Apartments Kosta

Tags

Budget Travel Beer Tasting
See Amenities
johngayton's Profile Photo

Minor Flaws Are Easily Forgivable If...

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 29, 2011

...the welcome is friendly.

And friendly it certainly was here at Apartments Kosta.

Although I'd booked my apartment through www.booking.com the apartment owner emailed me a personal confirmation and then a couple of days before I was due to arrive he emailed again to confirm final details and asked for my estimated time of arrival. With a day of travelling planned, as part of the excellently organised Euromeet 2011, I emailed back that I wouldn't arrive until after 10 pm. "That's OK, see you then." was the cheerily worded reply.

My arrival time was roughly as expected and after a very brief unintended diversion (ie I got slightly lost) I found the apartment exactly where it should have been. Mr Kosta had obviously been keeping an eye open for me as before I'd even found the bell the lights came on and down he came from his upstairs flat.

After a friendly introduction I profferred my passport which he waved aside, "Tomorrow we do the paperwork." and instead showed me into my apartment. As expected for the price (very cheap!) everything was pretty basic but "everything" was the operative word. Although compact my room had the expected bed, a small round table in the corner with a couple of stools, a comfortable-looking armchair, a television, fridge, a single ring electric stove, a cupboard full of assorted crockery, cutlery and utensils and best of all a jar of proper coffee and a little pot in which to make it.

Kosta showed me how to turn on the hot water tank, the wall mounted room heater (if I needed it) and with a flourish pulled out a rug from under the bed upon which was a pair of flip-flops - OK there was no embroidered bathrobe to go with them but I seemed to have everything I needed.

Having bade him goodnight I sorted myself out with a coffee and cigarette as I considered going out for a beer but for once bed had more appeal.

Next thing I knew it was morning!

Ouside my room was a little courtyard which despite still being in the shade was warm enough to sit outside with my morning coffee (and of course cigarette) whilst I waited for the water tank to heat up. This was where a couple of flaws showed up - firstly the advertised internet connection was non-existent and secondly the hot water just didn't happen. In the case of the former it seems that the two bottom apartments don't get a good signal and in the latter I should have switched the tank on the night before. But hey I don't mind a coolish shower and there was a perfectly good little cafe round the corner with freebie WiFi.

I didn't catch Kosta that morning and it wasn't until later that day when I'd popped back to freshen up before dinner that I managed to give him my passport so that he could do the paperwork. I offered to pay in advance but once again tomorrow seemed to be good enough.

Unique Quality: For the combination of price, location and facilities this was ideal. The main square was a minute away. as were the waterfront bars and the old city's sights began literally outside my front door.

I was only here for three nights, with two full days, but nothing seemed a problem and everytime I came and went I always got a cheery greeting.

Directions: At the lower gate into the old city, just off the main square.

Pijlmans's Profile Photo

Next to the Lower Gate

by written on October 5, 2008

I have not stayed here myself, but the owner was so friendly to explain us some facts about the Lower Gate, and let us onto his patio to take some pictures of the town wall.

A room should be around 15 euro per night. It is right in the old center of Ohrid.

7 Photos of Apartments Kosta

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Apartments Kosta

• Free Parking
  • Free High Speed Internet
  • Kitchenette

Ohrid Travel Forum

Need advice about Ohrid, FYR of Macedonia? Visit the Travel Forum for Ohrid and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Ohrid hotel reviews

Hotel Daljan
Ljubanista Car Camp
Hotel Park
Gradiste Car Camp (Autokamp Gradiste)
Hotel Desaret