Eurohostel (No Facilities)

Linnankatu 9, Helsinki, Southern Finland, 00160, Finland

Good For No Data
  • jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Eurohostel, convenient beside ferry docks

I chose to have a single room for my own at the Eurohostel. The bathrooms are well-maintained on all floors. Since this place is almost always filled up due to its great location and price, the reception desk can be very busy. But the workers are friendly and kept my laptop and other valuables for me (since there was no safety deposit box in the room). On the floor where I was (4th?) , somebody obviously bought fish and the hallway smelled a bit fishy - but once in my room, the smell was not noticeable. Other than that, it is a pretty great place to stay at. And when hungry at night, you can even order pizza at the restaurant on the first floor.
    The place has 255 beds, and is conveniently located 200 yards from Katajanokka ferry terminal (where Viking ships dock!), and 10 minute walk from Market Square.
    Tram #4 also conveniently stops at the side of the Eurohostel.
    Linnankatu 9
    09/622-0470
    www.eurohostel.fi

Unique Quality: a favorite among backpackers and regular travellers alike

• maria_hz's Profile Photo

No frills but plenty of atmosphere

I've stayed at Eurohostel a few times in years past. It is out on Katajanokka, which is a little walk past the Russian Orthodox church from the Market Square, but I don't mind the walk at all. Katajanokka is a very nice place and the location is a bit more quiet.

If I'm on a budget, this is where I like to go.

The rooms are simple with no frills unless you want it (and pay a little extra). Perfect for people who love to spend more time out and about in Helsinki.

Unique Quality: I've been very happy with their rooms. They are clean and comfortable, and I like the morning sauna :) The atmosphere is international too.

• leecouk12324's Profile Photo

Offical Youth Hostel

This is an offical Youth Hostel next to the Prison on the other side of the harbour where cruisers dock
    It is a very quiet location but only 10- 15 min walk into the city and the great big White Church.
    It is very big and very clean - i think it is 24 hr reception and no lock out -best to check
    One of the better Hostels i have stayed in
    There is a Sauna also - so the first time i come accross a Youth Hostel that has Sauna.

• annase's Profile Photo

Budget Accommodation

Eurohostel is located very near to the Katajanokka sea passenger terminal and a short walk from the Senate Square and Market Square. Trams No 4 or 4T take you to the hostel and back from the city centre. The prices start from €21/person and there are two categories of rooms: 'Eurohostel' and 'Backpacker'. The difference is that there is a telly in the Eurohostel rooms. Altogether 135 single, twin, triple and family rooms with a table, chair, and at least one lockable wardrobe in every room. The toilets and showers are along the corridor. Non-smoking rooms. Great for budget travellers or for a few nights only.

• skatzcatz's Profile Photo

Eurohostel

comfortable and good facilities.

Unique Quality: Rooms have tv but no sinks or toilets. Breakfast was 6 Euro - buffet, Rooms cost 49 Euro and for 20 Euro you can have an extended checkout till 6pm.

Directions: 20 minute walk from the train station and a short walk to some wharves. Taxi to Airport cost about 35 Euro

• dek516's Profile Photo

Bare bones, but adequate

If you're traveling on a limited budget, Eurohostel provides a roof over your head and clean sheets. Your room will be tiny and stark, but functional. The location is decent, particularly if you're taking a boat to or from Helsinki (it's near most of the ports). If you're coming via plane, you'll have to take a bus to the train station and walk (it's about a 15-20 minutes from the train station by foot) or hop on the 4T tram, which brings you close to the hostel.

• Gwyndra's Profile Photo

Nice hostel in Helsinki

I stayed here on my ScanRail trip in 2000. I stayed in a double room with my friend and I can´t say that I have anything to complain about! It was clean and tidy, the kitchen facilities were good and the staff nice, polite and smiling :)
    We actually arrived 2 days earlier than expected and as there where no spare beds we had to move on. But there were no trouble in lending some space to store some of our more unimportant luggage untill we came back again.

Directions: Follow the Esplanada down to the harbour and go to the left.... Sorry... can´t remeber it precisely.

• illumina's Profile Photo

Good value and good location

Nice hostel, well run, near to the centre of town. Everyone on the reception speaks English perfectly (as do most people in Helsinki to be honest). Fairly basic, but has everything you need - but no double beds, all twin rooms have two single beds. Bathrooms are shared.

Unique Quality: Sauna on the top floor - free in the morning. Depending where your room is you might have a nice view out over the harbour.

Directions: On Katajanokka, past the harbour and the Uspenski cathedral.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

very helsinki hostel.

the eurohostel is a very nice and clean place.
    the kinda place i would both recommend to young backpackers aswell as more mature people who are more concerned about the town they are visiting than uniformed doormen and minibars in their room.

Unique Quality: clean, well run and very centrally located..

Directions: one block away from the ferries to estonia.

