Bul. Krste Misirkov no.57-3/1, Skopje, 1000, Republic of Macedonia

Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Good value hotel on the edge of Carsija

My girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel Super 8 in Skopje for 1 night at the end of our visit to Macedonia in March 2012.

We made our reservation through www.booking.com and paid 60 Euros for an en-suite double room with buffet breakfast included.

We settled our bill in cash (Macedonian Denari) when we checked out of the hotel at the end of our stay.

Location

Hotel Super 8 is located on the edge of the Carsija district of the city, close to Skenderbej Square and just a couple of minutes walk north of the Vardar River.

The Bit Pazarska market in Carsija is a little over 5 minutes walk away and the Old Stone Bridge and Macedonia Square are around 10 minutes walk away.

Busy Boulevard Goce Delcev (3 lanes of traffic in each direction) is right outside the hotel, as is Stiv Naumov which crosses the river (this is the nearest bridge over the river from the hotel).

The train station and both bus stations (local and long-distance) are all located next to each other about 15 minutes walk from the hotel, across the bridge on Stiv Naumov and past the Vero Center shopping mall.

There is a taxi rank outside the front of the hotel and numerous bus stops along Boulevard Goce Delcev.

Bedroom

We didn't spend much time in our room. Our room wasn't ready when we checked in at around 11am, so we left our luggage in the storage room and caught the bus to Pristina for the day before returning late in the evening. We checked out shortly after breakfast the following day. Our needs were therefore rather limited (literally just somewhere to wash and sleep), but Hotel Super 8 surpassed them and we wished that we were staying for longer.

We had stayed at Guesthouse Anja (on the other side of the river) for a couple of nights earlier in our stay in Macedonia and our one small complaint about our room there was the lack of windows. The room at Super 8 more than made up for that; it was located on the corner of the building and the two external walls both contained large windows looking out towards Kale Fortress and the Vardar River. When we checked out, the receptionist told us that this room, number 207, is her favourite room in the hotel – we can certainly see why! If you get chance, put in a request to stay in this room.

The room contained a large, comfortable double bed and a small single bed. It had wooden laminate flooring, wooden furniture, colourful rugs, flowery wallpaper and paintings on the walls.

It had a large wardrobe, a mini fridge and a large flat screen TV that picked up hundreds of international satellite channels. Having requested the WEP key from reception, the free wi-fi worked perfectly in the room. There were plenty of electrical sockets for recharging batteries and mobile phones overnight.

The room had a remote controlled heating and air-conditioning unit. We only needed the latter during our stay. The outside temperature had started to pick up in late March and with the sun shining through the large windows, the room soon started to feel a little stuffy without the air-con on.

The shower room was fairly spacious and was one of the better hotel shower rooms that I've encountered. It featured spotlessly clean and gleaming black and white tiling and gave the impression that it had recently been renovated.

We were given ample fresh towels and a few rudimentary toiletries (including wall-mounted shower gel dispensers) were provided, as well as a hairdryer. The water pressure was good and there was ample hot water for us both to shower in the evening when we first checked in and in the morning before checking out.

Breakfast

Breakfast was served in a pleasant dining room that felt like a converted loft. It featured skylights and a large floor-to-ceiling window at one end offering panoramic views over the city. A TV set in the corner was showing breakfast news bulletins to a few business travellers that were enjoying breakfast at the same time as us.

The buffet selection was plentiful and was very well presented. It featured a selection of local and international foods. It was certainly an impressive spread.

There was an extensive selection of cereals, dried fruits, berries, yoghurts, breads, cheeses and cold cuts of meat. Local foods included slices of burek, ajvar and pindzur dips and sticky pieces of baklava (including delicious pieces of chocolate covered baklava which our friendly hostess, who I believe was American, brought around the tables). We finished our breakfast with pieces of lokum (Turkish delight) and some tasty coconut covered sweets.

As we were leaving, our hostess insisted that we take some fresh fruit with us; I helped myself to an apple and an orange.

