Stiv Naumov 80, Bitola, Republic of Macedonia

Booking.com Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com

• planxty's Profile Photo

A wonderful find.

Most of the attendees at the Euromeet were staying at the Millenium Hotel, and it became a sort of base / HQ / meeting place for us. I have to say the staff there were great, and the public areas excellent. Everyone I spoke to that stayed there spoke highly of it. However, being on somewhat of a budget, not strict but what I would describe as a mid-range traveller, I thought I would look around for other options and I am really glad with what I found. It really is a little gem.

Arriving at the door of the delightful and obviously recently refurbished building, which I subsequently discovered had been the home of a rich merchant, I rang the bell and was admitted by a delightful lady with excellent English who, having checked my reservation, walked me through a gorgeous wooden floored hallway to a door which, for some reason, I assumed was going to be a reception area or some such. Not a bit of it, it was straight into the room which, for what I was paying, astounded me. The photograph will hopefully give you an idea.

With a front door key and an assurance the door was never bolted at night, I sallied forth into the town to meet the rest of the VTers. After a wonderful night, the only problem about this wonderful place became evident. It really is hard to find. I am normally really good about recognising "markers" as I go along so I can retrace my steps but I managed to get hopelessly lost on the way home. OK, I can deal with this, I have been in worse holes.

I found an all night bakery (excellent pastries by the way) and engaged on yet another of what I call my adventures. Even now, to my shame, I speak about three words of Macedonian. Picture the scene. A baker in full whites who does not speak a word of English and I am trying to make my way back through poorly lit backstreets to a hotel. No problem. I still have, as a lovely souvenir of Macedonian hospitality and as a reference for again, the paper bag he wrote the map on for me. I arrived easily.

All this is a bit of a diversion if you want to read about the hotel which is probably how you found this webpage in the first place but serves to give an idea of the delightfully laid back atmosphere of Bitola. I never felt threatened walking round the streets late at night or indeed at any other time. People are concerned about going to slightly out of the way hotels but you have no need to be, it really is quite safe.

To the technicalities, the room I had was booked as a single although, as you see, it was actually a twin. Whether this would be possible in high season, I do not know. The tariff is room only, but there really is no problem getting a very tasty breakfast within five minutes walk of the door. There are tea and coffeee making facilities. The room was ensuite with tolietries supplied, hot water on demand (be sure to put on the boiler first) and I was absolutely delighted with it.

Definitely recommended.

Unique Quality: No unique qualities, just a wonderful guesthouse with friendly staff,safe, clean rooms, spotless bathroom. what more do you need to know? As they don't seem to have a dedicated website, I will not put one up, all the booking sites are much the same.

Directions: As stated above, don't ask me for directions, it is about ten minutes walk from the main street (if you know the way!)

More about Bitola

RusticRustic

RusticRustic

VillaVilla

Bitola Door knockersBitola Door knockers

how safe and how possible

by BoraArasan

hi,

i am planning next evening of saturday i catch a bus to bitola from sofia at 21:00 with my wife . Approximately 2 am or 3 am we will be reached there. How safe is Bitola bus station .Can we wait or sleep there until morning comes? is tere any security?

Second question...

in our plan we try to go albania via struga until Tirana and turn to Prizren from there. Overnight coach voyage is possible by bus? İf it is possible whether you can say arrival and departure time.

Thank you all..

by alek

Bitola as all other towns in Macedonia is safe, you have nothing to worry bout.As for going to Tirana, I would always recommend going to St Naum (you can go by bus from Ohrid), visit the monastry there, enjoy the beauty for couple of hours, walk across the border, take a taxi to pogradec, have a lunch there in some restaurant, then take minibus to Tirana.

As for the other option via Struga, i think the bus is leaving Skopje at 19:00, add 3 hours, it should be in Struga around 22:00, probably just stopping to leave/pick up passengers. For the exact location or time, i think you will have to ask at the Struga bus station.

by ezerski

Alec is correct in his answers and hints. I have to add that the departure of the bus from Struga to Tirana and Monte Negro is at 22:00 but not from the main station(thanks god its so far) but from the parking place just nearby hotel "Drim"
Hotel is easy to find on the place where river is getting out of the lake. check Google earth, it so visible.
Best regards Ezerski

by jeanfinney

I definitely recommend going by Sveti Naum, it is really beautiful...

by BoraArasan

Thank you my friends for all your helpfully messages....

Travel Tips for Bitola

Official (new?) tourist info site

by ELear

I liked everything about Bitola, especially the people. Anyway, I'm writing this because I've just discovered the official Bitola municipal tourist info site, which looks pretty up to date and full of useful information. It's http://bitolatourist.info/ Civilisation at last - hope to be back next year.

go out and get wasted,such...

by bibuska

go out and get wasted,such places are:Rascekor(one of the best places to meet people and get together with your friends),Pajton(the place where the 'cream' goes out),Gradska Kafeana(the best seafood you can find...)...

