Aurora Hotel

Helsinginkatu 50, Helsinki, Southern Finland, 00530, Finland

More about Helsinki

Eliel Saarinen's beautiful art nouveau stationEliel Saarinen's beautiful art nouveau station

Peppered SteakPeppered Steak

Moose, elk?Moose, elk?

radio shackradio shack

first time to Helsinki

by bdalet

I'm returning to the US from India via Helsinki in late September. I have decided to spend 48 hours in Finland arriving mid-afternoon. Please help me plan my brief visit and suggest a safe place to stay for two nights, places to visit and things to experience during my first trip to Finland. Thank you.

Re: first time to Helsinki

by Gili_S

On my Helsinki page and others you can check for hotels tips according to your budget. All are safe. If you spend only 48 hours here I guess you can see a lot of Helsinki, to most places you can just walk or you can take bus or boat guided tour as well.

Re: first time to Helsinki

by kalmisto

Hi mr Administrator !

It would be very interesting to know why my post was removed. The original poster wanted us to suggest places to visit and things to do during his stay in Helsinki. I suggested that he ( if possible )would attend a meetup of expats living in Helsinki. That would give him a chance to meet some locals and spend a nice evening with them. What was wrong with my suggestion ?

Travel Tips for Helsinki

Few words in Finnish

by ealgisi

Below few words in Finnish that you can use while visiting Finland.

How do you do or Hello Hyvää päivää (literally: Good day)
How are you? Mitä kuuluu?
Hi Hei
Nice weather today = Kaunis ilma tänään
Excuse me or Sorry = Anteeksi
Goodbye = Näkemiin
Sorry, I don't speak Finnish = Anteeksi, en puhu suomea
Do you speak English? = Puhutteko englantia?
Could I have the menu please? = Saisinko ruokalistan?
Could I have the wine list please? = Saisinko viinilistan?
What is this? = Mitä tämä on?
How much does this cost? = Paljonko tämä maksaa?
Could I have a beer please? = Saisinko yhden oluen?
Some water please? = Saanko vettä?
Can I buy you a drink? = Saanko tarjota sinulle drinkin?
Can I call you tomorrow? = Saanko soittaa sinulle huomenna?
Could I have a cup of coffee please? = Saisinko kupin kahvia?
Can I have the bill please? = Saanko laskun?
Excuse me, do you know where the youth hostel is? = Anteeksi, tiedätkö missä on retkeilymaja?
Excuse me, do you know where the post office is? = Anteeksi, tiedätkö missä on posti?
Excuse me, do you know where the railway station is? = Anteeksi, tiedätkö missä on rautatieasema?
Excuse me, do you know where the harbour is? = Anteeksi, tiedätkö missä on satama?
Excuse me, do you know where I can find a pharmacy? = Anteeksi, tiedätkö missä on apteekki?
Excuse me, do you know where the nearest bank is? = Anteeksi, tiedätkö missä on lähin pankki?
Straight ahead = Suoraan eteenpäin
To the left = Vasemmalle
To the right = Oikealle
Excuse me, do you know where the taxi rank is please? = Anteeksi, tiedätkö missä on taksi-asema?
Excuse me, do you know where the stadium is? = Anteeksi, tiedätkö missä on stadion?
Excuse me, could you tell me the time? = Anteeksi, tiedätkö mitä kello on?
Excuse me, I'm lost = Anteeksi, olen eksynyt

Beautiful city full of Russian influence

by clbobman

I loved this place. The people are very passionate. It is cold sure so take a very warm jacket. I was there December 2003 and it was not as cold as I thought. The Baltic had not iced over. It is a pretty city, with a fascinating and brave history. Great place to visit Estonia from and I should have taken the train to Lapland. Most people speak some English in Helsinki at least

Helsinki Card

by martin_nl

Very good to buy on arrival in Helsinki is the Helsinki Card. This card gives you free entrance to many sights and museums and als free access to all public transportation in the city. The first thing you should do is take the audio sightseeing tour which leaves daily from Esplenade Park. With the Card you get 70% discount. The tour takes 1 1/2 hours and takes you around the city. You will make stops at Sibelius monument and the Temppeliaukio Church. This is a great way to orientate yourself in the city!

Helsinki, Is a great shopping...

by shiran_d

Helsinki, Is a great shopping and cultural city.
Enjoy your stay,

To sail ship is anchored along the main port near the very heart of Helsinki,
This is the place where you would travel to all the sandinavian port and to baltic ports.
The bottom pic is the front elevation of the Helsinki Central railway Station. Getting up at 12 PM and thinking it is still too early to get up and went back to sleep until 3 PM. It was too late to do any thing and we just had a walk around the department store.
So don't be folled by the low light during winter months.

Esplanade

by Igraine

Take a walk along the Esplanade. Great park and some excellent shops a long the streets. When i was here there was some music festival. The band playing is a very famous Finnish band. Don´t ask me which one though, i was told it was.

Comments