• Rusket's Profile Photo

Hard beds, otherwise good

Claus (cachaseiro) Rasmus (Razmatac) and Jan were waiting for me at the airport, but I was too tired to see them. I had forgotten the pin code of my phone, so I could not turn it on to call them either. I decided to take the airport shuttle bus into Helsinki, and found tram no 4 which took me to the hostel. I managed to choose the bed I wanted in our Triple Backpackers room before they got there ;-) (Jan had a room of his own). While the others went to town to get some lunch, I dived onto the bed. Hadn' slept at all the night before. I already knew from another VT tip that the matresses were hard, and had wanted to reserve a Eurohostel room which have a higher standard. They were all full, but that did not prevent me from sleeping like a log for five hours. I did not even notice that the others came back for a nap.

We all got up in time for a late dinner, and after a couple of hours I went back to bed for another 12 hours!

Unique Quality: Centrally located on the peninsula Katajanokka, 15 - 20 minutes walking distance from downtown, 5 minutes from the ferry terminal Skatuddskajen / Viking Line. I would strongly suggest you book Eurohostel rooms, the price difference is not that big, but the quality much better. We payed 23.20 Euro per bed per night in a triple backpacker's, and 13.70 Euro for an axtra bed (for Brad, with a better mattress!) the second night. Communal bathrooms with showers down the hallway, and a kitchen per floor.

Directions: Tram 4 from downtown, get off at the first stop after Skatuddskajen (ferry terminal)

• Jagermeister's Profile Photo

Decent Hostel near the harbor

Eurohostel is located within a ten minute walk from the bus station and even less from the Katajanokka harbor. The staff is very helpful, friendly, and fluent in quite a few languages. There is pricey internet available in the lobby along with video poker. There is also a good restaurant called Katajanmarja attached to the hostel.

The rooms are basic and the walls seemed quite thin--bring earplugs. Bathrooms and showers are also your standard healthclub or dorm style showers. Linen included along with tons of information on Helsinki and other nearby cities. Free sauna in the morning.

Prices were a little steep for a hostel, but you must take into account the very high price of hotel accommodation in the city as well.

Directions: Katajanokka area of town. Take Tram 4...there is a stop right behind Eurohostel.

• sjazeerah's Profile Photo

perfect for modest but independant demands

I stayed in the beginning of September for three nights and payed app. 23,- Euros per night. The staff was very polite and competent. The hostel is clean. I fell very free in the Sauna in the early morning (was alone at 6 am).

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Cheap hostel, good location.

I'd never stayed in a hostel prior to staying at the Eurohostel in Helsinki - but this isn't like most hostels.

Eurohostel has no large dorms (all rooms are singles, doubles and triples). Facilities are shared - each of the 5 floors has a communal kitchen (which includes a TV) and separate bathrooms for males and females.

The ground floor has all the services you could want - a cafe, 24 hour reception, laundry service, guidebooks and newspapers, vending machines, luggage storage, public telephones, satellite TV - while the top floor contains a sauna. A free morning sauna is included in the price of a bed (but there is a small charge if you want an evening sauna). I never took advantage of the free sauna, so cannot comment further.

The hostel houses 255 beds in 135 rooms on 5 floors. The rooms are sparsely furnished (beds, wardrobes, a couple of wooden chairs and a wooden table), but they are clean and well heated. Bedding and towels are provided. The beds are not particularly comfortable - the mattresses are either very thin or non-existent - but I've experienced worse.

The bathrooms are clean and there was always hot water in the showers. We never used the kitchen facilities, so again I can't pass further comment.

The location is excellent, especially if you arrive on a Viking Line ferry (in which case, the hostel is a 2 minute walk from the ferry terminal). We arrived on a Tallink ferry from Tallinn, and the hostel was about a 25 minute walk from that terminal. Senate Square is just a 10 minute walk from the hostel.

The price is about 23 Euros per person per night (breakfast not included), and further discounts are available for regular visitors (every 7th night free).

A good value, conveniently located hostel. Recommended if you're travelling on a budget.

Directions: On the Katajanokka peninsular, close to the Viking Line ferry terminal.

• yin's Profile Photo

More than a youth hostel

I stayed at a "double bed" dorm with another female stranger, that i have my own cabinet and locker. There are even a table and 2 chairs. The room is spacious and brilliant on the whole.

Unique Quality: With own restaurant offering buffet breakfast at a price of € 6,10
    Free morning sauna which is included in the room rate
    With card-operated phone, internet and kiosk

Directions: reached by tram no.12

• Affordable Place to Sleep in Helsinki

This hostel is convenient to the OVERNIGHT ferries from Stockholm, but not all that close to the day trip ferries from Tallinn. In any case, it is close to public transport (trams to downtown pass by) and walking to the train station is only a leisurely twenty minutes. I'm a mature traveler and I stayed at the Eurohostel in early December 2004. I found the place to be clean, quiet, with a friendly staff. The bathrooms and showers were adequate. The double rooms are spacious, with a closet, shelves, work desk and windows that open. My only complaint I have about Eurohostel are the mattresses. Mine was so very thin and uncomfortable that I doubled the duvet and tried to fashion a feather bed, but even that left me feeling like I was sleeping on a brick floor. I have slept in many "cheap beds" but this was the worst. There is a handy restaurant in the lobby area.

Comments