Chola Guest House

planxty's Profile Photo

A wonderful find.

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 30, 2011

Most of the attendees at the Euromeet were staying at the Millenium Hotel, and it became a sort of base / HQ / meeting place for us. I have to say the staff there were great, and the public areas excellent. Everyone I spoke to that stayed there spoke highly of it. However, being on somewhat of a budget, not strict but what I would describe as a mid-range traveller, I thought I would look around for other options and I am really glad with what I found. It really is a little gem.

Arriving at the door of the delightful and obviously recently refurbished building, which I subsequently discovered had been the home of a rich merchant, I rang the bell and was admitted by a delightful lady with excellent English who, having checked my reservation, walked me through a gorgeous wooden floored hallway to a door which, for some reason, I assumed was going to be a reception area or some such. Not a bit of it, it was straight into the room which, for what I was paying, astounded me. The photograph will hopefully give you an idea.

With a front door key and an assurance the door was never bolted at night, I sallied forth into the town to meet the rest of the VTers. After a wonderful night, the only problem about this wonderful place became evident. It really is hard to find. I am normally really good about recognising "markers" as I go along so I can retrace my steps but I managed to get hopelessly lost on the way home. OK, I can deal with this, I have been in worse holes.

I found an all night bakery (excellent pastries by the way) and engaged on yet another of what I call my adventures. Even now, to my shame, I speak about three words of Macedonian. Picture the scene. A baker in full whites who does not speak a word of English and I am trying to make my way back through poorly lit backstreets to a hotel. No problem. I still have, as a lovely souvenir of Macedonian hospitality and as a reference for again, the paper bag he wrote the map on for me. I arrived easily.

All this is a bit of a diversion if you want to read about the hotel which is probably how you found this webpage in the first place but serves to give an idea of the delightfully laid back atmosphere of Bitola. I never felt threatened walking round the streets late at night or indeed at any other time. People are concerned about going to slightly out of the way hotels but you have no need to be, it really is quite safe.

To the technicalities, the room I had was booked as a single although, as you see, it was actually a twin. Whether this would be possible in high season, I do not know. The tariff is room only, but there really is no problem getting a very tasty breakfast within five minutes walk of the door. There are tea and coffeee making facilities. The room was ensuite with tolietries supplied, hot water on demand (be sure to put on the boiler first) and I was absolutely delighted with it.

Definitely recommended.

Unique Quality: No unique qualities, just a wonderful guesthouse with friendly staff,safe, clean rooms, spotless bathroom. what more do you need to know? As they don't seem to have a dedicated website, I will not put one up, all the booking sites are much the same.

Directions: As stated above, don't ask me for directions, it is about ten minutes walk from the main street (if you know the way!)

Nearby Chola Guest House

2 Photos of Chola Guest House

View Professional Photos

Bitola Travel Forum

Need advice about Bitola, FYR of Macedonia? Visit the Travel Forum for Bitola and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Bitola hotel reviews