Helka

Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

A central location!

I am not sure I would have selected the Hotel Helka as a first choice – it was booked as part of a flight and hotel deal with British Airways. Although it was comfortable it was a rather basic kind of a hotel. The room I was in was rather small as was the shower/toilet area. There were very minimum comforts although the wifi was good enough. I had a room quite high up so was not so noisy.

The breakfast was rather basic but ample I think for a short stay, but I recall having eaten dinner there and this was much better. They seem to have a busy bar and coffee lounge area.

I tried to buy a Helsinki Card from the reception. They told me they did sell them but the receptionist on duty could not sell me one. After some pressing, it seemed as if she was not licenced to sell them; they had two staff who could and neither was working.

I called into the tourist office later that day – and they did not know what the receptionist was speaking about. Although they were surprised that the hotel sold Helsinki Cards as they were not on their distribution list!

All in all a rather hit and miss experience!

Unique Quality: I am not sure there is anything unique with this hotel!

• Turska's Profile Photo

Cheap parking, great location

We had booked another hotel, but day before I just happened to check if there is any cheap offers on hotels. Helka was quite cheap, but then I noticed, that they do have FREE parking for first arrivals at their background, only 10e parking at thei garage and even if we would need to use Forum parking hall, it would be only 15e per night! It is VERY CHEAP in Helsinki. Cheapest hotel parking we have seen, has been 23e per night!
    Hotel is clean and rooms in good condition, nothing to complain. Or maybe one think if you ask my husband. TV was quite poor! Some channels didn´t show well, and those witch did, wasn´t very clear anyway. Strange, but not a problem.
    And o.k., I would have liked to have one doubble bed instead of two singles put together.
    Breakfast was quite good! It was also nice to have some sweet bakings at morning, when you are on holliday. It was sunday, so I´m nt sure if there is as much sweet opinions at weekdays.
    Location was great for us, when we were going for a rock concert at Tavastia club, 5min walk from here. And Kampii shopping centre was just next to it.
    The room wasn´t so nice looking in our eyes, when we do not like this classic Scandinavian design so much, but I´ve heard some people telling how they just love how it looks. And there are some differences at rooms, we had bad luck getting the one with big blue wall (just kidding.. but we hate everyhting blue if it´s not in nature).

Unique Quality: You can use sauna, you have VERY CHEAP parking offered and at least at our room we had our own balcony!! Too bad it was winter.
    It is known about Finnish design, and some people even call it design hotel. Only design to our liking was Harri Koskinen´s Block-lamp. Witch we do have at home also..

Directions: In the corner of Runeberginkatu and Pohjoinen rautatienkatu. (katu means street)

• Arianasarah866's Profile Photo

Smelka hotel more like

The room was clean and the bed was comfy. The design of the interior was modern. Thats the only good things I can say sadly. We stayed 4 nights here and the bedding was never changed, the towels we used were taken away but not replaced, even our Do not disturb sign was taken away after one use. Our sink was broken which the hotel did fix however we spent the rest of the holiday with no plug. The thermostat was broken so our room was set to permanantly boiling which was sad because being on the street, opening a window was very noisy. But the worst thing was the smell in the bathroom. I assume it was the drains as the bathroom looked clean, however that smell permeated the whole room and we couldnt get rid of it. Stagnant water is horrible and all we could smell was rotting cabbages. It got so bad we had to keep putting mint airfreshner everywhere which did not work .very disappointing indeed. breakfast was ok.

Unique Quality: The smell. Horrendous!

Directions: out of town a little.

• timtregenza's Profile Photo

A standard business hotel

The hotel helka is a standard business hotel with a decent enough restaurant.

It does have a nice adjoining bar in which to sit and drink. Given that Finnish alcohol prices are so high anyway, it did not seem too expensive.

• Helka

On weekdays for one 97 € (82 USD), for two 120 € (100 USD) and weekends for one 67 € (57 USD), for two 90 € (77 USD).

Unique Quality: Nice clean hotel near the action in Helsinki city center.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Hotel Helka

This hotel is in the very center of the city, not far from the station and shopping area. but might be a bit noisy as lots of traffic going on here all day and night.