Hot, hot, hot

by MacedonianUK

Good backpaking rucksak or medium size ludgage is more than OK. If you are visiting Bitola in summer, please take care not to have sunstroke!
Macedonian sumers are hot, hot, hot !!
Bitola seems to be even hoter!
Please pack light colours, and prefferably natural materials.
Sun block is MUST, bottled watter too. Do not forget sun hat!!!
If you are sampling the nite life, than make sure you pack LBD & killer hills for girls, and nice pair of jeans,pair of shoes & good shirt for boys :)
Do not forget some sturdy hiking boots and pair of confortable sandals.
If you visiting in winter:
Make sure you have good warm jaket & longjones & good winter boots.
Winters can be very cold in some cases up to -20c, with snow. Your usual toiletries bag is enough.
There are lots of shops & supermarkets where you can buy whatever you need.
Shops you can buy pesonal higiene things:
Tinex supermarket
Vero supermarket
Super Mario Drogist
Hronometar drogist (old Bazzar) Good photo camera, and plenty of bateries are needed. Lots of photo oportunities :)
Good photo equipmqant stockist:
Germanos (Shikok sokak)
Tehno Market (Shirok sokak) If you are visiting Pelister NP near Bitola, where you can do lots of hiking, than you will need good pair of hiking boots, small backpack & bottled watter.

Hiking on Mount Baba in Pelister National Park

by Pijlmans

In Bitola, we took a cab which took us to a dead-end road close to a hotel at the foot of Baba mountain (Baba means grandmother).

From there we did a short hike through the forest to the mountain hut Kopanki, where we cooked our dinner (soup + pasta, it´s hard to make something else on the rudimentary cooking-range in the little kitchen next to the mountain hut. But very adventurous!)

You have to bring your own food! It is also a good idea to bring some beer or rakija, to catalyze contact with the other guests :-)

Kopanki mountain hut (110 beds) 1600m Mount Baba. Tel (not verified) 047 222 384, 5-10 euro / night.

The next day, we hiked to the other mountain hut, Golemo Ezero (meaning big lake), next to, yes, the big lake. This is a hike of about 8-10 hours, so be well prepared and take sufficient food and water. We got directions from the owner of the Kopanki mountain hut, and from the very few people we met on our way. The route is partly marked.

The route takes you through superb nature to two rare glacial lakes, the Pelister Eyes (Golemo Ezero is one of them). They are seperated from each other by a hill, functioning as the nose between the eyes...Let the pictures speak for themselves!

During this hike it is also possible to climb to the highest point of Mount Baba. However, because there was a lot of fog during our hike and for sake of time, we did not do that.

When we got to the Golemo Ezero Mountain hut (on a Sunday) it turned out not to be possible to stay overnight and we had to hike for 3 more hours to Bitola. We were lucky to meet some other hikers on the way, who called some cabs once we arrived at the foot of the mountain. We learned our lesson and will call in advance next time to arrange our stay! From Bitola we took another cab back to Ohrid were we were staying.

Golemo Ezero mountain hut (45 beds) 600m below Pelister Peak at 2000m. Tel (not verified, afternoons only) 047 221 605. You probably also have to bring your own food here.

See my travel site about Bitola for more pictures.

Living relic of the past

by MacedonianUK

The vilage of Malovishta is the only vilage within the border of the National Park Pelister. Malovishta is big vilage with all the atributes of small town. Has old Macedonian City arhitecture and electric mix of cultures. Malovishta is the biggest Vlah or Aromani populated vilage. As the Vlahs are known as exelent traders the vilage prospered and grow. It is said that the vilade in one point in the end of the XIX century had 4000 inhabitants and 4 schools. 2 Vlahs, 1 Macedonian and 1 Greek.Also had Gimnasium for the boys and Licei for the girls.
The road to Malovishta leads you trought the slopes of Baba Mountain and is sort of hidden from the main road Bitola-Ohrid. As very wealthy vilage Malovishta has two Churches. One was build by the Vlahs in the vilage and the other one by the Macedonians around 1700 A.D. Also some 5 km up the mountain is the monastery of St. Anna wich is beutifull example of XVIII century craftsmanship. There are konaks or sleeping rooms, where you can stay ofcourse for free. Visiting the vilage of Malovishta is experiance, as you seem that you are walking trought history. The Vlah familys in the vilage still keep their language and tradition and is one of the most exiting places sarounding Bitola.
If you decide to visit take bus to the vilage of Kazani and walk the 4 km to the vilage, but there is also bus directly to the vilage its self. Make sure you have sturdy walking boots,lots of film rolls and planty of water if you decide to hike up to the monastery.On the 8th of August is the Monastery holly day, so people from the sarounding vilages and Bitola come to pay hommage.
The walkig path to the monastery is clearly marked and is worth the effort to get there.

Comments