessarily match, noise from the bars can be an issue. All in all, location and basics make a grerat value.

Good Basic Hotel in The Heart of the City

by TripAdvisor Member BillF

This hotel sits right on nthe Nyhaven Canal and is centrally located to the downtown area. A short bus ride from the central station on the 1A bus. These are basic rooms, small, but they are clean and if you are in the back of the hotel, it is quiet. This is a good value hotel.

Comments