Luccia Apartments

Information panelInformation panel

Joachim and Anna before the Golden GateJoachim and Anna before the Golden Gate

More on Ohrid - Thessaloniki transportation

by malashen

As I have found out elsewhere, there are no buses from Bitola to Thessaloniki, and one has to travel to the border by taxi. Any idea how much a taxi from Bitola to the Greek border crossing would cost, and how much a taxi from the border crossing to Florina would cost?

Also, can I get from Ohrid to some train station on the way Skopje - Thessaloniki, to save the time of going back to Skopje from Ohrid?

by alan1972

I haven't done that trip by taxi myself but I've seen several reports on forums from people who said it cost around 25 euro from Bitola to Florina. I imagine it can vary quite a lot depending on your negotiating skills.

On your second question, if you decide to take the train and avoid the taxi, I think the most practical option is to head back from Ohrid to Skopje (via Kicevo, not via Bitola). In theory you could reduce the distance by taking a bus to Bitola and another to the border town of Gevgelija, which is a stop on the international train route. The problem is that there are very few buses between Bitola and Gevgelija, so you could end up spending a lot of time hanging around.

by malashen

Thank you, Alan. I looked it at the map where Gevgelija is, and it's appears to take a long trip from Bitola, apart from the fcat that there must be few buses. So if I decide to go via Bitola, taxi to Florina is probably the best bet.

Do you know how much would it take timewise? There is a bus leaving Ohrid for Bitola at 10.00, and two trains from Florina to Salonica, at 12.19 and 15.01. Do you know homw long would it take me to Bitola by bus, and to Florina by taxi?

by alan1972

It should normally take less than 1.5 hours from Ohrid to Bitola by bus, although I once got a bus that stopped for ages in Resen, half way along, and took nearly 2 hours.

No idea about the cross-border taxi, sorry.

I believe there are regular buses (more frequent than the train) from Florina to Thessaloniki, so you don't need to worry too much about getting there in time for a particular train.

by MacedonianUK

If you are after taxi, I can put you together with guy I usualy use when I fly home from UK to Biltola.
My usual airport is Tessaloniki, and I use bus from Salonika to Florina.
No train conection till November as they are relaying the tracks on that strech.
You have bus to Tessaloniki from Florina, every hour leaving 20min.past the hour.
From 7.20am local time till 20.20pm.
Oneway ticket is 13 euros and return is 20.
As for taxi Bitola-Florina is 36km and tarif is 20eros.
if you ask taxi on the stand will caharge you atleast 10 more.
I usualy use guy called Petar (speaks english and few other languages)
I also recomended him to few TT travelers on LP website.
If you need his tel just drop me PM on my Bitola page and I will be more than happy to help.
Unfortunatly no public transport between two coutries, expect the train Athens-Munich, via Skopje, Belgrade, Zagreb, Ljubljana...

Happy travels.

Valentina

Travel Tips for Ohrid

Tourist information

by merak

Ohrid is not like neighbouring Struga, where you find a modern tourist information in western style for foreigners. You find some agencies close to the bus station.
Be happy, because in Bitola (Macedonia's 2nd big city) there is no tourist info at all. A small office where I found good information about several topics is:

Biljana, in front of the bus station.

Guided tours to Galichitsa National park: 40 Euros per person. Diving in the lake: 100 Euro per person.

Si está Gjúrgjitsa, incluso os atenderá en castellano.

(046) 253570, (070) 684428

Harbour

by DPando

onr of the most beautiful sights is the harbour. A short promenade and a huge square in the downtown are in front of this small harbour where lots of people use to fish in the afternoons.
Besides its just in the front of the very busy street full of terraces and shops

Local fishermen boats 1

by johnsakura

many people live from what the lake gives. There are many boats in the lake. some people already decided to change or at least to give a bit if opportunity to work with tourism making trips to the lake instead of fishing.

Sveti Cetirieset Sevastiski macenici (I&V)

by Zvrlj

It seemed to us that nothing within the Ohrid medieval city walls can be off the beaten path. It is rather small, walkable area, and wandering all over it is the great, unique pleasure Ohrid offers. But there are some of its treasures which are almost impossible to find without guidance.

During the visit to the Church of Santa Sophia, we asked guide to show us the fresco depicting the Forty Martyrs of Sebaste. Since the fresco is on the north wall of the altar space, behind the iconostasis, and it is strictly forbidden to all but priests to enter that space, we could only take glance of the small part of the fresco, through the gap between two pieces of curtain. In order to make up for our failed opportunity to admire one of the most astonishing frescoes of the 11th century Byzantine art (we know it from the reproductions in books), she have told us about an ancient church dedicated to the Forty Martyrs. This church stands very near Santa Sophia, and only fragments of the eastern wall remain, with barely visible traces of frescoes. She told us how to find it, and we did manage to find it! It is not an impressive sight, but it is an exciting testimony about dedication of people of Ohrid to its tradition and faith.

The remains of Crkvata Sveti Cetirieset Sevastiski macenici – the Church of the Forty Martyrs of Sebaste can be reached by taking the staircase near the restaurant Sveta Sofija, and then turn to the second alley left. It is easy to miss it, but it requires not much effort to check the several alleys in order to find the church.

"Gradiste", Camp and Beach

by elgin99

Camping and beautiful areas? Yessss... indeed.
Gradiste is green, place is so colourful and has very impressive trees. And Gradiste has a great beach! Some of my pictures on that page (other tips) I shot there.
Remember, from there you can reach also the Church Cave.
About the mass of fishes there in the lake (Ohrid) I was really surprised.

Comments