General

We were able to store our luggage (free of charge) in a storage room both before checking in and after checking out.

When we were leaving for the airport the receptionists offered to book us a taxi transfer for 1,400 MKD. There was a taxi rank right outside the hotel; we said that we'd go and ask the drivers for a price and, if it was more than 1,400 MKD, we'd come back and accept their offer. The receptionists were happy for us to go and try our luck and to come back to them for help if required. In the event, the driver that we approached offered to take us to the airport for 1,000 MKD so we went with him.

A good value hotel with a decent location between Carsija and the new centre of Skopje. A spacious room, a clean shower room and an excellent breakfast spread. We'd happily stay there again if we were in Skopje...and for more than one night next time!

Directions: Located on the edge of the Carsija district of the city, close to Skenderbej Square and the Vardar river.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Not What I'd Call 5* But Good Anyway

When I found this hotel on www.booking.com I just had to book it. It wasn't the cheapest hotel, nor was it necessarily the best I could afford, but it was fairly central and being a lover of the American Super 8 chain I booked purely for its name (yep I knew beforehand it wasn't affiliated in any way with the US group).

I wasn't disappointed at all. The hotel was easy to find, reception was friendly and swift and the porter even insisted on escorting me to my room - well, sort of: he ran up the stairs whilst I took the lift, and had my room door open for me as I was duly disgorged.

Nice touch.

The room itself was spacious, the bed inviting, but despite my long bus journey I wasn't ready for it.

Unique Quality: This is where the hotel comes into its own. On the ground floor is a trendy bar/restaurant with a terrace which overlooks the bustling Skanderberg Square with the bars and cafes of the old bazaar invitingly noisier than the main road.

A couple of minutes walk (having introduced myself to M. Skopsko in the hotel's bar) took me to the centre of Skopje's late night universe. Even at 11 pm on an midweek evening the terraces were bustling and a midnight feast at a bazaar restaurant was thoroughly enjoyed.

On my late return a cheery "goodnight" from the night manager preceded a comfortable night asleep.

I had a little hiccup in the morning though when I went down for breakfast at the advertised time of 8 am - oops: I was still on Bulgarian time (one hour too early).

So the breakfast cook and I had a bit of a laugh and I repaired to my room for an hour to let her get on with it.

Internet connection worked perfectly (although the lack of a work surface was a minor irritation) and when I re-emerged for breakfast it was suitably impressive - and the cook and I re-greeted each other - I like meeting other cooks (especially pretty ones).

Check out was simple and the hotel is only about 10 minutes walk from the modern city centre (via the Stone Bridge) and so overall it was a 9 out of 10 place - next time I'll make sure that it's the breakfast cook's day off and I'll book self-catering LOL ;)

Directions: From the bus/train station head towards the river on the main road - the hotel is located at the back of a shopping mall just off the main road once you've crossed the bridge.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Hotel near the Old Bazaar

The hotel looked like a real dump from the outside but they really tried to make the rooms look nice. We booked a double room on booking.com for 60€ ($87 US), most of the hotels in Skopje were more than this one but it seemed really overpriced for Skopje.

• DAO's Profile Photo

IT'S A 3 STAR - REMEMBER THAT

Super 8 – for some bizarre reason – advertises that they are a 5 Star Hotel. They also say I should have has a mini-bar in my room. Super 8 is ok. It is amazingly well situated for a hotel in Skopje with free, if not interesting, car parking. You are a leisurely walk away from everything Skopje has to offer. The Old Bazaar, the city walls, the main square. It’s all there.

The rooms are nice. Beds are comfortable, everything is modern and clean and the staff are nice. They also speak English.

Breakfast is included. They also have 2 nice looking terrace restaurants literally at their doorstep if you want a nice dinning/drinking experience.

The only things to consider is hat they have lots of tile so you do hear the traffic once the morning gets going.

Rooms do have remote Air-conditioning and TV. No problem. Where they think the other 2 stars are I have no idea.

Despite the complete over-hype, Super 8 is a good solid hotel on a busy road a close walk to everything.

Directions: