Comfort Pilotti Hotel

A Helsinki Christmas TreeA Helsinki Christmas Tree

Airport TaxiAirport Taxi

First time in Finland

by nyunyu

Hi, I will be flying from Malaysia tomorrow and this will be my first trip to Finland. Actually, this is business trip. I just wondering if someone can advice me on clothing attire in this month. Should I bring along my thick jacket?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

by mileh

Hi,

The weather is already quite cool in Helsinki (the capital city), at night it gets around zero and even if the days have been quite sunny (with occational showers of rain) the temperature's have around 10-17 C. And it can get quite windy so a thick jacket is a good idea!

Have a nice stay in Finland!

by IndianPacific

"its not too cold (actually the last few days beautiful autumn weather) and IMO (tho your from malaysia) a normal autumn jacket will do."

Fugu, the guy is coming from Malaysia!

by JohntheFinn

I froze my butt off at 25 degrees in Helsinki when returning there this summer after a longer stay in the tropics, and I've lived there (Helsinki) for 30-odd years!

The temperature near Helsinki airport at the moment, in the middle of the day, is 13C.

Your 'thick jacket' probably isn't too thick for Northern Europe if you bought it in Asia. I suggest a light sweater (short-sleeved, maybe) under that jacket. You won't need gloves as you can put your hands in your pockets. In the city centre there are plenty of shops and café where you can warm up.

by penny_g

Hi there,

It is a good idea to enough clothes, since it can be really cold in Helsinki. Don't forget umbrella, too.

Cheers,
Penny_G

by nyunyu

Thanks guys, appreciate your advice. I travel a lot but always in the summer and often in tropical countries.

Well, I do have a jacket which is kinda thick (at least for me) which has 2 layers, outer side is more thick compared to the inner which is kinda thinner. I work as an offshore surveyor and my assignment this time has 15kg luggage limit. Packing more cloth is a no no.

My schedule is below:
- To arrive latest at Helsinki the day before the crew change takes place, around 16.00hrs latest.
- Roadtrip to Kotka, about a 2.5 hrs drive
- Overnight at hotel at Kotka.
- Probably departing the hotel at 06.00AM to the port.

by penny_g

Btw, I met a girl from Malaysia last week in Helsinki. Is Finland a trend in Malaysia! :-)))

by nyunyu

@penny_g, just noticed that the jacket you're wearing is similar to my "thick jacket", I called it thick as it has 2 layers and if not mistaken when I bought it the salesman said the jacket is for certain degrees..5 celcius maybe..can't really remember.

Oh, not sure if helsinki is a trend but I long waited to be there =)

@Ofelia, thanks. I guess I'll buy a pair when I arrived there.

by JohntheFinn

Finnair has invested a lot in its Far East connections in recent years, resulting in a lot of Asians passing through Helsinki (although few stop there) as well as people like myself heading in the opposite direction.

Travel Tips for Helsinki

Kind and generous people

by BillNJ

Before visiting Helsinki, I had read that the Finnish people tend to be shy and withdrawn. In my experience, that is only partially true. I agree that the Finns are not as outgoing as many other people of the world -- and they will generally leave you alone if you don't approach them. However, after I took the initiative to introduce myself, most Finnish people whom I met were kind and generous.

Fortunately, most of the Finns that I met spoke English very well (I was told that English is a mandatory subject in Finnish schools). I enjoyed many interesting conversations. Also, on more than one occasion, a Finn bought me a drink as a gesture of friendship -- and expressed sincere appreciation that I chose to visit Finland on my vacation. My recommendation when visiting Finland is to take the initiative to start conversations with local Finns -- and to enjoy their friendship and goodwill.

Midnight Munchies

by morgenhund

After a liberal doseage of Lapin Kulta or whatever booze you've been enjoying, I recommend grabbing a hotdog to soak up the alcohol. Finnish sausage stands seem to be open all hours - which is just as well if you have a long night of drinking. They also serve affordable drinks. A hot dog seems to cost about EUR 3 from memory. There is nothing like collapsing drunk in your room at the Hilton having spurned room service in favour of a hotdog or five - I don't know why I don't do it more often!

Movietheatre Orion

by annamantere

This is a really good movie-theatre. Many foreign students come here as they show loads of movies from different countries with english subtitles. They`ve got both new films and old classics. The theatre itself is old and comfy. The net-pages are www.sea.fi, you can find the program from the newspapers too. Located in Eerikinkatu, behind Forum departmentstore. (Next to the movietheatre is an excellent kebab-place called Eerikin Pippuri).

Walk as much as you can. Start...

by davidcross

Walk as much as you can. Start at the harbour area and while you are there decide when you are going to take trips to the fortress island and locate Lindaline for quick trips (hydrofoil) to Tallinn.
The market in the harbour area is well worth seeing. The coastal views from near the British Embassy and the whole area around the Sibelius Memorial, the President's residence and the open-air museum would justify seeing again and again.
(Photo: market by the harbour)

Helsinki Tip

by GretaHK

Walking down the street after a night of partying. Helsinki is a meeting place between Finnish, Swedish and Byzantine culture. Although the Finns are very much a Lutheran country, an Orthodox element features prominently in the city's silhouette. Uspenski Cathedral. There are about 1.1 million inhabitants out of the total Finnish population of about five million living in Helsinki currently. English is widely spoken even though their official languages are Finnish and Swedish.

Comments