More about Helka

Places to eat in Helsinki 2/6 - Lunch buffets

by eriste

Golden Rax Pizzabuffet, two in Centrum, Mikonkatu 8, Mannerheimintie 20, if you are really hungry.
Salad, soup, lasagne, chicken, several pizzas, coffee etc. as much as you can eat.
Price 8,95 Euro (autumn 2010)
Ice cream with extra price 1,00.

Perho, Restaurant of the School for Hotel and Restaurant staff at Mechelininkatu 7 .
Lunch buffet every day (and of course a la carte). Sometimes everything in service does not work but you can be the first customer ever for the waiter/waitress studying to be one.

Oriental lunch buffet which have existed for many years :
Ani, Telakkakatu 2/Hernesaarenkatu 5, Turkish Armenian

Konstan Möljä, Hietalahdenkatu 14 which tries to give finnish food.

Manala, Dagmarinkatu 2,
Lunch buffet Monday to Friday, with soup and good salad buffet, coffee or dessert and main course ordered from the menu.
At the same place also nightlife, open until 4.00 A.M.
(At the same block are located Jazz Restaurant Storyville, Museokatu 8, music from 22:00 p.m. and St Urhos Pub which was a legendary Pub 20 years ago. St Urhos Pub is still popular but nothing special any more, meals also available there.)

Taivis Eteläinen Hesperiankatu 40
The Cafe Bar of Taivallahti Tennis Hall. From Salad buffet to full buffet, 7 to 10 Euros - from Monday to Friday. The place is actually a small and dull place. In summertime sunny terrace outside.

Some Hotel Restaurant Buffets:
- Arthur, Hotel Arthur, Vuorikatu 19. Lunch buffet 2009 for 10,20- Euros ,usually also on saturdays.
- Hotel Helka, Pohj. Rautatiekatu 23 autumnn 2009 everyday - weekdays 8 ,50

Cafe Caisa, Mesopotamia, Mikonkatu 17 C, Kurd food, lunch buffet 8.20 Euros from Monday to Saturday

Several other lunch buffet places can be found from Monday to Friday.

All lunch buffets are cheeper from Monday to Friday than in weekends and then the price is usually around 8,50 Euro and maximum about 10 Euro

My favourite places listed above are Arthur, Caisa, Perho and Manala

Any cheap accomodation ?

by matfzapofqq

I will probably go to helsinki on october but I saw the price for hotel rooms and I find it quite expensive, do you know some more affordable ?
Thank you.

by marcoelectric

Hi,

I was there during August... there are 5 or 6 hostel, I've been to the Stadion Hostel (about 18 euro but not so nice, and to the Academica Hostel, very nice but it's probably closed now cause the summer is finished).
I didn't save the website with all the list for Finland, but if you type "Hostelling international" + Finland on Google you should find an excellent website with all the list and many information!

Ciao

Re: Re: Any cheap accomodation ?

by Gili_S

Well, there are not really any cheap hotels here, try maybe to check few smaller hotels:

Hotel Arthur: www.hotelarthur.fi

Hotel Anna: www.hotelanna.com

Hotel Helka: www.helka.fi

But if you don't mind to use hostels, they are a bit cheaper, check the following sites:

www.stadionhostel.com

www.eurohostel.fi

by kimmo_v

-Try thi gasthause. This is extremely well located(just some 20 meters from railway station!), and as far as i know the prices are good value.

Gasthaus Omapohja, Itäinen Teatterikuja 3 A, 00100 Helsinki, tel. 09-666 211, fax 09-62228 0053

-This place a single room is 60 Euros, and they speak fluently english, german, italy and french. Nice location.

by groovemc

Just back a couple of weeks - we stayed in Hotel Ava and Hotel Helka.
Ava is a basic hotel and is not very central but there are great transport connections ( even a bus at night). If your getting bus 615 from the airport, ask to be left off at Helsinki Business College. Hotel Helka is a lot more central and nicer, but costs a bit more. About 10 / 15 minutes walk from Railway Stn.
One more thing - for some strange reason, Finnish hotels seem to have cheaper rates at the weekends than weekdays. Great city, great people - Enjoy!

Re: Re: Any cheap accomodation ?

by Gili_S

>Posted by: groovemc
>One more thing - for some strange reason, Finnish hotels seem to have cheaper rates at the weekends than weekdays...

Not strange at all, most hotels in Helsinki/Finland occupant by business travellers, so during weekends the hotels has much more space available, that’s why they charge less during trying to be more attractive to private people & families.

Comments