Puhkekodu 4, Laulasmaa, Tallinn, 76702, Estonia
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Tallinn

Monument to Rusalka, TallinnMonument to Rusalka, Tallinn

The Euro is celebrated in gingerbread!The Euro is celebrated in gingerbread!

The saladThe salad

SchnitzelSchnitzel

bus service fron cruise dock

by warrenrd

is there bus service from where the Princess will dock? I will be in Tallinn for only 6 hours on Sept.7 and want to see Old town very much THANK YOU

by Donna_in_India

Hi - you may also want to post your question on www.cruisecritic.com - it is filled with cruise info. Go to boards, then ports of call.... Have a great cruise!!

by leics

There are bus services form the docks in Tallinn but the old town is within easy walking distance anyway (15 minutes or so, depending on where your ship actually berths). As buses and trams do not enter the historical part of Tallinn you may as well walk (you'll see more that way) or perhaps get a taxi.

With a 6-hour stop you will have ample time to explore the city. There is a hop-on bus service, but it's up to you whether you bother. I didn't. I walked everywhere (the historical centre is not huge), and took tram or bus to outlying places such as the rather wonderful open-air ethnographic museum.

Hop-on routes & info on this page:

by grandmaR

Basically a lot of the old town area does not allow any vehicles as there are stairs and very narrow streets. Within the Old Town itself are some taxis in the wider streets. If you can walk 10 or 15 minutes to town, as lerics says, that would probably the best way.

We were in Tallinn in June, and I tried to find a way to tour the Old Town without walking a lot. The ship sold a shuttle bus pass for $8.00 round trip (this was HAL and not Princess) and I bought that. The Hop On Hop Off bus was also there at the pier.

Since I did not want to walk that much, I took the shuttle into town, but the drop off point was unsatisfactory because I couldn't tell where we were as the bus stop was not marked on the map they gave us. I would have thought the shuttle would have taken us to the Fat Margaret gate which would have been the closest, and I wanted to see the museum there. But that wasn't where they left us.

We did walk into town from the shuttle bus stop (which I still don't know where it was), and around the Viru gate I picked up a pedicab which could go down the most narrow streets (although not the steps of course). We had an hours tour and I thought this was a good way to see the things I wanted to see in the town. He did all the hard work of getting up to Toompea.

We would have had time to see more stuff on our own if I had the energy, but we went on back on the shuttle and were back in time to have a late lunch on the ship.

Re: Bus service fron cruise dock

by thirstytraveller

No,there's no bus service to the old town since it's max 10 minutes away from the harbour. The number 2 bus goes to the airport via town center.

by grandmaR

The cruise ships DO run a shuttle bus from the dock to town.

Travel Tips for Tallinn

The Tallinn Card

by jonkb

The Tallinn card goes almost everywhere in Tallinn.

It's a credit card style card thats sold at most hotels airport and the tourist information. The card gives free admission to several of the museums and free public transport.

Prices vary according to the period the card is issued for. The 6 hour card has some limitations, and costs 130 EEK. The 72 hour card costs 450 EEK. Along with the card you get an exelent guidebook, "Tallinn In Your Pocket", a map and a newspaper. If you're serious about touristing you'll get this card, even if you're just seeing a few museums.

By day...

by TheWanderingCamel

Whether wandering through the narrow streets, past old merchant's houses and tall churches, in the Old Town (All-Linn) or making your way around the elegant, aristocratic houses and government buidlings of Toompea with their classical architecture and grand facades, you cannot help but be charmed by the colour and variety of the buidings here. Every street and square has some gem of a house or a church, often side by side with several others. Even if you have only a few hours here, do take the time to explore some of the small side streets, and if your time is longer I'm sure you'll find yourself discovering new delights everytime you walk down a street. The way turning a corner or looking through a window gave a new perspective of a building or a street you had seen many times before. Catching sight of a tall spire over the top of other buildings. The colours of the houses standing out against the grey skies. There seemed always to be something different to look at as well as favourite buildings to see anew.

I love the old city

by Gili_S

The old city of course.
Tallinn is very friendly small city
The tourism there just started to grow
and a lot of small businesses as cafes, restaurants, pubs, souvenirs shops etc just starting to develop. Not for public eye.

Cakes

by cheekymarieh

Everywhere we went there seemed to be cakes waiting to tempt us. On arrival in Tallinn we headed for a snack and a drink. As well as the nice healthy salad I also couldn't resist a tempting cake. At Kadriorg Palace we needed a drink and we ended up with a cake too. Put temptaion in my way and I can't resit!

If you do a lot of walking you can eat them without feeling guilty!

Hostel with no name

by derekmacd

You can get a bus from Riga, in Lativa, to Tallinn, in Estonia. There's a cheap Hostel in Tallinn called the 'Hostel with no name' and thats where I had booked into. The Hostel is low budget, a little short on facilities, (one shower) but it's very central. I didn't have any problems there worth mentioning. Almost opposite the hostel I discovered what appeared to be a restaurant. It caught my attention because of the Irish music that was being played onto the street from down the stairs. Brendan, from Cork, was running the place and we ended up having a wail of a night. Has anyone come across him....I think he was planning to open a place in Moscow !

Comments