Hotel Lille Nord

Vestre Strandvej 28, Skagen, 9990, Denmark
Hotel Skibssmedien Skagen
Booking.com Priceline.com Hotels.com

More about Skagen

Skagen from the topSkagen from the top

Vippefyret - the viewVippefyret - the view

Saxilds GaardSaxilds Gaard

View from the topView from the top

hostel question

by hrothgarorange

hi, my friend and i want to spend about 5 days at skagen, but the only hostel we could find info about costs around 500kroner (100dollars, about) per night! Which is crazy. So, if anyone could tell me anything about reasonably priced accomodations in skagen, that would be wonderful. (ie, we are poor students)
joseph

RE: hostel question

by Sjalen

The official Danhostel in Skagen takes DKK 120 for a dorm bed (DKK 325 if you want to stay in your own double room but with public amenities in the corridor):

Don't know if I can find anything cheaper. Skagen is a holiday paradise and very popular...

RE: hostel question

by cachaseiro

you could also resort to camping if you are on a budget.
there are lot's of campsites around skagen.

Travel Tips for Skagen

the danish language

by Hildeal

In Norway we often joke about the Danish language. It's often hard to understand, and we wonder why it got this way. They have a very strange pronounciation, like they have a potato in their mouth and they never finish their words, it's like they're swallow it instead,

So this is a video made by some Norwegian comics about the danish language. So all danes please don't be affended, this is just for fun Yahoo

'Den Tilsandede Kirk

by lmkluque

Two of the most famous natural sights in Danmark are found in Skagen. The largest migrating sand dune, 'Råbjerg Mile' and 'Den Tilsandede Kirk,' ( the church buried in the sand,) the tower of which rises from the sand.

This church was the largest medieval church in Denmark. It was closed by 1795 because the sand kept blocking the doorway and finally the villagers gave up trying to dig the sand out. Eventually the whole village surrounding it was buried as well. The Church was torn down in 1810 with the exception of the white washed tower which was used as a navigational landmark.

As I looked at this tower and realized that it was the tallest structure in the village buried below, the power of these north winds moving sand struct me profoundly. This mound was not created by man rebuilding over and over, it was created by sand blowing in the wind.

Meeting of the Kattegat and North Sea

by lmkluque

A wonderous sight is the definitve line between two seas. In Skagen, at the northern tip of North Jutland, a trip to the beach is a given, but the surprise of viewing the meeting of two currents is great indeed. It was something I had never thought of and it was awesome.

It was a very cool October day when I came to the beach in Skagen and the northern waters were even colder so I didn't jump in. Still, I could imagine a hot summer's day swimming in the North Sea and my friend swimming in the Kattergat. We could see each other while in two different bodies of water. Amazing!

Yellow Houses

by Zandra

The small fishing harbor of Skagen has attracted visitors for many years, starting in the mid 1800s with artists like P.S. Kroyer, Michael & Anna Ancher (Nordic light school), who came to paint the dramatic scenery and the special "glowing light".

Most of the buildings in Skagen are painted in this pale yellow color (known as Skagen yellow) and have red tile roofs and white edges.

Det Hvide Fyr

by ValbyDK

On my way from the centre in Skagen to Grenen (read my other tip) I passed this white lighthouse. The lighthouse is called Det Hvide Fyr (the White Light) and was built in 1747 to replace the old vippefyr (read my other tip). The tower has a height of 19metres and the light was visible for 40kilometres.

The lighthouse was designed by Danish architect, Phillip de Lange – who also designed the Amalienborg Castle in Copenhagen. I think the lighthouse has some similarity to the Round Tower, also in Copenhagen. The White Light is amongst the 10 Danish towers, which are historically listed buildings.

In November 1858 the light was replaced and 100 years later the White Light was restored in its current shape. Today it is used for local exhibitions and as an outlook point. I wasn’t inside the lighthouse.

Comments