Pohjoinen Rautatiekatu 23, Helsinki, Southern Finland, 00100, Finland

gordonilla's Profile Photo

A central location!

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 6, 2013

I am not sure I would have selected the Hotel Helka as a first choice – it was booked as part of a flight and hotel deal with British Airways. Although it was comfortable it was a rather basic kind of a hotel. The room I was in was rather small as was the shower/toilet area. There were very minimum comforts although the wifi was good enough. I had a room quite high up so was not so noisy.

The breakfast was rather basic but ample I think for a short stay, but I recall having eaten dinner there and this was much better. They seem to have a busy bar and coffee lounge area.

I tried to buy a Helsinki Card from the reception. They told me they did sell them but the receptionist on duty could not sell me one. After some pressing, it seemed as if she was not licenced to sell them; they had two staff who could and neither was working.

I called into the tourist office later that day – and they did not know what the receptionist was speaking about. Although they were surprised that the hotel sold Helsinki Cards as they were not on their distribution list!

All in all a rather hit and miss experience!

Unique Quality: I am not sure there is anything unique with this hotel!

Turska's Profile Photo

Cheap parking, great location

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 13, 2013

We had booked another hotel, but day before I just happened to check if there is any cheap offers on hotels. Helka was quite cheap, but then I noticed, that they do have FREE parking for first arrivals at their background, only 10e parking at thei garage and even if we would need to use Forum parking hall, it would be only 15e per night! It is VERY CHEAP in Helsinki. Cheapest hotel parking we have seen, has been 23e per night!
Hotel is clean and rooms in good condition, nothing to complain. Or maybe one think if you ask my husband. TV was quite poor! Some channels didn´t show well, and those witch did, wasn´t very clear anyway. Strange, but not a problem.
And o.k., I would have liked to have one doubble bed instead of two singles put together.
Breakfast was quite good! It was also nice to have some sweet bakings at morning, when you are on holliday. It was sunday, so I´m nt sure if there is as much sweet opinions at weekdays.
Location was great for us, when we were going for a rock concert at Tavastia club, 5min walk from here. And Kampii shopping centre was just next to it.
The room wasn´t so nice looking in our eyes, when we do not like this classic Scandinavian design so much, but I´ve heard some people telling how they just love how it looks. And there are some differences at rooms, we had bad luck getting the one with big blue wall (just kidding.. but we hate everyhting blue if it´s not in nature).

Unique Quality: You can use sauna, you have VERY CHEAP parking offered and at least at our room we had our own balcony!! Too bad it was winter.
It is known about Finnish design, and some people even call it design hotel. Only design to our liking was Harri Koskinen´s Block-lamp. Witch we do have at home also..

Directions: In the corner of Runeberginkatu and Pohjoinen rautatienkatu. (katu means street)

Arianasarah866's Profile Photo

Smelka hotel more like

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 20, 2007

The room was clean and the bed was comfy. The design of the interior was modern. Thats the only good things I can say sadly. We stayed 4 nights here and the bedding was never changed, the towels we used were taken away but not replaced, even our Do not disturb sign was taken away after one use. Our sink was broken which the hotel did fix however we spent the rest of the holiday with no plug. The thermostat was broken so our room was set to permanantly boiling which was sad because being on the street, opening a window was very noisy. But the worst thing was the smell in the bathroom. I assume it was the drains as the bathroom looked clean, however that smell permeated the whole room and we couldnt get rid of it. Stagnant water is horrible and all we could smell was rotting cabbages. It got so bad we had to keep putting mint airfreshner everywhere which did not work .very disappointing indeed. breakfast was ok.

Unique Quality: The smell. Horrendous!

Directions: out of town a little.

timtregenza's Profile Photo

A standard business hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 30, 2003

The hotel helka is a standard business hotel with a decent enough restaurant.

It does have a nice adjoining bar in which to sit and drink. Given that Finnish alcohol prices are so high anyway, it did not seem too expensive.

by written on August 26, 2002

On weekdays for one 97 € (82 USD), for two 120 € (100 USD) and weekends for one 67 € (57 USD), for two 90 € (77 USD).

Unique Quality: Nice clean hotel near the action in Helsinki city center.

Gili_S's Profile Photo

Hotel Helka

by written on August 25, 2002

This hotel is in the very center of the city, not far from the station and shopping area. but might be a bit noisy as lots of traffic going on here all day and night.

Nearby Helka

• Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Helsinki Travel Forum

Need advice about Helsinki, Finland? Visit the Travel Forum for Helsinki and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Helsinki hotel reviews

Pub Tram
City Bikes
Finnair
Transportation
VAPIANO (Old name was Texas & Eatz)
Tavastia
Vanha
Teatteri
Cafe Ursula
Restaurants
Washing carpets at the beach
Local Customs
Eating out on a Sunday?
A sporting bar dinner
Gastropub
Restaurants
A first floor dinner venue
Taidehalli aka Kunsthalle
The Kirpila Art Collection
Design Museum
Virka Gallery
Things to Do
In the Vanha Kauppahalli (old market hall)
Restaurants
In the heart of the City