Kameni Most - Stone Bridge, Skopje
The Stone Bridge (Kameni Most) connects the old Turkish/Muslim part (Carsija) in the north of Skopje via Makedonija Square with the new center of Skopje, south of the river Vardar.
Some say there has been a bridge since the 6th century, however, the present Stone Bridge dates back to the 15th century, built under the orders of the Ottoman Sultan Mehmet II the Conquerer.
Kameni Most was originally built with stone pillar railings, used by the Turkish rulers of Skopje to spike the heads of those disloyal to Turkish rule.
Karpos was the leader of the peasant’s uprising in 1689 which took place in the region of Kriva Palanka and Kumanovo, where he fought against the Turks. Although successful at first, the uprising was smothered. Karpos was enslaved, gruesomely impaled on the bridge and afterwards thrown from the bridge into the River Vardar. A memorial stone for Karpos, "King of Kumanovo", can be found in the middle of the bridge.
At the moment, a stone suitcase can be seen in the water next to the Stone Bridge, as a piece of art.
Follow the link below for my Skopje page.
Skopje , the Capital of ...
Skopje , the Capital of Macedonia
Standing on the banks of the Vardar River amid mountainous country, Skopje began as ancient Scupi. It became the capital of the district of Dardania (part of the Roman province of Moesia Superior) under the emperor Diocletian in the 4th century. In 518 it was totally destroyed by an earthquake. A brief Slav incursion occurred in the 7th century, and in the 9th and 10th centuries the town grew rapidly. The Serbs first captured Skopje in 1189, and in 1392 the Turks after conquering Macedonia made it their provincial capital and an important commercial centre. In 1689 it was burned to the ground by Austrian forces to eradicate a cholera epidemic, after which it declined until a revival in the 19th century with the building of the Belgrade-Thessaloníki railway. By treaty Skopje was in 1913 incorporated into Serbia, and in 1918 it became part of the new Yugoslavia. During World War II the Germans occupied it in April 1941, and it was then garrisoned by Bulgarian troops. Liberated in 1944, it became the capital of Macedonia in 1945.
The old city is located on the terraced riverbank dominated by an ancient fortress, north of which is a Roman aqueduct. Medieval monasteries in the vicinity include that of Nerezi (1164), with fine 12th-century frescoes. Other notable buildings are a medieval Turkish inn, the Kursumli Han, and several mosques. The former strongly Turkish aspect of the city has been altered, however, by reconstruction since 1963, when a severe earthquake left some 80 percent of Skopje in ruins, with 1,070 persons dead and more than 120,000 homeless. Relief in money and kind, including medical, engineering, and building teams with supplies, came from 78 countries. From this, Skopje was called the 'City of International Solidarity.' A completely new earthquake-resistant town plan was formulated, with several satellite residential nuclei and four industrial regions. On the left bank are the houses of the representative bodies of the republic of Macedonia, educational institutions, library, concert halls, and radio and television stations. On the right bank is the economic and commercial centre. Skopje is an industrial, commercial, and administrative centre. Industries produce chemicals, cement, agricultural machinery, electrical goods, bricks, ceramics, glass, beer and spirits, canned fruit and vegetables, and tobacco; there is also leather processing, woodworking, chrome refining, and a steelworks. Skopje is an important transportation centre, with rail and road connections and a modern airport. It has a university (1949) St. Cyril and Methodius University,the National and University Library,engineering school and is the site of the Macedonian Academy of Science and Art. Pop. (1981) 408,143.The major theatre companies (the Macedonian National Theatre, the Drama Theatre and the Theatre of the Nationalities), the Ar- chives of Macedonia, the Skopje Historical Archives, the clinics of the Faculty of Medicine, the largest publishing houses and the seats of art associations and unions.
Many international architects participated in it reconstruction. According to the idea of the Japanese urban planner Kenzo Tanga, the center was given a 'city wall' of high-rise buildings, while the banks of the Vardar were laid out as pleasant tree-lined promenades. The ancient trading quarter (charshija) has been completely renovated, but has preserved all the notable features of its original architecture. In this setting the old buildings of cultural and historical interest are seen to even better advantage. They include the Kale Fortress raised in the 6th century (its present appearance dates from the Turkish period), Daut-pasha's baths (15th c., now the Art Gallery), and Mustafa-pasha's mosque (15th c.).
Also to be found in Skopje are the Museum of Macedonia (Archaeological, Historical and Ethnological), the Museum of the City of Skopje , the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Natural History Museum and the Old Town Museum.The Gallery of the Cultural and Information Centre and the 'Osten' Gallery are also located here.
Stone bridge in 1909
MNT , The Macedonian National Theatre before the Earthquake of 1963
The Stone Bridge and the Kale Fortress,view behind.Built by the Turks on the site of a Roman bridge, the Stone Bridge has eleven arches and bears a plaque in the middle stating that it was restored by Sultan Murat II (first half of the 15th century).
Old Railway,before the Earthquake of 1963
The clock in the preserved ruins of the old railway station remained frozen at 5:17 am, the moment that the predawn earthquake turned Skopje into landfill.
The Goce Delchev Bridge (named by Macedonian hero Goce Delchev -died in 1903 in Banica, near Seres in Aegean Macedonia)
Vardar river and Stone Bridge,Skopje
St. Pantelejmon (1164),village of Nerezi,Mt.Vodno
Markov Manastir, Skopje, 14th century. The Construction of the monastery was initiated
by Volkashin 1345, King Marko's father, and finished by King Marko himself.
The Daut-Pasha's Amam with the Kale Fortress, the ancient bazaar, and Mustafa-pasha's mosque (15th Century) in the background.
Skopje Panorama of Skopje
picture 1 picture 2
The Woman's Park in the city-centre,Skopje Kale Fortress
Skopsko Kale has its own charm for the citizens of Skopje, as a peaceful place that stands out from the buzz of the city nearby. The Fortress was built of stone blocks from the ruins of the city of Skupi, during the rule of the Romanian Tsar Justinijan the First.